Author Topic: Just blowing off steam  (Read 8514 times)

Offline dude

RE: Just blowing off steam
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2010, 11:29:19 pm »
Hello Terry,

Just read this and Chong is right! You need to take advantage of the tiny translation error or should I say huge one? Do what you can do to get direct contact...this way if there is a misunderstanding then you know who to blame! If your planning a trip to China anytime in the near future you will want direct contact before you go(you can read about many misfortunes here about people not doing this!) Good luck!!!

Offline Terryg

« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2010, 11:55:42 pm »
Well, right now I am just waiting for my replies. I sent a message to the agency and translator stating that I would like her personal information. I already have her postal address and I have asked her for her phone and e-mail. She says she doesn't have a computer at home. From what she has told me she uses a internet cafe. So now I just have to wait.
Oh and her agency is SZ Oriental love Consulting
« Last Edit: March 19, 2010, 11:58:29 pm by Terryg »
QQ 1413900069

ttwjr32

« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2010, 12:09:55 am »
well at least your taking the steps to obtaim them and you will
see it is for the better even with translation problems

rockycoon

« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2010, 04:47:29 am »
I say we pay Willy to go over there and EGG the translator....:icon_cheesygrin:

Sorry to here about your problem with the translator.  The best way is to e-mail directly and leave the agency's out of it.  If she don't speak or write english, then you need
to buy a translator machine and keep up with her.  If you have to wait a little for her to get to the computer cafe, it's better than not hearing from her at all and lousy translators, who
ruin your dreams.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2010, 04:52:12 am by rockycoon »

Offline Martin

• Board Moderator
« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2010, 05:28:30 am »
This is the same agency I met my wife through. I met the owner last year. Who is your translator?  I had no problems getting contact information.

Offline Willy The Londoner

• Beyond The Dream in China
  • Board Moderator
  • Hair today - gone tomorrow!!
« Reply #35 on: March 20, 2010, 07:23:50 am »
I find that not understanding something between myself and my wife is never any problem.  My problems only start when on the odd occasions she does understand exactly what I say!!!!

Willy
Willy The Lpndoner

Now in my 12th year living here,

Offline mustfocus

« Reply #36 on: March 20, 2010, 10:21:14 am »
Something that needs to be kept in mind...

In relationships like the ones we are pursuing, everyone here needs to remember one thing.  There will be misunderstandings, even for those who are fluent in english.  If something seems strange, stop and ask.  Remember what you think a word means isn't necessarily the same as what she thinks it means.  And the few seconds it takes to clarify something is worth more than the time it takes to patch up the relationship.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2010, 05:16:47 pm by mustfocus »
梦醒时分 - Meng Xing Shi Fen

Offline Terryg

« Reply #37 on: March 20, 2010, 12:54:55 pm »
Thanks for all the good advice.
Martin, the translators name is Sunny.  I have talked to her a little bit, I occasionally leave a small note for her at the end of my letters.  She seems to genuinely want to help.

Well Willy from what I have read on here, You shouldn't get into too many problems then as nobody here understands you. So you should be safe from the wife  :angel:

One thing I have noticed is that after the mistranslation is that the tone of the letters is different.  It seems like she has opened up about herself more and is happier. Before her letters would give information with a little bit of humor and now there is more humor in her letters. As an example. In my last letter I had told her she could consider this our first fight. I said it in humor and man if she was laughing as hard as her letter made it sound,I am surprised she could even type.  I also took some advice on asking her if she had told her family. She said that she was visiting her brother and she had told him. She said that he was happy for her, but had some concerns and he would like to have me come to his home for dinner. I take that as a good sign. But she has not told her mother, that is the one that worries me. I do not have to worry about a father as hers is deceased.

I do have other concerns but those are based more on not having met her face to face yet. The worst thing is I have to wait till next winter to go, I work road construction. I have mentioned this to her a few times. I have also told her that I will also be gone a lot but that I will try to send postcards from the places I have been and that I will write her every time I am home. Now that I finally got her to give me her phone number I can call her. Since I go to work about the time she gets home form work.
QQ 1413900069

David5o

« Reply #38 on: March 20, 2010, 01:38:41 pm »
Terryg,

WOW!! Next winter is a long way off, no chance of getting over there any earlier mate ??. I'd suggest you try and stay in contact with her as much as possible while your away working then.....

There has to be Internet cafe's near to wherever your working surely??  Even if you can get to one of them twice a week while your away, it would be something, and let her know your serious about her and your relationship...

You talk about phone calls, does she have some English that you can chat with?? If so, nothing to stop you getting one of these cheap call rate cards and call her once in a while while your away too.. Or even send text/sms messages to her!!

By the way, she may not have a computer at home, but she may have access to one at work, if she works in an office inviroment or such!!

What sort of age range is she in Terry, is she single (never been married) or divorced ??
I ask, because it helps with any advise that the Bros here can give you. There can be (and normally is) a BIG difference between the younger single ladies and the slightly older divorced Chinese ladies....

David
« Last Edit: March 20, 2010, 01:42:17 pm by David5o »

Offline Terryg

« Reply #39 on: March 20, 2010, 02:27:35 pm »
Quote from: 'David5o' pid='35116' dateline='1269106721'

Terryg,

WOW!! Next winter is a long way off, no chance of getting over there any earlier mate ??. I'd suggest you try and stay in contact with her as much as possible while your away working then.....

There has to be Internet cafe's near to wherever your working surely??  Even if you can get to one of them twice a week while your away, it would be something, and let her know your serious about her and your relationship...

You talk about phone calls, does she have some English that you can chat with?? If so, nothing to stop you getting one of these cheap call rate cards and call her once in a while while your away too.. Or even send text/sms messages to her!!

