Author Topic: Trip number four  (Read 19155 times)

Offline Peter

Re: Trip number four
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2011, 01:56:24 pm »
Congratulation Neil.... Sooner or later everyone will marry a Chinese wife.. It is only a matter of time   ;D
Better to be married to a wife from Changsha then have 7000 women in Chnlove

Offline Neil

• happily married, working on immigration
  • Zhangping, Fujian bound.
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2011, 07:06:54 am »
I figure I'll try to write some of the things we did over the three weeks. 

The day after I arrived, we drove to her parents home.  My wife rented a car, that is, she rented a couple seats in a small van.  It was about a 3 hour drive to her home, then another hour to her parents place.  It was night when we arrived so we quickly met her family then went to bed.  She has her own room at her parent's home.  This home is very old and there are pictures of it in the local museum and temple.  There are three or four families living there. 

The next day was spent vising and meeting family and friends.  Everyone was very nice and gracious.  Her family is huge, with four older brothers (one owns a cell phone store, one has a cement business, one runs a small store attached to the home, and the oldest is a farmer) and an older sister.  All are married and have a child or two. 

Day three was Chinese New Year, and was spent vising each family member, and having tea or a meal while the kids blew stuff up with fire crackers and bottle rockets.  By nightfall the fireworks started, and every hour it got more intense.  At midnight, we were trying to sleep, and the fireworks were incredible.  She kept telling me to go watch, but I figured they must be almost done.  Finally I got dressed and ran outside.  This small town put on a bigger fireworks show than I had ever seen in my life up to that point.  Every home and business has a fireworks budget I think.  Everywhere you looked were fireworks. 

The next day she took me to the doctor.  I had caught a cold on the plane, and it went straight to my chest.  It was still a holiday in China so his office was closed, but the brother was able to convince him to see me.  It's nice to have connections, especially concerned brothers.  It didn't cost me anything to see him, I only had to pay for the pills he gave me, and brother paid for the next bunch. 

After a few more days, my wife decided it's time we took care of this wedding thing.  A quick bus ride to her apartment, shower, and off to get wedding photos.  I thought it was a bit premature - what if there are problems and we can't get married?  Ah, I figured, why argue?  I figured she knows what she's doing.  And she did.  6 hours later and 6 outfits later we were back in our own clothes and in possession of our small photos we would need to put in our red books (wedding certificates kinda). 

The next day we caught a bus - 8 hours to Fuzhou, the capital of Fujian province.  Rented a hotel room, then the next day we visited the government office for marriage with a foreigner.   Apparently I didn't have the right papers, so we had to go to the Canadian consulate in either Shanghai or Guangzhou.  This was a Tuesday, and Shanghai does marriage papers (I forget the proper word) on Tuesdays, so we made an appointment with Guangzhou for 4:00 pm on Wednesday.   Down to the bus station we go.  Twelve hours later on a sleeper bus, we arrived in Guangzhou.  It was 6 am and we watched the sun rise in a park. 

We hung out in the consulate a couple hours early in case we could get in early, but we didn't.  We saw 6 or 7 couples doing the same thing.  It was a quick interview.  I went in by myself.  Gave her my papers, signed and swore it was true, had it stamped and paid just under 300 RMB.  Papers in hand, we caught a taxi back to the bus station. 

Another quick 12 hour overnight bus ride back to Fuzhou, taxi to the hotel, shower, shave and off to the marriage office for another try.  No problems this time.  She had to read aloud and sign, I only had to sign.  She had to take my paper across the street to be notarized, but apparently not translated.  5 minutes later we both had our red books.  She said she felt like she was dreaming.  We walked hand-in-hand to a temple.  I think she wanted to say a prayer or burn an incense or something, but felt embarrassed because it was very crowded.  I asked her if she wanted to, but she said no.  I regret not pushing harder, but we were both too happy to really think straight.  We ended up walking back to the hotel.  We were really married.

That's the first half - I'll finish it off in another post later.
...as irresistible as chocolate

Offline Hans

• Once you go Asian you never go Caucasian
    • http://motpol.blogspot.com
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2011, 03:45:12 am »
Congrats and all the best to you both!

Offline shaun

« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2011, 06:54:56 am »
Neil, I know it is belated but congratz.

Offline Neil

« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2011, 08:07:24 am »
Thanks guys.  This really was an amazing trip.  I met this woman through qq, and I wasn't even looking.   She was first and foremost, a friend.  Before I even realized it, she had become more than a friend.  She has always been honest and straight forward with me.  She gave me her trust, she put her heart in my hands, but she also had the strength to ask me to be gentle and honest with her.  She is more than I deserve.  She is exactly what I've searched my life for - my true love. 

I had given up my quest to find a Chinese wife.  I had let my accounts on dating sites expire.  I changed my plan and bought a new vehicle.  I wasn't going to need to save for another trip to China anyway.  But I had made some friends on qq, and we continued chatting.  It's funny how quickly life can take a turn.  All it takes is a little faith, a positive attitude and an open mind.  And a willingness to get out of your comfort zone. 

Arnold

« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2011, 12:40:01 pm »
Neil , you are so right .. the way it happened to you . I should know , it happened to me . When your True Love is handed to you like this , you will always do your best never to let go and cherish her forever . These things do happen for a reason and now it's up to both of you to nurture it .. let it grow and don't forget to thank the one that really got you together .... !

Haha .. why does paperwork always include Traveling ?

Offline Rhonald

• Ziyan Zhou (Yan)
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2011, 09:43:34 pm »
I had given up my quest to find a Chinese wife. 

I am happy to see that your life like your Avatar - Chocolate boy - was just as Forest Gump's mother said. You never know what you are going to get. Great pictures and a great story.
Life....It's all about finding the Chicks and Balances

Offline chen yan

• http://chenyan19851010.spaces.live.com/
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2011, 07:47:12 pm »
Neil,  you finally become a Fujianese son in low... hahaha, Zhangping is in the west of Fujian province,it's famous for their grapefruit.
You will eat plenty in the future.

I notice your wedding photo in your QQ , And I know you must find your love, And I didn't think it's so quicky also.
You are really lucky... When you are not looking, True love comes to you.

How is your impression about Fuzhou ? I spent 3 years college life there.
And I was passing the foreign marriage register center many times, I thought if I had a chance to have a red book here in the future,
Because I donn't know where the local people marriage center is ...hehe

Your wife looks stunning and
I bet we will see more smile from your face .
« Last Edit: March 04, 2011, 07:49:00 pm by chen yan »
Love ,Joy ,Peace~

Arnold

« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2011, 07:55:03 pm »
Yan ... yeah , smiles yes .. but He already is slowly Melting . Chocolate can not take the Heat of this pretty Wife . hahaha

Offline Neil

« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2011, 08:45:30 pm »
Fuzhou was beautiful.  I was really amazed how big that city is.  The buildings are so tall.   We visited a beautiful temple just down the street from the foreign marriage center and a beautiful park with a hot spring and a tourist shopping street with ancient buildings.   

Offline Neil

« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2011, 09:10:33 pm »
Yan ... yeah , smiles yes .. but He already is slowly Melting . Chocolate can not take the Heat of this pretty Wife . hahaha

Haha.  It's funny Arnold, look at my picture on my first post in this thread, and then at my avatar.  Very similar.

Arnold

« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2011, 01:00:32 am »

Haha.  It's funny Arnold, look at my picture on my first post in this thread, and then at my avatar.  Very similar.

Well yes , look the same .. but those are most likely Chinese Copies of the Chocolate Man .
Your Wife properly drank the original with Milk .  :P

I'm just pulling you on the "OTHER" Arm . haha

Offline Neil

« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2011, 07:47:40 am »
An interesting side note:

I was together with my wife for 3 weeks this trip.  For the first two weeks, I realized I wasn't recognizing as many words as I should.  I mean, I've studied a bit.  I should recognize some words.  During the third week, we had a translator join us to help with our wedding.  Her and her husband could both speak a little English.  5 or 6 of us were having tea together.  I noticed the translator's husband making a funny face and scratching his head.  His wife said to me something like: "My husband is from Fuzhou.  He is not local, so he can not understand the local dialect.  He cant understand what we are saying."  This whole time my wife and her family were talking the local dialect. 

As an example:  my wife's apartment is in Zhangping.  If I type that in google translate, I can hear how it's pronounced: Jangping.  Well, they pronounce it Zangping, with a hard z like in zipper. 

Offline Martin

• Board Moderator
« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2011, 02:20:15 pm »

Weird coincidence, or is Neil really the Chocolate Guy from the commercials, but in disguise when he visits China?

Offline lfputman3

• Don't count the days until, count the days after
« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2011, 08:49:40 pm »
Honestly, when I saw the first picture, next to the chocolate man, wow, Neil was the model for the chocolate man!

Seriously though, congratulations Neil, you both look happy in the pictures.

Lloyd
Better to plunge in and drowned, than sit on the pier wondering.

1744748245@qq.com