Author Topic: Trip number four  (Read 19157 times)

Offline Neil

• happily married, working on immigration
  • Zhangping, Fujian bound.
Re: Trip number four
« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2011, 02:26:50 pm »
Here's a little update I figured I'd share.

I met Alice's sister-in-law (she's actually a cousin's wife) who lives in Ontario.  She came to Alice's parents home during Spring Festival.  Since I've been back, her sister-in-law's daughter and husband who also live in Ontario, have been helping her fill out forms.  They filled the forms for her sister-in-law when she first came to Canada.  They both can speak English quite well.  They have been a great help. 

It really feels like we are making some progress.  I also think it will be a help for us to have family in Canada, especially one I have met in person.  Hopefully I can meet the rest of the family one day. 

It's been a slow process so far.  Until recently, filling out forms has been difficult with the huge time difference, me working long shifts and tons of overtime, and (until recently) the inability to save partially filled-out forms.  It's refreshing to finally see some progress.  Time flies.  I've been home nearly two months and I feel like we should have this stuff filed by now. 

My wife is excited to come to Canada.  Silly girl bought a coat in preparation.  I wore warmer clothes over there than I do in my daily life here.  It's a different lifestyle with heated homes and a warm car to drive the 6 blocks to the grocery store (also heated).  I keep telling her she won't get cold. 
...as irresistible as chocolate

Offline mustfocus

« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2011, 09:19:23 pm »
Hey Neil,

Good update.  Glad she has some support from this side... hopefully that'll help her mitigate the "QQ factor" that others seem to hit during the transition process.

On a side note, if she knows people who live in Ontario, if you're on a visit down here, definitely get in touch with some of us for a night out...
梦醒时分 - Meng Xing Shi Fen

Offline Neil

« Reply #32 on: April 04, 2011, 12:07:43 am »
I'd love to.  My father lives in Branford and her sister-in-law and children live in Hamilton.  I hope to get out for a visit one of these days, but it may not be until after my wife comes to Canada, for obvious reasons. 

Offline Neil

« Reply #33 on: April 10, 2011, 12:33:08 pm »
This was a rough weekend.  My wife has been feeling very sad and lonely.  She is missing me.  She constantly asks when I will return.  She is worried our love will fade or I will find someone else.  Her cousin/boss had a lump removed from her breast last week, so the shop has been closed this week.  She hasn't had work to keep her mind off sad thoughts. 

I want to return soon, but it is not cheap and work is very busy.  I'm tempted to reduce my debt load.  Maybe sell my new car and get a used one.  I need to win the lottery or something.  I wish I could stay with her until the immigration is finished. 

I see her smile on the webcam and I know this is all worth it.  She is so beautiful.  I really feel very lucky.  I could not ask for a more dedicated, loving, caring wife.  She appreciates me and is full of concern.  She always reminds me to eat breakfast in the morning or go to bed when I'm tired.  She is eager to come to Canada, though she is also terrified of the interview. 

I can't wait to see her again.  Two months in, and I'm already working on returning.

Arnold

« Reply #34 on: April 10, 2011, 05:51:23 pm »

though she is also terrified of the interview. 

Neil , this is the very reason .. I had waited the longest ( between my Trip's ) on my last Trip ( 7 month's ) just so I can be by my LaoPo's side at the Interview . This has calmed her down enough to stay focused on what's at Hand and gave us a chance to go through the final prep one last time and like I said .. give her the chance also to take your Passport to the Interviewer ( a big PLUS ) . So if you can arrange you Trip in that time-frame .. I certainly would . It is after all very hard to calm your Wife down from thousand's of miles away .
Just a thought .

Offline Neil

« Reply #35 on: May 02, 2011, 03:29:50 pm »
This week my wife is in Fuzhou with our son, doing the immigration medical check up.  I'm heading back on the 16th for a week, and I can bring back all our documents to file.  I think we have everything we need now, except photos and the chat logs (which I'm dreading). 

My wife's cousin is getting married, so I've been invited to attend.  I'm very excited.  I've only been back for 3 months, but it feels like an eternity.  I can't wait to see her again.

Offline shaun

« Reply #36 on: May 02, 2011, 08:50:37 pm »
Neil I hoping for you and your wife.

Offline Martin

• Board Moderator
« Reply #37 on: May 23, 2011, 11:42:43 am »
Have fun printing all the chat logs and such.  I thought I was going to burn out my printer.  I am sure it will all happen quickly for you though.  The Beijing Embassy is a pretty quick place.  Best of luck to you two.

Offline Neil

« Reply #38 on: May 24, 2011, 03:05:14 pm »
I really wish I had the choice to use Beijing.  My wife lives in Fujian Province and Hong Kong processes her application. 

Offline Neil

« Reply #39 on: August 22, 2011, 11:31:46 am »
I finally received confirmation from Immigration Canada.  I am approved as a sponsor and our application has been forwarded to Hong Kong.  The wait times for Canada say 55 days (working on applications received June 21).  I mailed my application June 15 and the last 6 days have been very stressful.  In the 3 months since I mailed it, I received no confirmation of delivery, no notice that they are working on it, nothing.  Thank God that stress is finally over, and I can begin to worry about my wife's application.  Hong Kong's wait times are currently up to 19 months.  I'm heading back to China in December for a couple weeks.  yay!

Offline Rhonald

• Ziyan Zhou (Yan)
« Reply #40 on: August 22, 2011, 11:41:41 am »
Congratulations Neil,

I can see that the stress has gotten to you as by my calculation it just took over two months for your approval of sponsorship since you mailed June 15th, but you thought it was three months waiting. Yes nail bitting tends to make time feel much longer. I believe that once Hong Kong received our file the average processing time was only a small wait of 12 months, but know being 19 months I hope you do not get the same delays that we did. The 18th of this month marks 26 months since Hong Kong received our documents.

But being that this is your thread, I can only wish your case file God's speed & pass on a small ounce of patience,..... you're going to need it.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 11:43:18 am by Rhonald »
Life....It's all about finding the Chicks and Balances

Offline Neil

« Reply #41 on: August 22, 2011, 12:03:21 pm »
haha.  maybe it just felt like 3 months.  Those two months have been spent working 12 hour days, some 7 days per week, then one week after the project was finished, a fire tore through and destroyed all our work.  Add that to the stress of my wife asking almost daily if we've heard anything from immigration.  She was very happy and relieved to hear the news as I wished her goodnight.

Offline Rhonald

• Ziyan Zhou (Yan)
« Reply #42 on: August 22, 2011, 01:17:34 pm »
then one week after the project was finished, a fire tore through and destroyed all our work. 

Must have been all that passionate talking on QQ that started the fire Neil .... too much heat  8)

Yes I remember all to well going to the mail box each day waiting for the envelope from the Government. The next big wait will be you bugging her if she received anything from the Hong Kong consulate. Then once she does and she gives you her case file number, you can check on the Hong Kong website to see if any updates are posted. My word of caution, don't check too often and wait at least a while because you will get annoyed seeing the same status.
Life....It's all about finding the Chicks and Balances

Offline Martin

• Board Moderator
« Reply #43 on: August 22, 2011, 11:59:10 pm »
Best of luck for a speedy process. Try not to get discouraged by the slow pace of Hong Kong.

Offline Neil

« Reply #44 on: October 27, 2011, 11:02:06 pm »
Well, my tickets are bought.  I'm returning to China in December for another 3 weeks.  It's my wife's dream to come home for Christmas, but since the chances of that happening are very slim, this will be the next best thing.  I really should put it off until Spring Festival and our anniversary, but we've been apart too long already.  By the time I arrive in China, it will be 7 months apart. 

I want to do something special for her this time.  I hope to travel somewhere.  Her ears really perked up when I mentioned Hong Kong, but I'm also considering Yunnan as a possible choice.  Winter isn't an ideal time to be a tourist in China, but southern China shouldn't be too cold (I hope).  I thought for a short while about Guilin, but having spent time there with my former girlfriend, the magic would be tainted.  Does anyone have any suggestions for possible alternatives?