Author Topic: What things are bargains in China?  (Read 13206 times)

Offline Irishman

• Muireadach and Sunny
    • http://www.chinaromance.net
RE: What things are bargains in China?
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2010, 11:29:54 am »
Talking of computers , I read online that the Chinese keyboard layout is the same as the American, can any American over there confirm that?
I noticed last time I was there that laptops are more expensive than here. So i was thinking of getting Sunny one here (the likes of Dell will sell one with a American keyboard too with International warranty) instead of over there if that's the case.
Become the change you want today, or all your tomorrows will be like yesterday.

David5o

« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2010, 12:07:08 pm »
If you insist on western named brands, then computer stuff is around the same prices as in the west, if you don't mind  Chinese named brands then they are a much better price than you'll find in the west... I think it's mad buying a known western brand when they use basically Chinese made components anyway... especially when your buying for your lady!!!
The Chinese laptops can be a much higher spec too, for the money that you spend...

As a general rule, you may have to hunt around, but i guarantee that you can buy almost everything cheaper in China than your home country .... As far as i'm conserned i'd rather buy a knock off than the original, at least i'm not being ripped off for the sake of a label! ..lol!!  That also goes for HK , ....well it did the last time i was there. Just have to know where to shop, and how to haggle ...lol!!

David ......

Offline Neil

• happily married, working on immigration
  • Zhangping, Fujian bound.
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2010, 02:12:04 pm »
I brought my laptop over and left it with Nina.  She can type like a machine gun (in Chinese).  That leads me to believe that at least our letter/number layout is the same or similar to Chinese keyboards Irish.
...as irresistible as chocolate

Offline Irishman

• Muireadach and Sunny
    • http://www.chinaromance.net
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2010, 02:17:38 pm »
Quote from: 'Neil' pid='28970' dateline='1264101124'

I brought my laptop over and left it with Nina.  She can type like a machine gun (in Chinese).  That leads me to believe that at least our letter/number layout is the same or similar to Chinese keyboards Irish.

Thanks Neil, I'm almost afraid to ask..do Canadians use a US keyboard layout?

My Sunny types Chinese using pinyin I think, watching her, she types letters and then a drop down menu appears for Chinese characters appears, so I see no benefit to buying over there if the letters are in standard US layout.
Become the change you want today, or all your tomorrows will be like yesterday.

Offline Neil

• happily married, working on immigration
  • Zhangping, Fujian bound.
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2010, 03:00:32 pm »
haha.  English speaking Canadians do.  We're a bilingual country so some of us use the French keyboard layout (qwerty keyboard with access to all the accents).  

My first trip, Nina typed pinyin.  My last trip she typed using a different system.  Similar, but it seemed a heck of a lot faster.  It amazed me that she could switch between the two.  They take their education very seriously.
...as irresistible as chocolate

Offline dude

« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2010, 06:52:30 pm »
Quote from: 'David5o' pid='28961' dateline='1264093628'

If you insist on western named brands, then computer stuff is around the same prices as in the west, if you don't mind  Chinese named brands then they are a much better price than you'll find in the west... I think it's mad buying a known western brand when they use basically Chinese made components anyway... especially when your buying for your lady!!!
The Chinese laptops can be a much higher spec too, for the money that you spend...

As a general rule, you may have to hunt around, but i guarantee that you can buy almost everything cheaper in China than your home country .... As far as i'm conserned i'd rather buy a knock off than the original, at least i'm not being ripped off for the sake of a label! ..lol!!  That also goes for HK , ....well it did the last time i was there. Just have to know where to shop, and how to haggle ...lol!!

David ......

David,

I'm curious...where do you get your information? Because everything(except being made in China and/or Taiwan) you posted on this subject is incorrect!

To begin with you buy a knock off you will be lucky if it lasts a year! Prices are higher here in China than the U.S.(so not all of the western world has higher priced computers). I've checked many places, while here in China(with female hagglers) and Chinese name pc's run for more than the eco brands in the U.S.!

As I build my own pc's at home(been doing this as a hobbie for over 14 years) what exactly are you talking about with specs? Processing speed, memory, hard drives space, motherboards? what??? I don't seeing anything with higher specs here than I do in the U.S.!

When it comes to pc's/laptops/parts buying knock-off's is a joke!!! I've seen much knock-off hardware go bad in a short amount of time!

Myself, I prefer building my own pc's with known great hardware(not knock-off) that last and work great for a long time)...please argue your point more! Since you enjoy this! Fact is your wrong!

In the western world there is a saying: "you get what you pay for" and you will pay more here than at least one place in the western world...If your so certain I am wrong please prove it...I WOULD LOVE TO SEE THIS...LOL!!!!!
« Last Edit: January 21, 2010, 06:56:38 pm by dude »

David5o

« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2010, 07:46:03 pm »
Bigbutt,

If your into building your own computers, then your best to find the computer component streets in your area in Changsha. They will be cheaper than you buy in the states, ...hell China's where most of the branded computers components are manufactured. The local branded computers use the same components, and usually top of the spec range too.
All or most of the the components you mentioned, depends on how much your intending to pay for your machine!!

