Author Topic: Talking to a lady who knows very little english.  (Read 6169 times)

Offline Jay W

Talking to a lady who knows very little english.
« on: April 16, 2009, 03:58:13 am »
I want to start out by saying that I wish I found this site sooner, it is jammed packed with good information.  I think Vince could write a book.

About a month ago, I hit it off with a lady on the site, and I have been racking up the EMF's.  I kept writing to her because I detected a sincerity that appeared to be genuine.  What was amazing was that there never seemed to be any translation confusion between us, and every letter had near impeccable grammar and exquisite sentence structure.  A good deal of things we discussed were complex items no "form translating software" could tackle.  However, the last few letters... all has changed.  I spend half my time on the return letter clearing up confusion.  The letters seem sloppily translated, and I have to remind her of things I said in past letters.  I have two fears; one is that I think I might be getting bamboozled, the other is that her lack of english ability  might be too great to overcome if I brought her over.  I have told her I will always be honest with her.  Here are my questions:

Do I confront her about this downturn in quality of letters?  Or should I be the cad and just block her?
Is it foolhardy of me to believe I can bring her over when she speaks little to no english?
Is there someone out there that has had success communicating with a lady of limited english ability and made it work?
I am very confused and need advice.
Thanks.
- Jay

P.S.  On a topic a bit off tangent, I have still looked though my admirer mails while communicating with the lady I am talking to now.  I am bemused to see ladies who claim to be "serious" about marriage, but they are scantily clad in their photos, posing in very flimsy dresses/lingerie.  One "serious" person posed with unbuttoned jeans.  One girl's picture set included a photo that exposed her panties.  Yep, she's "serious" about marriage.  :lol:  One asked me a hypothetical question about toilets.  I assume others have noticed this.  Has someone compiled a blacklist of agencies to avoid?

Offline RobertBfrom aust

• Sujuan [Yo ] is my tai tai
  • Robert and Sujuan [Yo ] at home .
    • bopads.info
Re: Talking to a lady who knows very little english.
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2009, 04:37:25 am »
Jay we will see what others think , but if you are using EMf , I would have at a guess that your translating person has changed , therefore they have no prior knowledge or they in fact have less English ability .
probably 95 out of every 100 on the website have little or no English word knowledge and the idea is to ease things along to the point where you have their address - send them a surprise via the website and also ask if they have computer access .
Most profiles have the women as learning English where as in fact they have said to the agencies that they will learn English if it is necessary , as if a lady meets a nice guy from Iran he might only speak Persian .
you can always nicely query the translation either with a note to the translator or via the inquiry system at the front of the official website .
As to what the women wear sometimes it is the photographers suggestions , and not what the ladies would be normally wearing , remember they are only subjects who pay dearly to be listed .
Now it is early to bed and late to rise .
My QQ is   1994376895
For electronics and books etc , check out , www.bopads.info

Offline Norb Smith

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2009, 11:10:12 am »
LMAO I was wondering when someone was going to ask you if you were going to write a book about all the things going on with Chnlove, facebook, forum and now the brotherhood, when you get it done I want a signed autographed copy :lol:
To have good neighbors, you need to be a good neighbor

Offline David K

• Yan Wang xxxx
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2009, 06:32:00 pm »
JAY: re your PS: If you have the time, try:  http://agencyscams.com/index.html (mostly russian ) or http://www.pfishy.com/site/chnlove.com    I prefer not to take onboard their cynicism, but its helpful to know what goes on 'out there'.  As to the  'skimpy' pics, I suppose the best mouse traps don't chase mice. But I personally feel a touch of modesty is much more attractive :-)
Nothing Real can be threatened; nothing unreal exists

Offline Jay W

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2009, 10:22:05 pm »
Thanks for the response.  I think I have come away with these thoughts:

A. I should give her the benefit of the doubt and blame the translator.
B. I should work for the weening of the translator.  I believe that I am running into a wall with human translation and I cannot continue the EMF saga indefinitely.
C. I think I should be second in line (behind Norb) for an autographed copy of Vince's book.  :D
D.  Even though the racy photos may be nice to look at, they do not aid the girls in finding marriage material.  Now I should publish that toilet question (if I still have it) for you guys to see.

My new question is this: how long did you do EMF service before you transitioned to another form of communication?  I've seen Vince's response that it was two EMF's and a cloud of dust (he's the yoda of chnlove after all  :P ).  Does anyone else have any thoughts?  Thanks for the advice so far.

Offline Neil

• happily married, working on immigration
  • Zhangping, Fujian bound.
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2009, 03:20:48 am »
I'm going on 3 months through EMF's and my girl is diligently studying English.  She feels confident we'll be able to have a decent conversation soon.  I'm dying to hear her voice but I know it'll come sooner or later.  I'm learning the hard way not to rush.  Patience and understanding.   ;)
...as irresistible as chocolate

Offline Irishman

• Muireadach and Sunny
    • http://www.chinaromance.net
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2009, 04:18:19 am »
Jay, I think its important to realise that these pictures are taken by agency photographers mostly. And to be honest I think some of the ladies are a bit innocent as to how they are being portrayed.
The photographer gets them on a shoot and takes many many pictures over the course of a few hours and the agency uploads the ones they like. The lady I'm chatting with currently never even saw her profile on chnlove before i showed it to her when I was over there.

