Author Topic: BBC: Reporters  (Read 3060 times)

Offline mustfocus

BBC: Reporters
« on: January 09, 2010, 05:30:35 pm »
For those who have access to BBC's news services, This weekend's Reporters segment had a segment with something to do with marrying illegal immigrants.  Unfortunately I only caught about 10 seconds of it before I had to take off this morning, but for anyone who has access it should repeat again sometime Sunday.
梦醒时分 - Meng Xing Shi Fen

David5o

RE: BBC: Reporters
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2010, 06:16:35 pm »
mustfocus,

Yes, .... i saw that, it was mainly dealing with Pakistani and other TCN guys on temporary visa's, marrying East European women who's countries are now in the EU to stay permanently in the UK. The Bottom line is, .....If the immigration decide that the marriage is a Scam, (which was basically what the program report was about), then they will still have no leave to stay in the UK, and will be booted out with short shrift....

David......

Offline mustfocus

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2010, 07:08:41 pm »
TCN guys?  I'm not sure what those are (maybe I will after I try to catch Reporters tomorrow).

Either way, I think everyone would probably pick up something from the show.  Things to look out for and what not to do to determine if you're getting played for citizenship abroad or actually for love.
梦醒时分 - Meng Xing Shi Fen

David5o

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2010, 07:22:43 pm »
mustfocus,

Well TCN is basically a common term for ''Third World Countries''

Maybe, but what i remember of it, it was mainly about infiltrating Scam groups offering (for a substantial sum of cash) these guys, mainly East European Women that were prepared to be involved in these fake marriages. Some were so amateurish about applying for a marriage license that it would have been obvious to a 10 year old it was a marriage of convenience. The staff at these local registry offices then inform the immigration dept....

David....

Offline RobertBfrom aust

• Sujuan [Yo ] is my tai tai
  • Robert and Sujuan [Yo ] at home .
    • bopads.info
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2010, 09:22:39 pm »
Hah , perfect timing , yesterday one very pretty lady 42 , but that was not her bust size , that I have been teaching English was quite open in offering me 40 thousand U.S to marry and yes live together for 5 years plus , now that is how to get into trouble , double trouble , unless I change faiths , ha ha , luckily not in my favourite city , regards Robert .
Now it is early to bed and late to rise .
My QQ is   1994376895
For electronics and books etc , check out , www.bopads.info

Offline Willy The Londoner

• Beyond The Dream in China
  • Board Moderator
  • Hair today - gone tomorrow!!
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2010, 09:55:30 pm »
A friend of mine went through the immigration process for his lady about 5 years ago.  The Imiigration people went through his bank statements with a a fine tooth comb and there was one payment into his account of several thousand pounds.   This was not mentioned at all until they went for an interview for her 'leave to remain'.  At the interview they had, this amount was bought up.  Luckily both the lady and he remembered it was a payment from an insurance company for a claim.  But they still checked this out having received the company details.   So any large payments in your statements make sure you both have the answers as to what they were for.  Yes if you apply to marry in the UK to someone who does not have the leave to remain stamp in their passport the Registrar must by law report this to the Immigrations dept before the marriage takes place and the Border Force may well be waiting for them to attend the Registry office and stop any such marriage.    HOWEVER to get married in a Church - which takes a little longer but a Church have no requirement to notify the authority of an impending marriage.

Most UK Churches will not marry a divorced couple.  

Can a lady legally marry her father in the UK and can a man marry his mother- in- law in the UK and have children with her?

Willy
« Last Edit: January 09, 2010, 10:00:58 pm by Willy The Londoner »
Willy The Lpndoner

Now in my 12th year living here,

ttwjr32

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2010, 10:02:43 pm »
Willy   a lady tried to legally marry her father??
         thats pretty sick

• Board Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2010, 10:10:50 pm »
Quote from: 'ttwjr32' pid='27786' dateline='1263092563'

thats pretty sick

In the UK it is quite legal for a lady to marry her father.  But it is more difficult for a man to marry his mother in law!!!

