Author Topic: brand new  (Read 14247 times)

Offline Neil

• happily married, working on immigration
  • Zhangping, Fujian bound.
RE: brand new
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2010, 10:35:44 am »
Yeah, I'd be interested to know if I was breaking some law that could have gotten us in trouble.  Nina never mentioned anything about it, her friends all knew I was staying there too.  I'll ask her.  Maybe Zhongshan is more liberal than other cities.
...as irresistible as chocolate

David5o

« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2010, 10:36:13 am »
William,

I really don't think there is a problem Staying at your ladies place these days. If you want to play safe, just register at a cheap hotel for the first night, and everyone's happy!!...lol!! I've known more than a few that have gone straight to there girlfriends apartment on arrival from the airport. If i'm not mistaken, i believe BigButt did on his last visit, to his fiancee in Changsha before he was married!!

This was a bit of a problem in the past Will, but things have opened up so much now, and foreigners can now move about China pretty much as they please. In the past they were required to register at a police station if they moved/stayed in another city than they first registered for more than 48 hrs. That is no-longer a requirement, and hasn't been for a good few years now!!

Now, if your lady is prepared to have you stay at her apartment, that is a hell of a good start for you. That is showing you, that she has a lot of confidence in you.... And no-way are you talking to a translator...lol!!
Let's just say, your starting off on your journey/first visit in a far far better position than most have experienced here, so make the most of it. Be aware, that she is putting a lot of trust in you, appreciate it, don't take it for granted.... all the best to you William

David......

Vince G

« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2010, 10:52:38 am »
Quote from: 'David5o' pid='29275' dateline='1264433773'

I really don't think there is a problem Staying at your ladies place these days.

This was a bit of a problem in the past Will, but things have opened up so much now, and foreigners can now move about China pretty much as they please. In the past they were required to register at a police station if they moved/stayed in another city than they first registered for more than 48 hrs. That is no-longer a requirement, and hasn't been for a good few years now!!

It all depends where you are going and if they want to give you a hard time. But I recall one of the members here, Willy, Jim B? That they knocked on the door wanting to see the papers. He had to go down and clear things up.

Offline falcon

« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2010, 10:54:57 am »

William,

I really don't think there is a problem Staying at your ladies place these days. If you want to play safe, just register at a cheap hotel for the first night, and everyone's happy!!...lol!! I've known more than a few that have gone straight to there girlfriends apartment on arrival from the airport. If i'm not mistaken, i believe BigButt did on his last visit, to his fiancee in Changsha before he was married!!

Now, if your lady is prepared to have you stay at her apartment, that is a hell of a good start for you. That is showing you, that she has a lot of confidence in you.... And no-way are you talking to a translator...lol!!
Let's just say, your starting off on your journey/first visit in a far far better position than most have experienced here, so make the most of it. Be aware, that she is putting a lot of trust in you, appreciate it, don't take it for granted.... all the best to you William

David......

Thanks David. It did cross my mind about the trust thing, I mean someone half a world away that you just know online so I am jazzed about it all. She says she has told her mother about us talking and that her mother is open minded, so far it seems all good.

William
Quote from: 'ttwjr32' pid='29276' dateline='1264433936'

Neil,
you did break a terrible law and now the chinese underground police are looking for you with
your picture posted all over china. Just joking   couldnt resist

Falcon,

welcome and you just go to the police and take your passport and they will fill
out a form and i think it was 30 rmb but i forget. dont be surprised if the police
show up at your door after the nieghbors see you and call  they did that 2 times with
me the second time i offered them a cigarette and they had one with me and then each
of them gave me 2 of theirs when they left. yea its my bad habit smoking  
they just look at the paper and nod. im in guangzhou not sure were your going but if
its a small town expect a lot of stares just normal

Ted

Nice to meet you Neil, thanks for the advice and your very practical input, just what is needed. I am much more comfortable with the issue now, my thinking at the moment is hit all the marks you are supposed to but it is not that big a deal
Quote from: 'falcon' pid='29279' dateline='1264434897'

William,

David......

Thanks David. It did cross my mind about the trust thing, I mean someone half a world away that you just know online so I am jazzed about it all. She says she has told her mother about us talking and that her mother is open minded, so far it seems all good.

William

Quote from: 'ttwjr32' pid='29276' dateline='1264433936'

Neil,
you did break a terrible law and now the chinese underground police are looking for you with
your picture posted all over china. Just joking   couldnt resist

Falcon,

welcome and you just go to the police and take your passport and they will fill
out a form and i think it was 30 rmb but i forget. dont be surprised if the police
show up at your door after the nieghbors see you and call  they did that 2 times with
me the second time i offered them a cigarette and they had one with me and then each
of them gave me 2 of theirs when they left. yea its my bad habit smoking  
they just look at the paper and nod. im in guangzhou not sure were your going but if
its a small town expect a lot of stares just normal

Ted

Nice to meet you Neil, thanks for the advice and your very practical input, just what is needed. I am much more comfortable with the issue now, my thinking at the moment is hit all the marks you are supposed to but it is not that big a deal

Sorry for my confusion, change Neil to Ted here
« Last Edit: January 25, 2010, 11:00:30 am by falcon »

David5o

« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2010, 11:03:58 am »
Vince,

That was Willy i believe, and the visit was after several weeks of him moving in to his apartment in his previous city. I think the query related to his Visa, and his legality to stay in China, as far as i can remember it had nothing to do with living with his girlfriend. Well at that time he wasn't, she just visited him often...haha!!! She was still living elsewhere, I think because it was much closer to her work....

David....

