Author Topic: Vaccinations....  (Read 1713 times)

Offline Brian Mc

• Zhen Li
Vaccinations....
« on: August 17, 2009, 12:16:13 pm »
Greetings Guys,

Well now that I am planning to go to China at the end of October, my sister, real one not a chinese one, brought up the question of will I need shots before I go over there? I never really thought about it before and havent noticed it mentioned here either.  Course I may have just missed it but then its something all us newbies and all need to know before we go.  So can anyone shed some light on this?  Especially Canadian guys since I am Canadian also.

Also for the Canadian guys, I live in Edmonton and apparently I have to go to Calgary to the Chinese embassy to get the travel visa, is this right?  Can you tell me what paperwork I need to take with me for the visa?  My divorce is not gonna be done in time to get a certificate of being single I dont think, so this will be a solidify the relationship maybe get engaged trip.  Any help and advice etc would be much appreciated.

Regards

Brian

Offline Martin

• Board Moderator
RE: Vaccinations....
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2009, 02:49:32 pm »
Also for the Canadian guys, I live in Edmonton and apparently I have to go to Calgary to the Chinese embassy to get the travel visa, is this right? Can you tell me what paperwork I need to take with me for the visa? My divorce is not gonna be done in time to get a certificate of being single I dont think, so this will be a solidify the relationship maybe get engaged trip. Any help and advice etc would be much appreciated.

I am not from Alberta, but I checked out the Chinese Calgary Consulate web site.  You will need to fill out the Visa application, and also get a picture of yourself...passport type picture.  Rhonald can probably help you further as he lives in the Calgary area.

As far as vaccinations go, i did not need any.  I don't believe Chong got any.  How about you Rhonald?

Here is the link to the Calgary Consul's visa application.  http://calgary.china-consulate.org/eng/lsfw/bgxz/P020071123187871727806.pdf

And their main page: http://calgary.china-consulate.org/eng/

Vince G

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2009, 05:28:27 pm »
I believe if your going to the rural areas in China they recommend shots for that.

ttwjr32

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2009, 11:30:54 pm »
Brian,
i have a very good doctor here in the usa and by the way he is chinese and his father is a prominent heart doctor there.
but when i first went to china a few years ago he advised me not to get any shots. says they do more harm than good.??
so i know its just his opinion but i just get my checkup before i go as i am an old man of 53 and then off i go.  havent had any
problems yet  but i do watch what i eat and were it is from and drink only bottled water when there. so thats my 2 cents worth
on this. ive been to china many times for extended stays and i am now planning on residing in guangzhou permanantly with my
lady ive know for quite some time.   HOPEFULLY i can be of some help  to other members when i am living in guangzhou in regards
to any and all info or to help when they want to go to china. will have lots of time on my hands in between bumming around the country
with my lady.  any way a few more things than what you asked but i wouldnt get the shots oh i have also been told the shots could get you sick?
not sure of that one .
ted

feisnik

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2009, 11:44:32 pm »
Americans do not need any for China, but here is the list that Chinese people need for coming to America: http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/info/info_1331.html

Offline Brian Mc

• Zhen Li
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2009, 01:25:43 am »
Greetings guys,

As always the advice is both timely and helpfull, many thanks for the words and the links.  As for where I will be well Hong lives in Wuxi near Shanghai, so hopefully not a big issue for the shots.  I will give my doc a call and see what they say.

Thanks again for the assistance.

Regards,

Brian

Offline Willy The Londoner

• Beyond The Dream in China
  • Board Moderator
  • Hair today - gone tomorrow!!
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2009, 01:40:55 am »
My first lady here was a doctor - when I asked her this question she asked me what so of primitive area had I come to!!! And as I looked around and saw that everywhere was more modern than that part of London I lived in i never asked again.  One reason  possibly as to why we never hit it off!!!!

Willy
Willy The Lpndoner

Now in my 12th year living here,

David5o

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2009, 07:17:44 am »
While i was in China, i had a range of shot's but that was at the insistence of the companies i worked for. Some of my colleagues did suffer side effects from these shoots, and to be honest the areas of china where i was living and working, they were unnecessary.

What i would advise, if your going to be staying in a relatively rural area, is to take a decent supply of anti malaria drugs, and remember to continue taking them for the specified period after you return home.

The one thing you need to be very careful of, is the water in China, don't whatever you do drink it, unless it's been boiled for 3 minutes, or stick to bottled water. Don't forget, water is used for many things, one is ice keep that in mind. The other is for washing fruit and veg, ...this is where most westerners get caught out, and can pay dearly for it. The only way to be totally safe, is in the home, use boiled water (that's cooled or cold) to wash fruit and veg. The other is to refrain from eating fresh fruit and veg while out in restaurants etc,  or buying drinks on the street, that's been made from fresh fruit. etc...

Remember, the local population have some immunity to these water bourne bugs, but even they can sercombe to some of these nasty bugs.... I can assure you, ...you wont want to get a dose of Shanghai trots on your trip!!  Some of these bugs are very virulent and can knock you down for 5 days or more, others can knock you down for a day or two, but you'll feel weak and knackered for days after....BE CAREFUL and VERY AWARE!!

David......
« Last Edit: August 18, 2009, 09:07:01 am by David5o »