Author Topic: Visa help from her friend  (Read 10032 times)

Offline kiwisteve

Visa help from her friend
« on: May 22, 2012, 06:00:07 am »
Anna has agreed to come here to NZ for a holiday and to meet my family. Firstly she is getting a passport, and has gone to start that today, but I haven't heard back so far.

The other day she was talking about a friend who is a visa "agent" who is helping her to get a visitor visa. I was sceptical and said the forms are all online, and it is straight forward so we can do it ourselves. Her friend's fee was 3000 RMB and I am not sure if that includes all the incidental fees. I said it would only cost us 1060 RMB if we did it ourselves. She came back with her friend doing it for 2000 and pointed out that it would save her a trip to Beijing (from Chengdu). I am really sceptical, but it is her decision and she does seem to have all sorts of contacts for everything. She is very smart.

Her friend says I need to supply a letter of invitation saying where she is staying who is paying for her travel and accommodation etc. I have no problem doing this, but in the visa application forms I read this was not necessary. So I am wondering if this person really knows what they are doing. Maybe they are going by standard forms necessary for other countries. There was a specific form online for a sponsor, but this has different information requirements than what the agent was asking for.

Any ideas?

Steve

Arnold

Re: Visa help from her friend
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2012, 06:11:27 am »
A letter of Invitation is definitely needed for the US, along with Tax Records .. Employment Proof .. Proof of Citizenship .. ect. Cost for us was $150 with a Lawyer and that didn't sound too bad.

Offline john1964

• finally together
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2012, 06:25:42 am »
Steve if your partner is a applying for a visitors visa then it may be the same as the Australian requirements,She must know you inside-out and will be asked many questions about you and must also show that she has commitments in China to show strong reason to return and not take flight and not return to China, Remember, Everything about you including things like your email address and family names and ages, And yes i had to provide a letter of invitation and tax return records too, John.

Offline Jason B

• Xia and Laura the most beautiful girls in the world
  • Xia - guardian of my heart.
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2012, 07:15:52 pm »
Steve, as John mentioned everything is in the Australian requirements section on here.  As NZ is our little brother I can not see there being much different paperwork wise.  A letter of invitation, group certificates as apposed to tax returns and Do NOT forget or underestimate the questions about your family life etc.  these are important and I know of people who have all the boxes ticked and have failed this last hurdle and been denied a tourist visa.  Email the question and answers to her so she can have them ready when they ring, I am not saying that she may not know them but in the heat of battle she may get confused and to have them ready is to be forewarned.  As for the friend doing the paperwork I do not know, I completely understand what you are saying about them being straight forward.  My wife and I did all our own paperwork and everything was fine.  Good luck and I am enjoying reading your story too.
I WILL have my revenge for having to be clean shaven......once I learn how to tame my Dragon.

Offline kiwisteve

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2012, 08:01:08 am »
Thanks guys.

I have sent a draft letter of invitation (even though it is not required for a tourist visa to NZ as far as I can tell), along with a copy of my passport etc. I'm waiting to hear back from her friend as to whether they need financial statements.

I have been trying to get her details and her family's names for a long time. It doesn't seem a priority for her - everyone is just called older brother or girlfriend, or nephew - names don't seem to be so important. Even after spending several days with one of her brothers in China, it wasn't until after I returned home that I actually learned his name. I still don't know the other brother's name - haha. I hope she is doing better with my family. I will send her all the info I can think of just in case.

cheers,
Steve

Vince G

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2012, 09:44:24 am »
Steve, I would be a little more careful with who I'm sending my financial statements or any other personal info to. I don't see why they would need YOUR financial statements for a Tourist Visa? You get spun into the whirlwind of hope and feelings meanwhile they pick you pocket (or bank account?). Don't send info not needed especially to someone you don't even know.

Offline Neil

• happily married, working on immigration
  • Zhangping, Fujian bound.
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2012, 06:29:03 pm »
If he's going to vouch for her financially while she is visiting, he has to prove he can support her.  http://www.vfs-canada.com.cn/pdf/PRV_211211.pdf is a list of things the chinese consulate in Hong Kong requires for a Canadian temporary visa.  Specifically the last part:

Proof of inviter’s income and financial situation in the form of
independent, third-party documentation from a Canadian source
which is reliable or easily verifiable. For example, but not
limited to: Canada Revenue Agency Notice of Assessments
[NOA], employment letters showing salary, pay stubs, banks
statements, Statements of Remuneration Paid or financial
statements prepared by a licensed professional.
...as irresistible as chocolate

Vince G

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2012, 06:45:51 pm »
If he's going to vouch for her financially while she is visiting, he has to prove he can support her.

Never heard of such nonsense. Why would he need to "vouch for her financially" or "prove he can support her"? she's visiting not moving there? or staying for work.

btw the link you gave is for "Checklist for Private Visitor Temporary Resident Visa Application" key word, Resident. Tourist & Temporary Resident can not be the same thing (visa)?
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 06:53:29 pm by Vince G »

Offline Martin

• Board Moderator
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2012, 07:32:19 pm »
Vince, its actually not that unusual.  I know of another country that requires proof of finances when going there on a tourist visa.

Vince G

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2012, 09:22:40 pm »
Well it's not the US?

