Author Topic: Well I won't be in Kansas anymore.  (Read 7466 times)

Offline Rhonald

• Ziyan Zhou (Yan)
Well I won't be in Kansas anymore.
« on: September 22, 2009, 10:06:57 pm »
I finally decided to book my tickets as I saw the price starting to rise from on line sites. I went to the travel agency in Calgary's Chinatown and paid $840 Cdn (travel agency phoned me next day and forgot about a 61 dollar tax - so just over 900 Cdn now) for round trip via San Fran to Hong Kong. I will be going Oct. 14th and returning Oct 27th.

On October 20th I will have a wedding ceremony with my wife in Shenzhen. I have been instructed that the night of October 19th I will have to vacate the apartment and be a bachelor that night before collecting her on the morning of the 20th. There will be tradtional Chinese wedding tests I will have to pass before she will leave her apartment with me. I am told that a pair of red shoes will be hidden somewhere for me to find inorder to place upon her feet to signify her new life.

As a good boy scout - I already have a plan :fi_lone_ranger: I will purchase a pair of red shoes and take them with me so I can claim to pass this test. Hey, if Captain Kirk can cheat constructively (Kobayashi Maru test ) - why can't I.

There will be a few other test preparred for me so I hope I can circumnavigate them inorder to gain my prize. I will try to update some pictures while over there
« Last Edit: September 23, 2009, 05:38:39 pm by Rhonald »
Life....It's all about finding the Chicks and Balances

Offline Martin

• Board Moderator
RE: Well I won't be in Kansas anymore.
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2009, 10:19:48 pm »
Great Rhonald!  have a fantastic trip!!!!  I am very happy and excited for you.  I look forward to the trip logs.

Offline Willy The Londoner

• Beyond The Dream in China
  • Board Moderator
  • Hair today - gone tomorrow!!
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2009, 10:43:17 pm »
Rhonald,

So where in China is this happy nuptial taking place?  Maybe we can all help out in the search for the red shoe.

I saw a couple coming out of a wedding shop the other day all dressed up in their finery.  Her in flowing dress and him in white suit at 8am in the morning.  I was told that  they were off to get their wedding photos taken two weeks before their marriage so they look good in the official photos!  The've probably been to the same stag nights as me where, following a good night,  the groom looked like S--t on the wedding day!!

Willy
Willy The Lpndoner

Now in my 12th year living here,

Offline Danny

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2009, 10:54:39 pm »
Rhonald

What a wonderful story. You are such a lucky man.

In Zhuhai we were visiting the Fisher Girl and there must have been fifty couples getting their wedding photos done. They all looked so happy.

I love the Chinese marriage and family traditions, and it sounds like you do too. By joining in with them, you become part of something so much larger. Your life becomes that much more meaningful.

I think it is sad that so many people in the west just live together rather than getting married. I think that marriage is superior to co-habitation in so many ways.

Well done and best wishes.

Danny

Offline Bob

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2009, 01:01:39 am »
Thats fantastic news Rhonald, my CONGRATS! :icon_biggrin:

Oh, one last thing, I do not know if you know this, but according to tradition, before you put the red shoes on her feet, you must first kiss them:icon_cheesygrin::icon_cheesygrin: LOL,,    Actually that is true, no BS. You must kiss one foot first, then put the red shoe on that foot,,then kiss the other foot, and then put the red shoe on that foot. You may want to ask her if there is a foot that you must kiss first? Right? Left? LOL. Well, I do not think you will mind kissing her feet or ,,,,,,,,,,, beep,,,,,,,,, ,  oh come on people !, I meant LIPS (top) ,:dodgy::icon_cheesygrin::icon_cheesygrin:,LOL,Naughty, some of you are starting to worry me, LOL.

Have a great time in China, all the best to you and your future bride.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2009, 01:16:48 am by Bob »

Offline Irishman

• Muireadach and Sunny
    • http://www.chinaromance.net
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2009, 02:11:30 am »
Rhonald, that's good thinking! I was at a Chinese wedding before and I know exactly how this shoe business works, be prepared for a riotous time haha!
Become the change you want today, or all your tomorrows will be like yesterday.

Paul Todd

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2009, 02:43:28 am »
Rhonald,
A man with a plan, That's what we like to see ! I hear it's quite a test just getting into the house on the morning of your wedding!!!!! let alone everything else. Best of luck my friend. I'm being spared these trails, well I think I am ! They do seem like a lot of fun for everybody else involved though!
Great news, My best wishes to the bride and groom.

Scottish_Rob

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2009, 05:07:10 am »
Great story Rhonald...sounds like a lotta fun to be had...congrats mate...:icon_biggrin:

brett

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2009, 05:07:12 am »
Feet kissing? Wow that is a great tradition.

Offline JimB

• http://www.jandyenterprises.com
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2009, 05:48:31 am »
It will really feed your foot fetish, that is great. lol.  No, Congrats to both of you.
Maxx's 24 hour rule, learn it, live it.

shaun

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2009, 09:56:40 am »
Ron,

Congratulations.  You don't leave anything to chance at all do you?  At least the things you know about.

Shaun

Offline Brian Mc

• Zhen Li
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2009, 02:46:51 pm »
Greetings Brothers,

Ron, let me also and our congrats to everyone elses, it sure sounds like you are in for a fun time.  I was going to ask Zhen about this but as she has not mentioned anything about these traditions I think I may just keep my big mouth shut heheh no sense in giving her any ideas.

Also how goes the visa process?

Regards,

Zhen and Brian

Scottish_Rob

« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2009, 02:59:01 pm »
Hehe ....or getting yourself in 'trouble' for asking questions Brian...hehehe

Offline MLM

• Zhou Li Weng Maines
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2009, 03:38:00 pm »
Thats okay Brian, I'll ask Zhen for you, Hehehe, Ron, good luck bro, wait, I thought you were in Canada?
:icon_cheesygrin:
TIME IS THE TELLER OF ALL TRUTHS AND THE HEALER OF ALL HURTS

David5o

« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2009, 03:54:16 pm »
MLM,

He is ....he said From Calgary VIA San Francisco, to Hong Kong. Your getting as bad as me in your old age mate!!  hahaha!!  Calgary is still in Canada isn't it ?? ...lol!!

David....
« Last Edit: September 23, 2009, 03:54:37 pm by David5o »