Author Topic: Anybody from US coming to/transiting in Singapore soon?  (Read 1243 times)

Offline odysseus007

Anybody from US coming to/transiting in Singapore soon?
« on: March 05, 2010, 04:44:14 pm »
Hi guys,

I hope this is not too off topic, but if anybody is coming over from the good ol US of A to Singapore this month or next, please PM me. I need a very small favor, it won't cost you anything, in fact I would be happy to compensate you for the trouble. I just need somebody to bring over a fossil which I am going to buy from a US seller, but he requires that I have a shipping address in the US.

Thanks bros,
Larry
Men are great thinkers coz they have 2 heads (just don't think with the wrong one!) & women are great talkers coz they have 2...:icon_cheesygrin:

Offline David E

• David and Ming
  • Board Moderator
  • My favourite photo
RE: Anybody from US coming to/transiting in Singapore soon?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2010, 05:44:17 am »
I'm not planning to be in S'pore 'till mid Aprile...but i do have a BIG interest in fossils.

Saw some fantastic fossils for sale in Chengdu, but needed export permit and did not have time to get it.

Before my next visit, Ming will buy the fossils and be most of the way through the export permit before I arrive

BTW..what type of fossils are you in to ??  I have a lot of Cretaceous and Devonian stuff which are very common here. We can buy certain fossils without permits, but the more exotic (mini dinosaurs and amphibs ) will need permit

Cheers

David

Offline odysseus007

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2010, 06:05:38 am »
Quote from: 'David E' pid='33351' dateline='1267872257'

I'm not planning to be in S'pore 'till mid Aprile...but i do have a BIG interest in fossils.

Saw some fantastic fossils for sale in Chengdu, but needed export permit and did not have time to get it.

Before my next visit, Ming will buy the fossils and be most of the way through the export permit before I arrive

BTW..what type of fossils are you in to ??  I have a lot of Cretaceous and Devonian stuff which are very common here. We can buy certain fossils without permits, but the more exotic (mini dinosaurs and amphibs ) will need permit

Cheers

David

Hi David,

I like the big bad predators, but within budget of course. Cretaceous, Jurassic, Triassic, I'm not picky. I am trying to collect some of the species from BBC's Walking with Dinosaurs series. Hmm, but you're coming from down under right? This seller is adamant about only selling to US residents, what a tightass.  I usually don't buy China fossils coz they are mainly smaller critters, and illegal to boot. We do get smuggled hadrosaur eggs here, but I'm not into those. Tarbosaurus bits, that would be interesting. I know China has some wonderful stuff contemporary to the Burgess Shale, but I'm not really collecting those, could be a bargain for you if you know your stuff. If ever I collect Chinese fossils, it would be Cambrian explosion creatures. Invertebrates would be less regulated I presume? Do you have any of the Devonian armoured fish? Dunkleosteus? Hybodus? I once got verts of 5 different Cretaceous species of fish for a very low price.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2010, 06:11:43 am by odysseus007 »
Men are great thinkers coz they have 2 heads (just don't think with the wrong one!) & women are great talkers coz they have 2...:icon_cheesygrin:

David5o

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2010, 08:54:24 am »
odysseus007,

Maybe that American dealer is aware that the particular fossil that you want to purchase may also need a permit to export from the States. Could very well be the reason why he will only ship to an American address??

David....

Offline odysseus007

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2010, 09:23:05 am »
Quote from: 'David5o' pid='33361' dateline='1267883664'

odysseus007,

Maybe that American dealer is aware that the particular fossil that you want to purchase may also need a permit to export from the States. Could very well be the reason why he will only ship to an American address??

David....

I doubt it. It's nothing special. That was not the reason either, in our communication. It's not like I am buying Sue, the T-Rex, it's just a whale bone, of which many have been bought & sold. I offered him many ways out, like buying via a friend's address, a forwarder, etc. Nope, dang Yankee stubbornness. I don't think anybody els would be buying it either, other than me. I am just trying to complete a "set" of sorts, of no consequence to anybody else but me. Can you help me?

David5o

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2010, 09:36:34 am »
odysseus007,

Not from Cyprus i'm afraid!!!   haha!!!

David...

Offline odysseus007

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2010, 09:50:22 am »
Quote from: 'David5o' pid='33361' dateline='1267883664'

odysseus007,

David....

Haha, I believe they only require import permits for pretty China brides?? Even if he's selling his 60 year old mother as a rare fossil, no, George Dubya Bush would probably say it lightens the country's welfare obligations and trade deficit.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2010, 08:20:27 pm by odysseus007 »