Author Topic: Writing to her parents  (Read 1387 times)

gertvc

Writing to her parents
« on: December 14, 2010, 11:01:32 am »
Hello,

I've met my girlfriend last summer. Since then I've only physically met her a few times, not any more since last august.
We're chatting or calling almost daily since then.
We've been talking about her visiting me in Begium for some time. Recently she spoke to her parents about me/us and they where positive about our relationship.
Now she asked them to let her visit me, but didn't want her to come to Belgium.
I never met her parents, so i can understand that they are a bit reserved about this.
Now i want to write them a letter (get it translated through a chinese collegue) to introduce myself and ask them to let their daughter come to Belgium.

Does anybody has some good advice for me ?
My girlfriend is from Jiangsu (living in Shanghai) and runs her own business (shop). I have the impression that she is quite traditional chinese.
Her father has a factory in Shanghai (foundry).

Many Thanks,
Gert

Vince G

Re: Writing to her parents
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2010, 11:25:10 am »
Hi Gert and welcome to the forum. Did she give an reason for their decision? Her age and if she was married before may or not may play a factor. Coming from having two daughters the first reply would be no. They may have many reasons.

Assuring them it only for a visit and she will have her own bed might help? It may be a money thing as well. You will need more information before writing them to win them over.

Arnold

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2010, 11:25:28 am »
Gert , I feel in your situation .. it is better for you to wait for your Lady to visit you . I would plan on making another Trip myself to see Her AND her Parent's on that Trip . Get to know them in Person .. weight's a lot more then through only a Letter . Your second Trip would also have the advantage later when filling for your Lady's Visa ( more Trips the better the chances ) . Well , this is how I look at it .. so think about it .. if this is not better for both of you ?

Offline David E

• David and Ming
  • My favourite photo
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2010, 04:11:14 pm »
Gert

Until you get the approval from her Parents, it is not going to be easy.

I think you should forget her coming to Belgium for a while. Better make another trip to China, meet her Parents, let them know you and see that you are a good man who can be trusted and who cares for their Daughter.

Once they decide that you are OK...all problems will disappear !!!

David

Offline halfpint

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2010, 10:15:06 pm »
Gert as a dad of 3 daughters, I know I'd want you to come and introduce yourself to me, if I had those concerns.  If there is any way you can do that, it'll make all the difference in the world.  Good luck.

Alan
My qin ai de is in Shanghai, and I'm not

JOHN1964

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2010, 03:52:42 am »
Gert , do not write them a letter, Go and see them and show you are a genuine man , I am to see my lao po in seven days and meet the parents, my battle has been a little up hill so far but they know i am coming and they want to meet me this time, Do yourself a favour and book a flight to see your lady and " meet the parents", Best of luck from John an MinYing. 

Offline halfpint

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2010, 01:03:24 pm »
Just one more thing.  On my next trip to Shanghai we had talked about doing a weekend trip to Beijing, which I haven't seen yet.  I told my girl a few days ago, instead of Beijing, we should go to her parents city so they can meet me.  She was thrilled with that idea and said I was a very smart guy. 

I also told her I got the idea after reading all the posts in here, but I'm still taking the credit for being smart!

Alan
My qin ai de is in Shanghai, and I'm not

JOHN1964

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2010, 07:29:44 am »
Ha ha , Good for you Alan, Take the credit, Good luck to you and your lady, How about some pics of you both so we can put faces to the names. Regards from John and MinYing.