Author Topic: Anybody going to Beijing .. to Sight-see ?  (Read 6050 times)

Arnold

Anybody going to Beijing .. to Sight-see ?
« on: July 19, 2009, 03:06:21 pm »
I hope this will be of some help for our Member's that will be going to Beijing and needing a contact of an inexpensive Tourguide with Car , that speak's English very well .

His nmae is Jonvey Zhang : his cell phone for appointment's is ...
86 (for China) 10 (for Beijing) - 13520066523

His E-Mail address ... is : jon.vey@hotmail.com

I have written him a letter , telling him about some of our Member's that are going to stay / visit Beijing might get in contact with him .

He's very knowledgable of the chinese History around Beijng and is a good Driver also .

Offline JimB

• http://www.jandyenterprises.com
RE: Anybody going to Beijing .. to Sight-see ?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2009, 03:41:03 pm »
Sorry Arnold, but there is no such thing as a good driver in China. Just those that do not get their clients killed. lol
Maxx's 24 hour rule, learn it, live it.

Arnold

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2009, 03:53:12 pm »
Quote from: 'JimB' pid='9121' dateline='1248032463'

Sorry Arnold, but there is no such thing as a good driver in China. Just those that do not get their clients killed. lol

Hahaha  Jim , in fact .. I think most of them are excellent driver's , it's the RULE of the Road that's  crazy/bad  there .
« Last Edit: July 19, 2009, 03:54:33 pm by Arnold »

Offline Sylvain D

• oO0° SLY °0Oo
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2009, 06:21:13 am »
Thanks for the sharing, Arnold ;)
It will be useful :)
- Let's Rock -

Offline Irishman

• Muireadach and Sunny
    • http://www.chinaromance.net
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2009, 12:41:48 pm »
That is useful Arnold. I wonder if we could get a list of sights to see that the brothers liked for all the cities we visit.
We have a bunch of guys here that have seen the real China experience up close and personal, i reckon i could make a decent stab at a Guangzhou guide hmmm..I might do just that on my next day off work.
Maybe we could start a "Things to do in ..." thread for all the big cities the guys visit and keep it all tidy and together.
Become the change you want today, or all your tomorrows will be like yesterday.

Arnold

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2009, 12:34:59 am »
That would be great and of same help of course . We could also point out what is way over-priced and not worth seeing .

Offline Buzz

• XiuRu Zhang
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2009, 04:32:11 pm »
Good Afternoon,  I have been reading the threads for sometime and have decided to respond to this idea and ask that it be taken a bit further.  There have been several men that have made the trip to China.  It would be helpful for those of us that are getting close to their first trip to have access to their knowledge.  By this I mean have a "just the facts" type of forum.  In this the experienced members could post how to get thru Beijing Airport.  (luggage pickup, customs, where to expect our lady, taxi, etc).  Along with the Beijing could be a list of hotels, the good, bad and really ugly.  If we can agree of a couple, maybe we could arrange a discount for members.  Another item would be what to see, and what not to see in Beijing.  This thread could be extended to include getting thru Hong Kong.  And finally each member that makes a trip to his special ladies' hometown, what are the hotels, transportation, and sights for that specific area.  I realize that a lot of this information is burried in many older threads, but what would set this apart is that it would be all in one easy to read and update location.  Hence slow down on many of the repeat questions we new members have.  Any way have enjoyed my reading, and look forward to talking with.

Offline Martin

• Board Moderator
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2009, 04:52:34 pm »
This isn't a bad idea...but many of us enter China through different routes.  I have never seen Beijing or Hong Kong.  There are a multitude of routes to take into the country.  Personally, I traveled through Tokyo's Narita International.

It is a lot of reading to go through each post trying to find your answers.  The best bet, is to post your question, and those that have been to Beijing can help you out.

Offline maxx

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2009, 11:29:05 pm »
Mike you never know.Robert Snellgroves wife is from Quingdao.And ther was a guy from The Uk his women was from there to.The guy from the Uk I think his name was mike to.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2009, 11:35:03 pm by maxx »

Arnold

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2009, 11:39:06 pm »
Quote from: 'mpo4747' pid='9407' dateline='1248219879'

Quote from: 'Martin' pid='9378' dateline='1248209554'

This isn't a bad idea...but many of us enter China through different routes.  I have never seen Beijing or Hong Kong.  There are a multitude of routes to take into the country.  Personally, I traveled through Tokyo's Narita International.

It is a lot of reading to go through each post trying to find your answers.  The best bet, is to post your question, and those that have been to Beijing can help you out.

I am flying from

Rochester, NY to Chicago IL to Tokyo Narita to Qingdao China

and the reverse to get back home ....

I really did not think anyone else would be taking that route....

Mike

I see Mike , you be taking the old Route 66 to China .

