Author Topic: small bumps on the road to China  (Read 1446 times)

Offline Neil

• happily married, working on immigration
  • Zhangping, Fujian bound.
small bumps on the road to China
« on: August 06, 2009, 09:38:48 pm »
I ran into a couple little issues recently.  I asked our translator for the agency contact info and she was happy to oblige, but it turns out the phone number my lady told me is hers is the number for the agency itself.  We've never talked on the phone and the only reason she gave me the number was that I needed to put my contact in China on my visa application.  I tried a few times to convince her to talk on the phone but she didn't want to and I didn't want to press the issue.  We've talked on webcam so it was cool.

So, her phone number is the agency's number.  Should I confront her about that?  It's not an issue unless I make it one but I am leaving in 11 days.  

Second issue: she offered to have me stay with her sister's family while I was there.  Her sister's married with a child.  I suggested a hotel, we discussed it a few times and I finally agreed that I would be happy to stay at her sisters if I wont be too much trouble.  That was the plan for 3 weeks until yesterday in her letter.  She says "My sister just said to me that she another house have been rented to other peoples already".  I'm sure she meant I would be staying in a room in her sister's house but maybe there was a translation issue or misunderstanding.  Or maybe she meant they rented the room to someone else.  

It's a bit of a relief as I think I would be much more comfortable in a hotel room than sharing a home with a family that doesn't speak English and I don't speak Chinese (much...yet...).  Should I get some clarification on that or just let it slide, agree and get a hotel?  

Needless to say, small issues that don't really need to be dealt with.  I think.  I'd like some opinions though before making my reply to her.  24 hour rule I figure.
...as irresistible as chocolate

Offline Rhonald

• Ziyan Zhou (Yan)
  • Moderators
RE: small bumps on the road to China
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2009, 11:34:06 pm »
My wife only gave me her cell number the day I left for China on my 1st trip. I guess until they meet us for real, they are just protecting their privacy. Three months into our emfs when I believed Yan to be the one for me, I gave her my phone number and said to use it if ever there was a length of time of no letter exchanges. She freaked out and in her next letter she told me she became very worried that I was planning on doing some thing bad - I was still going through my divorce at that time. Needless to say, I had to explain to her that I gave her my number because if ever there was an unseen accident, that by phoning she could find out that something had happened to me. Lets face it, not knowing is the hardest thing to deal with. Just like now - not knowing when her visa application will be given.

Anyways, I wouldn't fret about the number - shes just being carefull.

And if not staying at the hotel - just two words for you - Squat Toilets :huh:
« Last Edit: August 06, 2009, 11:35:54 pm by Rhonald »
Life....It's all about finding the Chicks and Balances

Offline Martin

• Board Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2009, 11:41:16 pm »
And if not staying at the hotel - just two words for you - Squat Toilets

HAHAHAHA...the dreaded squat toilet.  i stayed with family most of my time in the country.  Got to know first hand what they were about.  It's not that there is anything wrong with them...just awkward if you have never used one before...which most of us haven't.

Offline maxx

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2009, 11:56:19 pm »
Neil don't worry about the phone # she gave you that number in case there is a problem with your flight.And you need to call and tell her.They probably speak better English at the agency.And your lady knows that.

Take the hotel option.In my opinion much better then staying at somebodies house you don't know.Alot more comfortable.

Offline metooap

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2009, 12:08:08 am »
Neil,

I agree with others, do not worry about the telephone. And certainly do not worry about staying with her sister. You want to stay in a hotel - and take it from me - it has absolutely nothing to do with a squat tiolet either! If you understand my drift!

David5o

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2009, 05:21:45 am »
Neil,

All the above advise is sound mate. But i have the feeling your a bit like me, and want to know what's going on, ...right??
Well seeing as it's not long before your off on your trip, why not wait to ask her about these things while your there. The answers will come a lot more freely, and make much more sense then too.

David.....