Author Topic: Visa help from her friend  (Read 10030 times)

Offline kiwisteve

Re: Visa help from her friend
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2012, 07:39:41 am »
I read through the NZ requirements again. An invitation letter is not required for a visitor visa as such, but in my case as I am also a sponsor (to guarantee her expenses while here and if necessary pay for her return ticket), it can't hurt. They do like a covering letter outlining the reasons for the visit and the nature of the relationship etc, so the invitation letter I sent yesterday covers all that.

Today I went ahead and filled out the 2 forms I need to do as well, even though her friend has not asked me yet. Tomorrow I will get the documents certified, then scanned and send them to her to include with her application.

Yesterday we had a big misunderstanding. She effectively told me she was tired of me, was going to give me up, and did not want to marry me. Well, I just stopped the qq video, refused to answer her calls and generally shut down wondering what the hell just happened. Anyway, long story short, it turns out it was that time of the month, and I was supposed to comfort her etc and not ignore her... Well, I was married for 25 years but it seems I still know nothing about women!

Also, we have some hilarious translation issues sometimes. Today I said that we needed to be more patient with each other to avoid misunderstandings, and the translation said something like "we need more patients...".

All good now.

Vince G

« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2012, 04:49:53 pm »
John, Jason and the rest

I understand what your saying. There is a sponsorship for the Tourist visa? I still think it's nuts. 

Offline kiwisteve

« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2012, 04:59:46 pm »
Zombie,

Funny you should mention the property titles. Yesterday she asked me for mine, and I cannot understand why. Nowhere in the forms for tourist visa or sponsors does it ask for this. I only had to get a signed statement from my bank that I had sufficient funds to cover her length of stay, possible medical bills and deportation etc. The thing is I don't actually own the place I live in at the moment, so I supplied my rental agreement. I own other properties but that is a different story, and I assume they are more concerned about the accommodation availability at my current address, rather than my other business assets.

The problem is I do not know her friend at the travel agency or visa company as she calls it at various times. I am sceptical that they really know what they are doing in terms of the NZ requirements. So I went ahead and sent Anna the 2 NZ forms she needs to complete (with or without this visa company's help). Also I completed (and had all documents certified) the 2 forms I need to complete as her sponsor, and sent them to her along with the covering letter. I just hope the visa company knows what they are doing otherwise we may have to start again and I imagine it may be harder the second time if denied initially.

Yes, I have met her - I visited her and her family a few weeks ago. We have plenty of evidence of our relationship, but I'm uncertain as to how much of this they will require just for a visitor visa. I imagine I will need this for when she applies to come here permanently which would not be for more than a year from now.

Steve

Offline David K

• Yan Wang xxxx
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2012, 08:46:05 pm »
Hi Steve...
Been there, done that. It took a 3 year war of attrition,
but my lovely mongolian/chinese wife now has NZ residency.
Some random thoughts:

[1] It is illegal ( fines/jail) for anyone to offer immigration advice to someone
applying for a NZ Visa of any sort, unless the advisor is qualified as an immigration
agent. This is to prevent untold ripoffs of applicants, mostly by their compatriots
I regret to say. The application forms are very strict in this regard.  If
you say that you were given advice, and the person is not registered, your
application is returned, without the fee refund.
IF you say you were not given advice when in fact you were, the visa can be
cancelled on the basis of it containing an incorrect statement - ie you lied.
You are probably familiar with the case of Bill Liu from China currently before the
courts in NZ

[2] That being said, informal advice from families, of a non systematic nature
and not for a fee, is OK - ie we still have free speech :-)
Further, the complete Operations Manual for INZ is available on line. Its a
little daunting, but it contains the criteria that INZ case officers use for assessing
applications. Its well worth a read - in fact mandatory

[3] You are considering a <<chinese>> lady right?? be aware that all things chinese
are discussed at considerable length and in great detail in Mandarin before
the 'collective' arrives at a decision. Quite often this decision is wrong - ie
at variance with the INZ Ops manual. But it has been agreed on by people of the
Middle Kingdom, so it must be right. This is an introduction to what will become familiar
to you.. how to gently suggest that there might be a better alternative than what
she and her friends have decided, without anyone loosing face. If you do not yet
have vast reserves of patience, you soon will :-)

[4] The stats put out by INZ show the success rate from the DIY applicants was
about the same as those who use Immigration advisors. The latter may have less
straight forward cases, so the stats may be skewed, and some advisors use fear
to facilitate their  fee :-). So check the INZ website!!

