Author Topic: Cheap Flights  (Read 15810 times)

David5o

RE: Cheap Flights
« Reply #120 on: March 07, 2010, 07:30:21 pm »
Vince ....

Sure the ports charge docking fees, but do you ever see them listed on your ticket as an extra? The same with airline tickets in the past, airport fees were just a part of the cost of your airfare.

Jeez, can you imagine Carbon tax on a liner???  How many tons of fuel do those things take on, for a cruise around the Caribbean!!  hahaha!!!

David....

Offline Bee964

• Found someone!
  • Dave & YanLing
« Reply #121 on: March 07, 2010, 08:32:17 pm »
Quote from: 'mustfocus' pid='33434' dateline='1267975991'

Which site was that?  That'd be handy...

If you haven't booked your seats yet, make sure you check out www.seatguru.com to plan that out and try to book those seats.  You wouldn't believe how convenient it was for me.

I am not at home so I don't have my computer. I am at my parents place in florida. If I can find it again I will try to post a link to it. I found that feature very helpful in choosing which day to fly from any airline. I did check out seat guru, I was just to the point that I could not justify saving $10 with another $50 worth of effort and said to myself screw continuing checking and book the flight. I'm a lot more worried with seeing if we have chemistry rather than saving another $10. And don't get me wrong, I'm all for saving money. It is just that I was more concerned with the reason for the flight, meeting her. We could struggle and check and investigate as well as shop untill we are blue in the face and find that it is a never ending saga. You ultimately have to say book the damn flight and live with your decision.

Dave C

Quote from: 'David5o' pid='33471' dateline='1268008221'

Vince ....

Sure the ports charge docking fees, but do you ever see them listed on your ticket as an extra? The same with airline tickets in the past, airport fees were just a part of the cost of your airfare.

Jeez, can you imagine Carbon tax on a liner???  How many tons of fuel do those things take on, for a cruise around the Caribbean!!  hahaha!!!

David....

David...
We are going to be taxed untill we have nothing left to give, except body parts and I'm surprised that there is no tax on some of those body parts!!! Revenue Canada auditor says to you during your audit..."Oh, I see you are married and being pleasured by your wife, there is a tax on that." Maybe I should shut up and not give them any ideas....

Dave C
« Last Edit: March 07, 2010, 08:58:51 pm by Bee964 »
Life is like a jar of Jalapenos-- What you eat today will burn your ass tomorrow!.

Offline mustfocus

« Reply #122 on: March 07, 2010, 09:43:04 pm »
Quote from: 'Bee964' pid='33477' dateline='1268011937'

I am not at home so I don't have my computer. I am at my parents place in florida. If I can find it again I will try to post a link to it. I found that feature very helpful in choosing which day to fly from any airline. I did check out seat guru, I was just to the point that I could not justify saving $10 with another $50 worth of effort and said to myself screw continuing checking and book the flight. I'm a lot more worried with seeing if we have chemistry rather than saving another $10. And don't get me wrong, I'm all for saving money. It is just that I was more concerned with the reason for the flight, meeting her. We could struggle and check and investigate as well as shop untill we are blue in the face and find that it is a never ending saga. You ultimately have to say book the damn flight and live with your decision.

Dave C

Actually, I meant the seat physically, not the ticket.  The ticket you have.  But where you sit on the plane can determine what condition you'll be in when you get there.  For example, with seatguru, I know Cathay planes use those funky power adapters, so I have one.  Or that one of the video distribution systems is under that chair, so if I want to put my laptop under the seat, I can't do it if I'm sitting there, or more importantly, how far back I can tilt my chair for when I want to sleep.. :icon_cheesygrin:  That kind of stuff.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2010, 09:45:34 pm by mustfocus »
梦醒时分 - Meng Xing Shi Fen

Vince G

« Reply #123 on: March 07, 2010, 11:00:34 pm »
Dave (50), No actually as I said somewhere in here, I fly JetBlue. No tickets. I print the boarding pass from online. So maybe there is something somewhere that gives the breakdown of costs but... F. it. There's no choice is there?

Dave C, Where in Fl are you?

Offline Bee964

• Found someone!
  • Dave & YanLing
« Reply #124 on: March 08, 2010, 02:08:09 am »
Vince,

I know you are in florida too, right? I am in Sarasota right now. I have absolutely no plans other than relax and get myself ready for Singapore. I will be here untill about the 23rd or 24th. Am  I  far from you? If you want to meet up I have navigation in the car. All I need is an address. Gas here is cheap too. $2.65/gal. We pay about $4.00/gal in Canada.

