Author Topic: My Story So Far  (Read 14030 times)

Offline Bee964

• Found someone!
  • Dave & YanLing
Re: My Story So Far
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2011, 08:38:44 am »
I showed YanLing my visa on the web cam. She had been having a horrible day at work, up untill that point. the rest of the day was a great day for her. She is still smiling. She says that now she is really nervous because she knows that soon we will meet face to face.

The only thing that I am not looking forward to is the 15 hour flight leg. When I came back from Singapore my butt was numb for a couple days and my back was a little sore. The 7 hour flight from France on monday started to bother me but there was a London "bobby" sitting beside me that was flying to Toronto to meet a man she had met on line in a bible study. The last couple hours of the flight "FLEW" by as we talked about our experiences with long distance on line dating.

I think I will do a lot more walking around the cabin this time. I am used to being on my feet for very long hours at a time from my past employment.

I have some other questions too.

Is there a maximum amount of cash you can bring with you? I am not talking about an ammount like the US and Canada have a limit on, $10,000.

Is it difficult to get it exchanged in the bank?

Is it better to bring US or Canadian? (They are at par so the exchange rate is not an issue.)

That is all I can think of for now.

Dave C
Life is like a jar of Jalapenos-- What you eat today will burn your ass tomorrow!.

Offline Bee964

• Found someone!
  • Dave & YanLing
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2011, 01:36:06 pm »
Thanks Mike,

There is a bank machine in Windsor you can use to get new US bills and the rate is usually better than if you went to the counter. I have to go to Windsor to see my one daughter so I can stop and get the US there.

Dave C
Life is like a jar of Jalapenos-- What you eat today will burn your ass tomorrow!.

Offline Martin

• Board Moderator
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2011, 04:00:24 pm »
Like Mike said...make sure the bills are in excellent shape.  I had no problems converting 50's and 100's.  Bank of China is the place to do it.  Get your lady to go into the bank, as apparently it is easier for a local than it is a foreigner.  Also, hit the Currency Exchange at the airport in Toronto (I am assuming you are flying out of Pearson).  Convert around 200 CDN, so you have some cash on hand when you arrive.  This can cover hotel and food for the first day or so.

Have a great trip Dave.  I will talk to you soon.

Offline mustfocus

« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2011, 04:20:24 pm »
I've never used the currency counter in Pearson, but the one in Hong Kong's airport wasn't too bad.  There are a few in there.

Which reminds me, I should get some NTD currency myself...
梦醒时分 - Meng Xing Shi Fen

Offline David E

• David and Ming
  • Board Moderator
  • My favourite photo
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2011, 05:09:53 pm »
I dont bother with a large amount of cash now. I found it is easier to use the Bank of China cash machines with my Visa or Mastercard Debit Card.
I just take $500 in cash to get me through the first few days. Never had a problem changing Aus or US dollars. In fact, there is usually a "private" currency trader lurking in most Banks who will give you a better rate...if you need to convert your own dollars.

Offline RobertBfrom aust

• Sujuan [Yo ] is my tai tai
  • Robert and Sujuan [Yo ] at home .
    • bopads.info
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2011, 01:11:48 am »
Mr Bee , just make sure that whatever cards you are holding that you notify them that you will be in China for X time and add a week either way , I alway convert 200 dollars at my local bank into Yuan and that gets me through the first days but I always top up from B of C or Agri Bank once I am there , 1 to make sure cards are working and to carry 2000 plus most times . Also most hotels will only accept Visa or Mastercard for hotel payments . once you have met and things are fine , tell your other half that she can control the money and stand by for the haggleing ha ha , even simple things like the taxi from the airport , you are in her domain so slip her some money for her to pay , we even have some simple but yummy meals for under 60 yuan for 2 including beer , so your money will go a long way , make sure whatever notes you are holding that you DO NOT fold them , along with what I keep hidden I always use  A4 envelopes to keep the notes neat especially Aust/US , regards Sujuan and Robert .
Now it is early to bed and late to rise .
My QQ is   1994376895
For electronics and books etc , check out , www.bopads.info

Offline Willy The Londoner

• Beyond The Dream in China
  • Board Moderator
  • Hair today - gone tomorrow!!
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2011, 01:49:02 am »
I have been living here since June 2009.  The bank knows where I am but every five or six weeks or so I get a block put on either of my two debit cards. 

Its back on the phone to the UK spend about 15 minutes chatting and the problem is lifted.  Lucky I have a Skype subscription and I can call any landline in the UK for free. 

Its a pain but I know they are keeping a check on my money almost as well as my wife!!!!

Willy

Willy The Lpndoner

Now in my 12th year living here,

Offline Irishman

• Muireadach and Sunny
    • http://www.chinaromance.net
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2011, 06:52:32 pm »
I opened a Bank Of China account , brought over a good amount of money and just lodged it all into that and paid by plastic as and when needed. No worries about loosing loads of money or carrying around, bar the first day obviously when you go to the bank. I gave the card to my wife to look after when I am back here and said if she ever needs money to take some out from that. You just need to bring your passport to open a Bank Of China account and they'll give you the debit card there and then , all very easy to do.

Dave, assuming all goes well, hope to see you in GZ in a few weeks time :)
Become the change you want today, or all your tomorrows will be like yesterday.

JamesMarvin

« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2011, 09:17:32 am »
Hi all!

Is there anyway to open a Bank of China account by mail? I would like to have one. Also how hard is it to get money OUT of China?

thanks,

JIM in Germany

Offline Bee964

• Found someone!
  • Dave & YanLing
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2011, 04:57:00 pm »
Thanks for the info guys. I had planned on bringing some cash with me seeing as it is my first time there. If everything continues to go well I plan on opening a bank of china account there.

Irishman,

I expect to see you there. I have to send you a PM soon with contact information. I have been rather busy here but I expect things to slow down until my trip. I have everything ready to go now and I am growing restless as the time grows near. Everytime I think about the trip I get the anxious butterflies in my stomach...

Side note;

I saw a dance show in Kitchener on the weekend, Shen Yun. I thought it was an excellent performance! I think it is in Montreal right now and it will be in Toronto very soon. I think there are 3 troops traveling around north america putting on this show. The website is

www.shenyunperformingarts.org

Dave C

Offline Jason B

• Xia and Laura the most beautiful girls in the world
  • Xia - guardian of my heart.
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2011, 09:31:06 pm »
Funny you should mention Shen Yun Bee, there are performances in Sydney running from 8Feb-25Feb no good to me as I will be in China then.  Must be a lot of performers from this company traveling around the world or the show is coming from Canada to Australia?
I WILL have my revenge for having to be clean shaven......once I learn how to tame my Dragon.

Offline Hans

• Once you go Asian you never go Caucasian
    • http://motpol.blogspot.com
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2011, 12:50:16 pm »
Good luck!  :D I'm looking forward hearing the rest of the story when you get back!

Offline Bee964

• Found someone!
  • Dave & YanLing
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2011, 05:35:08 pm »
The bags are all packed now. I just want to review the weight limits on the checked bag to make sure it is not over the limit. I have a couple more things to do on monday and then I will be ready to go. Even though I am ready I know I will forget something. The nerves are beginning now. I just hope the first impression I give her is a good one.

Dave C

Vince G

« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2011, 06:21:45 pm »
You'll do alright "don't worry be happy".

Offline Bee964

• Found someone!
  • Dave & YanLing
« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2011, 06:32:58 pm »
You'll do alright "don't worry be happy".

I am very happy Vince! So happy I cannot sleep properly. :o

Dave C