Author Topic: 2nd China Trip. Beijing, Is this the right Path?  (Read 9601 times)

Offline maxx

RE: 2nd China Trip. Beijing, Is this the right Path?
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2010, 08:01:40 pm »
David yes I can see now what your saying.They could loose there retirments if the Chinese goverment found out that they married a foriegnor

What they can do is the same thing me and my wife did.We had a wedding party in China.Everybody gets dressed up you have the dinner take the pictures invite the relatives.Everything is the same.You just don't have the red books.No red books in China means no marraige.It was just a party

When the lady does receive her visa and comes to the states.Then you can have another wedding party.Only this time have the marriage license.

The first party cost me 2,500 U.S. dollers.The second party we had in the States cost me maybe a 100.00 dollars.The wedding in the states was just me and my wife and a couple of my friends.To stand in as wittnesses.

David5o

« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2010, 08:10:36 pm »
Maxx,

Yes, ...exactly!! Or you could wait till you marry in the States, have a wedding there for your family, then a visit back to China and have a wedding reception there, along the lines you stated. Either way, all are catered for..haha!!  And the Chinese authorities are none the wiser!!  lol!!

When you got married this way, was it for the same reason, or just how it worked out for you, and just realised the benifits after ??  haha!!!

David....

Offline maxx

« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2010, 08:29:27 pm »
My wife really wanted to have the wedding party with her family and friends in China.I knew I was going to have to do this again in the States.But I did already know how much it was going to cost me in the states.So I wasn't to worried.

The real problems popped up when my mom.Wanted to have a Big wedding in the states.After the party in China. five trips back and forth to China.All the government paperwork and fees and lawyers fees.I was really broke.I finally told my mom if she wanted that Kind of wedding she was going to have to pay for it.For some strange reason after I told my mom that.The big wedding party in the states Idea.Kind of died a real quick death.

I think my step father put a stop to it.He is so tight with money he sqeeks when he walks

Offline zook144

« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2010, 11:15:03 am »
Finally heard from my lady this morning. Got the hotel booked for the night I land in Beijing. Looks like she went very conservative. Thats ok, I guess. Only be there for one night only anyway, then head for Handan the next day. Hotel is near the train station. And that is where we need to be on Sunday Morning.  Thanks for your ideas on the retirement situation. Gives me some suggestions to talk to her about. As she is not quite ready to retire, the hard part would be being apart for another few years. Married or not.
Don
The Journey Is The Destination

David5o

« Reply #34 on: February 25, 2010, 12:18:57 pm »
Don,

How old is your future wife right now??  ...Now I know that can be a difficult question to answer, seeing as they can have around 3 birthdays, .....and more if they really want to go to town!!!  lol!!!

David.......

Offline metooap

« Reply #35 on: February 25, 2010, 02:32:03 pm »
Quote from: 'maxx' pid='32505' dateline='1267059700'

David yes I can see now what your saying.They could loose there retirments if the Chinese goverment found out that they married a foriegnor

What they can do is the same thing me and my wife did.We had a wedding party in China.Everybody gets dressed up you have the dinner take the pictures invite the relatives.Everything is the same.You just don't have the red books.No red books in China means no marraige.It was just a party

When the lady does receive her visa and comes to the states.Then you can have another wedding party.Only this time have the marriage license.

Maxx,

Tell me more. Right now my fiancée' and I are going through the pictures and the wedding preparation process for this May. I was not aware and she might not be aware of the loss of a National pension.

If you did not complete your marriage in China, how did you handle the VISA? Also what if the wife has a child, how would this play out under your approach. Thanks for the input.
zook144

I am very familiar with Handan – hotels, restaurants, markets, you name it. Just returned from 14 days there for the New Year on Tuesday night (2/23/2010).

I’ve been there five times in the past 10 months or so. My fiancée and her family live there. Also I have a business there. I am returning in May to get married. So if you need to know anything, I can certainly share some of my thoughts with you. So let me know.