Dave C

Mustfocus,

Yes I did check out the seat. I had said in an earlier post I cannot sleep when someone else is driving. (flying) I am trying to figure out a way to overcome this. The only seat that I could not stand was once I had one just in front of a bulkhead. You cannot put the seat back in those seats. Being over the ocean for most of the flight there won't be much to see out of the window. I chose an isle seat. I don't mind getting up to let people out. I know the emergency exit seats have more room but these always go first anyways. I know that I will look like crap when I get there. I have told her this and also that I won't be able to sleep on the plane. She has to work the next morning and the plane lands at 11:35 pm. I don't expect her to meet me at the airport, but I am hoping that she does though! She suggested that she wakes me up the next morning. I told her this is ok but I sleep nude. I don't think I will sleep much before I meet her. I also don't want to be so wiped out that I fall asleep on her. The first little while there will be very trying for me. I just want to put forward a reasonable first impression.

Dave C
Life is like a jar of Jalapenos-- What you eat today will burn your ass tomorrow!.

Vince G

« Reply #125 on: March 08, 2010, 07:39:44 pm »
Your a few hours (3+) ride away and on the other side (west) I'm on the east coast. If I can free up some time  I'll let you know.

Offline Bee964

• Found someone!
  • Dave & YanLing
« Reply #126 on: March 08, 2010, 07:45:03 pm »
I was thinking of taking some time over there. I have no plans other than this friday morning. I should leave by the morning of march 24th at the latest. Let me know. My plans are very flexible while I'm here.

Dave C

David5o

« Reply #127 on: March 09, 2010, 09:53:06 am »
Vince,

I guess things are a bit different for internal flights, i think the international rules and reg's are somewhat different. But as you say... you can't do anything about it anyway....

David.......

David5o

« Reply #128 on: March 09, 2010, 01:43:31 pm »

Just found a list, or part list of the Extra's associated with air travel from Travelzoo....

* Unless otherwise indicated, companies listing fares on
Travelzoo may not include all applicable taxes, charges and
government imposed fees. The following overview has been
prepared to give you an idea of what additional fees and
taxes may apply.

Hmmmm, don't know why they say this, as in the UK and Europe, it is now obligatory
to clearly state the ''Total Cost'' of the flight, holiday, or service where air travel is involved!!

*Passenger Service Charge:  All UK air departures now incur a
nominal passenger service charge. This fee is imposed by the
airline to cover the cost of airport passenger facilities.
This is a per person fee.

Hang on a minute, ...isn't that a part of what the airlines pay to these airports in there
fee's to operate at that airport?? It always was, for as far back as i can remember!!!
How long before they start charging for Arrivals as well???

*Airport Taxes:  UK or international government-imposed taxes
for departure and arrivals.

*Insurance and Security Surcharge: Since September 11, the
majority of airlines have added a levy to cover additional
security measures and insurance.

What extra airline security are they talking about here?? It's the airport that
undertakes security, and that's part of the service that the airlines pay for in
there airport fees!!!  They actually want the passengers to pay for the airlines insurance!!!!
???

*Fuel Levy: In reaction to rising oil costs, many airlines
have imposed a fuel surcharge to flight bookings. These are
included in most scheduled fares but are additional for most
charter fares.

Don't believe it, ...All airlines both scheduled and charter use this ploy to charge extra's

*Booking or Service Fee: Many suppliers charge an additional
fee for handling your booking.

Now work that one out????

*Credit Card Fee:  A number of suppliers will charge a fee for
payment by credit card. This may be a percentage of
the total fare.

*Ticket on Departure:  Dependent on your departure dates
(generally for travel within 2-3 weeks of purchase), you may
also have to pay a 'Ticket on Departure' fee to collect your
tickets at the airport.

Now this is the way i have always got my ticket, from as far back as i remember.
So now they want a fee for a service that was aways free, to travel on there airline!!!

*Paper Ticket Charge:  Since the advent of e-ticketing,
airlines and other suppliers have increasingly added a
charge for issuing 'paper' (or traditional tickets).
This varies according to supplier.

Huh!! ...There are already some airlines that charge for these e-tickets

This is by no means a full list of the extras you may be expected to pay. some airline charge for selecting a seat(s), others are limiting baggage allowance, and expecting you to pay for the difference, while some consider baggage as an extra full stop!!! Some short to medium haul flights, on some airlines now charge for meals/refreshments....  
These Airlines and Airport Authorities are fast becoming institutions that has a prime objective of how to screw the passenger/customer out of as much money as possible!!!!

Makes you wonder if anyone will be able to afford to fly anywhere in years to come!!!!

David....
« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 02:28:38 pm by David5o »

Vince G

« Reply #129 on: March 09, 2010, 09:24:14 pm »
I also found a list of the "Extra's" associated with air travel...

Rule 1, Pay up or stay home.

All other rules, see #1

David5o

« Reply #130 on: March 10, 2010, 01:29:34 pm »
Vince,

That about sums it up Nicely!!!!  hahaha!!

David...