Regarding the language thing, it most definitely can be a problem, that's why I think its essential to chat to her if possible on msn , qq or whatever before going over there and discovering that you just cannot communicate with each other. She doesnt need to have perfect English, you can communicate a lot with even bad English and visual cues - thats why web cams work great!
Become the change you want today, or all your tomorrows will be like yesterday.

Offline Jay W

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2009, 03:28:14 pm »
Ronan:

I tend to agree on the photos.  However, I do think there are a small fraction that do know what they are doing when posing.  As Brittney Spears once sang, they are "not that innocent".  :P

I have sent her a letter to her to attempt to ween her off of EMF's.  I think if we continue down the EMF road, neither of us would be properly served.  I agree with Ronan and Vince have the right idea to venture into webcams, skype, and other tools.  I know that I didn't properly learn French until I was fully immersed in the language in France.  Both of us need to make the attempt to immerse each other in our languages in order to truly find out if we can make this work.

Offline Oiler1

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2009, 12:41:40 am »
Quote from: "Ronan"
Jay, I think its important to realise that these pictures are taken by agency photographers mostly. And to be honest I think some of the ladies are a bit innocent as to how they are being portrayed.
The photographer gets them on a shoot and takes many many pictures over the course of a few hours and the agency uploads the ones they like. The lady I'm chatting with currently never even saw her profile on chnlove before i showed it to her when I was over there.

Regarding the language thing, it most definitely can be a problem, that's why I think its essential to chat to her if possible on msn , qq or whatever before going over there and discovering that you just cannot communicate with each other. She doesnt need to have perfect English, you can communicate a lot with even bad English and visual cues - thats why web cams work great!

Yes, but she is responsible for her dress and projecting an image she's like others to see.

Offline David

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2009, 05:51:04 am »
Actually I think what might have happened is the translator was writing to Jay with the help of his lady and now his actual lady is doing the writing.  This same thing happened to me.  I could tell exactly when my translator stopped writing and the lady started writing her own letters...

Just my opinion... but let me guess... the letters also got shorter and now are not completely full of the lovey dovey stuff too?

Big Dave

Offline Jay W

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2009, 03:50:52 pm »
Dave,

What sent my alarm bells was not the lack or increase of lovey dovey language, it was forgetting preferences (favorite foods, etc.) that I just had told her about a couple of letters past.  After I expressed my concerns to her, things were explained.

It was explained to me that my girl has been busy at work, and  the translator translates what is written to her by my girl.  If her letter is scatterbrained and absent-minded, the EMF will be too.  I've asked my girl to get plenty of rest and write me when she can spare a moment.  I've also put the translator on notice too.  If there was funny stuff going on, I doubt it will continue any more.  What was also reassuring is that she sent a real life photo of herself preparing dinner.

She has also agreed to my plan to cut the EMF strings in the very near future.  I think this will be good for both of us.  The ones on here that advocating me giving her the benefit of the doubt were correct.  Thank you.

Jay

Offline Hajo

RE: Talking to a lady who knows very little english.
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2009, 02:23:21 am »
Quote from: 'Jay W' pid='1126' dateline='1239996494'

Ronan:

I tend to agree on the photos.  However, I do think there are a small fraction that do know what they are doing when posing.  As Brittney Spears once sang, they are "not that innocent".  :P

Jay, I talked to a lady about the pictures once . We had more a friendship than a relationship. I got to know, that she has been told by the photographer's that western men like little more "naughty" pictures. I believe that the ladies are often very unsure what to do in such a photo session.
爱你的人如果没有按你所希望的方式来爱你,那并不代表他们没有全心全意地爱你。
Just because someone doesn't love you the way you want them to, doesn't mean they don't love you with all they have.

Offline Ed W

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2009, 07:36:33 am »
About the photo's. My wife and friends, and many others, enjoy getting all dolled up and having really nice pictures taken of them. There are many studios, often in the malls, and there's a flood of people in all day long. The photographer is the one telling them how to pose and trying to get that nice shot they're paying for.

I wouldn't be so terribly concerned with the outside since it's the inside that matters more. My wife wasn't the best looking of my admire mails but certainly seemed the most genuine. She takes amazing studio pics but her every day face is still beautiful but very much like the rest of China. It might be why they do this, so they do feel a bit different.

Anyways, I wouldnt dwell too much on the perfect photo's since they're paying for it. Would you accept any less if you were flippin the bill? hehe. Not me!
Alright earthlings, what form do you want me to take?....How about a taco, ....that craps icecream?  My trip to china

Scottish_Rob

« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2009, 05:26:18 pm »
I got a letter the other day from Kathy, and it was quite short and not as the way she usually writes, and I replied asking why Yuki (Translator) never wrote it, you will be able to tell when they are not the usual translators mate. Translator was off for the day.:rolleyes:

jamesm_406

« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2009, 11:17:33 am »
I've learnt a lot today from reading various things in the forums and looking at different links.  looking at that Agencyscams website, it says about "being wary" of chnlove and how the translators reply to messages as part of a big money squandering act.  After reading these rather worrying facts, I am still not deterred and will continue to contact my lady. It can't be all bad seeing as we're now sharing over private email too?? have to wait and see I suppose!  I'm happy, so I don't mind. :)