I'm saying, ....for a given amount of money spent on a computer, you will get a higher spec machine from the local branded name's than you will get the Western branded ones... And they are just as good as the western branded names. I bought Lucy's father such a laptop 3 nearly 4 years or so ago, never had a single problem with it to date!!

Who mentioned anything about knock off computers??

Well if you think that the knock off clothes are bad, don't buy any there, wait till you get back home and buy them all there. All i can say is your buying in all the wrong places. Are you saying that all your wifes clothes last her a year and start falling apart, ...No, i didn't think so!! I still have and still wear knock off stuff that i bought 5 or 6 years ago, nothing wrong with them at all. I've had very little clothing fall apart as you say, in fact i can't remember anything falling apart....

A final point, No, i won't be arguing the point with you, as you know China far more than i do Right lol!! ...You've been there 5 minutes, it took me over 6 months to find my way around with the help of local work colleagues before i really knew where the best places are to find this and that, and it took roughly that amount of time again, in each of the cities i've worked in there. As i've said many times, it takes a lot of legwork, ask any of the Bro's that live there, they'll tell you the same thing.  ...so walk before you start running!!  hahaha!!!

David....

Offline Voiceroveip

• Frank for you
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2010, 07:46:55 pm »
Abigbutt,

Hehe I build my desktops too since 1991 or so, basically since the first component stores appeared with the 486 CPUs ... Some of the IT is cheaper, Intel or AMD CPUs are not of course but I bought a 2.5" HDD WD Caviar Blue 320GB for 320 RMB + 80RMB external enclosure in November, it passes the WD identification (when hooked up on e-SATA) so it's genuine (they are made in China), and it was 50% less than in France. US prices are much lower due to the exchange rate with Euro and due to US corporations milking European consumers), so maybe that ratio is not true for American. I also saw a new laptop, I think a 14" with some Intel CPU (not Atom or Celeron, something half decent, 2GB / 160GB), Chinese brand for 1400 RMB in Shenzhen. You can't even get a decent used laptop for that amount of money here, and you can actually buy a laptop without a Windows licence in China, although now you can get a refund in Europe if you request it on the purchase of a new laptop with MS OS...

But yes some of the big brands are not good deals in China. The stores I went to were recommended by locals by the way, I'm not sure I would have found them alone.

Frank
« Last Edit: January 21, 2010, 07:51:21 pm by Voiceroveip »
Go deep or don't go

ttwjr32

« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2010, 07:57:07 pm »
Well lets see we spend an enormous amount of money writing,meeting,traveling,visa stuff,
 on these chinese women. and after it is all done and said we end up with a wonderful,devoted,
 kind,caring, lady. so i think that is the best bargain we could get in china:icon_cheesygrin:

Offline Voiceroveip

• Frank for you
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2010, 04:45:25 am »
I hope to be able to confirm that soon! :icon_cheesygrin::icon_cheesygrin:
Go deep or don't go

Offline Oiler1

« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2010, 11:25:47 pm »
Quote from: 'ttwjr32' pid='28997' dateline='1264121827'

Well lets see we spend an enormous amount of money writing,meeting,traveling,visa stuff,
 on these chinese women. and after it is all done and said we end up with a wonderful,devoted,
 kind,caring, lady. so i think that is the best bargain we could get in china:icon_cheesygrin:

Or you can get divorced and half your money is gone. That's no bargain. Just be careful.

David5o

« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2010, 05:27:26 pm »
Oiler1,

That's a chance everyone takes when they get married, be it a home bred woman or a Chinese woman. I don't think anyone thinks about divorce when getting married, maybe some that have been down that road once or twice (some even more times) may do. But it has never stopped them in the past, and i doubt that it's going to stop them in the future.

So, ...You pays your money and take your chances, It's up to the individules to be sure in there own minds, that the woman there marrying is the ''Right One'' for them, and just as important, ....that they are the ''Right Man'' for their woman!!  Unfortunately life holds no guarantees, so any marriage is only going to be as good, as what your both prepared to put into it....  

David......
« Last Edit: January 23, 2010, 05:32:48 pm by David5o »

Offline Voiceroveip

• Frank for you
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2010, 05:23:32 am »
Actually ...

While waiting in line for a Visa at the Chinese consulate in Paris, I talked to an older Chinese guy who had been living in France for over 30 years. He advised me not to pick a Chinese wife :P but to stay out of trouble and find one in France ... we exchanged about all our views and he simply wished me good luck in the end ... he did admit thought that like in any country, there are also pearls in China :angel:

Frank
Go deep or don't go

ttwjr32

« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2010, 05:59:33 am »
Frank,

what were his reasons for his viewpoint on not
marrying a chinese lady?

Ted

Offline Voiceroveip

• Frank for you
« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2010, 06:40:18 am »
Ted,

He said they can be terrible, have a temper, be very stubborn and very cruel if things don't go their way. I could only ask how that was any different to Western women :P. Then I said I liked how the average euducation was so good and tradition and family values were still important for Chinese women, to which he agreed saying that Confucious did a lot of good there. :icon_cheesygrin::icon_cheesygrin:

Frank
Go deep or don't go