[5] There are two hurdles - INZ overseas, and INZ here in NZ. My experience with INZ
in China was that it was a battle - the answer is No, now what was the question??.
One criteria they use is to preclude those who might become overstayers or who are not genuine.
( China is number 2 in the overstayer category. )
So INZ look for incentives that the applicant will return to China at the end of the visa.
This can include money in the bank ( eg $50K RMB for 6 months) a house and family in
china, or a substantial job which will  give them leave to visit NZ..

[6] If you are granted a visitors visa, you will need to demonstrate that she is a visitor.
I have heard of cases where the "visitor" married shortly after arrival, and was sent
back to China, because clearly the purpose of the trip was not to visit but to facilitate
an arranged  marriage ( INZ became aware of a large number of phillipinas who used
this option back last century.. the politicos told them to close the floodgates )
I arranged visits from Fox Glacier, to North cape, all photographed, to make it clear
that my lady was indeed a genuine tourist.

[7] There is a bit of a catch 22 regarding relationship as a ground for a visa - INZ
will only consider an application for residency if you have been together for 12 months or more
How to be together?? Either live as two in NZ or as two in China. If you are together for
6 months or more you can apply for a work visa on the basis of your relationship,
which will than allow you time to demonstrate that it is genuine , exclusive and likely to endure.
I have a friend who lives closeby. His lady was denied a visa on the grounds of risk of
becoming an overstayer. He left his job, went to live in China for 6 months, then gained
a work Visa for her )

[8] I should also add that INZ staff in NZ are generally helpful and professional, tho the
wait time for the help line can be very long. Again, if you staudy the Ops Manual first you
will be able to ask thoughtful questions, and hopefully get a thoughtful response .
You should also make sure you get the most up to date forms - ie the online PDFs
They change quite often..

If all this sounds a bit daunting, it is.  Brace yourself :-)
The upside is that I now have an absolute delight of a wife, who could not be happier
to have found her true LaGong...
Last night I cooked up a Shuan Yang Rou (Mongolian Lamb Firepot) tho the
lamb is from Southland :-), lit the fire and opened a bottle of lovely NZ Syrah...and..

We are both happy.. Its as good as it gets 

Peace
David K in Auckland
Nothing Real can be threatened; nothing unreal exists

Offline RobertBfrom aust

• Sujuan [Yo ] is my tai tai
  • Robert and Sujuan [Yo ] at home .
    • bopads.info
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2012, 12:08:53 am »
David K that is a terrific broadsheet on the N Z requirements , which I am sure will be helpful to many , regards Sujuan and Robert in Melbourne .
Now it is early to bed and late to rise .
My QQ is   1994376895
For electronics and books etc , check out , www.bopads.info

Offline David K

• Yan Wang xxxx
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2012, 03:53:45 am »
But wait... Theres more.. ;-)

Here's the URL for the INZ manual
http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migrant/general/generalinformation/operationalmanual/
And here's an URL about paying for Immigration advice
http://www.immigration.govt.nz/branch/BeijingBranchHome/immigrationadvice.htm

Plus the attached doc, re a visit on the basis of relationship, originally downloaded,
which I cannot now find on the Beijing website
Therein is the fishhook about the stature and duration of the relationship...
And also this useful summary, again which I cannot find on the current Beijing website..
..see P2 for a neat little flowchart....you could run this past your lady???

So thats the easy part..
The more challenging will be to establish a good working relationship with
your lady that will withstand the frosty eyed scrutiny of INZ china...
I understand you are in software, so you will already have the infinite capacity
to absorb being failed by a system devoid of emotion :-)

Good luck....
It can be done..
.. When the Gods smile on you, the rewards are great..

Peace
David K in Auckland

Offline kiwisteve

« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2012, 07:34:44 am »
David,

Thanks heaps mate, I will download those docs and do some reading over the next few days. I really appreciate the advice and what you and all the bros have done here on this site and I hope we can meet up one day when my lady is here.

cheers,
Steve

(I am in Auckland also)

Offline kiwisteve

« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2012, 08:28:38 am »
Hi David - just commenting on your detailed post:

[1] It is illegal ( fines/jail) for anyone to offer immigration advice to someone
applying for a NZ Visa of any sort, unless the advisor is qualified as an immigration
agent. This is to prevent untold ripoffs of applicants, mostly by their compatriots
I regret to say. The application forms are very strict in this regard.  If
you say that you were given advice, and the person is not registered, your
application is returned, without the fee refund.
IF you say you were not given advice when in fact you were, the visa can be
cancelled on the basis of it containing an incorrect statement - ie you lied.
You are probably familiar with the case of Bill Liu from China currently before the
courts in NZ

[2] That being said, informal advice from families, of a non systematic nature
and not for a fee, is OK - ie we still have free speech :-)
Further, the complete Operations Manual for INZ is available on line. Its a
little daunting, but it contains the criteria that INZ case officers use for assessing
applications. Its well worth a read - in fact mandatory
She has assured me they are a proper qualified company. Personally I don't see the point in paying someone to help fill out a couple of forms that seem straight forward to me, but then again she is a bit impatient and daunted by all the detail needed. I've got that Op Manual and am working through it now thanks.

