Author Topic: Brian's trip to China...  (Read 9930 times)

Offline Martin

• Board Moderator
RE: Brian's trip to China...
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2009, 12:42:49 pm »
Winser is also on facebook.  If you are there, you can add him as a friend, and be able to communicate with him this way.

Offline Peterjb

« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2009, 06:06:27 pm »
Brian, we stayed at a hotel next door to the "night market" locals mainly stay there, i think about Aus$50/night, rooms good,buffet breakfast, bar etc. and around the corner from main shopping area, your lady should be able to track it down.
what to see.......everyone else has covered it, if you can, go and get photos of Olympic Stadium & Swimming Centre, very impressive.
good luck and have fun

Offline RobertBfrom aust

• Sujuan [Yo ] is my tai tai
  • Robert and Sujuan [Yo ] at home .
    • bopads.info
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2009, 01:23:51 am »
Brian , good luck with your trip , I am sure all will be well , regards Robert .
Now it is early to bed and late to rise .
My QQ is   1994376895
For electronics and books etc , check out , www.bopads.info

Offline Brian Mc

• Zhen Li
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2009, 01:42:33 am »
Greetings brothers,

Thanks for all the great advice and good wishes, much appreciated.

Mike thanks for the vote on the translator that sounds like a great idea Chinese to english plus saying the word.  Way cool.  Question though, does it work the other way also?  English to pinyin and say the word?  If yes then maybe we need one each.  One for her when I come back and one for me to bring back with me.  That way we can each learn a bit more language.

Also another thought here, how tough would it be to get her here for a visit at christmas?  I dont mean the tickets I mean the visa.  I think that would be cool to bring her here for a few weeks.  Has anyone tried this?  I mean we get tourists from Asia here in Canada all the time there must be a way to get a visa somehow?

Maybe all the tourists were Japanese I dunno but they must be able to go international one would think right?  I would pay for teh ticket if I could get her here, man what a christmas present that would be hehe.

I am waiting for her to reply to my last letter to find out what she has found about the hotels, will keep you posted.

Regards all

Brian

Arnold

« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2009, 01:54:35 am »
Have a nice Trip Brain . When in Beijing , you must try the Scorpion's on a stick . I promise they wont make you sick .
Oh , and don't trip over the Wall . Haha

Offline Brian Mc

• Zhen Li
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2009, 02:02:47 am »
Quote from: 'Arnold' pid='14813' dateline='1251611675'

Have a nice Trip Brain . When in Beijing , you must try the Scorpion's on a stick . I promise they wont make you sick .
Oh , and don't trip over the Wall . Haha

Hahaha Arnold you are so funny!!  While I love eating meat, I watched the movie The scorpion King,when the Rock was in the desert and ate the scorpion,  no I dont think so hehe.  However we are going to Zhen's sisters once we reach Handan and making dumplings.  Yes those I will eat hehe

