Author Topic: Not at all about China  (Read 5212 times)

Vince G

RE: Not at all about China
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2009, 08:44:49 am »
I don't know about anyone else but I'm freaking out that this week makes for the 40th Anniversary of Woodstock?? :s  :icon_cool:
« Last Edit: June 22, 2009, 08:46:30 am by Vince G »

Offline Joshua Smith

• Eastern Scorpion
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2009, 01:49:32 pm »
lol Vince. I wasn't born for a decade after the fact.

I've decided to keep trying regular exercise and eating healthy. I may be addicted to sugar but I'm trying my hardest to ween myself off of it slowly over time. With luck, I'll have lost the weight I want to in order to make myself more attractive for my Jessie. (And generally feel better about myself) I'm not a big guy. I've actually talked to my co-workers the other day (Two 20 year old girls) about my feelings of being fat and they nearly ripped me a new one. lol They said I'm not fat. I sent Jessie a picture of myself shirtless and she told me I'm fat. I told this to the two girls and they started ripping Jessie a new one lol. Culture is way different in this issue apparently. Westerners are generally bigger boned compared to Chinese men so I believe that's why Jessie said I was fat. Because I am, compared to "Chinese men". But compared to Western men, I'm pretty skinny. I'm approximately 5'10" ish and 150 pounds ish. I'm thinking I should increase the amount I exercise I do too.

Thank you all for the massive amount of information on the subject. I appreciate it and I'm sure when someone else has the same problems, they'll appreciate it too having the answers they need already here.. :icon_biggrin:
"I'm somewhere where I don't know where I am."   ~ Homer Simpson ~
"Everything is something."   ~ Marge Simpson ~

Offline China Shark

« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2009, 02:10:38 pm »
Josh, don't sweat the comments from Jessie. Yes, you are right about the different perceptions from both cultures. Dude, some of these
Chinese guys are the scrawniest most sickly human specimens I've ever encountered in life. The big boned part is also true too. If you are 5'10" and 150 lbs you are of slight build. Need to start increasing natural protein intake as well as protein shakes in combination with heavy weight training. There is no easy way to look good. All due respects Skipper this kid needs just good honest blood sweat and tears to become a healthier individual. Start a running regimen 5-6 x a week, will eliminate inches off the spare tire and waist in months. I ran about 2 miles a night 5-6 x a week in combination with bodybuilding and lost several inches off my waist when I was living in Japan. No pain no gain, more effort you put into it the rewards you will reap in the long run. If there are any skeptics out there check my profile pix and tell me I look 46 years old. Utilize this time you have now to put on some muscle prior to moving here. I love showing off my guns to my students and friends. It will show Jessie that you care so much about her that you are willing to become even better just for her.
China Shark Mike
Living life the way it should be. Following the path less traveled!!!!!!!!!

Offline Joshua Smith

• Eastern Scorpion
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2009, 02:25:29 pm »
I took offense to her comment at first, but then thought about the culture differences and it made me feel better and not offended at all. She's used to seeing what seems to be, anorexic men in her daily life lol. Thanks for the encouragement, Michael. I did do some crazy weight lifting when I was younger for about 6 months....I never felt more healthy in my entire life back then. I need to get into that again but it's hard when I don't have an exercise partner. Back then, I had 4. All 4 are now too busy with their daily lives. One moved to a different Province, one joined the Navy, another is a workaholic and I never see him and the last, I lost contact with over the years. Plus, since my wage is low, I can't afford to join a gym and save up for China at the same time. So I do what I can in my spare time at home. I have an old treadmill I got for free, some weights (but no weight bench) and I go jogging outside as well. And of course, I do push-ups, sit-ups, etc. i originally took that shirtless picture as my "before" picture. That was like 6 months ago, I probably should take another one soon.

Vince G

« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2009, 03:16:51 pm »
Josh, Mike is right. Correct exercise and eating correctly will do it. Check around on the web and other places for a bench and such. People not using these things anymore sell them pretty cheap. Craigslist? is another (biggie here in the States). I've been 6 foot since the Woodstock days :s but I think the weight went up 10 lbs every decade? I wasn't big on exercising but the jobs I had was exercise enough. Pic in my 20's, Im Not flexing either. I don't have photo's the ex's took them? All I have are long shirt sleeved photos left so? I'll be working out too before I go to China.  
[attachment=213]

Offline Norb Smith

« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2009, 04:36:22 pm »
Hey Vince you were a good lookin kid.......What happe ned..........:icon_biggrin:
To have good neighbors, you need to be a good neighbor

