Author Topic: Great Wall  (Read 3822 times)

Offline daghoi

Great Wall
« on: August 14, 2009, 12:38:54 pm »
Here are a few pictures from the Great Wall to enjoy. Did the hike between Janshanling to Simatai. If (when :-/) you go to Beijing, it might be worth your while, i recommend it. It is a 4-5 hours walk, some part are steep.

[attachment=503]
[attachment=504]
[attachment=505]
[attachment=506]
[attachment=507]
[attachment=508]
[attachment=509]
« Last Edit: August 14, 2009, 12:42:52 pm by daghoi »

shaun

RE: Great Wall
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2009, 01:32:14 pm »
Thanks I can't wait to see it in person.

Offline Danny

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2009, 06:37:22 pm »
They are really great pics. I'll get there one day!

Offline JimB

• http://www.jandyenterprises.com
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2009, 09:35:43 am »
I did it last year.  I may go back next month.  I really wanted to do it on a motorcycle like in the bucket list. lol
Maxx's 24 hour rule, learn it, live it.

Arnold

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2009, 01:22:33 pm »
May I add some ? It sure is the most magnificent Man-made structure I have ever seen or been on  . Picture's only give you a partial of what you will feel actually being " ON " it . One thing I looked for and have NOT seen anywhere on the Wall ( that I saw ) was
" Made in China " on it .:icon_cheesygrin:  Mmmmm ... maybe it was imported from somewhere else ?
« Last Edit: August 15, 2009, 01:32:21 pm by Arnold »

Vince G

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2009, 05:23:12 pm »
Arnold I have a question in the 3rd photo. Your standing before a tower when you took the photo. to the left of that it looks like a walkway, but not part of the wall and further down then where your standing. it looks like the only way to get to the other tower to continue on, Is this a Gap in the wall?

Most of the towers have? looks like antenna's I think they're lighting rods? Are they? and the little compound on the right? Guard station?

And last question, Is that Chong doing his run above the second tower on the left? Near the tree line?

David5o

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2009, 05:45:40 pm »
Vince,

Yes the antenna like rods are Lightning rods. But unfortunately, they haven't been connected to the structures correctly! haha!! They are ionising lightning rods, they spray up a negative stream of ions to catch any positively charged ions (potential lightning strikes) and supposedly take them down safely to ground.... They can, if positioned correctly protect an area around  where they are positioned without any connection to the building structure itself.

Hope i'm not being too technical here haha!!

David....
« Last Edit: August 15, 2009, 06:45:43 pm by David5o »

Arnold

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2009, 05:52:48 pm »
I see David answered one of the questions .
There actually is a break in the Simatai Great Wall , devided by a large Lake and a Power Station . That walkway it a suspension Brige to that other side of the Wall . This is the Lake Qing and I went down on the Flying Fox . Awesome ride .

That could be Chong looking for me , but is going the wrong way . Haha
« Last Edit: August 15, 2009, 06:00:57 pm by Arnold »

Vince G

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2009, 06:00:11 pm »
WOW! From above that lake looks like a puddle? I thought maybe the wall got washed away? A little earthquake to loosen the ground and some hard rain to wash it away. I like the photos though. Can't wait to see it in real life.

As for the Rods? They can be attached to the building but need a ground wire (cable) going from the rod to a rod planted in the ground. In the US it's a 6 foot rod in the ground.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2009, 06:02:26 pm by Vince G »

Arnold

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2009, 06:08:25 pm »
This is so much better than the Badaling Wall , but everybody seems to be stuck on going there . This is worth the 45 minutes extra drive out of Beijing . Thats if you up to walking eleven Tower's instead of five . The other side of the Lake , will take you all day back and forth . So , a nice ride down on a Rope and your ready for a great Lunch in the Village below .

David5o

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2009, 07:00:39 pm »
Vince,

Sure they need to be grounded with ground rods!! ... lol!!
Your NEC code is a bit light on grounding compared with most of Europe. Your code calls for a standard ground rod, if when tested value exceeds 25 ohms install one more rod .... no need for further testing. In Europe and most other western countries the value is a fixed minimum 1ohm !!! So if your on rocky substructure, start thinking in multiples of rods or copper grids. For me, i'm more than happy in a lightning protection system, to see a 5 ohm reading.

David.....
« Last Edit: August 15, 2009, 07:02:48 pm by David5o »

Vince G

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2009, 07:34:59 pm »
So Dave you know the NEC codes? I'm surprised. Almost all the homes and buildings here have the rods. People just don't know it.

David5o

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2009, 08:30:14 pm »
Vince,

Yes i know the NEC codes, I've had to work with them many times, mostly in the Middle East. The big difference between your codes and the British regulations, is that you allow interested parties (manufactures, contractors etc) influence over the rules in the codes. Where the British Reg's are influenced by professional institutions. Which is why you have so many exceptions to a given code rule, sometimes almost making that rule non-existent!! haha!!

I must admit, some of your Electrical guidance books are pretty useful. eg the green, red, buff, orange, books. I can't remember the full names of them but they normally go by the colours of the books anyway. Also, i think now, you are the only country in the world that's not using metric sized cables, So your codes are becoming less adopted worldwide now, as there are no metric equivalents to your AWG cables and wires.

I know i seem to be knocking your systems, i'm not really it's just fact, of what is going on elsewhere in the world. Another example of differences. Your light switches and there back boxes are 3 times larger than the equivalent UK/Euro switches and back boxes. In fact your 2 gang light switch back box, ...for the same sort of size of box, we can get an 8 gang switch plate into. Whats even crazier, your single switch box isn't really big enough for those monster sized toggle type switches you use there. The times I've seen electricians have blow outs taking a live switches out of it's box, with the exposed side terminals touching the grounded box.

Oooooop's i think i'm writing too much here,.... sorry i got carried away!!  haha!! But yes i have worked with your NEC codes on many projects.....  lol!!

David....

Arnold

« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2009, 08:33:14 pm »
When Qing comes over , I'll need those Rods installed . Because of all the Electricity that is going to be generated between us . There will be some sparks flying and need those Ohms guided into the ground .

David5o

« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2009, 08:42:30 pm »
Arnold,

Then the less ohms the better then!! ...haha!!

David.....