Author Topic: Translation help please  (Read 14248 times)

Offline Johnboy

• Johnboy
RE: Translation help please
« Reply #60 on: October 10, 2009, 01:36:19 pm »
Quote from: 'Vince G' pid='19598' dateline='1255192647'

Google Translator is good for chinese to english and back. But that's chinese characters not for Pinyin.

AH? Johnboy why are you flying a Swiss flag? Your from the UK? right?

No Vince, what I was talking about was Chinese (simplified) words not characters.  

Yes, I am from the UK.  I can't remember choosing any flag but, as I keep saying, I'm a bit of a geek, so it's possible I clicked on something....I thought that the flag with my name was the Cross of St George, the English flag, and I was quite pleased about that as the Union Jack is the flag of Great Britain.  Now you have mentioned it, I've had a proper look and see that it isn't the English flag! I thought maybe you or another mod put it there?  Anyway, I'm cool with the Union Jack or whatever ha ha.  Could you do it for me please?
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to say nothing.  (Edmund Burke)

Vince G

« Reply #61 on: October 10, 2009, 01:49:49 pm »
OK.... This is Chinese (simplified) characters - ??????????

This is Pinyin - Wo jin tian guo dei hen hao, xiexie
There are tones (a number after the word to tell the tone that makes the word) or a accent over a letter to show tone.
Go to mdbg.net and type in ma. Then click on it and it will sound it out. Click different ones and you will hear the different tones.
Newbies gezzzz  :icon_cheesygrin:

brett

« Reply #62 on: October 10, 2009, 01:53:20 pm »
Wow, good to see a fellow Englishman here John, we can't let the Canadians get all those lovely ladies :sleepy:.

Offline Willy The Londoner

• Beyond The Dream in China
  • Board Moderator
  • Hair today - gone tomorrow!!
« Reply #63 on: October 10, 2009, 02:04:04 pm »
Quote from: 'brett' pid='19601' dateline='1255194023'

Fortunately I did manage to write some Chinese to tell her that as my plane flies over Hubei Province I'd wave to her, and I would be very happy because I knew she would be waving back :heart:. Wow, I got many romance points for that :angel:!

If you were using an African airline then for a small 'gift' the pilot would open the door and drop you of as they were going past.  

Willy
Willy The Lpndoner

Now in my 12th year living here,

Offline Johnboy

• Johnboy
« Reply #64 on: October 10, 2009, 02:33:49 pm »
Quote from: 'Vince G' pid='19606' dateline='1255196989'

OK.... This is Chinese (simplified) characters - ??????????

This is Pinyin - Wo jin tian guo dei hen hao, xiexie
There are tones (a number after the word to tell the tone that makes the word) or a accent over a letter to show tone.
Go to mdbg.net and type in ma. Then click on it and it will sound it out. Click different ones and you will hear the different tones.
Newbies gezzzz  :icon_cheesygrin:

Yes, it was the pinyin words but there were no accents over them, just plain words, just like those you have written: Wo jin etc.  I saw the ones with accents and tones, on other sites last night, but the text was very limited and you couldn't type in a phrase or sentence and get it translated.  

I know, I know, Newbies - don't you just love em! :heart:

(PS. Hey Vince, you won't send the dog round will you?)
Quote from: 'brett' pid='19607' dateline='1255197200'

Wow, good to see a fellow Englishman here John, we can't let the Canadians get all those lovely ladies :sleepy:.

Most certainly not Brett. Or the Ausies, or the LA guys - to say nothing of Willy the Londoner who seems to be bedding half of China! I hope he doesn't 'shop' in Chongqing.....:@

John
« Last Edit: October 10, 2009, 03:00:46 pm by Johnboy »
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to say nothing.  (Edmund Burke)

Offline Danny

« Reply #65 on: October 11, 2009, 07:22:50 am »
Quote from: 'Johnboy' pid='19611' dateline='1255199629'

Yes, it was the pinyin words but there were no accents over them, just plain words, just like those you have written: Wo jin etc.  I saw the ones with accents and tones, on other sites last night, but the text was very limited and you couldn't type in a phrase or sentence and get it translated.  

