Author Topic: Emigration to China  (Read 4671 times)

Offline Irishman

• Muireadach and Sunny
    • http://www.chinaromance.net
Emigration to China
« on: August 31, 2009, 04:01:35 pm »
Hoping someone can advise me here.

As you probably know I intend to marry Ling next year and a few months after that , as soon as funds permit, move there permanently to be with her and work doing "TEFL" initially.

Some questions :-

1) What's this about 21 days I read about having to be in China to marry your girl?
2) After marriage are you able to get a residency visa automatically - can you apply for this before arriving in China though your local Chinese embassy?
3) Does marrying a Chinese national automatically entitle you work in China, do I need another visa for that?
4) I have read about a medical being needed for a work visa, does this has to be done before entering China or is it done there?

If anyone knows the answers to any or all of these i'd really appreciate any advice you can give.
Become the change you want today, or all your tomorrows will be like yesterday.

Scottish_Rob

RE: Emigration to China
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2009, 05:18:47 pm »
Ronan...Have you been sneaking a look at my notebook???

Vince G

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2009, 05:50:06 pm »
I know the 21 day is a UK thing. Other then that? Maybe look through the UK Chinese Embassy link for answers?

http://www.fmprc.gov.cn/ce/ceuk/eng/

Offline Irishman

• Muireadach and Sunny
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2009, 06:00:59 pm »
Quote from: 'Vince G' pid='15051' dateline='1251755406'
I know the 21 day is a UK thing. Other then that? Maybe look through the UK Chinese Embassy link for answers?

http://www.fmprc.gov.cn/ce/ceuk/eng/

Thanks Vince, however I'm not in the UK!, just like Canadians are not in America so the local rules are different.

I'm more interested in what the Chinese government wants rather than the local government stuff, i don't think it will be any different for Americans/Canadian/Irish etc - we are all laowai in china so probably all have to play by the same rules.

Willy, can you advise on this 21 day thing, is this a UK thing that they want before they will recognise a wedding to a Chinese lady?
You get off lightly if so, I have to apply four months in advance of my intentions to marry Ling for the Irish government to recognise it.
Aws I'm planing on living there anyhow this isnt an issue, but its a ridiculous time frame regardless
« Last Edit: August 31, 2009, 06:03:13 pm by Irishman »

Vince G

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2009, 06:12:19 pm »
Yes I know UK is a different "Island" then Ireland but in a quick search most likely the UK and Ireland have the same rules as far as China is concerned.  The US doesn't have the 21 day wait aka Ed W's marriage right off the plane. What visa's for work and living you'll find in the Chn Embassy link and then what the Irish gov. will let you have. It's a combination of the two you would need. Oh yeah and a letter of invite.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2009, 06:13:10 pm by Vince G »

Offline Willy The Londoner

• Beyond The Dream in China
  • Board Moderator
  • Hair today - gone tomorrow!!
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2009, 05:04:44 am »
I was told that you have to apply to marry and that notice is posted in China for 21 days.  Before you can apply you have be in China for the 21 days previous.  If you leave China in those first 21 days the period then restarts when you return.  However if you take your single certificate with you plus a notorised declaration then you only need to have photos taken together in China and can get married in a day or so.

For residency you may have to start that in Ireland.  Much the same process as UK - you have to provide the document that sets out any convictions you may have whether this is none or a listful.  

As far as I can see you need paperwork from the PSB in china before you can start your application.

I was at the public security bureau yesterday and will be going back soon to start my application for permanent residency and will keep you informed of the process.  Ted who is going to be in Guangzhou will probably do the same from the US angle.

Being married does not enable you to work you need a residency or work visa for that.
Medicals no longer required unless your female under 50 and close to where I can perfom one.  ( Can't you keep serious for two minutes!!!!!!) :icon_cool:

Willy
Quote from: 'Vince G' pid='15055' dateline='1251756739'

Yes I know UK is a different "Island" then Ireland but in a quick search most likely the UK and Ireland have the same rules as far as China is concerned.  The US doesn't have the 21 day wait aka Ed W's marriage right off the plane. What visa's for work and living you'll find in the Chn Embassy link and then what the Irish gov. will let you have. It's a combination of the two you would need. Oh yeah and a letter of invite.

Vince the 21 days is a Chinese Law.  Not UK.  It applies to anyone USA, Canadia, Fiji and Christmas island and even Chinese people.  Best advice is take your paperwork with you and you can marry in days just like Ed did.

Willy
« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 05:12:31 am by Willy The Londoner »
Willy The Lpndoner

Now in my 12th year living here,

Offline Irishman

• Muireadach and Sunny
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2009, 06:42:59 am »
Thanks Willy, please keep posting your updates, I'm reading with rapt attention!

Offline Irishman

• Muireadach and Sunny
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2009, 07:42:34 am »
Thanks Ted, next question is about medicals!

I read on the Irish Chinese Embassy website that I need to get a "PHYSICAL EXAMINATION RECORD FOR FOREIGNER" form filled out if I intend to stay longer than a year which of course I do.  The amount of stuff on that to be tested is insane and some of it makes little sense in English - one of the questions is "infection" to which you answer yes or no haha!!

