Author Topic: Very superstitious!  (Read 8410 times)

Paul Todd

Very superstitious!
« on: April 09, 2009, 07:02:15 pm »
Don't cut your hair or your fingernails at night, because if you do ghosts would be around......
Don't open umbrella inside your house or there will be snakes around.
Don't buy white paper lanterns or grow banana trees because they harbor ghosts.
Don't worship Gods at night (except for holidays were you are allowed to) because you will get sick.
Don't point at grave stones because the ghost would haunt you.
Don't have a party for your birthday when you are old because they spirits of Hell would remember you and you would die.
      This happened to my relatives a lot.... :(  my dad's great aunt died at the age of 98 because of THAT!
Don;t  show your thumb when a funeral car passes you.
Don't point at the moon with your index finger, because next night the moon will cut your ear.
Don't draw on people faces when they're asleep or their soul can't get back into there body's.
Don't whistle at night or the snakes will come,again :huh:
Don't mess with tombs because the spirits would harm you.
      When my mother was little, she knew a kid who peed on graves and he mysteriously had his legs amputated.
If you comb your hair at midnight in front of a mirror a hundred times, you will see your future wife.
When a pregnant black cat hops over a corpse it will stand up.
Big ears bring fortune.
Don't EVER CURSE at the gods because you will be in SO MUCH TROUBLE!

Ok. I did make one up! The rest came from the China History Forum.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2009, 09:44:57 pm by Paul Todd »

Offline David

Re: Very superstitious!
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2009, 07:26:09 pm »
Quote from: "Vince G"
[size=200]Say WHAT?[/size]

[size=150]Those that believe in superstitions will end up sitting in a closet with the light off.[/size]

[size=150]Don't sit in the closet with the light off or the snakes will come![/size]

Hehehe...

Big Dave

Paul Todd

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2009, 07:30:15 pm »
That was next on the list,along with not eating cats...

Offline Neil

• happily married, working on immigration
  • Zhangping, Fujian bound.
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2009, 09:55:25 pm »
Quote from: "Paul Todd"
That was next on the list,along with not eating cats...

...Oh, you mean real cat cats.   Gotcha.
...as irresistible as chocolate

Offline Irishman

• Muireadach and Sunny
    • http://www.chinaromance.net
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2009, 04:12:12 pm »
Cats mmmm, now that's something i have to try next time.
Become the change you want today, or all your tomorrows will be like yesterday.

Paul Todd

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2009, 11:53:47 am »
At last, I found the answer. I read a while back "Never buy a Chinese man a green hat" If a Chinese man wears a green hat, it means his marriage is in trouble/his wife has cheated on him. Thats where all this nonsense started.

Offline Irishman

• Muireadach and Sunny
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2009, 11:40:15 am »
Green means bad luck in general in China, I didn't dare wear my Ireland jersey once over there!!

Offline maxx

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2009, 02:21:43 am »
you guys got some crazy ideas about Chinese superstitions.Did you guya read all this stuff un a book or did you get it off the interent

Paul Todd

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2009, 05:24:12 pm »
Nice one Nick, but your just not taking this seriously enough!  :lol:
Maxx, 'most' of the first list I posted was from the China History forum. It's a site used by academic's and to tell you the truth, a lot of it is way over my head. Like a lot of these 'high brow" sites it has some great left field topic's. Ancient Chinese children's hair cuts, for example. I kid you not! To become a full member you even have to take an exam! and I quote

"About CHF Imperial Exam System
CHF is generally catered for those who are interested in learning chinese history and culture. We pride ourselves in becoming a leading educational and academic site for the learning of chinese history and culture. Functioning just like a university/school, CHF has also established "Imperial Exams" designed to help qualify members to become "official scholar members" (qualified citizens) of CHF.
CHF is probably the 1st and only online community to implement an exam system for its member. Our goal is to make all members become literate or educated in chinese history and culture after joining CHF. Technically speaking, CHF encourages all members to take the Entry Level Exam (Xiucai Exam)"

Ronan, maybe we should do the same!  :lol: .You more experienced members could set the questions! Seriously though this site is full of useful stuff and well worth a few hours, here's the link

http://www.chinahistoryforum.com/

Confused? you will be!
« Last Edit: May 09, 2009, 04:54:45 pm by Paul Todd »

Offline maxx

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2009, 08:03:04 pm »
Paul thats really cool.I'll take a better look when I have more time

Offline Irishman

• Muireadach and Sunny
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2009, 06:48:04 am »
Quote from: "Paul Todd"
Nice one Nick, but your just not taking this seriously enough!  :lol:
Maxx, 'most' of the first list I posted was from the China History forum. It's a site used by academic's and to tell you the truth, a lot of it is way over my head. Like a lot of these 'high brow" sites it has some great left field topic's. Ancient Chinese children's hair cuts, for example. I kid you not! To become a full member you even have to take an exam! and I quote

"About CHF Imperial Exam System
CHF is generally catered for those who are interested in learning chinese history and culture. We pride ourselves in becoming a leading educational and academic site for the learning of chinese history and culture. Functioning just like a university/school, CHF has also established "Imperial Exams" designed to help qualify members to become "official scholar members" (qualified citizens) of CHF.
CHF is probably the 1st and only online community to implement an exam system for its member. Our goal is to make all members become literate or educated in chinese history and culture after joining CHF. Technically speaking, CHF encourages all members to take the Entry Level Exam (Xiucai Exam)"

Ronan, maybe we should do the same!  :lol: .You more experienced members could set the questions! Seriously though this site is full of useful stuff and well worth a few hours, here's the link

http://www.chinahistoryforum.org/

Confused? you will be!

That is one fascinating website Paul, thanks very much for linking to it, my growing Chinese appetite just got served a banquet!

Offline David

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2009, 04:24:30 am »
If you don't use Paul's link and learn about Chinese history the snakes will come!

Seriously that is a great link Paul! :lol:

Big Dave

Arnold

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2009, 11:04:03 am »
Quote from: "Ronan"
Green means bad luck in general in China, I didn't dare wear my Ireland jersey once over there!!

Irish , if green mean bad luck , then why are their so crazy about green Tea . Are they all looking for bad luck ? Hehe

Offline Rhonald

• Ziyan Zhou (Yan)
  • Moderators
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2009, 10:51:12 pm »
I have noticed that my wife and her father wear green many times. I just asked her about the bad luck but she has not heard about this. Maybe it is area specific. Oops, now she says that old people say if a man wears a green cap then his wife will love another man. I guess I better not pretend to be an american green beret. However I was a member of the P.P.C.L.I. and in the Canadian army infantry wear green berets. But then my first wife did cheat on me. Oh my god where did all these mot...fuc.ing snakes on a plane come from??!!
Life....It's all about finding the Chicks and Balances

Martin

« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2009, 11:01:02 pm »
PPCLI?  How long have you been out?  You must follow the Afghanistan mission pretty closely then.