Author Topic: Chengdu re-visited  (Read 19279 times)

Offline David E

• David and Ming
  • Board Moderator
  • My favourite photo
Chengdu re-visited
« on: October 14, 2010, 12:10:19 am »
Again I wait for 10.30 pm when I treck off to the Airport for my 5th visit to Chengdu and my Princess.

This trip we have some important things to do (no, get your minds out of the gutter !!)...it is her Mum's Birthday on 17th October and Ming's Birthday on 19th October...so a serious amount of heavy eating and drinking is coming up the slope... :-\ :-\

Of interest this time too is the need for us to finish all the paper blitz for her visa...WOW, that will be some job. I have a bunch of documents from my Lawyer that is about 2 inches thick...luckily, 80 % of the questions only want a "Yes" or "No " answer...I can just about manage that with minor stress.

Due to the micro minds of the "Public" Servants who designed the paper monster, they have thrown Ming into total confusion.

You all know how sensitive these women are to spending money unneccesarily.....so she reads up about all her documents that must be first...notarised and second...translated to English.

The process is designed around taking a photo copy of the original ( they dont want originals sent with the application) and taking them both to an Official Public Notary for the Stamp.
The notorised copy must then be taken to a Translator who is certified by the Aus Government for translation to English.

I told her that we should try to get all this done in China becauase translation costs in Aus are astronomical compared to China.

The photo copy will be free...I'll get them done at the Hotel.

The Notary stamp in China will cost 100 RMB per document and the Translation will cost about 200 RMB per document.......about 5% of the price in Aus.

So....my dear Lady, with economy and efficiency in mind, works out that if she can find a Public Notary in Chengdu, who is also a registered Translator, approved by the Aus Government, she can save 100 RMB per document. !!!!...get both jobs done at the one place.

She has spent 3 days trying to find such a rarity...and is now in  a panic because she cant !!!

There seems to be plenty of Notaries and plenty of approved Translators...but not a combined one !!!

I tell her again and again and again that for her to get so stressed to save 100 RMB (which equals a little over $10 ) is crazy and I want her to stop !!

But you know how they think and although it frustrates the hell out of me...I just let her get on with it !!

Gotta love'em dont you.

I will try to report from Chengdu...after I get free of being buried in hip-bones and dumplings  :P :P

David

Arnold

Re: Chengdu re-visited
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2010, 12:57:54 am »
Again , enjoy all that your Ming and China has to offer . Get that extra paperweight out of your backpack soon as possible and have a splended time David .

Offline RobertBfrom aust

• Sujuan [Yo ] is my tai tai
  • Robert and Sujuan [Yo ] at home .
    • bopads.info
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2010, 01:31:25 am »
Have a great safe trip David , as you will come back kilo's heavier ha ha , regards Sujuan and Robert .
Now it is early to bed and late to rise .
My QQ is   1994376895
For electronics and books etc , check out , www.bopads.info

Offline Peter Arnold

• Milestogo
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2010, 02:15:38 am »
I too wish you a safe and successful visit. Hope it goes well for you. I have valued all of your input on this site and your personal support.
 Have a great time with your princess and her family,
Peter
It is never too late to be what you might have been

ttwjr32

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2010, 04:51:26 am »
 David,

Have a safe trip and enjoy your time there. I hope that soon the two of you will be able
to get together after you get thru all the immigration stuff.

best wishes

Ted

Offline shaun

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2010, 05:14:56 am »
Have a good time David.

Fun fun fun, gotta love that paperwork.    Eat a dumpling or 2 for me.  ;D

Offline David E

• David and Ming
  • Board Moderator
  • My favourite photo
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2010, 05:26:44 am »
Haha Mike

For Ming...failure is not an option. !!!

She will pursue this objective with determination, persistence and sheer bloody mindedness...no way will she let go of an unnecessary 100 RMb !!!...and in that she is no different to any Chinese wife. I already know the look of triumph on her face when she tells me that finally she found the right Company to do it all...and saved some money !!...and I will need to look VERY impressed and make many nice noises about her skill and dedication  ;D ;D ;D...although quite what we will do with all the money she saved, I dont know...probably buy another plate of dumplings !!!

