Author Topic: 2nd China Trip. Beijing, Is this the right Path?  (Read 9595 times)

Offline zook144

RE: 2nd China Trip. Beijing, Is this the right Path?
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2010, 11:17:52 pm »
Guys,
Again thanks for input. Now another question.  I don't know if this has been addressed on here or not.  And i figure I know what some of you will say.  but.....if things go right, what about a pre-nup?   I know some will think I'm a cheap bastard for even thinking about this.  but this is real life, and sometimes things are bright in the beginning and then all hell breaks loose in a marriage.   I am at the point, i can retire in a short few years, and I really don't want to have to work until I'm 80 (or dead) because of a divorce and alimony.  I know, if you love someone, you should want to share with them. No problem with that. but if (heaven forbid) it doesn't work in the long run.  What then?   So again...anybody dealt with this and if so, how?  By the way, i would wonder about this, if i married someone from the US, also.
Don
« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 11:18:43 pm by zook144 »
The Journey Is The Destination

ttwjr32

« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2010, 11:42:59 pm »
having gone thru this with a chinese lady all that you have aquired prior to marriage
is yours. she would have to be a citizen to get any of your pension rights and you would
have to be together many years for that. after the divorce your financial obligations are over
if she is not a citizen.  i know this because i divorced one who wanted a green card which i
never finished for her. she is still in calif and on assistance and works???

Offline zook144

« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2010, 11:47:54 pm »
Thanks Ted,
Hope it never comes to that, but one never knows.
Don

Vince G

« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2010, 12:08:56 am »
Don, do a search for Gold digger, this was posted a short time ago.

Offline maxx

« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2010, 12:19:05 am »
Chong is the expert on Prenups.He has reserched all the ins and outs.

Offline Willy The Londoner

• Beyond The Dream in China
  • Board Moderator
  • Hair today - gone tomorrow!!
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2010, 05:40:26 am »
No pre-nup for me. Anyway that is too late now - do they have post-nups???   Is she leaves me then I will go for every one of the 683 rmb she has sorted away!!!:icon_cheesygrin:

Willy
Willy The Lpndoner

Now in my 12th year living here,

Offline zook144

« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2010, 05:55:30 am »
Quote from: 'Vince G' pid='32017' dateline='1266469736'

Don, do a search for Gold digger, this was posted a short time ago.

Thanks, Vince.    I must have missed or forgot about that one. I will look it up.
Don

Offline zook144

« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2010, 04:48:35 pm »
Well, the time is getting closer. Only 10 days until lift off.:icon_biggrin:    And a few more questions have cropped up. First off, for those of you that have flown into Beijing.....my lady keeps asking what chamber I will be arriving at. I am assuming she means what terminal. I will be flying in on United from Tokyo and as near as I can make out, they always arrive at Terminal 3. Anyone have any info on this. I called the airline and they said this too, but they have been wrong before. So thought I would ask the Brothers for any info. And anything else I should know about the airport? Are there 2 airports in Beijing?   PEk and BCIA?  Or are they the same? I thought they were different, but after reading about them on internet, they sound like the same one.  I booked into PEK.
I will be spending the last 3 or 4 days of my trip in Beijing checking out the sites. Plan on seeing the Great Wall, Forbidden City, maybe the square( I can't spell it so i won't even try:huh:). And there is supposed to be a Harley Davidson Dealer somewhere in Beijing. Am going to try to find that also.  I'm sure this has been brought up 100 times on here, but anything else we should check out.  Not sure about hotels yet. My lady is supposed to be taking care of that. And doesn't seem to be in any hurry.  This i am not used to. I'm used to getting these things taken care of well in advance. But I decided to go with the flow here and see what happens.
And lately she has taken quite an interest in the retirement situation. Not only mine, but hers. The way i understand it, men can retire at 55 and women at 45 in China. She only has about 5 or 6 years before she can retire. And I could retire in about 5 years if I decide to. Anyway, she says if she quits her job she would lose all that. Which is true. So, I am not sure how things will turn out. She obviously, has been thinking a lot about this.  Once again, this trip, just going with the flow. And the 24 hour rule applies to absolutely everything I do not understand.
Oh, almost forgot! If anyone happens to be in Beijing March 12 thru the 14th and would like to meet up, I will try to make arrangements.  Or Handan, the week before. Didn't figure anyone would be there..haha.
Don

brett

« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2010, 05:31:33 pm »
Terminal 3 is likely - it's the modern Norman Foster creation I think and it's all very easy to find your way around. I only transferred at Beijing though, I never went into the city. The airport is PEK but I suspect they may be changing the code to something else.

From what my lady has told me, Chinese retire early so younger people can get jobs and also so grandparents can look after children. Some jobs come with pensions but in Western terms they're likely to be peanuts. Some jobs do have useful medical insurance cover in retirement though.

