Author Topic: JUST FOR A LAUGH  (Read 278681 times)

Offline Willy The Londoner

• Beyond The Dream in China
  • Board Moderator
  • Hair today - gone tomorrow!!
Re: JUST FOR A LAUGH
« Reply #1155 on: July 10, 2012, 04:58:15 am »

The last statement in regards to quality of life is bang on the money and is an unfortunate reality in many places in the world. I would hazard a guess that most people who are armed do not feel invincible but feel scared and use the weapon as a crutch to mask their fear. It takes many hours of training to be able to use a wepon proficiently, be it a gun, knife, or martial art. If the weapon of choice - being guns in the USA - is some how restricted, then the next availble alternative causes the same problems.
Your right Rhonald most people who carry weapons in the UK do so because they are afraid.  But they end up not actually using them and themselves are the victims of the very weapons they bought to cover their own fear.   Training is the answer. There was a time when all and sundry in the police in the UK were handed guns on special events whether experienced or not.  But most had no idea how to use them.  I can remember a time when an officer was carrying out a search in a bedroom. Revolver in right hand and that was the hand he used to support himself as he was trying to search under the bed with his left hand.  Then bang the gun went off.  Blood coming from a very small bundle in the bed later revealed that the shot had killed a baby that had been sleeping there.

It still took a long time before firearm training became a regular but only then for a small number of police officers who were considered mentally suited to carry guns.

I am talking of experience from the front line and think. I am not against guns. I am against the average man in the street where ever they are living having access to them.  And flippant remarks and posters about guns are abhorrent to me.

Yet today another unarmed police office in the UK was shot dead going to help a neighbour who had been shot.

Willy
« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 05:20:54 am by Willy The Londoner »
Willy The Lpndoner

Now in my 12th year living here,

Offline Robertt S

• Georgia***Shandong
  • Administrator
  • Too Old for Instagram and Too Young for Life-Alert
« Reply #1156 on: July 10, 2012, 07:08:31 am »
Willy it is a attempt at humor.And a warning to thoose who would in crouch on somebody elses property.

U.S.A poor standerd of living? your gonna have to explain that one to me.And explain to me how you come to this conclusion.

Not standard of living Maxx. Standard of life.    Life is getting less valuable in the USA to some sections.   Your murder and manslaughter rate is quite high for a modern country. Then again after only two hundred years old so its still a new country.   But I will say that the UK is also heading the same way.   There is a reason but that is another question.

Willy

Life is not getting less valuable, some people just place a higher value on their and their family's lives. Where I live it takes about 10-20 minutes for law enforcement to arrive here, so it is actually a necessity to be able to protect your family and property. I am just thankful that I can do it legally, because it will be done either way! 8)
       I understand your point about the sign implying they will be shot in the back, that is actually meant to be funny. Just a warning to imply that unless they can outrun the bullet they had better not trespass up on your property because they possibly will be shot or shot at! ;)

Offline Rhonald

• Ziyan Zhou (Yan)
  • Moderators
« Reply #1157 on: July 10, 2012, 08:14:50 am »
     I understand your point about the sign implying they will be shot in the back, that is actually meant to be funny.

And there lies the gist of it - If I remember correctly, there was heated debate about North Americans not understanding British humour. This poster is as being straight in your face, American style, macho humour. But underlining much humour, are truisms that can touch a nerve as it has done here.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 08:17:51 am by Rhonald »
Life....It's all about finding the Chicks and Balances

Vince G

« Reply #1158 on: July 10, 2012, 08:35:31 am »
You all (Y'all) made some good points and I'm taking some from each.

Maxx had a point about the media and being the Zimmerman case is not far from here, I saw the media lay out their bullshit. Causing near riots by doing so. The media made reported statements of assumptions. At first it was said that Zimmerman shot the kid in the back and the photos released were of the kid at 10 years old. The fact is the kid was bigger then Zimmerman and 17. I am NOT saying Zimmerman was in the right or did the right thing. Two common environments crossed paths. A kid with an attitude and a weak man feeling power from a firearm (people are idiots when armed). I've said for years that a street level gun toter is afraid, doesn't know how to fight one on one. Wussies.

And to Rob, (A few years later when my ex split from me I wished I had a gun then.)  I did at the time and what I did was hand all my guns over to my next door neighbor, a NYC cop and had him put it in his safe (gun safe) incase the ex said I pulled a gun on her??

As for the guy that had the fake gun surrounded by cops. Place yourself in the cops position. Even if told it was reported as a fake gun? you don't know how true that is. He wouldn't comply and they weren't taking chances.

