Author Topic: Adding the Chinese Font to your computer (Windows XP)  (Read 4083 times)

Offline mustfocus

Adding the Chinese Font to your computer (Windows XP)
« on: January 17, 2010, 10:42:03 am »
I connected with Rocky last night/this morning and gave him the ability to view chinese text on his computer.  Rather than repeating the process every time someone needs this, I thought I would create an instruction page on how to do it.  You guys can access it HERE.  Eventually there will be other simple tech support posts in there, but I thought you guys might be interested. :icon_cheesygrin:

As I said, there will be more posts there, but let me know if you want to see something specific...
« Last Edit: January 17, 2010, 12:04:06 pm by Vince G »
梦醒时分 - Meng Xing Shi Fen

Offline Martin

• Board Moderator
RE: Adding the Chinese Font to your computer (Windows XP)
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2010, 12:16:21 pm »
Good job mustfocus.  I am sure this will help a lot of guys.  Thanks for taking the time to do this for us.

Offline mustfocus

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2010, 12:45:38 pm »
Thanks!

Next up, being able to type up chinese characters (must know pinyin)...
梦醒时分 - Meng Xing Shi Fen

Offline Martin

• Board Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2010, 12:54:50 pm »
Quote from: 'mustfocus' pid='28479' dateline='1263750338'

Thanks!

Next up, being able to type up chinese characters (must know pinyin)...

HAHAHA...good luck with that one.  You also need to know Chinese characters, so you know which one to choose when they pop up.

For fun, I type in Chinese to my wife, and then ask her what I said.  Usually she is pretty confused and says something like...Gibberish.

Offline mustfocus

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2010, 01:33:25 pm »
Ok, did the post.  As you said, typing the characters in Pinyin is easy.  Choosing the right character is the hard part.  But that's what the translation web sites are for right? :icon_cheesygrin:

(I'm getting ready for all the screaming coming my way on why didn't I mention this before)
梦醒时分 - Meng Xing Shi Fen

ttwjr32

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2010, 06:08:13 pm »
i could not open it?

Vince G

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2010, 06:43:08 pm »
Oh Ted? It's on a blog which is blocked there. OK...

Adding East Asian languages to Windows XP
A common request I get from people is for the ability to view chinese, japanese or korean web pages on their computers.  The problem is for the ability to actually see the characters.  Most people will see only boxes or pages full of garbage.  To view these pages, you need to enable the supplemental language support.  Here's how...

TOOLS YOU MAY NEED:
1) Your Windows XP CD (99% of the time you don't, but just in case)

HOW TO DO IT:
1) Click on START -> CONTROL PANEL -> REGIONAL AND LANGUAGE OPTIONS
2) A new window will pop up.  Along the top, you will see tabs for REGIONAL OPTIONS, LANGUAGES, ADVANCED.  Click on the LANGUAGES tab.
3) Make sure that the two check boxes in the SUPPLEMENTAL LANGUAGE SUPPORT box (see below) are checked and click on APPLY.  Windows will state that you need to install about 210Mb of files onto your computer.  Click OK and continue.

Click here for enlargement

4) At this point, depending on how Windows XP was installed on your computer, you MAY be asked to insert your Windows XP CD.  I have had to do this less than a handful of times, but having the CD on-hand is always useful.
5) Reboot the computer.
6) Once you've restarted your computer, load up your favourite web browser and visit a chinese text web site (www.zaobao.com or www.wenxuecity.com for example).  If the installation went smoothly, you should be seeing chinese characters instead of boxes or garbage

Offline mustfocus

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2010, 07:00:13 pm »
Quote from: 'ttwjr32' pid='28508' dateline='1263769693'

i could not open it?

Sorry.  I just realized, you're in China and blogger is blocked there.  I'll PM you the text...

Or Vince can cut and paste it here. :)
« Last Edit: January 17, 2010, 07:01:28 pm by mustfocus »
梦醒时分 - Meng Xing Shi Fen

Vince G

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2010, 07:14:47 pm »
Yeah, I copied and pasted, I wasn't taking credit for it. :icon_biggrin: (I'm kidding)

mustfocus, I was going to wait for Ted to reply but I have a question. If you don't have the CD? How does it load (if it wasn't installed in the first place?) is there somewhere you can download it from?

Offline mustfocus

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2010, 07:20:18 pm »
Quote from: 'Vince G' pid='28521' dateline='1263773687'

Yeah, I copied and pasted, I wasn't taking credit for it. :icon_biggrin: (I'm kidding)

mustfocus, I was going to wait for Ted to reply but I have a question. If you don't have the CD? How does it load (if it wasn't installed in the first place?) is there somewhere you can download it from?

99% of the time it is pre-loaded, but I have encountered a few times where the cab files (compressed data) were corrupted.  Fortunately I've never had to look around because I carry a copy of XP with me in my kit in case I need to install it (just need to take the serial number off the sticker on the side).  If it does happen, let me know.  But they should be downloadable somewhere.
梦醒时分 - Meng Xing Shi Fen

Vince G

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2010, 07:33:29 pm »
I'm a Mac guy but just for argument sake someone like a friend of mine that loses anything that comes with something he bought?? He bought a 36 inch monitor, 2 days after I asked where is the remote? ??? D'oh!!!  I don't know? He bought a antivirus CD, He lost it before he could install it? So I know the XP disk will never be found.

Offline mustfocus

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2010, 07:50:35 pm »
If it is a pre-installed version (ie: a Dell or Lenovo or HP), They will have the files already preloaded.  But one way around this is to make the restore disk images as soon as you get the computer and put them in a safe place.

I'm not sure how Apple does it now, but if I remember correctly, if you need the latest Mac OS, it has been severely reduced in price. (I think $30 or so?)

And anyone who can lose things like a TV remote in 2 days...well... I don't even know how to answer that... :huh:
梦醒时分 - Meng Xing Shi Fen

rockycoon

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2010, 11:26:35 pm »
It's in the couch cusions....

ttwjr32

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2010, 09:00:27 am »
thanks vince and mustfocus  greatly apppreciated

Offline mustfocus

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2010, 08:40:56 pm »
So it worked for you?  Glad to hear it.
梦醒时分 - Meng Xing Shi Fen