Vince G

« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2010, 11:16:00 am »
One thing I do that I am consistent with is being prepared. Whether it's work or just everyday life. I'm always thinking if this happens I can do this. I just didn't want the guy to get there and then have a knock on the door and be standing there in his underwear like Willy? :s

I'm just stating the possibilities.

David5o

« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2010, 11:23:24 am »
Vince ...

Yes, ...i remember, that's exactly how they found him when he opened the door to them ...hahaha!!!

As i say, William will probably only be staying there for a couple of weeks or so, and the Chinese police just ain't that quick in getting round to checking stuff like this these days.
Hell, most of the University student lovers are all living together these days.... I guess times are a changing, ....Even in China!!   lol!!

David....

ttwjr32

« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2010, 11:33:45 am »
they arent worried or care about nationals here they look at westerners
because its a revenue producing fine. carry your passport or a copy of your passport page
as in gz its a 150 rmb fine for not having it in your possesion. my brother in law who is in the
other police force said close to and during the asian games the checks will be more frequent
and regular close to means may of this year

David5o

« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2010, 11:47:28 am »
Ted,

Make that a copy of your passport, ...if you lose your passport in China, it can be a hell of pain to get it replaced. For those staying at hotels, ....get the Receptionist to make a copy of the relevant pages (Include your Chinese visa page) Have them stamp the copy with the Hotel rubber stamp, and ask them to write in Chinese on the copy, ....''Original passport presently located in hotel safe for safe keeping'' That should be more than sufficient for a casual police inspection.

David....

Offline dude

« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2010, 12:16:10 pm »
Hello William,

Welcome to this forum! I seen your post and read what people have posted here. David50 is correct about me staying with my wife before we married. Also, Vince is correct about it being against the law. Do you plan on marrying her when you come to China or are you coming(testing waters) then making a decision then? If you don't plan on marrying her this trip, what David50 said about a hotel might be better...just things to consider!

According to my wife, most people here in China will not call the police on you, because your staying with a woman. People don't like getting involved with the police! But as Vince has said one of the people here had a problem...maybe better safe than sorry(depending on how well your getting to know this lady before coming to China)! Like Johnboy has pointed out, webcam with her will go a long way with getting to know her before coming! It's not necessary, but it helps!

I never registered with the police while staying here in China, until recently as my visa will expire in Feb., since I am married, my wife and I went to police station to renew my visa with temp resident visa. I've been here for over a month and haven't had any problems with police(never question me or ask for pp/visa). If trouble doesn't follow you, all should be good! Like the other members here suggest, get to know her really good before going and keep an OPEN-MIND, things can quickly go south when you arrive! Wish you the best, in this journey...finding a good wife here is worth more than anything! :icon_biggrin:

Jim

Offline Martin

• Board Moderator
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2010, 12:43:25 pm »
I am the same as Neil.  On my first trip, I registered with the police when I stayed at my in-laws place.  Then we went to Changsha to her brothers place, i did not bother registering.  And on my second trip, I did not register when I stayed at the in-laws.

Registering with the police is an easy process though.  You just need your address where you are staying, and your passport.

Offline falcon

« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2010, 04:32:52 pm »
Quote from: 'abigbutt' pid='29295' dateline='1264439770'

Hello William,

Welcome to this forum! I seen your post and read what people have posted here. David50 is correct about me staying with my wife before we married. Also, Vince is correct about it being against the law. Do you plan on marrying her when you come to China or are you coming(testing waters) then making a decision then? If you don't plan on marrying her this trip, what David50 said about a hotel might be better...just things to consider!

According to my wife, most people here in China will not call the police on you, because your staying with a woman. People don't like getting involved with the police! But as Vince has said one of the people here had a problem...maybe better safe than sorry(depending on how well your getting to know this lady before coming to China)! Like Johnboy has pointed out, webcam with her will go a long way with getting to know her before coming! It's not necessary, but it helps!

I never registered with the police while staying here in China, until recently as my visa will expire in Feb., since I am married, my wife and I went to police station to renew my visa with temp resident visa. I've been here for over a month and haven't had any problems with police(never question me or ask for pp/visa). If trouble doesn't follow you, all should be good! Like the other members here suggest, get to know her really good before going and keep an OPEN-MIND, things can quickly go south when you arrive! Wish you the best, in this journey...finding a good wife here is worth more than anything! :icon_biggrin:

Jim

Hello Jim, and thanks for the advice. I am thinking it might be a good idea to have a hotel room reserved for a couple of nights should as you said things go south. As far as getting married that remains to be seen, something while i will not rule out but it seems to fast. I would be on a track more to get officially engaged and plan the wedding on the next trip. I am so hoping it goes that direction. Thanks so much!

William
Quote from: 'Martin' pid='29297' dateline='1264441405'

I am the same as Neil.  On my first trip, I registered with the police when I stayed at my in-laws place.  Then we went to Changsha to her brothers place, i did not bother registering.  And on my second trip, I did not register when I stayed at the in-laws.

Registering with the police is an easy process though.  You just need your address where you are staying, and your passport.

Good information much appreciated, thanks.

William
« Last Edit: January 25, 2010, 04:34:59 pm by falcon »

Offline Voiceroveip

• Frank for you
« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2010, 04:41:40 pm »
William I see that you're in good hands! Welcome to the forum!
Go deep or don't go

Offline falcon

« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2010, 07:43:05 pm »
Quote from: 'Voiceroveip' pid='29312' dateline='1264455700'

William I see that you're in good hands! Welcome to the forum!

Thanks Frank. Where in France?

William

Offline RegnisTheGreat

• www.secretasianman.ca
    • http://www.secretasianman.ca
« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2010, 08:58:06 pm »
I will say this. I have been to China many times. Every-time I went I stayed with a relative and I just put down their name on the border/customs. I have never registered with the PSB or anything. I have not had any issues either.