Author Topic: Translation help please  (Read 14091 times)

Offline Johnboy

• Johnboy
RE: Translation help please
« Reply #90 on: October 22, 2009, 09:18:19 pm »
Quote from: 'Ming Zhi' pid='20815' dateline='1256258943'

Hi Andy,

My wife asked me to write this, she said it means:- "Is very pleased to hear from you"
Hope this helps,

Ming Zhi,Paul

Hi Ming Zhi!

Sorry to bother you but could you help me out please and let me know what "wo ye hen gaoxing shou dao ni de lai xin" means?  I've tried to translate it using MDBG Chinese Reader but can't work it out.

Thanks very much and nice to talk to you hear.

Best wishes to you and Paul

John  
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to say nothing.  (Edmund Burke)

Ming Zhi

« Reply #91 on: October 22, 2009, 09:34:05 pm »
Hello John,

No problem, she  says it means: "I am also very pleased to receive your letter"
Ming Zhi says if you have any more questions she is always happy to answer them.:fi_lone_ranger:

All the best to you John
 Ming Zhi,Paul

Scottish_Rob

« Reply #92 on: October 22, 2009, 09:37:32 pm »
Ming how would I say, "does anyone speak English here?"

Thank you

Ming Zhi

« Reply #93 on: October 22, 2009, 10:16:48 pm »
Hi rob,

Not long now!:icon_cheesygrin:
Ming zhi said "Who can speak English here?" is "you shui neng gou jiang ying yu ma? "
Best of luck with your packing and see you soon :fi_lone_ranger:

MingZhi,Paul

Offline Johnboy

• Johnboy
« Reply #94 on: October 22, 2009, 10:22:33 pm »
Quote from: 'Ming Zhi' pid='20818' dateline='1256261645'

Hello John,

No problem, she  says it means: "I am also very pleased to receive your letter"
Ming Zhi says if you have any more questions she is always happy to answer them.:fi_lone_ranger:

All the best to you John
 Ming Zhi,Paul

Hi Paul,

Wow, such a quick reply, thanks very much.  And thank you Ming Zhi, you are a real diamond!

Thank you also for your very kind offer of further help Ming Zhi, I am extremely grateful for that and will certainly call upon your goodness again.

I wonder if I could ask you a question of a different nature, as you are  Chinese and understand Chinese culture and a woman's thoughts and feelings.  The beautiful Fei, who I am writing to (who lives in Chongqin) says in almost all her letters to me: "I am a simple girl and like a simple life.  I will express my feelings directly."  I think I know what that means in relation to Western values, but have no idea if it has a different meaning in the context of my relationship with Fei.  And as Fei says it so often I am beginning to wonder if there is a message for me in her words; or perhaps I am reading too much between the lines?

Sorry to bother you with this but I have been wanting to ask someone about it for some time.

Thanks Ming Zhi and Paul for being so kind and helpful.

John
« Last Edit: October 22, 2009, 10:23:48 pm by Johnboy »
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to say nothing.  (Edmund Burke)

Offline mustfocus

« Reply #95 on: October 22, 2009, 10:43:32 pm »
Hey guys,

May I recommend another site instead of MDBG?  I took a quick look and it seems more difficult to use than the one I would recommend.  The problem is it's a bit broader in scope.  I'll let you guys make up your minds, but I think you may enjoy this translator better...

http://www.zhongwenweb.com/getword.html

In-Jaul
梦醒时分 - Meng Xing Shi Fen

Offline Neil

• happily married, working on immigration
  • Zhangping, Fujian bound.
« Reply #96 on: October 22, 2009, 11:30:31 pm »
well, MDBG is able to translate phrases and entire paragraphs, heck, entire emails.  The one word I tried at Zhongwenweb was ??? (Dear) to which it found no result - 0 for 0 is a pretty low percentage.

*edit - ok, on further testing, it will find single words quite well.  "Dear" came up with 4 entries.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2009, 11:33:42 pm by Neil »
...as irresistible as chocolate

Offline mustfocus

« Reply #97 on: October 23, 2009, 12:18:19 am »
Quote from: 'Neil' pid='20828' dateline='1256268631'

well, MDBG is able to translate phrases and entire paragraphs, heck, entire emails.  The one word I tried at Zhongwenweb was ??? (Dear) to which it found no result - 0 for 0 is a pretty low percentage.

*edit - ok, on further testing, it will find single words quite well.  "Dear" came up with 4 entries.

Maybe used in combination then?  It just seems that you guys have a lot of trouble translating phrases.  Just trying to help.  I'll try to help translate if I read it first. :)
« Last Edit: November 06, 2009, 07:51:33 pm by mustfocus »
梦醒时分 - Meng Xing Shi Fen

Ming Zhi

« Reply #98 on: October 23, 2009, 01:23:54 am »
Hello John,

I asked Ming Zhi about this and she said in her opinion that Fei is saying that  "She like the simple life, does not like the complexity of the expression.Is honest and  straightforward. His girlfriend this way: to prove that she also liked the same simple man" These are her words.
 I have often asked my wife to comment on other posts here but she says that she can not speak for other Chinese people so prefers to say nothing. Why she made an exception here I'm not sure!
Hope this helps,:fi_lone_ranger:

Ming Zhi,Paul

Offline Johnboy

• Johnboy
« Reply #99 on: October 23, 2009, 08:13:12 am »
Quote from: 'Ming Zhi' pid='20835' dateline='1256275434'

Hello John,

I asked Ming Zhi about this and she said in her opinion that Fei is saying that  "She like the simple life, does not like the complexity of the expression.Is honest and  straightforward. His girlfriend this way: to prove that she also liked the same simple man" These are her words.
 I have often asked my wife to comment on other posts here but she says that she can not speak for other Chinese people so prefers to say nothing. Why she made an exception here I'm not sure!
Hope this helps,:fi_lone_ranger:

Ming Zhi,Paul

Hello Paul,

Thanks very much for getting back to me on this; Ming Zhi has given me much to think about, which is precisely why I wanted her opinion about the meaning of Fei's words, mhhh.............!

Yes, Ming Zhi's wise and timely advice is extremely helpful and has given me a far better understanding of Fei's thinking - and how I need to write my letters to her in the light of that.  In fact, it's exactly what I needed to know!

Please give my thanks to Ming Zhi.  I am deeply grateful (and very honoured!) that she has made an exception for me.

Big thanks to you both,

John :idea:

Offline wilsbrough

• Li
« Reply #100 on: October 23, 2009, 01:05:25 pm »
Hi Paul and Ming Zhi.

Thanks for the help...:icon_biggrin:

Andy..
Every now and then i get a little bit nervous at the death of all the years have gone by....!

Scottish_Rob

« Reply #101 on: November 06, 2009, 07:00:27 pm »
Can someone please translate this for me...Thank you

"xia wu hao! Hen gao xing jian dao ni"

Offline mustfocus

« Reply #102 on: November 06, 2009, 07:50:51 pm »
Quote from: 'Scottish_Rob' pid='22168' dateline='1257552027'

Can someone please translate this for me...Thank you

"xia wu hao! Hen gao xing jian dao ni"

Good afternoon! Very happy to meet you.