Author Topic: sending letters to China.  (Read 3837 times)

Offline wilsbrough

• Li
sending letters to China.
« on: October 12, 2009, 02:37:06 am »
Hi guy's.

I have a question, sorry if it seems a little stupid. It is my girls birthday in a week or so and i want to send her a birthday card. Now i have her address (at the cost of 2 emf's :dodgy:) I wanted it to be a surprise so could not ask her directly.. But it is in English, my question is, If i write the address in English, Will it get there? If the postman can not read English, How will it get delivered?

Cheers,
Andy.
Every now and then i get a little bit nervous at the death of all the years have gone by....!

Offline RobertBfrom aust

• Sujuan [Yo ] is my tai tai
  • Robert and Sujuan [Yo ] at home .
    • bopads.info
RE: sending letters to China.
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2009, 02:55:26 am »
Andy , not a silly question at all if your lady lives in a large city , ie, Changsha , Beijing or similar , I would say probably a 50 percent chance , but not for any of the smaller cities as they may not have anyone in the mail centres to read English spend a few more dollars and send the cheapest chn flowers , they will win her heart , all my mail and boxes have both English and Chinese Characters upon them so no excuse , when you get further involved ask for an email picture or as we did last year took a snapshot on Q Q of Ying address held up on a piece of white paper , put it into my memory and just print it off when needed , regards Robert .
Now it is early to bed and late to rise .
My QQ is   1994376895
For electronics and books etc , check out , www.bopads.info

Offline Sylvain D

• oO0° SLY °0Oo
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2009, 03:09:52 am »
Man has to know that the adress of the ladies can also be where they work, too, and not their own adresses ^^'
and if you got it via chnlove, then you may ask them if they can translate it in chinese for you (i bet they would accept to help you about it) :)
- Let's Rock -

Offline wilsbrough

• Li
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2009, 08:06:01 am »
Cheers guy's

Just to ask, if it is in romanised pinyin, (ie in Chinese but with english characters) would that work? As my Mandarin teacher could probably help with that. Oh she lives in Guangzou. Guangdong. Is that a big enough City for it to get delivered?

Thanks,
Andy
Every now and then i get a little bit nervous at the death of all the years have gone by....!

brett

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2009, 08:06:12 am »
I printed some Avery labels with her address in both Chinese and English. Even this extraordinary achievement didn't help as my teddy bear took 2 weeks to arrive from the UK. Maybe a letter would be quicker, but I doubt it. It's not exactly like Japan's postal system, which took 2 days to send my postcards back to the UK!!!

Offline Neil

• happily married, working on immigration
  • Zhangping, Fujian bound.
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2009, 11:18:20 am »
Yeah, I copied my lady's address and then translated it to Chinese and printed it out in both languages, cut out the printing so it fit on the package and taped it on.  Don't forget to add her phone number.  Very important.  I sent my parcel 3 weeks ago and it still hasn't arrived.  I hope it isn't on it's way back to Canada.  1 week may be cutting it close.  Maybe consider sending flowers or something instead.  They can include a card.
...as irresistible as chocolate

Vince G

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2009, 11:20:20 am »
The addresses given are sometimes the agency's address or her work address. A business package can get delivered just in english? I don't don't why but it does. (worked for a courier service). Sending a few times cards to China the only one that made it to her residence was one that had the address in english and below it in chinese char. Never tried it in pinyin? (btw Last name first). It did take like 10 days to get there.

Offline Rhonald

• Ziyan Zhou (Yan)
  • Moderators
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2009, 11:38:56 am »
Ya the one letter I sent her never made it. :s I drew a large heart and wrote her name in chinese characters. My work of Heart was lost - and as a typical dutchman - I cut off my ear.
Life....It's all about finding the Chicks and Balances

brett

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2009, 11:55:34 am »
Don't forget to write the address backwards as well :huh:. I'm glad my lady told me her address in English and Chinese. Incidentally some lady's may be reluctant to give out a home address, especially if the parents aren't too happy with the Western man idea.

Offline ron

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2009, 11:59:06 am »
backwards?in chinese?

David5o

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2009, 02:28:53 pm »
Ron,

I think he means that Chinese is written ''right to left'' and not ''left to right''  as in Western written language....

David....

Offline wilsbrough

• Li
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2009, 03:13:23 pm »
I have to say, i do feel a little bit cheated about this. I know we all know that Chnlove is a money making company, but to be charged two emf's for an address that by the sounds of things, if i use it, probably will not get there. Bit of a scam really? They should email you the address in Chinese script too, so at least then you can print it off and use that right?

So another question, have any of the Brothers sent their lady gifts via the Chnlove site? I.e, flowers, bracelets etc? How can we be sure the lady gets them? I am yet to speak to this girl directly over email or webcam, so if i get a thank you in an emf, how do i know it's genuine and not the 'Company' saying thank you in her place? I feel i need to do something for her, although we have only been chatting for about a month, If i just say 'Happy Birthday' in an emf i look a little uncaring and a bit of a cheapskate right? :dodgy:

Andy....

Scottish_Rob

« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2009, 03:18:01 pm »
Anything I have sent I done through the Post Office mate, and she has always recieved it, I sent them to the agency she is in...

brett

« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2009, 03:41:41 pm »
RE: Back to front addresses - well they write the country first and the person's name last, which is the opposite of what we would do. I might be thinking of some other country but I thought I read somewhere that if you don't print the address exactly right then they won't deliver it.

My lady told me her address, I didn't have to buy it. I just told her I wanted to send her a gift and could I have her address. I guess it might be more difficult if you want to surprise her but then I think the agency have to ask the lady if it's OK to give out her address.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2009, 03:42:11 pm by brett »

Offline wilsbrough

• Li
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2009, 05:07:58 pm »
Well, according to Chnlove, if you request the address through them, they do not tell the lady, unless you are a US citizen...? Dunno why that makes a difference. But apparently the lady can contact her agency and ask them if anyone has requested her address, but unless she asks, they will not tell her. I just hope that my Mandarin teacher is able to translate her address back into Chinese script. Fingers crossed. :icon_biggrin: But that's not until friday n i doubt it would get to her in time for the 27th. I may go down the gift shop route via Chnlove, but i don't really want to give them the business, they have had enough of my money already. But until i can get her address in Chinese script, i don't see how else i can get something to her. :(
« Last Edit: October 12, 2009, 05:11:15 pm by wilsbrough »