Print out your hotel name in Chinese characters and show it to the taxi driver. Beware of unofficial taxis at airports! Good luck!

ttwjr32

« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2010, 06:29:32 pm »
Zook   if she does quit early she does lose her retirement and medical if she has that
         but if she goes to the USA and becomes a citizen she loses it anyway as China
         doesnt recognize dual citizenship

David5o

« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2010, 07:38:31 pm »
Zook,

You can always go for a fiancee visa, and get married in the States. Don't have the marriage recorded in anyway in China or the Chinese embassy, or her pension rights will be lost immediately!!

This is why a marriage between Lucy and myself will not ever be made known by anything that's Official in China or anywhere else that's linked to the Chinese authorities. When she retires, then her government pension monies will be deposited in her nominated bank account in China, and can be drawn out during our future visits...lol!!

As far as we are concerned this is legalised theft, she has worked all her life for that pension, ...it's her right as a Chinese citizen. Why should she lose that State pension just because she marries a foreign national!! ....

David....
« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 02:13:36 pm by David5o »

Offline JimB

• http://www.jandyenterprises.com
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2010, 02:01:41 am »
David,  Lucy still works in China?  I thought that is what I read a while ago.  She comes down for visits?  I didnt think that you were married.  that gos to show how my memory is.  Lol.
Hell, i dont blame you one bit.  She deserves it. that is her safety net.
Maxx's 24 hour rule, learn it, live it.

David5o

« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2010, 10:04:38 am »
Jim,

No, ...she doesn't work in China, but does work for Chinese companies here in Cyprus, she runs part of their European sales so she travels around central and Eastern Europe, and returns to China around 3 times a year with her work.

Now i didn't say if i was or weren't married now, did I !!...lol!!! The thing is Jim, ...no-one knows who monitors these Forums, so best to say nothing along those lines....

There are several ways around Zooks dilemma, like getting married in a country that Chinese citizens are free to travel too easily, then register that marriage with the American embassy in that country. It's not, or shouldn't be any different then to start your spouse visa application from China as usual. Might have to grease a few palms in the process but nothing insurmountable that i can see... lol!!

David.....
« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 02:11:13 pm by David5o »

Offline maxx

« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2010, 07:09:43 pm »
I guess I'm missing the point you guys are trying to make.A Chinese women can live in the United States on a green card for her whole life.There is no law at this time that says that any foriegn national has to apply for U.S. citizenship.

The reason most foriegn nationals apply for U.S. Citizenship.Is so that they can vote.And be eligible for government grants and loans.And have access to government jobs.

I don't know the ins and outs of Chinese law.But I'm thinking that the U.S government.Does not publish lists of Chinese nationals who have gotten married in the United states.Privacy laws being what they are in the states.

I'm also thinking that the lady isn't posting a notice at her work that she is moving to America and getting married.So I don't know why you guys.Would think.This would mess up the ladies retirement.As long as there smart about it it shouldn't be a problem.

When you go threw the K visa process in the states.With a fiancee visa you have 90 days to adjust the ladies status.If you don't she is going to be deported and shipped back to China.When you adjust the ladies status.Part of the paperwork is a form called permission to travel.I think it cost me a 100.00 U.S. it took 2 weeks to arrive.

The permission to travel form is really unnecessary.If I had waited another 2 weeks.Till we received the temporary green card.I could of saved myself a 100.00.With the temporary green card.The only restriction is that the woman can't break the law.And she has to live in the states.I think it was 6 weeks out of the year.(Need to Check that statement) temporary green card is valid for 2 years.

After 2 years the temporary green card expires.Then you just apply for the permanent green card which is good for 10 years.The only stipulation on the permanent green card.Don't break the law.(robbery murder rape).Small offenses they don't care about.The lady is free to travel and live outside the states for as long as she wants to.When the lady reenters the U.S. with a permanent green card.Border patrol can't even mess with them.Any more then they do the average citizen.

On the marriage visa Nik or Arnold would be the guys to talk to.I think they have 2 years to adjust there wives status.And they get the permanent green card right off the start.I'm thinking there is no temporary green card.

David5o

« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2010, 07:38:43 pm »
Maxx,

I don't think anyone says there is a problem with what your talking about here. The only problem as far as the ladies are concerned, is that they can very easily lose there retirement pension rights if the Chinese authorities ever find out about their marriage to a foreign national....

As you say, once married in the US or anywhere else come to that, if your ''Smart'' they will never find out. The hardest part, is getting the fiancee visa to the US and her not having her family around her when she gets married in the US.....

This shouldn't be much of a concern for the younger Chinese women, really only affects those ladies that are nearing there retirement age, say 45 to 50. But as i've said before, ALL Chinese citizens are entitled to the national pension, it shouldn't be dependant on who you marry or where you choose to live after retirement.

David......
« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 07:57:02 pm by David5o »