Author Topic: Experiences of Yet Another New Guy  (Read 13415 times)

Vince G

Re: Experiences of Yet Another New Guy
« Reply #30 on: November 25, 2011, 11:42:02 am »
Mmmm I had a problem with QQ on my Macbook (Pro) as well? There has ben 2 updates since but haven't tried it. From QQ went to Yahoo IM. The cam worked but she couldn't hear me, but I could hear her?

Anyway you write a good story and chat with her is better then EMF's.

Offline KevinHi

« Reply #31 on: November 28, 2011, 11:09:06 pm »
Vince, I am glad to know I'm not the only one with trouble using QQ video chat with a Mac! My girl is pretty computer illiterate, beyond the simple use of programs that are pre-installed at her workplace or the internet cafe I don't think I can ask for much more. I have heard that the latest QQ for iPad might be compatible with the PC video chat. I might try that soon.

Sorry I kind of dropped off the map after my last post. At least nobody was left holding their breath!  ;)

This week I'm away on a business trip but I hope to fill everyone in with some more details soon. I am also looking to travel to China early next year to see my girl and explore the area, so I will need advice and help on many topics relating to that  ;D

Offline maxx

« Reply #32 on: November 29, 2011, 12:15:27 am »
Kevin I have a question for you.When you say next year.Are you talking maybe Jan.First part of Feb?The reason I ask is because you do not wantthis relationship to become a expensive pen pal.Make the move while it id still fresh and exciting.

Offline Willy The Londoner

• Beyond The Dream in China
  • Board Moderator
  • Hair today - gone tomorrow!!
« Reply #33 on: November 29, 2011, 05:32:59 am »
But try to avoid travelling in China late January early February2012  as 300 plus millions of Chinese will be doing that.

Willy
Willy The Lpndoner

Now in my 12th year living here,

Offline 2hip

• Red Wabbit
« Reply #34 on: November 29, 2011, 09:41:37 am »
Willy, if I hadn't been reading this blog I wouldn't have known that.  I was playing with the idea of going to Harbin to see the Ice Festival.  Not a good idea during Feb, huh?

Offline Neil

• happily married, working on immigration
  • Zhangping, Fujian bound.
« Reply #35 on: November 29, 2011, 09:57:47 am »
February's fine.  You might have to book your travel a day or so in advance.  You might have to stand in line for an hour or so for tickets.  Busses and trains will be crowded beyond capacity, but travel is available and accessible, though not always comfortable. 
...as irresistible as chocolate

• Board Moderator
« Reply #36 on: November 29, 2011, 10:16:31 am »
February's fine.  You might have to book your travel a day or so in advance.  You might have to stand in line for an hour or so for tickets.  Busses and trains will be crowded beyond capacity, but travel is available and accessible, though not always comfortable.
Dont forget Neil that with Chinese New year being on 23rd Jan there will be many travelling back from home for at least a week into February.

Willy
Willy The Lpndoner

Vince G

« Reply #37 on: November 29, 2011, 11:49:11 am »
There are reasons I wanted to get there before winter and if I can make it before January? I will try and then return after like in March? I don't like the cold and not only in my brain but my body doesn't either. Any weather below 67 degrees (F) and my nose starts running. I'm not kidding right on the 67 mark. I always know the temp. because of this and not about to go to China looking sickly because of it.

Besides you may have the Ice Festival right in your hotel room. The chinese have no problem sleeping in their clothes and coats because the heat is off.

Offline KevinHi

« Reply #38 on: November 29, 2011, 06:45:51 pm »
Maxx, I absolutely agree that I need to go visit her while we're fresh and enjoying it! She wanted me to come to China sooner, but November and December have lined up non-stop business trips for me... not enough time in between to make a journey of this sort. I want to spend two or three weeks at least on this first trip.

So to get to the unfortunate point that Willy started with, and everyone else has made... Yes I had planned on being there in late January and the beginning of February! She will have a few weeks off work, and said that would be a great time to visit with the festivals and all.