Whether you are planning on taking the fast of regular train to Handan, it is a pretty smooth ride. Also right about now, the flow of people will certainly not be as it was 14 or 15 days ago.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 02:39:19 pm by metooap »

Offline zook144

« Reply #36 on: February 25, 2010, 03:04:25 pm »
Quote from: 'David5o' pid='32576' dateline='1267118337'

Don,

How old is your future wife right now??  ...Now I know that can be a difficult question to answer, seeing as they can have around 3 birthdays, .....and more if they really want to go to town!!!  lol!!!

David.......

David....she is 39 now, 40 in October.  And I figure that whatever type visa we would go for would take about a year. So 41 when that would go through. By then, only about 4 years before the retirement thing. A shame to give up whatever she would get for that length of time. I know I would probably not do it. Matter of fact, I am sure of it. I told her it was a decision she would have to make. After thinking about a little bit, she said "I probably would not wait".  But, I'm the type of guy that would feel guilty about taking that away from her no matter how much or little  it was.  Like I said earlier, its all kinda "cart before the horse". This will be our first meeting. I am also a "wait and see" type of person. Never promise anything until you are sure. So a lot to play out yet. But as all these questions come up, I am trying my best to look at both sides and do the right thing. I would expect no less.  I do sort of like the idea of going to another country that she could go to and marry. That sounds like a doable thing. I'll have to run that by her also. Her family is small, but she does have like a thousand friends it seems. ha  So, not sure how she feels about a big wingding in China.

Quote from: 'metooap' pid='32577' dateline='1267126323'

zook144

I am very familiar with Handan – hotels, restaurants, markets, you name it. Just returned from 14 days there for the New Year on Tuesday night (2/23/2010).

I’ve been there five times in the past 10 months or so. My fiancée and her family live there. Also I have a business there. I am returning in May to get married. So if you need to know anything, I can certainly share some of my thoughts with you. So let me know.

Whether you are planning on taking the fast of regular train to Handan, it is a pretty smooth ride. Also right about now, the flow of people will certainly not be as it was 14 or 15 days ago.

Hey thanks, Metooap
I would appreciate any insights you can give me about Handan. I am trying to leave hotels up to her. She says I do not need reservations in Handan. I guess they are not that busy. haha  She said the bullet train from Beijing to Handan and it took about 4 1/2 hours. Plan on being in Handan about 4 or 5 days and then back to Beijing for the last 2 or 3. Anything I should not miss out on in Handan? If you have any info, you can pm me or write it on here. I appreciate anything you can tell me.
Oh, what type of business do you have there? (if you don't mind my asking)
Don

David5o

« Reply #37 on: February 25, 2010, 03:14:10 pm »
metooap,

I'm pretty sure that your fiancee will know all about the consequences for her , marrying a foreign national. She will lose all pension rights and any medical security and a few more things besides.
If she then becomes a citizen of a foreign country, she will actually need a visa like any other foreign national to enter her own country, as China does not recognise duel nationality!!!

I think you've left it a little late to go down this route now, as your planning your marriage for this May. You would first need to apply for a ''fiancee visa'' for your country, before you can do anything else and that takes time....

Once married in the states, any children your wife may already have, would come under the general rules relating to eligibility, ....as they would you marrying anywhere else , like China!!

If you go this route for arguments sake, you wife will remain in the eyes of the Chinese authorities as ''unmarried'', so if you intend living in China for any length of time, you won't be able to use your wife as a means of getting your residency permit/visa....  So really only works for those couples that are not intending to live/retire in China. Unless you have another means of getting your residency permit/visa of course.... Like a Business, ...lol!!!

David.....

Don, (Zook)

As you say, It's always best to be aware of everything your getting yourself involved with and in.
So yes, let's see how everything goes with your first meeting, and take things from there.

Yes your right, ...the National Pension it isn't much, but as you say, it is a safety net of sorts and more importantly it is her right!! She will have worked long and hard all her life, for that little bit of monthly money. It's the principle of the thing in my way of thinking....

David....
« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 03:30:21 pm by David5o »

Offline metooap

« Reply #38 on: February 25, 2010, 03:44:46 pm »
Quote from: 'David5o' pid='32579' dateline='1267128850'

metooap,

I'm pretty sure that your fiancee will know all about the consequences for her , marrying a foreign national. She will lose all pension rights and any medical security and a few more things besides.
If she then becomes a citizen of a foreign country, she will actually need a visa like any other foreign national to enter her own country, as China does not recognise duel nationality!!!
David....

David

Thanks.

She probably does know about the consequences. But this is the first I heard of the losing retirement thing, etc. It is not a big deal, but I do need to discuss and make sure she knows this.

By the way, I do have a business - but I really have not looked at the ends and outs of the benefits in terms of VISA etc.  I guess I need to look at this too.
Quote from: 'zook144' pid='32578' dateline='1267128265'

Hey thanks, Metooap
I would appreciate any insights you can give me about Handan. I am trying to leave hotels up to her. Don

Don,

Right outside of Handan they hand make what is called China Black Pottery. I am in the high end art and investment business, so we have some of our product custom made there.

No normally you do not have to have reservations in Handan. But it depends upon where you are staying. The very best place there is the Handan Hotel – it is five stars and goes down from there. It is really up to you and your lady what you are comfortable with. I travel their a lot, so I get comped out quite a bit.

Handan is a small town. Though you certainly will be a novelty the people are very friendly. They will go out of their way to make sure that you are okay. Handan is certainly not your Beijing, but most anything you want to do you can. They a many restaurants with all sorts of food. The prices are great. If you need a list of some of the better places, let me know.

If you are arriving there late, and your lady lives in the city, leaving the train station you may have a short wait. Taxis first try to land their longest trip. It is no big deal though.

In Beijing, they do have different airports you want (PEK); the major airport. The main arrival and departure hub is at terminal 3. They have super sub system so you will not have any problems.

If this is your very first trip, I would suggest, stopping at the Money Exchange before departing the baggage area and getting a $50 or $100 or so in Yuan to take care of taxis etc., unless you have this already worked out with your lady. Unless you are staying the night in Beijing, you’ll need a taxi to either go to a hotel or train station. You will need to plan for 40 minutes to 1 hour to go from the airport to the Train station. This is not rush hour traffic. Rush hour – you will need to allow yourself a little more time.

The train ride either on the fast or slow train is very good. If you ever happen to get the slow train, takes about 2 more hours, you may want to get what is called a sleeper car. It will cost a few more Yuan. But the ride is worth it. Again, if you are on the fast train no problem.

In Handan, after the first trip, you probably will not be doing much site seeing, depending upon your situation, you will be spending quite a bit of time getting to know not only your lady but her family.
If you do the family thing, remember that is normally impolite not to eat all of your food and ask for more – especially if you are in a family setting. Also, normally you will be expected to drink your share as well.

A note of caution, the beer is good. But the general drink there is white wine – which is quite a bit different – about 53% proof different, than our traditional white wine - or any of our wine for that matter. The stuff will put you under, so do not get hood winked into going toe to toe with the Dad or brother, or even your lady. It will be – no contest, lights out.

Hope this helps. If you need more, or get stuck in any way, while there, I have people who are like family in many areas that can lend a hand.
Enjoy your trip.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 04:20:45 pm by metooap »

ttwjr32

« Reply #39 on: February 25, 2010, 05:48:57 pm »
metooap is correct trend lightly on some of the wine here as it
will turn the lights out:icon_cheesygrin: fairly quickly

David5o

« Reply #40 on: February 25, 2010, 06:32:30 pm »

Hahahaha, I'm not a drinker at the best of times so i'd be the first under the table, with the lights out...lol!! ...I'm not even sure you could realistically call that stuff ''wine'' anyway!! It's more like Saki to my undiscerning pallet, sure doesn't taste much like the wine i'm used to anyway ...lol!!

David......

ttwjr32

« Reply #41 on: February 25, 2010, 06:37:16 pm »
straight alcohol with a touch of flavoring haha

Offline zook144

« Reply #42 on: February 25, 2010, 07:17:42 pm »
HaHa    i am not much of a drinker anymore, so if this is what is expected of me, I might as well put a pillow and blanket under the table.  lol

Don

Offline metooap

« Reply #43 on: February 25, 2010, 08:45:48 pm »
zook144,

I am not much of a drinker either - so get a pillow!!!

ttwjr32

« Reply #44 on: February 26, 2010, 03:42:10 am »
pillows are cheap in china no need to bring with you:icon_cheesygrin: