Author Topic: Sex and the Chinese Woman  (Read 14594 times)

Offline Darius

Sex and the Chinese Woman
« on: July 15, 2009, 07:59:13 am »
Sex and the Contemporary Chinese Woman
By CHEN XINXIN
ALTHOUGH the importance of a mutually fulfilling sex life has gained greater acknowledgement in China in recent years it is nonetheless a taboo topic. There have been few social surveys on this delicate subject, particularly as regards the degree of sexual satisfaction enjoyed by Chinese women. The 35-question survey on female attitudes to sex, formulated by the Chinese Sexology Society and the Chinese Medical Association, was, therefore, a major breakthrough. Sponsored by Sina.com and carried out in major Chinese cities from August to September 2004, the survey attracted 400,000 hits and drew 31,482 responses.
The point of the investigation was to analyze Chinese women’s sexual behavior and psychology. Intimate questions such as, “Is your sex life satisfying?”; “Have you ever had an extramarital affair?”; and “Do you feel inhibited about aspects of your sex life?” were both asked and answered. Chinese people are reticent when it comes to talking about sex. Only a few decades ago, the main point of sex and marriage was still to continue the family line, and as women did not expect to enjoy sex they did not talk about it. This attitude persists in rural areas, but the survey shows that young urban females are no longer content to maintain silence about their sexual desires. For them, sex and marriage are open topics. A full 90.6 percent of the women that participated in the investigation spoke freely on the topic of their sexual desires, 87 percent of them declared that they expect to enjoy sex. As more and more Chinese women demand equal rights, the quality of their sex life improves.
The importance of good sex for a successful marriage was acknowledged by 93.8 percent of the women that participated in this survey. Many stated that it takes precedence over marital wealth, and that they would not choose to stay in a loveless marriage purely for the sake of the children, as those of the preceding generation might have done.
The investigation also revealed that a surprising high rate --74.1 percent – of Chinese women enhance their sex lives by masturbation. Cao Zeyi, Deputy Director of the Chinese Medical Association, believes that statistics emanating from this net survey are more reliable than others, as being on-line, it dispensed with the need for face-to-face question and response, making participants more likely to answer frankly. He says, “People in China are unwilling to admit to auto-sexual gratification, but clinical statistics show that more than 50 percent of Chinese women practice it, a figure that coheres with investigation results.”
Greater Sexual Fulfillment
According to last year’s investigation, 87 percent of female respondents enjoy their sex life, 47.5 percent experience frequent orgasms, and 54.1 percent are confident about their sexual prowess. Overall, 82.5 percent of the women investigated regularly experience sexual climax, 49.2 percent of them through sex with their partners and 9.7 percent through masturbation, and 35.6 percent through a combination of both. Only 5.6 percent said they had never experienced orgasm. Sexual fulfillment is an important indication of a successful marriage, and the proportion of Chinese urban women that enjoy sex indicates an overall improvement in their lives in recent years. Four years ago, Professor Pan Suiming of Renmin University carried out a nationwide sample survey on the ratio of men and women that had experienced orgasm. According to its results 62.5 percent of men had, compared with 38.6 percent of the women asked. As Professor Pan stated, the absence or unlikelihood of sexual climax makes Chinese women disinclined to have sex, to the extent that some simply reject their husband’s advances. When coerced into having sex, either by guilt or threat of divorce, they naturally feel abused, angry and revengeful. Professor Pan’s survey encompassed both rural and urban areas, whereas last year’s investigation was limited to big cities. It indicated that urban women are more open about sex than their rural sisters.
Is Sex a Married Privilege?
Most of the women that participated in last year’s net investigation were of the ages 21 to 49, and 80 percent had received college education in big cities such as Beijing, Shanghai and Chongqing. Among them, 55 percent were married. Of the 45 percent that were single, 75.5 percent had sexual partners, an indication that economic empowerment has freed women from the constraints of traditional marriage concepts. These days chastity is far less important than sexual compatibility, which is now the main priority as regards choices of marriage partner.
As to the question of extramarital sex, 8.3 percent of married women said that they had frequent affairs, and 32.4 percent that they had had at least one such experience. This rate was much higher than that emanating from the 7 to 13 percent of previous investigations. However, 59.2 percent answered that they had never had an extramarital affair. This liberated sexual attitude is a breakthrough for traditionally inhibited Chinese women, but the rapid increase in unmarried cohabitation and extramarital sex poses a threat to familial solidarity and therefore social stability.
Are Chinese Women Frigid?
A recent report on the Internet stating that 60 percent of Chinese professional women are indifferent to sex provoked tremendous social concern. Yet it must be borne in mind that urban women who responded to Professor Pan Suiming’s nationwide sample survey four years ago said that they had sex an average 5 or 6 times per month. This refutes the high percentage of sexual disinclination indicated by the more recent net-based report. Professor Pan Suiming’s survey also indicated that 28.7 percent of married and cohabiting partners might pass a month without having sex, and that 6.2 percent had not had sex for a year. These statistics, emanating as they do from a national survey, appear more indicative of the true situation, which takes into account that some men as well as women have a low sex drive.
As China becomes more open, Chinese people gain more knowledge about sex, and their sexual relationships, within marriage or otherwise, improve. More couples realize the importance of sexual harmony, anticipating with pleasure and enjoying the entire love making process, from the intimacy preceding intercourse to the point where both partners reach their climax.
Problems, however, do exist as regards the attitude of a large number of Chinese men to sex. The extent of their sexual knowledge is often confined to what pleases them, satisfying their partners being a matter of irrelevance. In some cases, men may become violent or think nothing of having extramarital affairs, regardless of the feelings of their marriage partners. Consequently, 4.6 percent of Chinese women have never experienced sexual desire, 5.7 percent do not communicate with their husbands on a sexual level, and 18.2 percent resent the absence of foreplay before sex. Among the women investigated, 11.1 percent seldom experience climax, 11.1 percent have never had an orgasm, 19.7 are dissatisfied with their sex life, 5.2 are repulsed by it, and 3.9 percent feel demeaned by sex. There is still a long way to go before the vast majority of Chinese women understand, never mind experience, the joy of sex.
On a more optimistic note, last year’s net investigation helped many Chinese women understand that they have just as much right to enjoy sex as men do. Things are hence changing for the better. Greater confidence born of economic independence and a falling away of inhibitions will help Chinese women to enjoy life in all its aspects to the full.
CHEN XINXIN is a researcher with Women’s Research Institute of All China Women’s Federation.