Regards,

Brian

Offline JimB

• http://www.jandyenterprises.com
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2009, 06:49:56 am »
Scorpion on a stick is no big deal. It is mind over matter.   On the hotel, there are about 3000 hotels in Beijing, how close do you want to be to her place?  Which circle,etc.  I am near the north 4th circle.  I would be glad to help just need to know the location.  Just be ready for a hard bed.  I am dead serious on that.  It is still hard for me to sleep at night on the one we have.  Every hotel in Beijing has the hard bed as far as I have found out anyway.  The 8 days inn is within walking distance of the Square and forbidden city.  Clean and neat and about $60 per night for a no smoking room.  Just need to specify a room that includes breakfast and internet.  Also i do not think the translator will need a room.  They can come and go as long as they are from Beijing.  Like I said, I have one that does it all.  He can translate and is a certified tour guide.  That way he has no agenda to make things up just to see you get together.  I do not get anything from him if you use him so do not worry about that.  If you are a  friend of mine he will give a discount. I will contact him only if you are interested.  He calls me his godfather. Good kid.  With any translator you will pay his/her complete way.  All meals, travel etc.  
About tipping, that is correct.  If you leave a tip and the waiter just keeps it he could get fired.  What I did was get a bunch of lipstick and nail polish.  Just go to wal mart and get the really inexpensive ones.  Give it to the maids and such each day.  They loved it.  Of course your girl will say it is not necessary. And it really isnt.  Just up to the individual.  Taxi's are plentiful and cheap.  The most expensive one I took was from one end of Beijing to the other and it cost me 66 yuan. or about  10 bucks.  Average is from 10 to 20 Yuan $.68 cents to $1.40.  My wife is constantly trying to get me to take the bus.  I tell her no way, when the taxis are that cheap and get us directly to where we are going.  However, she has said I need to exercise more so every night after dinner we go for a walk.  It is really pleasant now.  the nights are nice.  Not hot like the last couple of weeks.  the days are cooler also and the humidity is lessening so it isnt miserable.  For the past 4 days we havent turned on the air so you are coming at just the right time.
Let me know what you want me to do.  Where the hotel and or guide/translator is that you want. Warm weather clothes are in order.  Depending on where you are going you might want to slide one very light jacket in.  Otherwise listen to your lady.  She is just trying to do the best she can, and not really knowing your likes and dislikes on some things she is probably nervous about what to book.  And if she is like mine she wants the man to make the final decisions.  Lets get together for lunch or dinner.  I would like to meet your lady and so would my wife, Mrs. Burk. lol  Plus it would be nice to hear English spoken after 3 weeks of nothing but Chinese. lol.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2009, 06:57:26 am by JimB »
Maxx's 24 hour rule, learn it, live it.

Offline Brian Mc

• Zhen Li
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2009, 09:24:40 pm »
Quote from: 'JimB' pid='14840' dateline='1251629396'

Scorpion on a stick is no big deal. It is mind over matter.   On the hotel, there are about 3000 hotels in Beijing, how close do you want to be to her place?  Which circle,etc.  I am near the north 4th circle.  I would be glad to help just need to know the location.  Just be ready for a hard bed.  I am dead serious on that.  It is still hard for me to sleep at night on the one we have.  Every hotel in Beijing has the hard bed as far as I have found out anyway.  The 8 days inn is within walking distance of the Square and forbidden city.  Clean and neat and about $60 per night for a no smoking room.  Just need to specify a room that includes breakfast and internet.  Also i do not think the translator will need a room.  They can come and go as long as they are from Beijing.  Like I said, I have one that does it all.  He can translate and is a certified tour guide.  That way he has no agenda to make things up just to see you get together.  I do not get anything from him if you use him so do not worry about that.  If you are a  friend of mine he will give a discount. I will contact him only if you are interested.  He calls me his godfather. Good kid.  With any translator you will pay his/her complete way.  All meals, travel etc.  
About tipping, that is correct.  If you leave a tip and the waiter just keeps it he could get fired.  What I did was get a bunch of lipstick and nail polish.  Just go to wal mart and get the really inexpensive ones.  Give it to the maids and such each day.  They loved it.  Of course your girl will say it is not necessary. And it really isnt.  Just up to the individual.  Taxi's are plentiful and cheap.  The most expensive one I took was from one end of Beijing to the other and it cost me 66 yuan. or about  10 bucks.  Average is from 10 to 20 Yuan $.68 cents to $1.40.  My wife is constantly trying to get me to take the bus.  I tell her no way, when the taxis are that cheap and get us directly to where we are going.  However, she has said I need to exercise more so every night after dinner we go for a walk.  It is really pleasant now.  the nights are nice.  Not hot like the last couple of weeks.  the days are cooler also and the humidity is lessening so it isnt miserable.  For the past 4 days we havent turned on the air so you are coming at just the right time.
Let me know what you want me to do.  Where the hotel and or guide/translator is that you want. Warm weather clothes are in order.  Depending on where you are going you might want to slide one very light jacket in.  Otherwise listen to your lady.  She is just trying to do the best she can, and not really knowing your likes and dislikes on some things she is probably nervous about what to book.  And if she is like mine she wants the man to make the final decisions.  Lets get together for lunch or dinner.  I would like to meet your lady and so would my wife, Mrs. Burk. lol  Plus it would be nice to hear English spoken after 3 weeks of nothing but Chinese. lol.

Jimb, thanks for all the great help and you are on we shall at least do dinner.  As for the hotel my Zhen has passed the buck back to me hehe.  Which does put me in a pickle.  I do not want to offend her and book one room, and assume we wil stay there together,yet at the same time if that is her plan then I do not want to offend her and make her think I would not want to share the room.  Ha conundrums heh.  Also for the translator I am not sure exactly what the plan is for she has never met the translator.  I would guess she is local so that eliminates that issue.

As for the hotel I think one relatively close to the maor site seeing things, so we dont have long travels to make.  I would rather take one long taxi from the airport and then be close to the rest.  So if you can recommend a hotel by name, something decent of course, internet so I can post here, and webcam my sister who is dying to meet Zhen, a comfortable but not luxurious room hopefully western toilet hehe and of course coffee!!

Oh by the way Jim she lives in Handan so I think she  may not be familiar with Beijing at all hence the reluctance to book the room.

So a decent hotel close to the sights would be good, at as reasonable a cost as possible obviously, the $50 to $70 range  I think would be great.  Yes we must get together, and I promise I do speak english hehe. Zhen however does not, so please bring your wife with you and we can have a grand visit together.

As for your friend the translator/tour guide I shall discuss this with my lady and let you know.  Also as soon as you let me know about the hotel I will go online and book it.
Thanks very much for all your help and look forward to meeting you in person.

To all the other brothers, again thanks for the advice and kind words they are appreciated.  

It is my intent to post here as often as possible while in china.  You guys have posted some great stories so hopefully I can do the same.

Regards to all

Brian

PS Jim as for the hard bed hahah no worries mate I spend enough time sleeping on the ground in the military I dont think it will bother me much.

Offline JimB

« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2009, 12:09:50 am »
Brian,

http://www.daysforbiddencity.com/days-inn-forbidden-city-beijing-reserve.html   That is for the days inn forbidden city.  Walking distance to a lot of major attractions.  I have stayed there and it is pretty good. about $60 per night to start.  I would book a room with twin beds.  at least for one night and see how it goes.  tell her that is what you did to make her feel more comfortable.  Or just ask her if she wants her own room.  Print out the directions on how to get there and take the phone number with you as most taxi drivers do not know where the hotel is. It is just around the corner from the Beijing hotel.  A major major hotel.  around $200 Per night.  If you are both going to stay in one room they will need her name also.  Otherwise she cannot stay all night.  Also she can check in before you get there if she wants.  I had my wife call there to see if she could get a better rate but the internet price is better.  Even so it is just for one night and if you dont like it you can always move somewhere else.   I dont drink coffee but if I remember there was coffee in the room. If you dont like this one let me know and i will see if I can find something else.

jim
« Last Edit: August 31, 2009, 12:12:15 am by JimB »

Offline daghoi

« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2009, 01:21:03 am »
Hi !

Jim knows Beijing better than me, but id like to throw in a few more just to give yoou choices.

http://www.redwallhotel.com/

http://www.shatanhotel.com/

Both are pretty close to each other. Walking distance from north entrance of Forbidden city and close to the east gate of Jingshan Park. I stayed at Shatan Hotel, nothing fancy but clean, friendly etc and the internet in the room worked ok. I walked by the Red Wall hotel going to/from my hotel everyday, looked fine.

You can read more on http://www.tripadvisor.com/

Offline JimB

« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2009, 10:03:34 am »
Daghoi, absolutely.  this way he can pick the one that best suits his needs.  I am by no means an expert on Beijing.  

Brian, i went to the place where Mrs. Burk and i bought our Besta.  I found the cheapest one with the ocr sells for 1298 Yuan or about or about $195 usd.  OCR is optical character recognition which means you can write on the screen and it picks up what you write then converts it to English.  It has a bit smaller screen than mine but still works fine.  we tested it out.  You may want something bigger but at least you have a number to go by  i think it was the 810.  they go up to about 4000 Yuan.  dont really know the difference.  didnt check out the most expensive ones.

By the way i think Beijing is gearing up for the festival in october as the taxi's are already have a minimum now of 10 yuan.  You used to be able to go from 3 yuan up now the minimum is 10 even for just around the block.  You are not being charged more, just a minimum.  What I am saying is that maybe the hotel rates will be going up also. That may be why when she called she got a higher rate than the internet.  So i wouldnt wait too long Brian.

Offline Brian Mc

• Zhen Li
« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2009, 05:57:22 pm »
Greetings brothers,

Just got back from Calgary with my visa so everything is set.  also just got a letter from Zhen and being the traditional virtuous girl that she is she figures 2 rooms will be fine, heheh.Which is also fine with me as I told her I love her traditional virtuous self and never to change. Also she is bringing the translator from Handan so she wil have company on the train and they will share the room.

So Jimb thanks for the link to the days inn I will hook up with them in a few moments, also my lady Zhen says she would love to get together to meet you guys so once I get there and rested we can set something up.  Also thanks for the heads up on the translator.  Wow so much to do and so little time to get it done hehe.

Daghoi thanks for the other hotel links much appreciated.

So anyway gotta go finish my letter to Zhen  be back later.

Brian

Offline David E

• David and Ming
  • Board Moderator
  • My favourite photo
« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2009, 06:51:50 pm »
Brian

Dont forget to pack a small jar of your favourite coffeee in your luggage. If you prefer real beans, grind them first and take them with you. The Chinese version of instant coffee (nescafe a la China) is awful !!!

The hotel will supply small packets of milk as and when you need them...and....good idea to take some sugar to if you use it !!!!

Lastly....take something for a headache....cant get asprin in China !!! and local alcohol (other than their very good beer) is a headache in a bottle !!!!!

From one coffee addict to another :icon_cheesygrin::icon_cheesygrin:

DavidE

Offline Brian Mc

• Zhen Li
« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2009, 07:30:47 pm »
Quote from: 'David E' pid='15058' dateline='1251759110'

Brian

Dont forget to pack a small jar of your favourite coffeee in your luggage. If you prefer real beans, grind them first and take them with you. The Chinese version of instant coffee (nescafe a la China) is awful !!!

The hotel will supply small packets of milk as and when you need them...and....good idea to take some sugar to if you use it !!!!

Lastly....take something for a headache....cant get asprin in China !!! and local alcohol (other than their very good beer) is a headache in a bottle !!!!!

From one coffee addict to another :icon_cheesygrin::icon_cheesygrin:

DavidE

David thanks for the heads up greatly appreciated, I will take some coffee with me heh and aspirins too.  Neither myself nor Zhen drink so that part at least is not a worry.

Jimb.  I just put in a booking request for the rooms at the days inn you recommended.  Thanks for the help.  If my flights are on time I arrive at the airport at 6pm local on the 6th, so however long it takes to get to the hotel from there.  I booked for 2 nights to start and we can go from there.  Also the 7th is my birthday so it will probably be the 8th or after that we can get together.Feel free to call me at the hotel anytime from the 6th onward and we can set things up.

Thanks again for the help and advice everyone.  Tomorrow I am off to get a netbook to take with me so I can keep you posted on events while I am there.

Regards,

Brian

Offline JimB

« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2009, 11:57:11 pm »
I forgot all about that.  I always carry my medicine chest and it has come in handy more than once.  I carry, aspirin, toothache medicine, eye drops, neosporin, imodium and kaopectate.  You can get the travel sizes at most stores.  It may sound like a hypochondriac but trust me, when you are sick and do not know the language having your own medicine sure helps.  Now of course I have my own nurse, but still carry it.

About alcohol.  For my taste the snow beer is very good and I am not a beer drinker.  I like wine, and the Great Wall Dry Red is cheap and excellent.  I get it in the supermarket for about 40 yuan a bottle. or about $6.00 usd  Whereas the Berringer I drink at home here is $13.00 usd (at home I pay $7.00)
I cannot speak to any other types of alcohol.