Willy
Willy The Lpndoner

Offline jeffm

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2010, 10:27:47 pm »
Quote from: 'Willy The Londoner' pid='27788' dateline='1263093050'

Quote from: 'ttwjr32' pid='27786' dateline='1263092563'

thats pretty sick

In the UK it is quite legal for a lady to marry her father.  But it is more difficult for a man to marry his mother in law!!!

Willy

You've got to be kidding me.

And I thought we had some strange laws.
Watch what people do not what they say

Offline David S

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2010, 10:36:04 pm »
Quote from: 'jeffm' pid='27791' dateline='1263094067'

You've got to be kidding me.

Look at the bright side, none of that pesky name changing business.  Plus you can keep all your monogrammed personal affects.

rockycoon

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2010, 10:47:59 pm »
what is the old saying? oh yea, INCEST IS BEST, KEEP IT IN THE FAMILY...:dodgy:

• Board Moderator
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2010, 11:17:02 pm »
Better come clean on this one.  Before we overflow the pages.

A man in the UK can only marry his mother in law or a lady her father in law if the UK Houses of Parliament approves it in both the lower and upper house.

So it needs a special act of Parliament passed to do so.

HOWEVER a lady can marry her father in Church.

There are conditions - the most important one is that she has to be an Ordained Priest and her father has to be widowed and he wants his daughter to perfom the ceremony for him and his new bride to be.

What a set of disgusting minds we have on this forum - to thing that us refined English Stock would ever consider incest!!!!!:angel:

Willy
Willy The Lpndoner

David5o

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2010, 07:22:12 am »
Willy,

It came out in that programme that the immigration can not stop any foreigner getting married in the UK. What the immigration department can do, is not recognise it for giving leave to stay in the UK if they deem it a ''Marriage of Convenience'' Seems that one of these guys took it to the European Court and won his case under the human rights category. It didn't get him very far though, the immigration waited till he put forward his application for his permanent leave to stay in the UK and promptly refused him and kicked him out back to Afghanistan for breaching his visa conditions...lol!!

David.....

• Board Moderator
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2010, 10:12:57 am »
Quote from: 'David5o' pid='27846' dateline='1263126132'

Willy,

It came out in that programme that the immigration can not stop any foreigner getting married in the UK. What the immigration department can do, is not recognise it for giving leave to stay in the UK if they deem it a ''Marriage of Convenience'' Seems that one of these guys took it to the European Court and won his case under the human rights category. It didn't get him very far though, the immigration waited till he put forward his application for his permanent leave to stay in the UK and promptly refused him and kicked him out back to Afghanistan for breaching his visa conditions...lol!!

David.....

Maybe I should correct my self on this one  - If an illegal immigrants trys to marry they will turn up, stop it by taking the person off with them. But there is nothing to stop an illegal getting married in a Chuch as the church has no obligation to notify the authorities.

But you are right if the registrar has suspicions because of not knowing each others names etc they must report that and that will be recorded waiting for the inevitable leave to remain application.

Getting my illegals and marriages of convenience mixed up.

Definately back to the corner

Willy
Willy The Lpndoner

David5o

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2010, 01:07:49 pm »
Willy,

Not quite what i trying to say.... Basically the law as it stands now, is that any foreigner in the UK be it they have leave to stay permanently or temporary, or they are from an EU defined country can marry, be it in a church or registry office.

What the immigration department says, if they deem that the marriage is a ''Marriage of Convenience'' (therefore trying to circumnavigate immigration rules and conditions) That marriage is deemed as a breach of visa conditions and therefore nulls that temporary Visa. They can then repatriate the offender back to his country of origin without recourse.

Some can claim that there life will be in danger if repatriated, in that case there temporary visa is extended with a notification of repatriation should conditions change in that country. The conditions also get much tighter as regards to that persons movements within the UK, and what he can and can't do without prior agreement by immigration. For example ....if that person goes on to breech any of his temporary visa conditions in the future, they will held in a closed facility until such time as conditions change in the persons country, or that person wishes to return of there own free will!!

Illegal immigrants, when caught will go directly to these closed facilities, whether married legitimately and for real in UK or not. As far as i know, the same rules then apply to them if they can prove that there life is in danger in there country of origin.... but most will be repatriated within 30 days....

David.....