Author Topic: Visiting Relatives Once Accepted - Presents?  (Read 1220 times)

Offline Irishman

• Muireadach and Sunny
    • http://www.chinaromance.net
Visiting Relatives Once Accepted - Presents?
« on: August 26, 2009, 08:07:23 pm »
I was just thinking out my last couple of trips to China.
On both I met the girls family , one didn't work out in the end and the second one is looking great.

Both of them despite coming from opposite ends of the country said the same thing though regarding visits :-

Once accepted as a potential husband I should bring presents for all the family whenever I visit after being away.

Ling certainly bought presents for just about everyone she knew whilst we were away and I do recall that the previous Ling saying it was the "Chinese way" that everyone in the family get a gift after one of them has been away on a trip such as a holiday.

New Ling was very careful to explain to me that next time i visit I should bring her granny a present (she lives with her granny) and one for her brother whom i haven't met yet. Her parents are divorced and she doesn't see them often so I think that is why she didn't mention them. She was very serious and earnest about it. It doesn't have to be expensive, but I should definitely get them something.

Just wondering what the more experienced members hear think about this and what has been their experiences?
Become the change you want today, or all your tomorrows will be like yesterday.

Arnold

RE: Visiting Relatives Once Accepted - Presents?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2009, 12:05:27 am »
You know Irish , that is exactly what was on my Mind the last couple of weeks . knowing I will be going soon for the Interview . I was thinking in the way of taking them all out for a great Dinner , instead them taking me and Qing all the time . Qing's birthday is coming up , so I will just take her shopping for something nice to wear .
For the brother , if he Smokes ... some good ( better ) cigarettes . For Grandy , a CD player ( battery operated ) with some of the Celtic Women's Music . Music is universal and she will get a taste of your heratige .
« Last Edit: August 27, 2009, 12:06:24 am by Arnold »

Offline maxx

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2009, 12:28:27 am »
Irishman yes bring gifts smokes will work for the brother.For granny somwthing to keep her warm.

Offline Irishman

• Muireadach and Sunny
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2009, 12:41:26 am »
Thanks fellas, i had forgotten that all Chinese men smoke as a rule so will pick up some Marlboro's in the duty-free on the way over next time.
I like the idea of Granny keeping warm, it will be November and cold already in Tianjin when I visit so that's a great idea maxx thanks. A couple of traditional Irish music cd's might be nice too.

Lings birthday present which i sent over a month ago never arrived (and which i was charged 95 euro by Fedex for and which they wash their hands of saying it was delivered) which irks me to no end, though Ling says the thought is what matters so I'll have to bring her over something nice but that goes without saying anyhow :)

Offline maxx

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2009, 12:47:39 am »
Irishman run that thing threw fedEx again.Have them tell you who signed for it.FedEx China tried the same thing with me and my wife.Come to find out it was sitting in a wharehouse in Nanchang.

My wife got on the phone with China FedEx whipped some ass it showed up at her moms house 20 minutes latter.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2009, 12:49:21 am by maxx »

Offline Irishman

• Muireadach and Sunny
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2009, 12:56:51 am »
I'm just going to send her some more of those blue roses in a few weeks, she told me all about them when I arrived in China, apparently she nor her friends had ever seen them before so they were a smash hit. She even dried them out when they wilted to keep!

Offline MLM

• Zhou Li Weng Maines
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2009, 07:21:43 am »
Ronan, yes on the gifts, every time we go back my Lao Po packs a travel bag just with gifts for every one, and as long as I don't have more then 3 cartons of smokes in the bag, no worries.
Oh and you'll love Chinese new year in China, no other experience like it.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2009, 07:22:40 am by MLM »
TIME IS THE TELLER OF ALL TRUTHS AND THE HEALER OF ALL HURTS