I assume Chinese doctors would be more familiar with that so maybe getting it done over there is a better idea? Have you had any experience with that side of things?

Offline Willy The Londoner

• Beyond The Dream in China
  • Board Moderator
  • Hair today - gone tomorrow!!
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2009, 07:48:12 am »
Quote from: 'ttwjr32' pid='15118' dateline='1251803521'

married we will then start the process of permanent residency. which is to go back
       to the PSB and start more paperwork. the first one is 600 yuan and second is 1200
       yaun. so all in all it will be 1800 yaun.
   5)  then i just sit back and wait till we get the ok or approval

Even the police are ripping you off Ted. My temporary residents certificate cost me a smile and my telephone number to the police woman.  
But then i've seen your photo so 600 RMB is probably cheap in your case!!!!

Willy
Willy The Lpndoner

Now in my 12th year living here,

ttwjr32

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2009, 08:05:54 am »
Quote from: 'Willy The Londoner' pid='15125' dateline='1251805692'

Quote from: 'ttwjr32' pid='15118' dateline='1251803521'

married we will then start the process of permanent residency. which is to go back
       to the PSB and start more paperwork. the first one is 600 yuan and second is 1200
       yaun. so all in all it will be 1800 yaun.
   5)  then i just sit back and wait till we get the ok or approval

Even the police are ripping you off Ted. My temporary residents certificate cost me a smile and my telephone number to the police woman.  
But then i've seen your photo so 600 RMB is probably cheap in your case!!!!

Willy

Willy
that one hurt   hahahaha
Sisi and terrence both came up with that so mybe
its just a usa thing  you know how it is they think we
are rolling in money  hahahaha
Ted
Quote from: 'Irishman' pid='15124' dateline='1251805354'

Thanks Ted, next question is about medicals!

I read on the Irish Chinese Embassy website that I need to get a "PHYSICAL EXAMINATION RECORD FOR FOREIGNER" form filled out if I intend to stay longer than a year which of course I do.  The amount of stuff on that to be tested is insane and some of it makes little sense in English - one of the questions is "infection" to which you answer yes or no haha!!

I assume Chinese doctors would be more familiar with that so maybe getting it done over there is a better idea? Have you had any experience with that side of things?

Irishman,
that has to be done there for us from the USA so i am sure
it is the same for you. i was told its just some blood tests
and a chest exray . and a lot of questions to which the answer is
no when your there. and oh yes of course some money.
Ted
« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 08:09:27 am by ttwjr32 »

Offline RobertBfrom aust

• Sujuan [Yo ] is my tai tai
  • Robert and Sujuan [Yo ] at home .
    • bopads.info
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2009, 08:55:27 am »
Hey Ronan , are you not making a mountain out of a molehill , why not take a 6 month teaching position to be near your loved one they will get you your initial visa to work n play and as soon as is practical chase up all requirements in your place of living , we will all know where you are teaching by the students with Irish accents :s
Now it is early to bed and late to rise .
My QQ is   1994376895
For electronics and books etc , check out , www.bopads.info

Vince G

« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2009, 09:08:22 am »
Quote from: 'Willy The Londoner' pid='15105' dateline='1251795884'

Before you can apply you have to be in China for the 21 days previous.  If you leave China in those first 21 days the period then restarts when you return.  However if you take your single certificate with you plus a notorised declaration then you only need to have photos taken together in China and can get married in a day or so.

Vince the 21 days is a Chinese Law.  Not UK.  It applies to anyone USA, Canadia, Fiji and Christmas island and even Chinese people.  Best advice is take your paperwork with you and you can marry in days just like Ed did.

SO? If you don't have the single certificate you have the 21 day thing? If you do have it there's no 21 day wait?

Maybe this is why I could not find it anywhere in the gov sites?

Offline Irishman

• Muireadach and Sunny
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2009, 09:54:14 am »
Quote from: 'RobertBfrom aust' pid='15137' dateline='1251809727'

Hey Ronan , are you not making a mountain out of a molehill , why not take a 6 month teaching position to be near your loved one they will get you your initial visa to work n play and as soon as is practical chase up all requirements in your place of living , we will all know where you are teaching by the students with Irish accents :s

Well, I have read conflicting reports about the medical.
One place says it has to be done before entry into China , another says it can be done in China.
Now if I'm living in China earning a Chinese wage its going to be extremely expensive for me to come back to Ireland and pay an Irish doctor/hospital for all these tests as well as getting accommodation whilst waiting on the test results. I need to find out this stuff before going, Its just being prudent i feel.

Scottish_Rob

« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2009, 12:11:34 pm »
Ronan I would go with the idea that RobertB came up with, me personally, all I am doing is applying on the 14th Sept for a years double entry visa...

The work Visa will get done by whoever I get work for... Plus it won't cost me to get that...:blush:
« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 12:12:03 pm by Scottish_Rob »

David5o

« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2009, 03:12:49 pm »
Vince,

Yes you have it in one!! ...haha!!

There's also another catch, as far as i can remember, after the 21 days of being in country, you can apply. Once applied there is another 21 days that your application is posted for display, for anyone to lodge an objection against the marriage, so in total 42 days.

That was the system i'm aware of, that was in force 3 years ago. It may of changed, but i'm not aware of any such changes.

David....