Author Topic: The potato  (Read 2104 times)

Offline Ed W

The potato
« on: June 27, 2009, 12:58:19 pm »
I got this Chenese neighbor who's a student that I hang with and enjoy drinks with. The other weekend I microwaved him a couple potatos since he was hungry. I doctored em up like I usually do, with butter and fresh ground pepper, and he was overjoyed at how much he loved them.

He was online last night and tells me he went out and bought a big bag of potatos and have been eating them all week. I mentioned putting sour cream on it and he didnt' know what that was. Next I'll mention Bacon Bits and Chives. LOL

Look how the simplest things can be so amazing.
Alright earthlings, what form do you want me to take?....How about a taco, ....that craps icecream?  My trip to china

Offline Irishman

• Muireadach and Sunny
    • http://www.chinaromance.net
RE: The potato
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2009, 01:06:46 pm »
Now I got a hankering for potato and I got none here!!
Thank you Ed, thank you a lot.
Become the change you want today, or all your tomorrows will be like yesterday.

Arnold

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2009, 01:19:38 pm »
It's funny you bring up the Potato . As Qing and I went to a couple American and European Restaurant's in Shanghai , she would NOT get herself to eat the poor Potato , no matter how they served them . Why ? Because of the believe their fattening compared to Rice . I think that will be hard for her to change here from Rice to Potato ,which is a such a big item on your Menu's . I'm not going to force it on her , but hope she will make it for me here and there , I love my Potato . Just like Ed described it ... with all the fixing's on it .

Offline Irishman

• Muireadach and Sunny
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2009, 01:20:49 pm »
Heinz baked beans(because nothing else comes close, they available outside the EU i wonder?)...steamed new potato..with lashings of melting cheese and butter on top, sprinkle of salt and pepper...omg...if Ling could see me now she'd have second thoughts haha!!

Offline Ed W

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2009, 01:26:03 pm »
This isnt another great Irish potato famine is it? hehe. Sorry to tortue ya Ronan. I just couldnt resist telling the story. lol
Alright earthlings, what form do you want me to take?....How about a taco, ....that craps icecream?  My trip to china

Offline Irishman

• Muireadach and Sunny
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2009, 01:40:08 pm »
It frikken well is in this household and because I'm supping my fourth can of Heineken i dare not hop into the car to drive to the local store (I live in the middle of nowhere so walking isnt an option)) to pick up some and get my spud fix!!
Somewhere out there Ed, Irish potato karma got your name on it..one day you might find your whole stock of them rotted or worse!!
Take that!

Offline MLM

• Zhou Li Weng Maines
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2009, 02:13:47 pm »
Arnold, I have fixed a baked Potato for Zhou when she first moved to Pa., she never had a potato in her life even though she had been in the States for 5 years, now I have to bake them at LEAST once a week, with butter, sour cream, and chives.

Ronan, spoken like atrue Irishman, hahaha.

Ed, she didn't want to try them before, said they looked wrong, now they are a staple food here, thank God.
TIME IS THE TELLER OF ALL TRUTHS AND THE HEALER OF ALL HURTS

Arnold

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2009, 02:17:16 pm »
Quote from: 'Michael L. Maines' pid='6715' dateline='1246126427'

Arnold, I have fixed a baked Potato for Zhou when she first moved to Pa., she never had a potato in her life even though she had been in the States for 5 years, now I have to bake them at LEAST once a week, with butter, sour cream, and chives.

Thanks Michael , that realy is comforting to know ... there is going to be a chance .:-/

Offline Ed W

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2009, 02:41:27 pm »
My wife loves sweet potato though. There's a way it's prepared where it's smothered in a sugary syrup that hardens quickly. It may sound funny but it made my wife very happy to see I enjoyed it. I think it's cause she enjoys them too and likes to have some common foods we both can enjoy.

When we were in Jilin and had purchased our train tickets back to Changchun, we decided to do some shopping since we had to wait another 3 hours till the departure. We found a street vendor selling baked sweet potato. She bought one, wrapped in plastic, and put it in her purse to eat laters. The funny part is she forgot about it till she found it in her purse later that evening. I burst out laughing and she soon followed since it was too funny to find it had shriveled up in the plastic and didn't appear so appetizing anymore. LOL.

Vince G

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2009, 02:45:06 pm »
Look what has happen? Now we talk of potato's?   How do they eat sweet potato with chopsticks? Never tried it.

Offline Ed W

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2009, 02:50:20 pm »
it's cut up to 1 inch pieces, like everything else. It's actually really good. You almost feel guilty eating it in the meal since it tastes more like a desert. It's very very good!

OH, and whaat's funny is when the sugar has cooled aand the disk is not one big mass of potatos all stuck together. Everyone dives in and it's a tug of war with chopsticks to pull it apart. hehe.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2009, 02:54:56 pm by Ed W »

Vince G

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2009, 02:56:50 pm »
Oh I had sweet potato's, but not with chopsticks. Mostly I buy yams (almost the same). You want sweet? Cook the sweet potato's peel the skin, mash them and then add marshmallow fluff, mix it in and bake a short time. Mmmmmmm good
« Last Edit: June 27, 2009, 02:57:21 pm by Vince G »