Arnold

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2009, 11:56:27 pm »
No really , that Route doesn't sound too bad at all . Are there long lay - over's at each of the stop's , or is it pretty much Run MIke Run .
( Have you ever seen the Movie Run Lola Run ? Very funny ) ?

Offline RegnisTheGreat

• www.secretasianman.ca
    • http://www.secretasianman.ca
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2009, 12:43:52 pm »
My last trip to China was this:

Ottawa->Newark->Beijing

brett

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2009, 04:13:43 am »
Beijing airport is fantastic, and it's really easy to go through customs etc. Just don't go there in cold weather as I understand their de-icing facilities aren't great :dodgy:.

Incidentally, is the airport near central Beijing or can anyone recommend a hotel near the airport? Next time I visit my lady's hometown I think I will stay in Beijing for a day or two as the flight connections aren't great and I found getting 2 flights in the same day hard going.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2009, 04:14:07 am by brett »

Offline mustfocus

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2009, 07:18:08 am »
Quote from: 'brett' pid='22603' dateline='1257930823'

Beijing airport is fantastic, and it's really easy to go through customs etc. Just don't go there in cold weather as I understand their de-icing facilities aren't great :dodgy:.

Incidentally, is the airport near central Beijing or can anyone recommend a hotel near the airport? Next time I visit my lady's hometown I think I will stay in Beijing for a day or two as the flight connections aren't great and I found getting 2 flights in the same day hard going.

The airport is on the edge of town.  It takes between 30 minutes to 45 minutes to get there from northern Beijing (3rd ring) on an average day.  There is a subway link so if you find something near a subway line, you should be able to get there.  I didn't have the chance to take it when I was there, but I know it was active.
梦醒时分 - Meng Xing Shi Fen

Paul Todd

« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2009, 02:35:48 am »
Not just Beijing,

First off, I'd like to mention that China messes with your body. Especially when you first get here. Everyone appears to catch a cold!

There are some seriously rank odors out there on the street Rotting organic matter, urine, feces, stinky tofu.... But don't worry, soon you'll be gleefully playing "name that odor" with your Chinese friends!

About that food thing again... Inconveniences include little rocks in your rice, tons of tiny, tiny little bones in the fish, pieces of chopped up bone inside meat. Then there's also the food that's just plain not good, or hazardous to your intestinal tract. But be adventurous anyway! You'll learn soon enough what not to eat.Your body will let you know.

You will find yourself being stared at by the locals where ever you go.  I expect you really won't mind being stared at by the Chinese girls. Even if 10 seconds after you pass her, you turn and see she is still looking at you. Imagining  that she is exuding her "that-is-what-I-have-been-waiting-for-all-my-life "look. but unfortunately you won't be able to distinguish this from the Jeez-what-a-freak! look.

Sometimes the pollution is pretty bad. It might even make your eyes water some days, especially if you come from some wussy place with really clean air. So environmental protection has not exactly "caught on" yet in China. But it is gaining ground.. You might find this disturbing at first, and think about it a lot. Don't worry, soon you'll be wallowing in toxic apathy with the rest of us!

Another surprise in China is dealing with the omni-present problem of squat-toilets and lack of plumbing. It is not uncommon in public places such as schools, restaurants and shopping centres for the flushing mechanism to consist of a tap and a bucket. A tap and a bucket may sound fairly primitive, but this is often the classier end of the spectrum.

If you're coming to China, I hope you're not too tall. That can be inconvenient sometimes.

It also helps if you're pretty healthy. Sure, they have modern medical facilities here, but the standards may not quite be up to what you have come to expect in the West. Solution? Look after yourself or better still let your lady do that for you.

Don't get too attached to elevators. According to Chinese building codes, elevators are only required in buildings taller than 7 stories. Hey, it's cool. Elevators are for capitalist wusses!

Virtually everyone you encounter will not be able to communicate with you in English. What this means is that until you acquire some minimal language survival skills  you won't be able to do anything that you took for granted back home, without first imposing on someone else with Chinese communication skills to accompany you. If you do have to take a taxi anywhere or are returning to your hotel you will need to carry on your person several scrapes of paper with the destinations written in Chinese and remember not all taxi drivers are literate.

You might be impressed by the amount of computers in use in China. Internet cafes are everywhere. You won't be impressed by the buildings though, because building code standards are so low that buildings everywhere are already falling apart scant years after they're completed.   Preventative maintenance , Whats that?

The good news is that stuff in China is really cheap! Sure, the quality might not be quite up to the standards you're used to, but you'll get over that. When stuff is this cheap, you can just keep rebuying it every time it falls apart! Neat!

There's lots more surprises waiting for you in China, so come on over!  Before long you'll be familiar with the slew of inconveniences inherent to life here. Then you won't be annoyed -- rather, you'll accept them with a smile and a "Well that's China for you!" :dodgy: