Author Topic: Travel Tips  (Read 3055 times)

Offline Ed W

Travel Tips
« on: April 06, 2009, 06:32:54 pm »
JETLAG:

I was at the Consulate General again today and got to talking with a chinese woman who lives here in the states but travels back and forth a few time per year. I mentioned jetlag and she had a solid plan of how she deals with it and I'm gonna try it out next week.
Here's what she told me....

When the plane takes off, the lights will be on for about 3hrs into the air. During this time they'll feed you the meal. Afterward they'll kill the lights until you near China. (She was specifically speaking of the flight from LAX to Beijing) During this time you should sleep as much as possible so your as rested as can be when you arrive in Beijing at 5am'ish. She says at that point you'll have had enough sleep to last out the entire day and will have a much easier time getting plenty of sleep that night, if not a full nights sleep.

She claims it seriously shortens the jetlag to as short as a day. I'm gonna try this method so I'll let ya folks know how it turns out.
Alright earthlings, what form do you want me to take?....How about a taco, ....that craps icecream?  My trip to china

Offline Irishman

• Muireadach and Sunny
    • http://www.chinaromance.net
Re: Travel Tips
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2009, 06:48:20 pm »
She's telling the truth, I thought it was weird, perfectly bright outside but they get everyone to shut the window blinds, then lower the lights and raise the temperature, hard not to fall asleep, which when you think about it all is good for everyone.
They hostesses get less requests from passengers and the passengers are also fresher getting off the plane.
Adrenalin will keep you going once you get there regardless :)
Become the change you want today, or all your tomorrows will be like yesterday.

Offline Ed W

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2009, 05:55:05 pm »
I got mine at Fry's (huge electronics store) but i'd imagine you can get em from any electronics or travel store. Cost me less than $20 USD
Alright earthlings, what form do you want me to take?....How about a taco, ....that craps icecream?  My trip to china

Chet Sams

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2009, 07:11:53 pm »
Well i got an adapter when i was in aussieville. Radio shack had them alll over the place.

Offline Ed W

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2009, 08:23:12 pm »
Quote from: "sameldrum1"
Quote from: "Ed Watson"
I got mine at Fry's (huge electronics store) but i'd imagine you can get em from any electronics or travel store. Cost me less than $20 USD
Ed,

What was your product called, and what did you use it for in China?

Thanks

Haven't been yet. Leaving on Monday to begin my trip. The brand i got is called a Remington, foreign electricity converter. I'll be using it for recharing my camera batteries. My laptop is dual power so all I needed was the plug adaptor.

Offline Chad

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2009, 08:39:57 pm »
When I was in Beihai most of the plugs would take like three diferent plug types. If you look at the device you want to plug in like a camera charger for the battery and it says 110 to 220 volts that plugs into the plugs they have. I think most things that do not have a three prong plug with the third being the ground a regular two plug prong will work. Although I did take a plug adapter I never used it.

Offline Ed W

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2009, 08:54:03 pm »
Darn! Chad your right. I didnt even bother to look at the charger but there it is. 100-240V ~ 50/60Hz. Seems i dint even need to buy one. DOH!

Martin

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2009, 01:15:33 am »
Since we are talking about travel tips, Peter mentioned a good one to me the other day.  He mentioned buying compression socks...I think that is what they are called.  You can probably pick them up at a pharmacy.  Put them on before you get on the plane...like at home.  It helps to keep the blood flowing evenly, and not throbbing in your legs.  I thought it was a good point.

Offline Peter

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2009, 10:30:29 am »
Also something else that Martin found out. Eat only thing with a marking of a blue S on it. This mean that the thing you are eating is controlled and secure as far as we understand.. It goes from candy to food and drink..
Better to be married to a wife from Changsha then have 7000 women in Chnlove

Offline Irishman

• Muireadach and Sunny
    • http://www.chinaromance.net
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2009, 06:56:30 pm »
Quote from: "Peter"
Also something else that Martin found out. Eat only thing with a marking of a blue S on it. This mean that the thing you are eating is controlled and secure as far as we understand.. It goes from candy to food and drink..

Good tip Peter, will keep an eye out for that next time i go there. Does that include beer?  :twisted:
Become the change you want today, or all your tomorrows will be like yesterday.

Offline Peter

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2009, 01:23:38 am »
I found it on beer to but I don't know if it is on booze too  :)
Better to be married to a wife from Changsha then have 7000 women in Chnlove

Offline Ed W

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2009, 03:04:01 am »
BTW folks, that tips about reducing jetlag worked like a freakin charm. It's confirmed!

Offline JimB

• http://www.jandyenterprises.com
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2009, 11:54:50 am »
The better hotels (in Beijing at least) have a 110 in the bathroom for a shaver but did not work well on my laptop so I used my adapter.  I am sorry I will look when I get home to see the name on it.
Maxx's 24 hour rule, learn it, live it.