My suggestion is not to worry about the tones. Most people can follow what you're trying to say from the context. If you're making an effort they will appreciate it. It's better to have more sentences than to worry about getting the pronunciation just right. Try and find a website that gives you useful chinese sentences, and then aim to get twenty good sentences (eg thank you, please, yes, no, stuff like that). It's better than nothing.

Offline Voiceroveip

• Frank for you
« Reply #66 on: October 11, 2009, 10:20:59 am »
Interpretation help please ^^

????????????????????????????????????????“?”??????????????“soulmate”??????????????????????????????????????????

Thanks! It's a post not a part of a letter, I'm not sure this is intended for me but it might be.
Go deep or don't go

Vince G

« Reply #67 on: October 11, 2009, 11:24:44 am »

Curious what DOG are you referring to?

Offline Johnboy

• Johnboy
« Reply #68 on: October 11, 2009, 04:13:49 pm »
Quote from: 'Vince G' pid='19735' dateline='1255274684'

Curious what DOG are you referring to?

You posted a picture of what looked like a big, teeth baring, Rottweiler in one of the threads.  Can't remember which one but if I get time I'll try to find it.  I'm sure it was you, I hope it was or I'll feel like a right dumbo!
By the way, if you move the vertical bar on 'my flag' a bit to the left it becomes the English flag....ha ha
Quote from: 'Danny' pid='19707' dateline='1255260170'

My suggestion is not to worry about the tones. Most people can follow what you're trying to say from the context. If you're making an effort they will appreciate it. It's better to have more sentences than to worry about getting the pronunciation just right. Try and find a website that gives you useful chinese sentences, and then aim to get twenty good sentences (eg thank you, please, yes, no, stuff like that). It's better than nothing.

Hi there Danny!

Thanks for your advice.  I'm with you all the way on this one, and I have already tried what  you are suggesting in my letters to Fei and she was obviously very pleased that I was, to use your words, "making an effort"; isn't that what much of it is about when all is said and done? She also clearly understood my chinese words and phrases (without tones) and replied in a like-manner!  So, mission accomplished in impressing and pleasing my lady; longer letters from her in reply  - and it helps me to learn.  Win, win, win  situation?

Thanks for your support Danny, I need all the help I can get!!!
« Last Edit: October 11, 2009, 04:33:47 pm by Johnboy »

Vince G

« Reply #69 on: October 11, 2009, 07:00:00 pm »
Ah yes the 24 hr rule protection dog.

Ming Zhi

« Reply #70 on: October 12, 2009, 04:59:22 am »
Voiceroverip,

My wife asked me to write this;
She says that she thinks this was written by a man., and that he was expressing satisfaction with his girlfriend. hope this helps.

Ming zhi

Offline Voiceroveip

• Frank for you
« Reply #71 on: October 12, 2009, 07:13:32 am »
Quote from: 'Ming Zhi' pid='19799' dateline='1255337962'

Voiceroverip,

My wife asked me to write this;
She says that she thinks this was written by a man., and that he was expressing satisfaction with his girlfriend. hope this helps.

Ming zhi

Dear Ming zhi
Thanks a million! It does help yes ... very much! Thanks so much for your time, I wish I can send you some happiness to put a big smile on your face as there is on mine right now.

Thank you!
Go deep or don't go

Offline Johnboy

• Johnboy
« Reply #72 on: October 12, 2009, 08:21:36 am »
Quote from: 'Irishman' pid='19599' dateline='1255193010'

Quote from: 'Vince G' pid='19598' dateline='1255192647'

Google Translator is good for chinese to english and back. But that's chinese characters not for Pinyin.

AH? Johnboy why are you flying a Swiss flag? Your from the UK? right?

/sits back, gets popcorn.

Please continue :icon_twisted:

Nice one Irishman! You've got a good sense of humour, are you from the South? Johnboy:icon_biggrin:

Offline ron

« Reply #73 on: October 12, 2009, 11:46:53 am »
if you have any jolly rodgers I will take one:fi_lone_ranger:

Offline Voiceroveip

• Frank for you
« Reply #74 on: October 13, 2009, 03:18:27 pm »
ROFL ....Swiss Flag :icon_cheesygrin:
Go deep or don't go