I darent tell her that I splurged on Business Class for my flight...probably lead to the loss of precious parts of my anatomy.... :o :o

But its all good stuff...I wouldnt want it any other way

Thanks all for your good wishes...appreciated very much

Cheers...David

Offline seagull

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2010, 05:27:58 am »
I'll have to echo all these other posts and say best wishes. I always enjoy reading your posts in particular because you are a fellow Perth person.

Offline Martin

• Board Moderator
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2010, 08:12:57 am »
Have a fantastic trip David!  Now that she has saved you all those RMB, spending it on business class seating seems like a good reward to me.

Scottish_Rob

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2010, 09:16:54 am »
I too wish you a safe and successful visit.  All the best to youi bot5h mate... :D :D

Offline Bee964

• Found someone!
  • Dave & YanLing
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2010, 10:06:35 am »
David,

Safe trip and good luck! Protect those precious parts of your anatomy! ;)

Dave C
Life is like a jar of Jalapenos-- What you eat today will burn your ass tomorrow!.

Offline JamesM.Roberts

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2010, 02:17:06 am »
Have a safe and Happy trip David!!  ;D remember to put off the drinking until AFTER you do the paperwork!!! You know those pubic servants (yes I know I misspelled that ;)) won't accept getting 4 extra copies of that paper while missing those 3 papers etc etc . Hope you and Ming still have a great time!!
Anyone can pick up an apple off the ground, but the sweeter ones take a little work to get to!!

Offline Irishman

• Muireadach and Sunny
    • http://www.chinaromance.net
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2010, 05:05:18 am »
Have a wonderful trip David, looking forward to reading the updates!
Become the change you want today, or all your tomorrows will be like yesterday.

Offline David E

• David and Ming
  • Board Moderator
  • My favourite photo
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2010, 08:26:44 am »
OK Guys

Having got the Haggis Basher back to the real World, I can get on with my visit  ;D

Been here 2 days and had 4 giant family meals !!.....eating sure is the National pastime.

But of course, the best part is to be with my Princess again....words cant describe that.

She's just gone off to the Hotel Excercise Centre for a swim...I pleaded exhaustion and excused myself  :P :P

During all these family dinners, I believe I have had a profound learning about some mysteries of the Chinese World !!

I think it should be known as the "Sunflower Seed Experience"....................................

Those who have been here before, know that every meal has before, during and after, a great bowl of sunflower seeds that everybody
attacks with gusto !!

They can strip a sunflower seed in 1.37 seconds (exactly) and every seed has a plump, edible kernal inside,

So...as I am now officially (according to my LP) "half Chengdu Man" I decided to join the sunflower seed club...when in Rome, you know !!

Would you believe there are some absolute rules for sunflower seeds vs Western Men....

1) Western Man (WM) takes 3 minutes to struggle to open 1 sunflower seed without causing total destruction of said seed.
2) 1 seed in every 10 contains a kernal..as opposed to EVERY seed that a Chinese person opens.
3) Having picked through 10 seeds to finally get to the prize....it flips out and drops to the floor !!

I think I will apply for a Nobel Prize for this....its amazing science  ;D

Other than that...I am being completely spoiled and loving every minute.

Brother-in-law and several cousins took me fishing yesterday.......thought they would show their Lao Wei how its done...guess who
caught most of the fish.........and the biggest ones too !!!!

Post more when I am allowed.....

David

Offline Irishman

• Muireadach and Sunny
    • http://www.chinaromance.net
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2010, 07:30:40 pm »
Haha, David, I know exactly what you mean, its one of those mysteries lao wai don't understand how to do and everyone, even the kids 2 years old there can do with one hand and holding a conversation at the same time!
You account brought a happy memory smile back to my face, thank you.
Become the change you want today, or all your tomorrows will be like yesterday.