Author Topic: Getting through Chinese customs  (Read 3529 times)

Offline Hajo

Getting through Chinese customs
« on: June 19, 2009, 01:13:34 am »
What are the experiences of getting thorugh Chinese customs at the airport when you enter China for the first time? I have about 2 hours to catch my connection flight.
爱你的人如果没有按你所希望的方式来爱你,那并不代表他们没有全心全意地爱你。
Just because someone doesn't love you the way you want them to, doesn't mean they don't love you with all they have.

Offline China Shark

RE: Getting through Chinese customs
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2009, 01:22:42 am »
Depends on where you are flying in. When I flew into Shanghai and Hong Kong I had no problems at all. When I entered mainland China through Hong Kong the same. Chinese people are extremely cordial towards westerners. Truth be told they want you in and out so they don't have to speak that much English to you. The usual questions, purpose of you visit and you're on your way. Unless you are acting suspicious I wouldn't think about it at all. You are here to visit your girlfriend and see China.
China Shark Mike
Living life the way it should be. Following the path less traveled!!!!!!!!!

Offline RobertBfrom aust

• Sujuan [Yo ] is my tai tai
  • Robert and Sujuan [Yo ] at home .
    • bopads.info
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2009, 02:59:21 am »
Hajo , depends how you are arriving , if you are flying with a connecting flight I always have my bags checked to my destination from the beginning , they have not lost anything yet and when you get to your destination airport it is a miracle to see your case arrive on the carousel , they just put them through the xray after you get your bag and away you go , unless it is a busy time of the day you may take 10 minutes that is all it has ever taken me with night time arrivals into regional airports , regards Robert .
Now it is early to bed and late to rise .
My QQ is   1994376895
For electronics and books etc , check out , www.bopads.info

Offline Agarn

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2009, 03:27:43 am »
Hajo
You dont say where your flying to, in beijing your domestic flight will most likely be in a different terminal, HK airport is big with a lot of walking involved , but the customs/immigration is generaly smooth

Offline Jadams79

• http://www.myspace.com/norric_mitori
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2009, 09:42:32 am »
Customs is simple, just follow the signs have your bags exray and be done with it.  One of my trips through Chengdu I was randomly choosen for the search of the day it seems, was not a big deal.  A lot more friendly than the Psycho rentacops at LAX.  Oh ya piece of advice when the US asks you what was your duration of stay, or the reason, do not give them a smart ass answer, like, umm What does my passport say?  And when they ask if you are an American Citizen do not say, no I'm a walking meat puppet on a stick.  But the guy was an asshole to the person in front of me so he had it coming.  Then again he also looked at my drivers liscense and stated you cut your hair a few moments later, I had to commend him on his keen observation skills.  

Everything in China even when my bags were searched, was very polite, they get pissy with the Chinese that do not read the signs and wait behind lines, so be good and do not follow the Chinese lead when approaching customs officers hehe ^_^
Can't fix stupid.

Vince G

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2009, 10:03:39 am »
Flying out of NY. Had like a gym bag with some clothes (was just a weekend stay). I had a plastic bag on the bottom (for dirty clothes) but didn't use it this trip. I got pulled off the line and they wanted to check my bag? Fine. They used some kind of pad and wiped the bottom of the bag like looking for chemicals? They pulled some girl off the line too. I didn't say a word except fine, ok whatever I stayed very polite. I only said that the smaller bag inside was my electronics, which is was (phone charger, etc) he didn't even look in that bag? So whatever it took I got on the plane in plenty of time. The girl who complained? was getting body searched and was going to be there a long time.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2009, 10:05:20 am by Vince G »

Offline zook144

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2009, 12:17:43 pm »
I flew to Shenyang in April and was really surprised at the ease I got through customs. I went DC, Seoul, then to Shenyang. Security was about the same everywhere though. One thing I learned don't put your laptop in with a bunch of other items. i had to take it out through every security check and ended up taking everything out to get to the laptop. A real pain. (I didn't have a regular laptop case) The people at Seoul and Shenyang were very friendly and helpful. Now, when I came back, I landed in Atlanta. Geez, you could certainly tell you were back in the States. Security people had no patience, they had shut down half of the lanes you had to go through coming off an International flight. Had a very large lady yelling at people to go there and NOT go there, get in this line and the line stretched down 2 or 3 hallways.  Ahhhh...good to get home!
Don
The Journey Is The Destination

Offline Hajo

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2009, 01:22:52 pm »
Thanks for the information guys! I am going from Denmark to Netherlands to Beijing to Urumqi. I will check the luggage in for the whole trip. I would prefer not to bother with it on the way! I will only carry a smaller backpack!

Once again, thanks!
Just because someone doesn't love you the way you want them to, doesn't mean they don't love you with all they have.

Offline Chong

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2009, 04:33:59 am »
Quote from: 'Hajo' pid='6029' dateline='1245432172'

Thanks for the information guys! I am going from Denmark to Netherlands to Beijing to Urumqi. I will check the luggage in for the whole trip. I would prefer not to bother with it on the way! I will only carry a smaller backpack!

Once again, thanks!

You may want to check with your travel agent regards the transfer at Beijing airport. I'm assuning you're switching to a domestic China airline. When I flew to Shenyang from Beijing ... I had to switch terminals and airlines. I only had a carry-on but other people had to get their check-in luggage themselves for the new plane.

Offline Ed W

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2009, 05:03:11 am »
I must have missed the transfer station in Beijing since I got through customs without any check of any kind and ended up in a sea of people and back at the ticket checking area. I must have not been paying attention or something but with that screwup I made my flight with 10 minutes to spare. Somewhere in that large area where you collect your bags must be some place to go through customs and not exit back into the general area like I did.
Alright earthlings, what form do you want me to take?....How about a taco, ....that craps icecream?  My trip to china

Offline Hajo

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2009, 07:44:39 am »
Chong, I am flying with Southern China Airlines from Netherlands to Urumqi. I will ask SCA in Netherlands how they will handle the stuff!

Thanks Ed, I will try to avoid the crowd, he he!