Now that I hear the travel issues from everyone its a bit discouraging. I'd planned to fly into Hong Kong, and take the train or whatever method works quickly over to Shenzhen. Spend some number of days there, then if all was going very well with us, she wanted to take me to Hunan to introduce me to her family.

If I was to fly into Hong Kong, what's the best method to reach Shenzhen?

If you had to travel during this, would it be better to arrive sometime before January 23rd, and stay until February 10th or so? 

Exactly how crazy do I need to be to throw myself into the middle of Chinese New Year travel?  :P

Recommendations are welcome! I need to start making my travel plans  ;D

Offline Neil

• happily married, working on immigration
  • Zhangping, Fujian bound.
« Reply #39 on: November 29, 2011, 07:31:44 pm »
I was in China for Spring Festival last year.  We took the train from Xiamen to my wife's home town.  We stood in line for about an hour, and waited another hour or two for our train.  It wasn't the most comfortable train, but it wasn't overloaded.  During the middle of Spring Festival, we took a bus to Fuzhou, then an overnight bus to Guangzhou, then another overnighter back to Fuzhou.  There were lots of busses available, but expect long line ups and waits.  I could see it being more expensive too. 

I enjoy people watching, like Willy does.  Heck, I enjoyed most of my train and bus trips.  It's fun to get in there with the people.  Everyone is friendly and in good spirits.  I'd say Spring Festival is the best time to visit China.  You'll never see anything like it in the west. 
...as irresistible as chocolate

• Board Moderator
« Reply #40 on: November 29, 2011, 07:50:23 pm »
Now you know why she is having a few weeks off at the end of January. About a 750 million people will be on holiday for that period!

But no problem if she is in Shenzhen. That makes a difference. It is almost a walk from Hong Kong into Shenzhen!! or there are ferries that leave direct from the airport for places like Zhuhai and Zhongshan as well. 

The only travel problem you will have is if you want to go too far from Shenzhen then travelling wont be so easy.

There is a high speed train from Guangzhou to Hunan. But she may have to book it early to get tickets. Maybe thats why she wants a answer from you sooner rather than later. The new high speed train stations are less crowded than the older slow train stations more pricey but much faster and will be fully booked but with Chinese trains you get a seat number and that is your seat.

This is the scene at Guangzhou slow train station two years ago on approach to Chinese New Year.  This was on the forecourt before they go onto station.

Where's Willy?

Well if you look carefully you can just see me being carried along to the train by the crowd and off to Shanghai. And I only stopped by for a Soda!

Willy
« Last Edit: November 29, 2011, 08:22:19 pm by Willy The Londoner »
Willy The Lpndoner

Offline Clayton

« Reply #41 on: November 29, 2011, 08:32:36 pm »
Giday KevinHi
I think most of us can relate to your stories and I'm glad it's working out for you.  There's just one thing i would like to touch on, and I'd be interested to hear if anyone els uses this translator as well.

I use the QQ translator simply because it automatically back translates for you and that saves a hell of a lot of time, I sometimes have google running in the back ground so i can get a verbal translation.
Does anyone els use this QQ translator?

http://qq.bur.st/qqtranslator.php

Cheers
Leeroy
This is the way to go

Offline maxx

« Reply #42 on: November 29, 2011, 10:53:50 pm »
Kevin fly into Hong Kong.Then just take a taxi,Bus,or train to Shenzen.You will have to go threw customs again at the border.Of Hong Kong and Shenzen.But it isn't no big deal.Your lady can meet you at the border crossing.Or meet you at your hotel.

Pandora

« Reply #43 on: January 15, 2012, 04:41:07 am »
Haha  interesting!
Welcome Kevin.  Your reasons sound like many here and even some of mine.  I hope you find good fortune in this adventure.  I know I have and am still doing.

Willy, How is it possible to have been single for 40 years when you are only 38?

Shaun

Offline Scottish_Robbie

« Reply #44 on: January 15, 2012, 07:37:00 am »
YES I DO... :D :D AND KEEP MY IM ONE FROM GOOGLE IN BOOKMARKS

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts" Winston Churchill