• Board Moderator
« Reply #1159 on: July 10, 2012, 10:06:33 am »

As for the guy that had the fake gun surrounded by cops. Place yourself in the cops position. Even if told it was reported as a fake gun? you don't know how true that is. He wouldn't comply and they weren't taking chances.
Good point Vince.  It does not matter how much training a person has.  When an item is pointed at them, then in a split millisecond someone has to decide to shoot or be shot.

While we have this gun culture more and more people will die by error.  A packet of sweets bulging in the pocket, a man with a item wrapped up that in a drunken state he declares is a gun (was a tubular table leg) a man going to his inside pocket for id. All these have died in that split second.  All this took place in London.

Willy
Willy The Lpndoner

Vince G

« Reply #1160 on: July 10, 2012, 11:22:52 am »
Well to bring this subject back on track here's a video. Not sure if all can see it? (youtube)

Denis Leary - Kiss My A$$

• Board Moderator
« Reply #1161 on: July 10, 2012, 09:58:46 pm »
Great Video Vince.

I particularly liked the last 3 or 4 seconds.  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Willy
Willy The Lpndoner

Offline Scottish_Robbie

« Reply #1162 on: July 11, 2012, 03:39:02 am »
haha loved the video Vince ;D ;D ;D
"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts" Winston Churchill

Offline Pineau

• All things considered .....
  • Board Moderator
  • God is great, beer is good, and people are Crazy
    • Youtube
« Reply #1163 on: July 12, 2012, 09:29:46 am »
Don’t give up when you still have something to give. Nothing is really over until the moment you stop trying.
https://chinaandfriends.shutterfly.com/pictures
http://www.youtube.com/user/gerrypineau/videos
http://youtu.be/zG4eoONlutE

Offline shaun

« Reply #1164 on: July 12, 2012, 07:50:02 pm »
It's not funny to make fun of the people from Georgia, Gerry.  They might come hunting for you, with their big a$$ shark.  ;D

Of course to be perfectly honest with you it happened so fast I don't really know if the shark had a big a$$ or not.  ::)

But it did remind me of the persons singing in a recent video called "Kiss my a$$."
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 07:55:16 pm by shaun »

• Board Moderator
« Reply #1165 on: July 12, 2012, 10:01:51 pm »

But it did remind me of the persons singing in a recent video called "Kiss my a$$."

C'mon Shaun you got me going again about that vid.  I get the last bit about the explosions on rewind and I laugh and laugh and laugh.   Wonder why it appeals to me.

Willy
Willy The Lpndoner

Offline Pineau

• All things considered .....
  • Board Moderator
  • God is great, beer is good, and people are Crazy
    • Youtube
« Reply #1166 on: July 13, 2012, 04:03:34 am »
Shaun, Sorry i did not see the offensive remarks posted with the video. But I thought they spoke Russian in Georgia ???

I should go back for a refresher in sensitivity training.
Don’t give up when you still have something to give. Nothing is really over until the moment you stop trying.
https://chinaandfriends.shutterfly.com/pictures
http://www.youtube.com/user/gerrypineau/videos
http://youtu.be/zG4eoONlutE

Offline shaun

« Reply #1167 on: July 13, 2012, 07:41:39 pm »
This morning I had to go to Dublin, Georgia for a meeting.  Woke up at 4am.  It was kind of nice driving before the sun came up.  I was going a lot faster than I should have been when suddenly I saw blue light begin to flash in my rear view mirror.

It was then I noticed that it had started sprinkling rain as the sun was coming up.  I pulled over and waited for the police officer to walk up to my car.  It sure was taking him a while to exit his car.  I got my drivers license, registration and insurance ready for him.  Then I began to think maybe I should include my concealed weapons permit so I added it.

When he arrived I saw why it took so long.  He was getting his rain gear and he didn't look real happy about it.  He asked me if I knew how fast I was going and I said yes.  Then he asked me for my drivers license.  I gave him all 4 documents.  He said I see you're ready for me.  He looked over each one then asked me if I had a weapon with me.  Yes I told him.  I have a .38 under my seat...  and... a 9mm in the center console...   well... come to think of it I also have a .45 in the glove box.

He looked me over... looked at my paperwork... then he asked me, "What are you afraid of?"  I said, "mmm... not much."
« Last Edit: July 14, 2012, 05:05:33 am by shaun »

• Board Moderator
« Reply #1168 on: July 13, 2012, 10:59:11 pm »
Hi Shaun

Reminds me of my early days here driving around. We ran into the rear end of another car.  We got out, the other driver got out he was the smallest Chinaman I had me to date, a real dwarf.  He realised that we were English speakers. So he looked at the damage and said 'Me no happy'  'Ok' said my companion ' Which one are you then?'

Willy
Willy The Lpndoner

Offline Robertt S

• Georgia***Shandong
  • Administrator
  • Too Old for Instagram and Too Young for Life-Alert
« Reply #1169 on: July 14, 2012, 12:04:30 am »
 ;D