Survey results:
How many Women Talk about sex 40.7%
Express desire 37.2%
Experience sexual fulfillment 52.0%
Act out sexual fantasies 85.9%
Masturbate 66.5%
Try different sex positions 54.3%
Experience orgasm 47.6%
How Important is Sex to Women?
Crucial 54.2%
Important 39.6%
Irrelevant 6.2%
Degree of Sexual Satisfaction Among Urban Women
Fulfillment 19.9%
Basic satisfaction 55.2%
Dissatisfaction 19.7%
Repugnance 5.2%

Offline Danny

RE: Sex and the Chinese Woman
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2009, 08:09:22 am »
No offence, but I don't go to the official forums anymore to get away from posts like this one.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2009, 08:13:02 am by Danny »

David5o

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2009, 09:01:38 am »
Danny,

Again no offence, but you have to remind yourself that there are many here, that haven't yet met there Chinese ladies in person, and are completely in the dark as to what to expect, from a Chinese woman in this respect.  I for instance, have absolutly no interest in religion, so i basically don't go to topics on this Forum, that relate to that subject. Why not you do the same, with the topics you don't agree with or are not interested in. Life's not a bubble, but we do have the choice of what we want, and what we don't want in our life.

Actually, the post by Darius, is just another survey, there basically two-a-penny, and to my mind not really worth the paper there written on. Just someones idea of how to manipulate a subject matter. Especially as this one is an Internet survey, are these results actually the real belief's of the people that completed the survey, or what they wished for?? Who knows!!

But we should live, and let live at the end of the day, so long as no-ones being hurt..... all is fine by me!!

David.....

Offline maxx

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2009, 09:08:08 am »
I'm ok with the survey posted here.But I only speak for myself not the other Mods.Like David said it is just another survey that somebody dreamed up.That had to much time on there hands

Arnold

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2009, 09:41:47 am »
The way I look at it , I make my own Survey with the Woman I love . Can't live by what other People put on Paper . Some find it useful , I don't .
Thank's Darius anyway .

Offline Hajo

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2009, 11:15:35 am »
Well, I hook up with Arnold on this one. I don't need it, you have to make your experiences. But it might still be usefull to other's and as it is a scientific report I can't see why it shouldn't be posted here.
爱你的人如果没有按你所希望的方式来爱你,那并不代表他们没有全心全意地爱你。
Just because someone doesn't love you the way you want them to, doesn't mean they don't love you with all they have.

