Author Topic: Chnlove...a hoax or real?  (Read 12662 times)

Offline China Shark

RE: Chnlove...a hoax or real?
« Reply #45 on: May 28, 2009, 08:07:44 am »
Agarn it is the way of the world. When I was in Shanghai in 93-94 anf Japan there was Xmas stuff everywhere. It boils dlwn to pure capitalism, if there is money to be made by a gimmick go for it. I kind of like it because it reminds me of the states.
China Shark Mike
Living life the way it should be. Following the path less traveled!!!!!!!!!

Offline Irishman

• Muireadach and Sunny
    • http://www.chinaromance.net
« Reply #46 on: May 28, 2009, 01:43:08 pm »
I'm psyched already about the Chinese new year festivals. I remember reading in a Chinese English language paper that last time several buildings were burned down as a result of foreigners setting off fireworks!
It seems to me that its like Armageddon there during these celebrations, of course with a lovely Chinese lady hugging me tight whilst the fireworks go off I can think of nothing better to do over the holiday season so that is where I will be :)
Become the change you want today, or all your tomorrows will be like yesterday.

Chet Sams

« Reply #47 on: May 28, 2009, 02:31:12 pm »
What everyone gonna be over there for xmas and new years. Hehehe.

Spruik

« Reply #48 on: May 28, 2009, 06:44:57 pm »
Quote from: 'Vince G' pid='3969' dateline='1243430592'

I am not saying this is posted here.
:@
I think I have reached a point where I am tired of hearing the word scam. I'm also finding that I'm not the only one at this point. I have seen and read in other forums what some say is a scam?

Then the old popular, the men have lied and made up many things. Like they are six foot and work out, and 35 years old? When they meet the woman is saying the same as some men? "Who are you?"

Again I am not saying it is someone that posted here.

Similar looking admirer letters to different guys is not a scam either. And if the lady tells the guy that she did not write it, she may well be correct - the agency wrote it, but was requested by the lady. No reason why an agency should not use a standard format, modified depending on the guy's profile.

And... since it is not exactly Asian/Chinese style for girls to approach guys initially (generally), should we discount the possibility that a lady simply prefers not to admit she initiated the first contact?

Especially if she is already communicating to someone. She is not bound to just one guy, certainly not in the early stages. She may be well aware of the possibility of disappointment on meeting (if he turns up, and makes a respectable impression) and doesn't want to waste her time.

This post is in part a copy & paste (from another post here by me) - doesn't mean it's a scam.

I now firmly believe I have one such example.

Toon

Paul Todd

« Reply #49 on: May 28, 2009, 07:10:43 pm »
We have to remember who were talking too here.
In the West, lying is the sign of a bad upbringing or bad character. In China, telling a lie is a blurry and unclear concept. Mothers don't get upset at children for telling a lie. There is no clear concept about lying. Seldom will you hear someone say "you're lying". There is no cultural value attached to this expression within the linguistic makeup of the culture. There is no word for "liar" in Chinese, no heckling of children who tell a lie in front of peers - liar liar pants on fire; common phrase used to instill the shame of lying into children in our culture.

Lying is a frequent and acceptable activity within Chinese society. To a certain extent, everyone lies, and most people know that the other person is lying. Why do they accept it? It is acceptable to lie in Chinese society. It is not a sign of a bad up-bringing or poor character; what is important is the outcome -face. Face is an important ideal in Chinese society. Individuals need face and a nation needs face. An individual needs face in front of friends and acquaintances and a nation needs face in front its citizens and the world.

This value system is, in many ways, exactly opposite from our own. But let's keep in mind that it is a real and thriving value system throughout China and possibly many other countries in the world that don't fall into the standard European culture-set.

Possibly we will be able to understand the concept of lying in Chinese society by the expression "a white lie". A white lie is told to save someone from what is perceived as a bad or unfair outcome. The idea of lying in China is much the same. Being as China has a different moral up-bringing from what is common in the West, lying has become a means to an end. Lies are told on a constant basis and within their society no one would question what is being said. It is understood that the "lie" is for a reason of perceived good. No one is judged as being of poor character; rather it is viewed as an opportunity to -save face. To question this "save face mechanism" would be seen as a sign of poor character. The individual questioning it would be viewed as someone to be avoided. However, when these "lies" are exposed and the person is seen as having purposefully told a lie they will lose all credibility and worse yet -lose face. This seldom happens in Chinese society because people will opt to let something 'slip' in the best interest of not creating waves -not purposefully causing someone a loss of face. But when waves are created, most Chinese will not comprehend the reason behind causing the person to lose face. Most people will feel that it would have been best just left alone. In the end, the person who caused the loss of face will be viewed as a person of weaker character.