The B1 visa is designated for temporary business travel, including travel for negotiating contracts, attending exhibitions and conferences, short-term training, and consultations with suppliers and customers, etc.

The B2 visa is designated for tourist activities, such as sightseeing, visiting friends and relatives, obtaining medical treatment, etc. The B1 and B2 visas are not valid for employment in the United States.

All B1/B2 applicants should prepare to present the following documentation and any other relevant information at the time of the interview:

Valid Passport: B1/B2 visa applicants must have passports valid for six months beyond their intended period of stay in the United States. If your passport will expire less than 6 months from the date you plan to leave the United States, or is damaged, or you do not have a page for a visa, please get a new passport before your interview.

One Photograph: Two inches square color photograph, less than 6 months old, against a white background, full frontal view. The photo should be glued to the printed DS-160 confirmation page. Click for more information on photo requirements.

Original Bank Receipt for Application Fee: The application fee may be paid at any CITIC Bank branch in China.

Completed Visa Application Forms: DS-160 online application form.

Evidence of Why You Will Return to China: Please present proof of economic, social, family, or other commitments that will help demonstrate that you intend to return to China after a temporary stay in the United States.  Evidence can vary depending on the applicant’s personal situation. The following are mere suggestions that may help the consular officer to assess your intentions to return to China.  This is not an exhaustive list of what applicants should present at their interview: Hukou Registration, ID card, proof of employment, pay statement that shows regular monthly salary, and bank books with regular deposits and withdrawals.

Invitation Letter: If you are invited to visit someone in the United States, provide information about who is inviting you, purpose of travel, and planned itinerary or schedule. No invitation letter is needed if you are only sightseeing in the United States.

If Traveling for Business: Bring specific information about where you will go, who you will meet, what you will discuss, and what products you plan to buy in the United States. The following documents may be helpful: detailed letters from U.S. business partners indicating the purpose of the trip; copies of contracts or other agreements with U.S. business partners; and information on machines, software or other equipment to be examined, tested or purchased in the United Sates, such as brochures or product catalogues.

If Going to Visit Family: You should provide proof that you have a genuine, ongoing relationship with the person inviting you, and provide information about his/her immigration status in the United States. The following documentation may be helpful: Hukou registration or other proof of genuine family relationship, photos with the U.S. family members in recent years, copy of his/her U.S. passport or green card, copy of his/her passport and U.S. visas, etc. If you previously stayed in the United States longer than the period given on your I-94 form at the U.S. port of entry, you should present the original letter of extension issued by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security.

Offline Neil

• happily married, working on immigration
  • Zhangping, Fujian bound.
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2012, 10:07:26 pm »
It's actually quite common to date a woman that is not your financial equal.  It must be nice to date all those rich girls that come to visit you.

Canada does not have a "tourist visa".  It's called a temporary resident visa.  Welcome to the rest of the world Vince. 

...as irresistible as chocolate

Vince G

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2012, 10:46:04 pm »
I feel bad for you guys up there in Canada but Kiwisteve is in New Zealand. Is that also a temporary resident visa? Doesn't seem right being this way.

Offline Willy The Londoner

• Beyond The Dream in China
  • Board Moderator
  • Hair today - gone tomorrow!!
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2012, 01:39:10 am »

I have been trying to get her details and her family's names for a long time. It doesn't seem a priority for her - everyone is just called older brother or girlfriend, or nephew - names don't seem to be so important. Even after spending several days with one of her brothers in China, it wasn't until after I returned home that I actually learned his name. I still don't know the other brother's name - haha. I hope she is doing better with my family. I will send her all the info I can think of just in case.

I have been married two and half years and my wifes two older sisters are still called big elder sister and small elder sisters.  I have no idea of their names.  This is fairly common here. 

Also when I took my wife to the uk in September 2009 we had to supply proof of the money she had available herself in banks. 

We are shortly going for another visa soon so will find out what requirements are needed for second visitors visa.

Willy
Willy The Lpndoner

Now in my 12th year living here,

Offline john1964

• finally together
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2012, 02:43:01 am »
Hi Vince, When my wife applied for her passport, She was asked why she wanted one,She replied to visit me here in Australia and she was asked to supply my last 3 tax returns,??? , I was a bit confused at this request but supplied them, I was also asked to supply them along with financial statements when we applied for the tourist visa, John.

Offline Jason B

• Xia and Laura the most beautiful girls in the world
  • Xia - guardian of my heart.
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2012, 04:15:22 am »
Vince, I think you may have missed the point.  It is not to provide your bank details, it is evidence that the person applying as the sponsor fot the person visiting has funds to support the visit, or has some form of employment, hence the tax group certificate.  This is because on their visit you are their sponsor and are therefore responsible for them during their visit.  Sometimes a little unfair but that is the law.  As far as I am aware it only applies to countries like China etc. where there can be a suspicion of the person not returning or where the exchange rate for their currency may not be that great.  There is nothing under normal Australian rules that I am aware of, but so many come here from Asian countries under a tourist visa and work, which is illegal under a tourist visa.  It just another immigration tool use to try and stop this.  So in the end it is best to supply what they want and a little more to get a favourable outcome.

I even had to supply some details when we sponsored Xia's mum to come here for a visit when she had the baby.  I hope this clears up any misunderstandings. 
I WILL have my revenge for having to be clean shaven......once I learn how to tame my Dragon.