Author Topic: Observations and Interpretations of my new home.  (Read 4035 times)

Offline China Shark

Observations and Interpretations of my new home.
« on: May 28, 2009, 11:27:50 am »
Well, here's my rant for the week. Just want to clarify the meaning of my name on here {China Shark}. Part of the reason I chose an alias was to make sure other members did not confuse me with the numerous Mikes on Chnlove already, second reason being Sharks are really cool and strong, third reason is the tenacity they show once they set thier minds on something, hence China is my dream therefore it is a direct reflection on how I feel about my new life here. One member on the official forum interpretted it in a negative way which could be no further from the truth. I moved here to embrace this culture and to find the women of my dreams and that is the bottom line. As of yesterday I officially logged 195 classes with my job at the middle school, really dig this teaching gig and am sure I can make a lot of money in the meanwhile securing my future as well as the woman I eventually end up marrying here. Yesterday I went out exploring my new neighborhood. It is amazing how many interesting things you come across once the Chinese stop noticing you. I saw an albino Chinese man yesterday playing some kind of instruement through a mini amp. I thought to myself how difficult his life must be with how racist the Chinese are sometimes to people who are vastly different from themselves such as blacks. Fortunately they love white westerners for the most part or they might just love because we can teach them English, lol. Three times I almost ran right into woman nursing thier babies right there on the street. I think for the most part people from the country do not consider baby or children defacating or peeing in the streets much of a big deal, same goes for nursing. Although I am shocked I am also embaressed at the same time so I usually look the other way immediately. For the most part I have been shopping in the small local stores and have only been getting charged the Chinese price anymore. The small store owners are pretty honest about pricing to the foreigners. Yeah, some still take advantage but even with the foreign price it is still cheap. Recently I started exploring the persponal ads and think I scored paydirt this time with this very smoking girl from Lou Ho, 28 years old and should be hitting Starbucks the end of this week. It is a shame I have days off for the holiday yet she is traveling home to see her family. Also, I am still seeing Lisa the 23 yr old but I know that is just an ego thing that will probaly just be a lark. Still have a few irons in the fire at Chnlove yet am not putting too much time into that. If I pursue that I am looking for direct contact almost immediately and if that is a no go I'm not wasting money on credits. Pretty sure I am going to call and visit Chnlove's office sometime next month. Need to sit down explain our areas of concern for the brotherhood. They are good people yet need to get a handle of what is really going on and we need to make them more accountable for what goes on in thier own backyard. If anybody else wants to represent with me give me a heads up and we'll figure out a time to meet up. Overall I am extremely happy with China in general, life is nice and simple here unlike complicated America. I do not have to prove myself daily to people I don't even care about. My employers, fellow teachers and students have the utmost respect for me just being me nothing else, no agendas here. Not sure if I ever want to live the American dream ever again. Women act like women, children act like children, there is a certain amount of innocence here that America has lost a long time ago. I want to raise my child here so they learn to grow up naturally like a child should. My students are so happy just to learn and to play with one another. They are like children were when I was a youngster 36 years ago. When the word gay still meant happy. Our world has progressed yet went two step backwards in the name of progress. What a high price we put on our society. I hardly ever see vagrants or crime here any hour of the night in the worst neighborhoods here. Maybe thier way isn't as bad as most people surmise. To be honest I really don't see that much lack of human rights here. What I see is a law abiding cpommunities. Everyone knows thier place and acts appropiately here. Yes, I am tooting China's horn yet like I said Observations and Interpretations. Take it anyway you want it.
China Shark Mike
[attachment=75]
« Last Edit: May 28, 2009, 12:34:00 pm by Irishman »
Living life the way it should be. Following the path less traveled!!!!!!!!!

Vince G

RE: Observations and Interpretations of my new home.
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2009, 01:11:03 pm »
I'm happy for you and thinking maybe I should get the hell out of here too. Two places in the world I would go. Italy and China. Not because of the italian thing just the way of living. And the food? Like China big meals all day long. In Italy there lunch break is 2-3 hours. Yet eveything gets done correctly and on time. My kind of place. :)

I just came off a job doing the books. Before I got there, everything is in collections and already on the lawyers desks. Everything except the owners 90 grand Mercedes and the partners Hummer. They make sure they look good? But the business that makes the money for them they let go to crap. Times that by thousands and you have the USA. I think he got pissed of because the lawyers called me direct, they didn't what to talk to the Bullshitter.

So as I told Song, half year there, half here? Might work out for the better.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2009, 01:12:58 pm by Vince G »

Offline David

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2009, 07:49:46 pm »
Sounds like you are doing great Michael!  I am glad you are so happy.  The shark in your signature looks like it would make a great tattoo!:D

Big Dave

Spruik

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2009, 08:03:51 pm »
China Shark Mike,

How do you find the apartments there, on balance? Do they compare with our western standards?

From what I have seen I am not impressed. Not one bit. But I have only visited one family while in Fushun. Entrance stairway like that of a derelict dump.

If I were to live in China, I would like to buy an old house cheap and renovate it. Seems that old freestanding houses are not in plentiful supply.

Been talking about that with a girlfriend there, but she cannot see things my way. Insists that renovating is too expensive (but cannot quote figures - of course) and when I show her examples of houses that were bought cheap and renovated by a foreigner, she insists "too expensive to buy" - as if I am thinking about buying some-one else's work).

Same mentality as I experienced in the Philippines - downright hopeless.

Toon

Offline JimB

• http://www.jandyenterprises.com
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2009, 09:13:28 pm »
Thanks Mike, I like the observations.  Getting different viewpoints is always good and when someone can write well makes it better.
Maxx's 24 hour rule, learn it, live it.

Offline China Shark

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2009, 09:26:04 pm »
David I am seriously considering get this tattoo but with more detail.
China Mike

Spruik

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2009, 09:36:31 pm »
David,

You might like a transparent version of your avatar, as per attachment.

Toon.

Offline Agarn

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2009, 03:30:17 am »
Spruik

Dont be fooled into thinking all is cheap in China, my friends apartment in Shenzhen is valued at £3000,000 around $450,000 a little low as to the fallen value of the British £,  I was staggered at this, the rooms were small

Offline Danny

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2009, 03:49:19 am »
Quote from: 'China Shark' pid='4116' dateline='1243524470'

To be honest I really don't see that much lack of human rights here. What I see is a law abiding cpommunities. Everyone knows thier place and acts appropiately here.

Shark, it's like a lot of things, you got to know where to look.

What you have written sort of makes me laugh.

It reminds me of some old white anglo saxon protestant guy, all dressed up in his sunday suit, with his short back and sides, and he's saying to himself, I've never had any problems with police brutality.

Well you're not going to have any problems are you?

You're there having a good time, you're not sticking your nose into anyones business, and so there's no reason why human rights is going to become a problem for you.

You're a really smart guy in a lot of ways, so I'm not having a go at you. I've learned a whole heap of stuff from you.

When I go there in a few months I'm not making a fuss either. I pull my head in. I encourage all the brothers to do the same. Talking about politics and human rights in China is something that isn't going to help your cause (whatever it is) a whole lot.

I don't pretend there's a whole lot of stuff that has gone on, that continues to go on, that it isn't real ugly - but I know it's not something I can do anything about.

If you want to do something about it, donate to Amnesty International, but when you're visiting keep the three monkeys in mind: see nothing, hear nothing and say nothing *laughs*
« Last Edit: May 31, 2009, 03:51:41 am by Danny »

Offline Joshua Smith

• Eastern Scorpion
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2009, 01:21:47 pm »
Hi Mike,

So glad you're doing great. If I can't find a teaching job in my lady's city, I'll be checking Shenzhen next. It's only about a hour bus ride away from Guangzhou so I can go see my GF on my days off. I'm not giving up on a job in Guangzhou so easily though. Since my break up with Ping, my plans changed (Obviously), I'm now planning on moving to China by the end of November, maybe the beginning of December. If all goes the way I want, I'll apply for my Visitor Visa and find a job there within the three months permitted to stay in the country. I have an army of Chinese ladies searching for a job for me. :icon_cheesygrin: My GF and her friends are asking around for me. I need to find a job that will hire me even though I have no teaching history and no teaching credentials. I would prefer not to spend the money on a TEFL course if possible as it would prolong my time away from my GF because I'd have to save up another $1000.00. My lady wants me with her by Christmas this year but she also understands that there's a possibility it may not happen until next year. Being away from her is painful to say the least. I need to get to her as fast as I can. Haha, I buy lottery tickets every week......a guy can only hope. Anyway, I have to jet. Later all.

JMS
"I'm somewhere where I don't know where I am."   ~ Homer Simpson ~
"Everything is something."   ~ Marge Simpson ~

Martin

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2009, 04:42:25 pm »
I'll apply for my Visitor Visa and find a job there within the three months permitted to stay in the country.

Josh..I want to give you a heads up, that you might not be permitted to stay for 3 months.  My first visa, I was only permitted to stay for 30 days.

Offline Joshua Smith

• Eastern Scorpion
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2009, 06:36:34 pm »
Oh, well then....I'll have to find that job fast then lol
"I'm somewhere where I don't know where I am."   ~ Homer Simpson ~
"Everything is something."   ~ Marge Simpson ~

Offline China Shark

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2009, 09:55:17 pm »
Josh, there are so many jobs in Guangzhou at any given time. My suggestion would be to first and foremost to get a mutiple entry visa so there is never a concern about your ability to stay in country. Once you get that all you need to do is to duck into Hong Kong when you need to renew it. Actually you could teach on a tourist visa yet I would not take the chance. If you need a job in Shenzhen I would most likely be able to help you in getting a job with one or both of the training centers I work for. If you are sweating a place to stay you could stay with me for a few weeks until you find a place of your own. I have a one bedroom place yet I sleep in the livingroom because the damm Chinese bed is like sleeping on the floor. It really isn't as hard as I initially perceived to find work here. Right now I am getting work left and right and am not really making an effort. It is about making contacts and being at the right place at the right time. By you living here you have a huge advantage of the guys purusing the help wanted websites. Living here shows prospective employers that you are serious and got what it takes to succeed. Josh, you got my cell number as well as my email so if anything comes up give me a shout. Give you credit, you're a ballsy guy doing this thing. My excuse is I'm simply a nutjob who can't accept defeat regardless of the obstacles in the road of life. Also, if you have your heart set on Guangzhou move to Shenzhen and travel to Guangzhou to stay a few days at a time to interview and scout schools. Also, Josh it is a 90 minute busride without any traffic and up to a three hour busride with heavy traffic. Don't underestimate the ineffiency of the Chinese. Murphy's law is a way of life here. Chinese do not think of things directly, usually the most confusing way is how everything is done here. If you spent a week in Guangzhou I am sure you could find a decent job there yet the pay will not be as good as Shenzhen.
China Shark Mike

Offline Irishman

• Muireadach and Sunny
    • http://www.chinaromance.net
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2009, 10:04:21 am »
Fella's please keep on topic, we do NOT discuss political issues on this site , especially Chinese ones.
Become the change you want today, or all your tomorrows will be like yesterday.

florida ted

« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2009, 01:02:30 pm »
Quote from: 'China Shark' pid='5418' dateline='1244771717'

Josh, there are so many jobs in Guangzhou at any given time. My suggestion would be to first and foremost to get a mutiple entry visa so there is never a concern about your ability to stay in country. Once you get that all you need to do is to duck into Hong Kong when you need to renew it. Actually you could teach on a tourist visa yet I would not take the chance. If you need a job in Shenzhen I would most likely be able to help you in getting a job with one or both of the training centers I work for. If you are sweating a place to stay you could stay with me for a few weeks until you find a place of your own. I have a one bedroom place yet I sleep in the livingroom because the damm Chinese bed is like sleeping on the floor. It really isn't as hard as I initially perceived to find work here. Right now I am getting work left and right and am not really making an effort. It is about making contacts and being at the right place at the right time. By you living here you have a huge advantage of the guys purusing the help wanted websites. Living here shows prospective employers that you are serious and got what it takes to succeed. Josh, you got my cell number as well as my email so if anything comes up give me a shout. Give you credit, you're a ballsy guy doing this thing. My excuse is I'm simply a nutjob who can't accept defeat regardless of the obstacles in the road of life. Also, if you have your heart set on Guangzhou move to Shenzhen and travel to Guangzhou to stay a few days at a time to interview and scout schools. Also, Josh it is a 90 minute busride without any traffic and up to a three hour busride with heavy traffic. Don't underestimate the ineffiency of the Chinese. Murphy's law is a way of life here. Chinese do not think of things directly, usually the most confusing way is how everything is done here. If you spent a week in Guangzhou I am sure you could find a decent job there yet the pay will not be as good as Shenzhen.
China Shark Mike

Hi china shark  mike, Great idea of teaching and getting to know the culture then the woman next.  The rate this country is going (US) down don't be surprised if you don't see more expats there.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2009, 01:05:05 pm by florida ted »