By the way, she may not have a computer at home, but she may have access to one at work, if she works in an office inviroment or such!!

What sort of age range is she in Terry, is she single (never been married) or divorced ??
I ask, because it helps with any advise that the Bros here can give you. There can be (and normally is) a BIG difference between the younger single ladies and the slightly older divorced Chinese ladies....

David

Sure you just want to know so you can steal her from me :icon_cheesygrin:

Well she is 35 yrs old, never been married, she works as an editor at a newspaper in Hong Kong,The Hong Kong Commercial Daily if I remember correctly. As to being in contact during the week, A lot of the towns I usually work in are small and my hours are usually a real mess. I start around 6 am and get done about 9 or 10 at night. I am a truck driver for a road const. company. She won't tell me how good her english is. So it is either better than mine or she can not speak it at all, I will find out when I call her. I am going to get her e-mail before I get back to work, that way when I do find a computer or buy a laptop and one of those cell deals.I can bother her constantly then.:angel: I am not worried about the phone as I have a tracphone and from what I read in the manual, I can call china with it. I will find out for sure when I call her. I know I have a long wait before I can see her, as I have said before, I have talked to her about it, she is fine with that, not happy but she understands that. I also told her that when I do get there I am planning on staying anywhere from 2 weeks to 2 months, depends on how much I get saved up over the summer. I would have gone this winter, but we did not start talking until end of Jan. begining of Feb. so even if I had a passport, I would still have had to wait for a visa. All I know is that if I could have gone now, I would not be sitting here pining away.:dodgy:
QQ 1413900069

David5o

« Reply #40 on: March 20, 2010, 04:01:06 pm »
Terryg,

Not at all, i'm more than happy with what i have now, besides she's far too young for me. I wouldn't know what to do with a 35 year old after a month or so!!  But i guess it would be a Fun month ...hahaha!!

Being on the road as a driver for that amount of hours wouldn't be allowed anywhere in the EU. Lorry drivers hours are very restricted for safety reasons here, as are there required break times....

Sounds like you have a lot of organising to do, ...lol!! I'd suggest the first thing to do, is get your passport sorted, and don't wait till the last minute before applying. We had one member here recently, that waited around 2 months or so before he had his passport in his hand....

So where do you stay when your away working, in lodgings, motels or temporary company accommodations?? ...none of them have internet connections??  If they do.... hurry  up and get that notebook/laptop ..haha!! You can even get a dongle to plug into your new laptop where you can get on line using the cell phone network....

By the way, if you are going to visit your lady in Hong Kong, you don't need a visa, it's a ''SAR'' state....

Catch you later Terry, the boss is calling ....lol!!!

David....
« Last Edit: March 20, 2010, 05:12:15 pm by David5o »

Offline Chong

« Reply #41 on: March 20, 2010, 08:05:53 pm »
Terry,

Working in Hong Kong ... your lady's English should be fine for basic communication especially if she works for a newspaper. She should have friends capable to teach her more English or she can hire a student majoring in English at university to teach her more English. This person can also translate your personal emails to her thus relying less on Chnlove EMFs.

You'll have a great time in Hong Kong. Many people speak English ... it's an official language there. The city is relatively more expensive than the nearby mainland cities [ i.e. Shenzhen ] in terms of accommodation & dining though.

Though you don't need a VISA to visit HK, you'll want one anyways to visit the mainland especially if her mother & brother lives there.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2010, 08:14:24 pm by Chong »

David5o

« Reply #42 on: March 20, 2010, 08:55:18 pm »
Chong,

It used to be a very simple and cheap exercise to get a visa from Hong Kong to the Mainland. Do you know if that's still the case?? If it is, he could apply for a tourist/visit visa during his stay in Hong Kong. As i remember, you applied one day, and went back the next, to pick it up!!

Everything may have changed now, but it may still be do-able!!!
Just thought, ..... that may of only applied to residents of HK with ID cards.....

David....
« Last Edit: March 20, 2010, 09:14:36 pm by David5o »

Offline Terryg

« Reply #43 on: March 20, 2010, 09:07:26 pm »
Well david5o In the US, drivers are held to a 12 drive time(at least most of the time) but with all the waiting I do to either load or unload it can get to be some late nights. especially if I have to go a long distance and if I can get home I would rather go there than spend the money on a motel for the night. I usually stay at a motel the cheaper the better, so you can imagine some of the holes I have stayed at. I have already picked up my birth cert. and plan on getting my passport this coming week. I plan on getting a laptop when I get to work. I prefer buying things when I have the big money coming in.

She doesn't live in Hong Kong itself, she actually lives in Shenzhen. From what I understand from looking it up on the web is that the Commercial Daily is a all chinese paper, but I figure with all the expats that work in business there that she would have to converse in english. So I am going to try and talk to her on the phone (if she ever turns it on). I have tried 3 times this afternoon(here)/morning(there) and it has been off. But then the way this week has gone, it could be a translator messing with me or something. :s

Sometimes I am almost tempted to find out who from here is in shenzhen and have them check her out for me:s
QQ 1413900069

Offline Chong

« Reply #44 on: March 20, 2010, 11:28:21 pm »
Yeah David, everything you mentioned is correct. My thought was for Terry to get his VISA while getting his passport in the USA. Now that we know that his lady lives in Shenzhen, he has no choice but to get it anyways.

Terry ... that's another benefit of this Forum. There are members that have their ladies living in Shenzhen. After finding a brother here that's willing to help, ask your lady if she minds meeting for lunch with the brother's lady. Then you can get a everyday life photo plus a feel of her personality.