Author Topic: Is Certificate of No Impediment Required?  (Read 9048 times)

Offline Danny

RE: Is Certificate of No Impediment Required?
« Reply #30 on: November 25, 2009, 06:27:35 am »
Quote from: 'RobertBfrom aust' pid='23980' dateline='1259143363'

Danny , depending on your timing , maybe an official letter from the hatch,match and dispatch dept stating that they are the one and the same / translated into Chinese and then certified by Toorak rd might be the answer or send an email to Shanghai alert them to the hassle and include phone numbers of an official in Wuhan in a follow up email if required , good luck , Ying and Robert .

Yes, that's a good suggestion. One of the things we're doing next is to try to ask one of the managers of the Victorian registry to write to the Wuhan marriage registry to confirm that the documents are one and the same thing. Thanks for the suggestion. I'm just venting at the moment and not thinking at all straight . . . *laughs*

Offline David E

• David and Ming
  • Board Moderator
  • My favourite photo
« Reply #31 on: November 25, 2009, 06:34:15 am »
Danny

The Australian Registrars of Hatches, Matches and Despatches in every State issue the "Certificate of No Impediment to Marriage:...valid for 6 months from the date of aquisition.

This document is certified by the Foreign Affairs Dept in each Stae to comply with Chinese requirements.

These two docs. are then taken to your local Chinese Embassy/Consulate who translate them into the correct Chinese version of "Single Certificate" and attach it to the other two.

I have done this and it works !!

DavidE

ps...but I never used it though :):):):)

Vince G

« Reply #32 on: November 25, 2009, 07:35:47 am »
Dave E has the right idea, when they translate it have them put the heading "Single Certificate"

Offline Danny

« Reply #33 on: November 25, 2009, 04:12:12 pm »
Quote from: 'David E' pid='23982' dateline='1259148855'

I have done this and it works !!

DavidE

ps...but I never used it though :):):):)

Thanks for the suggestion. I think I will go ahead and obtain a Certificate of No Impediment, just to be safe. They said it wasn't necessary. But sometimes a handful of almost satisfactory documents adds up to one completely satisfactory one - I am a bureaucrat myself, I know how they think.

Do you think there is any connection between preparing these documents and the fact you never used it? I have a feeling that by the time I have got the effing thing done all I will want to do with it is set it alight *laughs*

Offline Danny

« Reply #34 on: November 26, 2009, 02:16:09 am »
I am not sure whether or not it is a resolved or anything, but today my woman was convinced it had all been worked in what I think is perfectly Chinese fashion.

You will recall that the marriage registry office were not happy with any of the certificates that had been prepared by the Victorian Registry of Births, Deaths or Marriages.

So the compromise we have all agreed on was for us to draw up a suitable "certificate" and for me to sign it. Mind you it is just a piece of paper, with no official status whatsoever. I have signed it, scanned it and sent it to to my dear woman, to include with all the other papers I have sent to the registry for translation and lodging.

For good measure I sent them the same text as on their certificate in an Australian statutory declaration form, witnessed by a police officer, with an official looking stamp at the bottom of the declaration.

It's a delightful solution because no-one has lost face. The marriage registry office have the certificate they insisted on. I have permission to marry my dear woman. The Victorian registry did not have to issue an irregular certificate. No-one had to back down and we're all happy. What a perfect solution! *laughs*

Who is to know how it really got worked out. It could have been the wedding sweets my future father-in-law was handing out a the registry office. It could have been the possibility of having a fuss with the Chinese embassy here in Melbourne. They might have just got sick of my dear woman and her old father coming day after day and asking them to reconsider. Who is to know?

Mind you, it is not really over until I am married, and they might change their minds or anything, but it was just delightful. Anyone who knows even a little about the place will know what I am talking about *laughs*
« Last Edit: November 26, 2009, 02:19:58 am by Danny »

Offline RobertBfrom aust

• Sujuan [Yo ] is my tai tai
  • Robert and Sujuan [Yo ] at home .
    • bopads.info
« Reply #35 on: November 26, 2009, 03:02:34 am »
Danny , well done , where there is a will , there is a way , regards Ying and Robert .
Now it is early to bed and late to rise .
My QQ is   1994376895
For electronics and books etc , check out , www.bopads.info