[5] There are two hurdles - INZ overseas, and INZ here in NZ. My experience with INZ
in China was that it was a battle - the answer is No, now what was the question??.
One criteria they use is to preclude those who might become overstayers or who are not genuine.
( China is number 2 in the overstayer category. )
So INZ look for incentives that the applicant will return to China at the end of the visa.
This can include money in the bank ( eg $50K RMB for 6 months) a house and family in
china, or a substantial job which will  give them leave to visit NZ..
Yes she should have no problems satisfying these criteria.

[6] If you are granted a visitors visa, you will need to demonstrate that she is a visitor.
I have heard of cases where the "visitor" married shortly after arrival, and was sent
back to China, because clearly the purpose of the trip was not to visit but to facilitate
an arranged  marriage ( INZ became aware of a large number of phillipinas who used
this option back last century.. the politicos told them to close the floodgates )
I arranged visits from Fox Glacier, to North cape, all photographed, to make it clear
that my lady was indeed a genuine tourist.
Yes I will be showing her around as much as finances permit - I want her to be happy after all that this is where she wants to live.

[7] There is a bit of a catch 22 regarding relationship as a ground for a visa - INZ
will only consider an application for residency if you have been together for 12 months or more
How to be together?? Either live as two in NZ or as two in China. If you are together for
6 months or more you can apply for a work visa on the basis of your relationship,
which will than allow you time to demonstrate that it is genuine , exclusive and likely to endure.
I have a friend who lives closeby. His lady was denied a visa on the grounds of risk of
becoming an overstayer. He left his job, went to live in China for 6 months, then gained
a work Visa for her )
I can't see how this should matter for a visitor visa. If everything goes to plan then we won't even be applying for residency for another 15 months or more.

cheers,
Steve

Offline David K

• Yan Wang xxxx
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2012, 08:12:13 pm »
Hi Steve.. Looks like you've got all bases covered re your INZ learning curve...
And all the best with your relationship...
I've been quite touched with the brothers on this site. most of whom have
been severely singed previously, as they slowly learn to trust again

Peace
David K

Offline kiwisteve

« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2012, 04:36:45 am »
An update:

It took her another 6 weeks or so before her tourist visa application was finally submitted. I was getting more and more concerned as she never gave me any info or copies of her documentation despite me asking many times. I guess the visa company was requesting more and more info from her during that period.

Anyway, great news - she called the embassy yesterday and her visa has been approved. She has already bought tickets to fly here to visit me in October. We will have a month together. So now I've got to work extra hard so that I can justify taking time off work when she's here, and I've got to get the house ready for her, find out as much as I can from the local Chinese community so she can get the food and stuff she wants, as well as plan some sight-seeing trips for us around NZ, visiting family and friends and all that.

cheers,
Steve

Offline john1964

• finally together
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2012, 06:56:04 pm »
Congratulations Steve, October will soon be here and you will be together, Good luck, John.

Offline Willy The Londoner

• Beyond The Dream in China
  • Board Moderator
  • Hair today - gone tomorrow!!
« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2012, 10:50:10 pm »
Don't forget to buy a good quality Wok.  In a month that is going to do a lot of work. ;)

Willy
Willy The Lpndoner

Now in my 12th year living here,

Offline john1964

• finally together
« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2012, 11:33:48 pm »
I agree Willy, I brought a lesser quality wok and it already is in need of replacement after 4 months of use  ;D John.

Offline Willy The Londoner

• Beyond The Dream in China
  • Board Moderator
  • Hair today - gone tomorrow!!
« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2012, 03:22:25 am »
size matters!!!  and also quality.  I am sure they also use it for babies bath as well.   ;D

Willy

Willy The Lpndoner

Now in my 12th year living here,

Offline shaun

« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2012, 08:08:24 am »
The first time I visited Peggy's mother I saw a huge wok in the kitchen and I asked her if it was for misbehaving son-in-laws.  After much laughter from the three women in there the answer was yes.