Author Topic: Badminton  (Read 4642 times)

Offline Chris

Badminton
« on: April 23, 2009, 10:33:34 pm »
I've looked at a lot of profiles, and many of them say that they love badminton. Badminton? Really?  :shock: Is it really that popular?

Now I'm secretly hoping to read a profile where the girl is into curling.
And when I get excited my little China girl says, "Oh baby just you shut your mouth."

Chong

Re: Badminton
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2009, 04:37:07 am »
Actually, the Chinese women national curling team just won this year's World Curling Championship and they're quite the celebrities in China now.

I believe also that the Chinese won Gold Medals in Badminton at the recent Beijing Olympics.

Offline Irishman

• Muireadach and Sunny
    • http://www.chinaromance.net
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2009, 05:43:09 am »
It is popular, my Ling likes it too, that and Ping Pong.
Become the change you want today, or all your tomorrows will be like yesterday.

Offline cHi

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2009, 05:09:19 pm »
It's also not badminton like you remember as a kid - I watched a video where this guy hit the badminton birdie through a watermelon... that's scary (O.o)  But yes, badminton is very popular, along with ping pong, which is great because I love it (and incidentally spent way too much time playing ping pong in college LoL)

Offline Peter

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2009, 01:14:25 am »
I played some Ping Pong when I was young and played quite good too for a amateur... When I played with my lady she was as good as me so we had a good game.. She is really quite good. I guess that Ping Pong is something that every one plays but you need a table and and have to be indoors to play it. Badminton you can play everywhere..
Better to be married to a wife from Changsha then have 7000 women in Chnlove

Offline Ed W

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2009, 09:14:19 am »
Xindi and I were coming back from a big day and walked through the park on the way home. We saw a bunch of people hitting an over-sized badminton birdie around, kinda like hacky-sack. I've yet to see any badminton courts or nets but since it's just spring here and things are beginning to bloom i'd imagine the nets will be up fairly soon.
Alright earthlings, what form do you want me to take?....How about a taco, ....that craps icecream?  My trip to china

Offline Jadams79

• http://www.myspace.com/norric_mitori
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2009, 10:47:17 pm »
My girl plays as well, I can see the headlines, Okie killed by birdie by a girl named after a bird.  ^_^
Can't fix stupid.

Arnold

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2009, 09:09:24 am »
You bet , Qing and I play'd both Badminton and Ping pong . She is quite good at it too . One might not see many Badminton court's in the City Parks , because they are mostly indoors . The one we went to was packed with People waiting for a court . Ping Pong was easier to get a Table . One would think it's the other way around . I myself havened play'd since my Teen's , but it's like Bicycling one never forget's , only becomes slower . We both Love it .

Offline Oiler1

RE: Badminton
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2009, 02:53:33 am »
Quote from: 'Peter' pid='1705' dateline='1240636465'

I played some Ping Pong when I was young and played quite good too for a amateur... When I played with my lady she was as good as me so we had a good game.. She is really quite good. I guess that Ping Pong is something that every one plays but you need a table and and have to be indoors to play it. Badminton you can play everywhere..

Table Tennis is very popular in the Asian countries and they are constantly world champions. Sweden is very strong in that sport too so I am not surprised you are good at it.

I play ping pong a lot and it is good that I can do so with so many people in different countries. It is played outdoors at times as I was in Russia playing it there.

feisnik

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2009, 10:28:39 pm »
According to the Chinese, these sports (Yu Mao Qiu and Ping Pong Qiu) were invented in China, so of course they are popular there! Badminton probably was, but for the "proof" of the Chinese inventing Table Tennis, see the movie, "Ping Pong Playa", LOL!

Offline Willy The Londoner

• Beyond The Dream in China
  • Board Moderator
  • Hair today - gone tomorrow!!
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2009, 12:24:07 am »
Since coming to China I have tried Ping - Pong.  Pong was OK with that but Ping was not happy!!

Willy
Willy The Lpndoner

Now in my 12th year living here,

Scottish_Rob

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2009, 09:52:25 am »
ROFLMAO  Willy your a bad man hehehehe:icon_cheesygrin::icon_cheesygrin:

Offline temur72

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2010, 01:47:05 pm »
Among the ethnincally Chinese students at my high school badminton was very popular (this was 20 years ago). Certainly more so then among caucasian students

Arnold

« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2010, 02:15:48 pm »
Like I have said before , Qing's very good at Ping Pong and as I found out .. it carries over onto the Tennis Court as well . We play weekly at a Court close to Home and she is quite a challenge . But we both make each other run very well . Alway's a nice workout .

Offline Willy The Londoner

• Beyond The Dream in China
  • Board Moderator
  • Hair today - gone tomorrow!!
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2010, 10:07:25 pm »
You walk out of the entrance to our apartment any evening and you have to duck the shuttle cocks flying everywhere.  

Badminton is on TV here almost as much as Ping pong.

Willy
Willy The Lpndoner

Now in my 12th year living here,