China is coming from a vastly different social value system than the rest of the world and it will take generations for us to really come to understand one another.

Just a thought........

Martin

« Reply #50 on: May 28, 2009, 07:59:30 pm »
China is coming from a vastly different social value system than the rest of the world and it will take generations for us to really come to understand one another.

Kind of like trying to understand a woman...never gonna happen!

Vince G

« Reply #51 on: May 28, 2009, 09:51:15 pm »
It was not the concept of lying. It is the intention of being lied to. Forming a common particular point of when the scheme actually begins, if it does? Dissociating the first one or two admirer letters from the actual forged responses. If the letters have surpassed three plus and you do not see a personality emerge? Then it should be looked into.

Offline China Shark

« Reply #52 on: May 28, 2009, 10:09:46 pm »
Paul I agree with some of what you are saying yet have to play devil's advocate to dismay of members of the brotherhood. Yes, lying is a way of life here because of the cultural upbringing. But you also have to keep in mind we are trying to bridge a cross cultural relationship too. The Chinese do understand our morality in lying, they know it to be wrong yet it is used as an excuse when they feel they might lose face because of an indiscretion on thier part. Things are changing over here and the Chinese are coming around to the idea that blurring the truth is no longer acceptable practice. My fourth grade and my sixth grade classes will bear this out. When someone lies they call that person rubbish or no good. Out of the mouths of babes truth is spoken. Stop trying to rationalize bad or dishonest behavior. It is what it is, a ploy to extract money by any means necessary and in my book it is not cool. I agree with some points Vince has brought up yet I have to say when the agency is outright lying or the woman is not aware that I am writing that is where the line of white lie becomes outright deception. Truth be told now is that I am too well aware of things anymore to really be taken advantage like I was in the past. Knowledge is power brothers, follow your dream but with eyes open and protect your heart in the meanwhile. It is like anything else in life, there will be good things as well as bad things on the road of life. It just takes a wise and prudent man to navigate it successfully.
China Shark  Mike

Vince G

« Reply #53 on: May 28, 2009, 10:17:05 pm »
Shark you got the point I was making. It might be common place for Chinese to lie without consequent but that doesn't give them the right to prolong letters from the woman not having any knowledge of the man writing. Then the other side of it is for the man not to jump to conclusion before it has happened.

Offline Willy The Londoner

• Beyond The Dream in China
  • Board Moderator
  • Hair today - gone tomorrow!!
« Reply #54 on: May 31, 2009, 12:29:27 pm »
This week I have received three admirer messages.  All say how they have read my profile with interest and that I may be the one for them.

Either they or the agency has not read a single word as my profiles reads  

'Thank you to all who have read my profile.

I am now in contact with someone and I will be shortly coming to Zhuhai. So If you see me walking around please say 'Ni Hao' but I am no longer available'

Are they seeing something in me from this that I cannot see????
Willy the Londoner
Willy The Lpndoner

Now in my 12th year living here,

Spruik

« Reply #55 on: May 31, 2009, 12:51:00 pm »
Looks like the agencies are too busy sending out mass admirer letters...

Offline JimB

• http://www.jandyenterprises.com
« Reply #56 on: May 31, 2009, 05:48:42 pm »
Willy,
You can hide your profile. No new women can see it.  Only the ones you have written to or have written to you in the past.  That stops the admirer letters.
Maxx's 24 hour rule, learn it, live it.

Offline China Shark

« Reply #57 on: May 31, 2009, 11:20:03 pm »
Willy best way to stop admirer letters without making your profile invisible is to send some real harsh complaints about the agencies and like magic no more admirer letters. I stop receiving admirer letters after I conplained the third time and got ten credits back.
Shark

Spruik

« Reply #58 on: June 01, 2009, 12:48:11 am »
I think Willy intentionally does not hide his profile, in order to see what happens. :)

I would like to see more about the ladies in their profiles, such as hobbies and interests, the type of man she is looking for. As standard points.

As it stands, you mainly need to rely on what she looks like, but which turns out quite different when she is out of the studio - back home.

We don't need to know why she got divorced (all the reasons given are the same anyway).

Toon

Offline Willy The Londoner

• Beyond The Dream in China
  • Board Moderator
  • Hair today - gone tomorrow!!
« Reply #59 on: June 01, 2009, 02:36:46 am »
Quote from: 'Spruik' pid='4499' dateline='1243831691'

I think Willy intentionally does not hide his profile, in order to see what happens. :)

Toon

I could not see how to make my profile hidden so did the next best thing and announced to all that I am spoken for as that looked the easier. 000ps have now found the way to do it and I am now Hidden.

Willy
« Last Edit: June 01, 2009, 03:21:28 am by Willy The Londoner »
Willy The Lpndoner

Now in my 12th year living here,