Offline zook144

« Reply #36 on: January 03, 2010, 07:39:28 pm »
Ok, I have read this thread  and still not sure what I read.  I had the bright idea to get all these documents ready, so if things progessed well with my lady in Handan, I would be all ready. (Plan on a trip in March)  But if I read correctly, the certificate of No Impediment is only valid for certain amount of time. (By the way I live in the USA).  I have finally found my Decree of Dissoulution of Marriage. But the only thing I have is a photocopy of the document signed by the judge and dated.  No notory or certification stamp. Do i have to contact the original state and county this took place in, and have them send me another certified copy?  Then, do I take this to an office in my current county and get the certificate of No Impediment?
Or do I go to an embassy to do this?  which there is none close by. Nearest would be DC, I guess.
I know some of you have gotten married within hours or days of arriving in China. Some the first time you actually met your lady. So you must have been prepared. So can anyone from the States (or elsewhere for that matter) clear this up for me.
Now don't get the wrong impression. I am not one to jump into things. I just figure it can't hurt to be prepared.

Birth certificate...I have
Passport....I have
Visa.....I have (expires in April, but thats renewable)
Decree of Dissolution of Marriage...(copy, not notorized)...I have

So what else do I need and where do I go to get it? :huh:
Thanks for reading my rambling.
Don
The Journey Is The Destination

ttwjr32

« Reply #37 on: January 03, 2010, 09:57:38 pm »
Don,
what you will need is to take your divorce papers to a notary and get it
notarized that you are divorced.

then it goes to the state for you single certificate

when that comes back take it to china with you

get it translated here for about 80 rmb i did mine were we
recieved the red books

and yes it is only good for 6 weeks so if you dont plan on
marrying the first trip then wait to do until you will marry

Offline Willy The Londoner

• Beyond The Dream in China
  • Board Moderator
  • Hair today - gone tomorrow!!
« Reply #38 on: January 03, 2010, 10:13:37 pm »
You sure it is not valid for six months?   Everything I bought with me in June expired in December.  As it is Chinese rules and not US or UK rules I imagine the validation period is six months.

Willy
Willy The Lpndoner

Now in my 12th year living here,

Vince G

« Reply #39 on: January 03, 2010, 11:34:38 pm »
Don, you had me thinking so I pulled out my divorce papers. It should have some sort of stamp on it (last page). I have only a copy also? I think that's all they give you? the org. stays on record (their files). I won't be doing all this for a few months so I'll check it later but just so you know. I think the single status is only good for a short time? If I remember right?

ttwjr32

« Reply #40 on: January 04, 2010, 04:32:34 am »
yes vince from the usa it is only good for 6 weeks when you recieve it

Vince G

« Reply #41 on: January 04, 2010, 10:03:14 am »
Here's the US Affidavit of Marital Status. Lets see if I can upload it in a PDF format? (use Adobe Reader)
[attachment=1262]

ttwjr32

« Reply #42 on: January 04, 2010, 10:26:52 am »
Vince,
thats the one you need to get notarized in the states
 and from that day it is good for 6 or 8 weeks i forget
 but when i did mine they asked me if i was going to marry
 in that time frame. sorry i dont remember if it was 6 or 8
 weeks    getting to old the memory is going  hahahahaa
 but everything else still is here and working   ah to be young
 and know what i know now

Offline Danny

« Reply #43 on: January 04, 2010, 03:58:12 pm »
Quote from: 'zook144' pid='27223' dateline='1262565568'

Ok, I have read this thread  and still not sure what I read.  I had the bright idea to get all these documents ready, so if things progessed well with my lady in Handan, I would be all ready. . . . Do i have to contact the original state and county this took place in, and have them send me another certified copy?  Then, do I take this to an office in my current county and get the certificate of No Impediment? Or do I go to an embassy to do this?  So what else do I need and where do I go to get it? :huh:
Thanks for reading my rambling.
Don

Don, different marriage registry offices in China have different requirements. The safest thing to do is to send copies of your documents to your woman and take them to the marriage registry office and check whether there is anything else you need. This kind of thing is best done by your woman. I have found things work a lot better in China when it is done on a person to person basis.

Most documents will need to be notarised by both one of your government offices (in Australia it is the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade) and by the Chinese emabassy. You can send these documents to the embassy through the mail and this might save you a trip.

Offline zook144

« Reply #44 on: January 04, 2010, 05:27:08 pm »
Thanks, everyone. At least it is clearer than before. The first thing i need to do is find out if the copy of my divorce decree is good enough since it does not have a seal stamp of any kind on it. If not, guess i will call the previous county I lived in many moons ago and have them send me one.  Sounds like I should hold off, though, getting the marital status certificate. Until I am sure "its the real thing"!  Hopefully will have an idea the first part of March. Can't wait. Really looking forward to the trip.

Thanks again
Don
The Journey Is The Destination