Vince G

« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2009, 04:57:49 pm »
Age and gravity?  :icon_biggrin:

Offline Rhonald

• Ziyan Zhou (Yan)
  • Moderators
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2009, 06:26:22 pm »
https://www.tmuscle.com/index.jsp And if no bench, no sweet - plenty of different pushups can help you and Chin ups and dips for the upper body. Just carring heavy stuff for distance works the legs. It is actually easy and cheap to get in shape if you use your initutive. But yes having a training partner helps. Or you can call some badass names and run for your life. Motivation for survival.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2009, 06:30:41 pm by Rhonald »
Life....It's all about finding the Chicks and Balances

Offline Skip

• Foreign Explorer
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2009, 07:26:17 pm »
At the risk of venturing off into the deep end again, I have a thought.  I think it applies to women in every culture--even to F**ked up American women.  It came from a man, Marlin Howell, who earned his PhD. in family systems from Emory University in Philadelphia.  He was a mentor to me until he spun his experimental aircraft (coincidentally the same plane John Denver met his fate in) into the rough terrain near Little Rock, AR, killing him and his passenger.   I think it is a maxim:  "No woman can love a man she doesn't respect.  No woman can respect a man she can control".  

Life is short, live it large.

Skip
Skip

Offline Joshua Smith

• Eastern Scorpion
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2009, 09:31:17 pm »
So, I just got back from seeing Transformers 2....... The original topic of this thread lol

EPIC!!!

For all the action movie junkies, best freaking action movie to date. Go see it!

Megan Fox in slow motion.......Enough said. :angel:

Offline Josh Markley

• Inmate #cqa1265789
    • http://joshchinaadventure.blogspot.com/
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2009, 02:35:25 am »
Since when did this turn into a steriods forum?
I have to say dont sweet it Josh, I hardly doubt she really think you are over weight.  Compared to the men she sees on a daily basis western men are built bigger.  My girl jokes about my weight to but always tells me she likes it.  She cant wait to lay on my fat stoach she says.  It cracks me up.  She thinks then men in china are to skinny.  So here is my two cents being the trainer I am or used to be.  Get your mind right.  Want to put on muscle?  Get the knowledge.  Ask Mike or me.  Want to lose the weight?  Limit your sweets haha.  Get the knowledge.  Ask Mike or me.  I dont mind helping out.  Mike and I have another common bond.  I used to be a competitive bodybuilder.  And I trained competitive bodybuilders for a living.  So i might know a little bit.  hope that helps Joshman
« Last Edit: June 24, 2009, 02:48:32 am by Josh Markley »
麥杰德
QQ 859407630

Offline China Shark

« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2009, 04:17:10 am »
Josh speaking of expertise I need some help finding protien shake suppliments not containing any wheat gluten. I have celiac disease therefore I get a severe allergic reaction everytime I encounter something containing it.
Shark

Offline China Shark

« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2009, 07:28:35 am »
There are yet sometimes they still contain barley and other grains that make the celiac react to it. Anything that remotely has wheat in it makes me real sick and I break out. It is in so many products and as up to just recently the FDA was not requiring companies to disclose
all the contents. It can be in hair products, vitamins, most of the time it is just used as a binding agent. Figuired since Josh is really up on that stuff he might know of someone in a similiar situation and what they use.
Shark

Offline Josh Markley

• Inmate #cqa1265789
    • http://joshchinaadventure.blogspot.com/
« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2009, 12:31:43 pm »
Hey Shark look in to egg white protein powder.  i switched to it a few years back.  tasteless add it to any drink.  I am not sure what kind of supplements you can get there, but look up optimum nutrition.  This stuff is way better than whey, haha.  You gaining or losin bro.  When I am gaining i never use a powder supplement.  I make my home made protein.  6 whole eggs, a cup of milk, 4 tbs peanut butter, 4 cups of orange juice.  some vanilla.  Kinda like an orange julius.  I went from 205 to 250 in three months.  I was pounding down 10,000 calories.
麥杰德
QQ 859407630

Offline Joshua Smith

• Eastern Scorpion
« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2009, 12:37:14 pm »
Josh M.

Thanks a bunch. I'm sure I'll hit you up for some answers when it's time.

Michael/mpo

My best friend growing up was severely allergic to nuts. When we were young, we went camping and we brought along some Tim Horton donuts. There was one donut with the chopped peanuts on top of the icing. he didn't eat that donut....but one of those tiny fragments got attached to one of the other donuts and he consumed it.....almost died that day. It's insane what one little fragment of a peanut can do. The peanut is mightier than the sword. :exclamation: