Author Topic: Xia's Aussie Adventure  (Read 5171 times)

Offline Jason B

• Xia and Laura the most beautiful girls in the world
  • Xia - guardian of my heart.
Xia's Aussie Adventure
« on: June 26, 2011, 08:24:41 pm »
I thought that I would start a new page here and talk about how a we are going living in Sydney and how our relationship develops now that I have my wonderful wife here in beautiful Sydney Australia.

Xia has been here since 21/6/2011 and for the first couple of days I think that she was bewildered by the whole pack up and move to another country idea.  Do not get me wrong she has no regrets what so ever for coming but it is just a culture shock more than anything I would say.  I can completely understand as I just think what it would be like to just bring a couple of suitcases of clothes and move to China.

Currently we are living in my brothers house whilst we save up the last bit of money for a mortgage deposit as it was my intention to wait to purchase a house for after she moved here and we could pick out a design together if we decided to build a new home or find an existing home that we both liked.  But Xia has decided that she likes "downtown" more, with all the tall buildings around it looks a lot more like Shenzhen and she feels more comfortable.  After explaining that it is too expensive to buy an apartment in the middle of Sydney we are currently looking to rent an apartment  whilst we save up the rest of the deposit to buy as close to downtown as possible.  So maybe another year until we get purchase that.  But we are prepared to wait and Xia understands this and is happy. Luckily I did not go ahead with my original idea of buying a place in the suburbs and then have her come here and say I do not like it, I want to move.

We are currently about 20km's from downtown and although by Sydney standards this is just in the suburbs Xia feels like we are on a farm with not many people walking around, shops shutting earlier and so different from the hustle and bustle of a city that most Chinese are used to, this is another reason for moving downtown.  Also as a train driver I work in the city and with the daily commute it takes about an hour each way to go to/from work, so I will save time there and Xia will also have the oppotunity to be able to go to Chinatown whenever she wants to go shopping or to meet and talk with people.

We also went on the ferry across Sydney Harbour and Xia loved how clean everything is compared to say Hong Kong harbour and she loved going to Manly beach.  I will post some pictures soon.

lessons that we both have learnt after one week living together:

a.  the difference in how cultures do things, I do not mean big things just little things we just take for granted - be patient and explain everything and then come to a half way point so everyone is happy
b.  grocery shopping - in Sydney we generally go food shopping once a week - this took a little explaining that we do not go everyday unless to buy bread/milk that sort of perishable thing and everything else goes into a cupboard or the fridge/freezer until needed (I am sure once we get an apartment downtown that she will go everyday anyway)

All in all no great problems just a difference in what we are used to in the way we lived our lives before and how we are going to live our lives after living together.  The adventure has surely started, is full of suprises and will never end.  Please feel free to ask anything if we can help we will. 
I WILL have my revenge for having to be clean shaven......once I learn how to tame my Dragon.

AugustineP

Re: Xia's Aussie Adventure
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2011, 09:24:54 pm »
hi David,

I am glad to hear your story, i live in sydney as well and i thought we can get together to get some help from you, i am sure you would not mind, i live about 30 km from sydney, so i am willing to met up with you to learn perhaps what i should do, and not do.

Are you willing to share some time with me.

cheers

gus

Offline shaun

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2011, 10:20:46 pm »
A good read Jason.  Downtown.   Hmmm......   I sure hope Peggy doesn't want to do that.   Downtown where is live is one of the worst areas to live my community.  I guess I've got my work cut out before Peggy comes here.

Arnold

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2011, 11:41:01 pm »
Great Thread to start Jason , we here all appreciate to chance ( your willing to share ) your Adventure having now your "Dragon" home with you . It will definitely be good read and exciting to follow it here .

Offline Paul

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2011, 07:32:21 am »
Great idea for a thread and very thought provoking for the likes of myself who will hopefully be following in your footsteps in the near future. Thanks for that, I look forward to subsequent posts.

Offline john1964

• finally together
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2011, 06:24:16 am »
Jason and Xia, Congratulations on for you both on the beginning of a new life together,,MinYing and John.

Offline joeswuhandream

• the good life with a good wife
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2011, 05:53:53 pm »
CONGRATULATIONS Jason and xia , now your adventure as started, yes this will be a very good thread i for one is looking forward to your story unfolding , glad to hear so far your wife is enjoying Aus  good luck
regards joey+Sophia

Offline Jason B

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2011, 04:29:27 am »
hi David,
Are you willing to share some time with me.

Ummmmmmmm, you can call me Jason if you like.  Both Xia and I are both willing to help whoever we can in their journey, whether from start to finish, help with paperwork or just with a chat.

Thanks to everyone else that replied, as I stated if I can help I will.  The journey is never over, just a little easier

We have just been told that our application for the apartment we were looking at downtown has been approved.  We will move in on the 8th July.  I have one happy wife now.  She absolutely loves it when we go downtown and now she will live there.  An easy walk into Chinatown or anywhere else for that matter and an easy 20 minute walk for me to work.  So a bit of a win win for all.
I WILL have my revenge for having to be clean shaven......once I learn how to tame my Dragon.

Offline Jason B

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2011, 07:01:08 am »
Just a quick update on the next week in our life.  We have now moved into our apartment downtown and Xia is more than happy now.  She could not live out in the suburbs of Sydney and felt that anywhere other than downtown was like living on a farm.  Too quite compared to Chinese city standards.  Also we have an interview on Wednesday for her to enrol into English language classes.  This is a free course offered for migrants to Australia provided that they enrol within 3 months of the date stamped into their passport upon arrival into Australia.  For info on the places that are offered for placement check the letter of acceptance of visa that was sent out as the details are there, but be aware the government has just rechecked their contracts and the company in Sydney listed on the website as of 15JUL11 has lost the contract and it is another company now.

The meeting is to be able to access her level of English comprehension to be able to place her into the appropriate class.

All is going well at the moment, I do not see any of the hording etc. that has been mentioned in other posts at the moment.  But then again we are renting at the moment and once we buy our house about the same time next year all this may change........

Will keep all updated as our lives develop and go forward together........as usual all comments are welcome

Offline Jason B

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2011, 06:41:53 am »
Ok  it has been a long time since I have posted anything in here so I will give a brief update of things.

Xia is now doing English classes and as it is with a recognised training centre she is entitled to student travel on public transport.  So if your wife is doing the course get her to find out about this as it may save you some money.  She is really enjoying it and will have a test soon to see if she can go upto a more advanced class.  Fingers crossed as she is studying hard and will definetly benifit by being pushed a little bit more in an advanced class.  They will also break up for the semester in the middle of September so she will have a week off then from school and study.

Apart from that life is going on as normal and we are going great guns, going out and looking at properties that we might buy next year as our family home and just enjoying life together.  Oh I almost forgot she is pregnant.  :)

Offline RobertBfrom aust

• Sujuan [Yo ] is my tai tai
  • Robert and Sujuan [Yo ] at home .
    • bopads.info
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2011, 07:36:23 am »
Jason , congratulations to Xia and you on your last sentence , that is terrific news , regards Sujuan and Robert .
Now it is early to bed and late to rise .
My QQ is   1994376895
For electronics and books etc , check out , www.bopads.info

Offline Scottish_Robbie

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2011, 11:08:48 am »
Ok  it has been a long time since I have posted anything in here so I will give a brief update of things.

.....  Oh I almost forgot she is pregnant.  :)
CONGRATULATIONS TO THE BOTH OF YOU... :D :D
"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts" Winston Churchill

Offline maxx

« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2011, 11:09:10 am »
Congratulations Jason to you and Xia.good luck and best wishes.Keep us updated as the pregnancy progresses.Ive ben threw this twice.So I can help you with some of the problems. that mite come up.The first thing I would do is check and see how much of a problem it would be to bring Xia mom to Aussie land.On a visitor visa.Xia is going to need some help.I would also try to find her a Chinese doctor.Practicing in Australia.

Offline Rhonald

• Ziyan Zhou (Yan)
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2011, 11:12:03 am »
Oh I almost forgot she is pregnant.  :)

Congratulations .... But I can't remember in English class learning about the Birds & the Bees. You must have her enrolled in another advanced class I guess for the extra credits. So I guess all that HARD work & Sweat paid off.
Life....It's all about finding the Chicks and Balances

Arnold

« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2011, 11:33:15 am »
See .. this is what you get Jason , from not spending time on your " Boats " !

Congrat's anyway from good ole Palmdale Calif. to both of you .

Rhonald , now you got me worried .. what is Qing " REALLY"learning in those English Classes ? Then again , she's safe for now  :)