Offline Darius

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2009, 11:24:07 am »
Danny,

Sorry brother, But i dont think this new limited first attempt of a scientific study in China is the same crap as you think is going on in the official forum. I am the last one on earth who would try to make from our brotherhood an official forum Nr.2. But i saw there was a question for some of us in the brotherhood whether it can be talked about this issue with the ladies. I know it is a very sensitive issue and i tried not to give any comment to it, to see it as it is. Me personlly am and was always an enemy of generalization. Individuality is what is worth. It should be just a cause for thought. The same reaction as you did, it could be seen among the chinese men, i read somewhere, who want to totally ignore this issue. The autor is a visiting prof. at the university of Beijing and put herself out for ages for the rights of women in China.

If really this survey offends this brotherhood and anybody believes it is not appropriate in this place i apologize and ask the Mods for deleting it.

Offline China Shark

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2009, 11:32:10 am »
Well, I guess I'll jump on the proverbial bandwagon also. Just another online survey and we really know how realiable those are, about as reliable an an opinion. But like Arnold said the only one that should matter is your ladie's, have to agree with that. For those that haven't met thier ladies, women are the same reguardless of culture. Case by case and there are more important things to dwell on than this kind of lockeroom dialogue. Even Maxx backed off this one, what's going on. Is this the updated Pink??? You find out this stuff in due good time, no sense rushing this issue.
China Shark Mike
Darius, it's not like that at all. They won't delete it, just stating thier opinions. It's all good, that's why this forum was created, to truely have an uncensored opinionated site.
Shark
« Last Edit: July 15, 2009, 11:35:40 am by China Shark »
Living life the way it should be. Following the path less traveled!!!!!!!!!

Offline Sylvain D

• oO0° SLY °0Oo
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2009, 01:29:42 pm »
Well...
I will just tell something about sex in China...
Because I lived that :D

I don't know how chinese women can do with their husbands (chinese ones)
When I was at the Hilton, I tried the swimming pool there ^^
I was looking for any "closet" where to change myself, and before I could find one, I saw a chinese man, walking right to me, nude...
he was like "sure" of himself, like some "big guy", proud and so on...

But when I just "pulled" my eyes down, I just noticed he got a very small one...
I just laughed after a few mins...
I just was asking me...
"OMG... But how can he make with that :huh:"...
:D

And about the women, I would say I don't know... 'never tried anythin' with chinese ladies :)
« Last Edit: July 15, 2009, 01:30:01 pm by Sylvain D »
- Let's Rock -

Vince G

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2009, 02:17:47 pm »
Sly I am laughing because I was thinking the same thing. I have a sound bit I wish I could post here but? Survey or not I only go by what my lady wants or expects. I don't know if she has had any thought on it? Lets just say I'm not chinese. :icon_biggrin: I hope she will be happy?

Offline China Shark

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2009, 04:29:47 pm »
Believe me Vince you'll be more than adequate in that department. I once new a Thai Doctor who read and learned in his work that Asian men are 40% smaller. Also, between my exwife and my exgirlfriend they also confirmed my suspicions. However, you never stand a chance competing with a brother. It's relative, to be honest sex to a Chinese woman is almost always secondary to the real feelings she feels towards. Nice part is that once the wheels are in motion it only keeps getting better.
China Shark Mike
Living life the way it should be. Following the path less traveled!!!!!!!!!

Offline JimB

• http://www.jandyenterprises.com
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2009, 05:19:36 pm »
Danny, Sorry but there was no doubt as to what this thread was about.  If it offends you, do not read it.  If you read it to see if you  were offended by it. well, you opened the bag.  I dont mean any offense either, really.
I thought the survey was interesting. Nothing more than that.
Maxx's 24 hour rule, learn it, live it.

Offline Danny

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2009, 06:05:15 pm »
I wasn't offended by it.

I just meant to say that one of the reasons I avoid the official forum is to avoid actual official forum topics like:

American men being 'Too Strong' as relates to sex?
Warning: very personal question about the women
Are we allowed to be inamate with our chnlove Ladies ?
How to ask if they have a 'healthy' sex drive?
Are these Asian women passive lovers in Bed
Do many Chinese women get breast implants?
etc

I was just wondering where this was headed.

One day we're talking in general about a survey of sex and the Chinese woman. Then what next, particulars?

It's about the place we want this to be.

Some people enjoy talking about their sex lives in a semi-public place. For me, that's kind of tasteless.

But it was my mistake to open the post.

Never again.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2009, 06:09:43 pm by Danny »