Author Topic: FACE  (Read 1088 times)

Offline Buzz

• XiuRu Zhang
FACE
« on: August 26, 2009, 02:14:35 pm »
Hi, I have been reading Mike's comments about his trip and clearing up the misunderstandings about miscommunication.  I, being new to this Chinese Culture, would like a defination of FACE.  Is this just basic human respect for all, or am I completly missing the picture.  I posted this here as I hate to hijack a persons communication on his trip.    Since I learn better with examples, please give an example of how to lose FACE and or saving face for another.    Thanks.

Offline MLM

• Zhou Li Weng Maines
RE: FACE
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2009, 05:54:07 pm »
Quote from: 'Buzz' pid='14353' dateline='1251310475'

Hi, I have been reading Mike's comments about his trip and clearing up the misunderstandings about miscommunication.  I, being new to this Chinese Culture, would like a defination of FACE.  Is this just basic human respect for all, or am I completly missing the picture.  I posted this here as I hate to hijack a persons communication on his trip.    Since I learn better with examples, please give an example of how to lose FACE and or saving face for another.    Thanks.

Buzz, you pretty much have it right and it also means not to embarrass them.
to give face simple is to compliment tham in public and to lose or to cause the loss of face means to embarrass them in public.
Public also meaning in front of any one not just outside.
hope this helps.
Its a little more involved then this but that is the easiest way to explain it.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2009, 05:55:12 pm by MLM »
TIME IS THE TELLER OF ALL TRUTHS AND THE HEALER OF ALL HURTS

Offline Irishman

• Muireadach and Sunny
    • http://www.chinaromance.net
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2009, 06:08:23 pm »
Buzz, have a read of this excellent post from Paul a while back - http://www.chnlove.info/showthread.php?tid=4
Become the change you want today, or all your tomorrows will be like yesterday.

Vince G

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2009, 06:33:06 pm »
I think the basic Face is "Dignity" from Family Pride. The rest of the means are just spinoffs.

David5o

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2009, 07:24:43 pm »
Vince,

As far as the womans Face thing Goes your dead right!! And that's all we have to worry about, as far as us guys are concerned. For the Chinese man, that's a whole new ball game, and bears no resemblance to the ladies here. I think the guy's here are trying to apply The mens Face thing to the ladies, and it just doesn't work like that in China It's not even close!!....

David.....