Author Topic: Here I go again...  (Read 53419 times)

ttwjr32

Re: Here I go again...
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2010, 04:09:18 am »
Rob if it doesnt work out in the smaller cities then look at some of the bigger ones. in Guangzhou the teaching
jobs are just waiting for someone and the private tutoring is just immense.

Scottish_Rob

« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2010, 11:28:19 am »
The suspense was killing me waiting to see IF I was getting the visa... ???

Just got off the phone to 5starchinatravel, and have been informed that I will receive my visa tomorrow.

I got a double entry 60 day visa... ;D ;D

And now the journey can begin again...

Offline Bee964

• Found someone!
  • Dave & YanLing
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2010, 04:48:53 pm »
I hope you have a great time there Rob. Best of luck on your new journey! I hope that everything works out perfectly for you Rob.

Dave C ;)
Life is like a jar of Jalapenos-- What you eat today will burn your ass tomorrow!.

ttwjr32

« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2010, 08:29:44 pm »
well 60 days is a start and when here apply for a residence visa you might get a 6 moth one there
just go to the local PSB and ask about it

Scottish_Rob

« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2010, 03:59:02 pm »
As mentioned, I received the visa WHILE myself and Sophie were talking on webcam this morning...I showed her the visa and I saw something that I have not saw in a long time (now now guys... :o) the BIGGEST SMILE swept across her face...She was SO thrilled...It was  a pleasure for me - seing this grin... ;D ;D  She does smile of course she does, but this was different, it was as if it finally dawned on her that I could be trusted..you know :)

Knowing the visa was SECURED, I went on to sending many, many emails to different schools etc throughout the Shandong province..  I intend taking one week to acclamitise ansd spend the week with her before starting work..So I will be hoping that the offers of work come flooding in...

I am NOT counting how long I have before I go (26 days... ;D)

I know this time it will be different compared to my first trip, the one I intend marrying WILL be meeting me at the airport.  when I restarted this journey, I vowed to myself that I would look at EVERY little detail concerning culture differences and take them and the language difficulties (we will encounter) into consideration, when I finally chose the lady I wanted.  So far it has worked out :).  There has been times when we both wanted to give up, but because we are very good COMMUNICATORS we have worked through the problems..

As a sidenote (For the newbies)  COMMUNICATION IS THE KEY

This continued journey will NOT be as easy as I 'expected' the first one to be.  I got a culture shock the last time, this time however, I feel better prepared...

ttwjr32

« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2010, 05:39:11 pm »
   Rob,

here is a little bit of info for you because as you say you want to be better prepared this go around. if i was you i would have your lady
looking for private tutoring jobs while she awaits your arrival as most if not all teaching positions are filled and the contracts signed
about this time of the month as school will be starting at the time of your arrival. at that point especially in the smaller cities there will
be no openings. the larger cities fill vacancies created by people who didnt make it back or have changed there mind or even quit shortly
afterward for whatever reason. there is always a chance of an opening but a lot of the schools start interviewing for the next term during
the current one. food for thought

ttwjr32

« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2010, 06:57:35 am »
also when you get there have some cards made up 1 side english and the other side chinese that you are a teacher
pass them out everywere

Scottish_Rob

« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2010, 10:53:20 am »
Thanks for the heads up mate...

This is what I intend doing...I spoke with Sophie last night and she is going to help with getting work...;-)

Offline Hajo

« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2010, 01:05:12 pm »
Hi Rob,

This link could be a help, maybe. As far as I could see they have a lot of jobs. But I have never tried it. Hope it works for you.

http://jobs.echinacities.com/
爱你的人如果没有按你所希望的方式来爱你,那并不代表他们没有全心全意地爱你。
Just because someone doesn't love you the way you want them to, doesn't mean they don't love you with all they have.

ttwjr32

« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2010, 09:31:21 pm »
i would stick to the internet apps because the job fairs are killers here

Offline Willy The Londoner

• Beyond The Dream in China
  • Board Moderator
  • Hair today - gone tomorrow!!
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2010, 10:12:11 pm »
i would stick to the internet apps because the job fairs are killers here

Cmon be fair Ted.

You know this crowd was because word got out that I was in Town!!!!!!

Rob make sure you do as Ted says.  Soon as you get there then start circulating infomation about your private tutoring.  Take on private students then if you get a school job you can drop them or deal with them in your spare time.   

You know the problems you had last time so do not rely on schools.

Willy

Willy The Lpndoner

Now in my 12th year living here,

Offline Bee964

• Found someone!
  • Dave & YanLing
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2010, 10:46:19 pm »
Rob,

Best of luck on your job search. Follow Teds advise about the cards. Start letting everybody in your area know that you are in town and ready to teach. And about the accent, just tell them it is everybody else that has the accent! Your english is perfectly fine! Hehehe...  ;)

Willy,

That is quite a crowd you have there. Why were they all looking for you?  :o

Ted,

Where was that job fair? I guess that one would not drink several coffees or teas and eat a couple bran muffins before going to one of those! Hahahaha... :D

Dave C
Life is like a jar of Jalapenos-- What you eat today will burn your ass tomorrow!.

ttwjr32

« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2010, 02:10:21 am »
it was for 100 positions in Bejing at a company

Paul Todd

« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2010, 04:19:39 am »
One thing that working for a school will get you is a "Z"or work visa. At the end of the day doing private tutoring on an L visa is illegal and leaves you open to being shaken down by the local police or at worst deportation,handing out cards with your name on might not be the brightest thing to do .Having a lot of students coming to your door is a bit of a give away too, so if you go down this route teach at the students homes and not your own. All it take is a neighbour with a chip on their shoulder to call the PSB and you've got big trouble. Get a job at a school and then by all means hand out cards if you haven't got enough private work already.

Scottish_Rob

« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2010, 10:43:10 am »
I remember the  14 day run up to going last year..I had no idea of what what I was going to see or do, I had that disappointment of not having anyone to meet...(except the agency boss)...

This time it's different, a whole new ball game.  It's a different type of feeling!!!    The nerves are starting to jangle hehe   This time I know for sure that I'll be met.  The case is packed, (haha has been for ages), everything is sorted with the house, not had any replies about work though.  On saying that, the first week will be spent getting to know my way about Zhucheng, and also taken up with Sophie and Peter (Son).

Am I counting down the days and hours, you bet I am.  If it had not been for a certain member of this brotherhood, who wants to remain anonymous, I would not be going... So you know who you are, thank you from the bottom of my heart.

I can now relate to other members feeling about going to meet their loved ones... :D