Author Topic: Visa help from her friend  (Read 10031 times)

Offline Jason B

• Xia and Laura the most beautiful girls in the world
  • Xia - guardian of my heart.
Re: Visa help from her friend
« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2012, 10:36:57 pm »
Congrats on the visa Steve, time will drag upto October for you and will fly through to November in the blink of an eye....like most here been there done that........where did all the time go???  But it will all be worth it...make sure you keep some evidence for your case file of her trip, little things like going to view furniture or such...so the consulate can see you both made some plans together there for the future..just a thought.

I am sure they also use it for babies bath as well.   ;D

I banned Xia from using ours for a baby bath......sure she needs to be clean but I also need to eat.......so I bought her a babies bath, atleast she can not cook with it....... ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: August 12, 2012, 10:40:07 pm by Jason B »
I WILL have my revenge for having to be clean shaven......once I learn how to tame my Dragon.

Offline David K

• Yan Wang xxxx
« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2012, 11:38:41 pm »
Well done Steve..
However, this is but the beginning of a steepish learning curve.
Again, I mention the usefulness of patience, particularly as she is dealing through a china based immigration advisor 

[1] You may have read recently that some 300 Chinese students in NZ were discovered to have made visa application
that were fraudulent ( dodgy qualifications,  forged baank statements) that were traced back to two Beijing based
immigration agencies. Agencies are now required to be registered with INZ, mostly as a protection against
vulnerable immigrants being ripped off by their compatriots.  Further, of the 7500 students visa applications from India
over half had some element of fraud present.  Caveat emptor!

[2] You have been given a one month Visa. What they don't tell you is that the process of application for an extention of
a visa can take over a month, so applying for an extention should be a priority. We didn't know this and had a period when
my wife was in the country illegally while the extention was being processed. This has been somewhat fixed
by the process of an interim visa to cover that processing period gap. Check with INZ - she should have a case number
if her visitors visa has been approved!

[3] How you handle it is up to you, but I strongly suggest that future visa extentions should come from you in NZ.
INZ inside NZ are quite civilised as long as you obey the rules. Overseas office are an entirely different matter in my experience.
Being able to respond promptly in English to any concerns they may have make life a LOT easier.
Guess this will be part of the early tests of how your relationship unfolds ;D

[4] Going round NZ is  a great Idea - Ive attached some Pics of our trip.
Suggest you take pics aplenty, as it establishes that she is a visitor, and builds up a profile of your developing relationship
should you decide to make it permanent.
INZ will consider an application for a work visa for your lady if you can convince them you have been in a genuine
relationship for 6 months or so, and intend to apply for residence later- so you will need those visitor visa extentions

[5] You will have no troubles finding Asian food suppliers aplenty (e.g China Town, Ti Rakau Drive )
Best thing is to clear a couple of shelves completely, and then take her shopping so she can select what she wants
in these shelves. Chinese ladies tend to be very particular;  one brand of Soya sauce is excellent, another apparently
identical, mediocre. We pakehas have no way of telling which is which, and it is wise not to reveal one
ignorance in these matters  too soon  ;)
In fact I would caution against going overboard on Chinese cuisine, and establishing a balance with european
foods. I noticed that every third word on China TV/ Radio was Chungoa and there seems to be a campaign
to stress the correctness of all things chinese, and the cultural inferiority of 'other'  Could be a overcompensation
for the opium wars / boxer rebellion / great leap forward - I don't know.
But meeting in the middle is a good strategy, and not just for the family bed  ;)
Certainly I had to establish that just because it was 'chinese' did not neccesarily make it 'right'

You may also find the same thing with chinese medicine- My wife wanted a treatment that consisted
of black funguses, tree bark and accupressure. I was able to demonstrate that antibiotics (
freely available over the counter in CHina)  did the trick a lot better

[6] While the first flush of  new relationship is a wondrous thing, be aware that you are not entering into
a relationship with a girl, but with a family. There is a whole matrix of obligations and traditions
that you are expected to understand, although not neccesarily to accept.
Let me give you an example:
I fought a long and hard battle with Immigration re Yan, and finally prevailed. I ended up with a wife
whose sensitivity and devotion ( and beauty) are beyond anything I could have wished for.
However, she has a 21 Year old son in China, and she wanted him to have the benefits of life in NZ as well.
So I applied for residency for him as well, and after but a few hiccups, this was granted.
He turned up at the airport, a strapping 6' 100 Kg build. But it was very soon that I discovered
that inside, there was a demanding, dependant 12 year old, who had always had everything done for him
( 2 doting grandparents, in this case 1 doting mother) and he assumes that this is his entitlement.
He also has a huge appetite  - see this clip    
www.youtube.com/watch?v=52azqInBO64

Apparently this phenomenon is not uncommon - the local schools, who have a lot of fee paying
chinese students call it "the little prince syndrome".  So I have been landed with the job of
turning a spoilt boy into a man, with all the considerable strains it puts on our marriage..
So I would check out this sort of potential hand grenande early on in the piece.

[7] Be also aware that the family system is also a banking system. Brothers and cousins lend
where there is a need, but the obligation to repay is solid. Also there is the obligations to support
parents in their old age. So I'm helping to square off old ( and unannounced) debts which were not
mentioned until after marriage...

Thats it from Me  ;D
I'm sure all will go well for you, but help from those who have been
down the path, and perchance fallen into a few of the potholes, is what this forum is about

Go Well
Peace
David K in Auckland
Nothing Real can be threatened; nothing unreal exists

Offline David K

• Yan Wang xxxx
« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2012, 11:48:44 pm »
Actually, slightly wrong Youtube clip
Heres a better one
WWT Slimbridge: Juvenile cuckoo being fed by reed warblers

But you get the drift :-)

Offline kiwisteve

« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2012, 10:06:21 pm »
Thanks for all the info guys. I live in a small apartment right now with an electric stove, so I don't know about the wok. When she gets here I'll check out getting a gas burner or something if she needs it. Good idea about getting pics of us shopping together for the files.

The 1 month visit is all the time she can get from her job at this stage, so I don't think we'll be applying for an extension. If she comes over again next year wouldn't it be a whole new application? I thought from reading the docs that her visa applications had to be made in China. I would much rather do it from here if at all possible.

Anna has a 15 year old daughter, so we will eventually apply for them both to come here, but that is further down the track. Her daughter is already very independent (she boards at school during the week) and is often cooking the meals for them both. She speaks no English unlike her younger cousin who converses well, so she'll need to improve that before coming to school here.

cheers,
Steve

Offline Willy The Londoner

• Beyond The Dream in China
  • Board Moderator
  • Hair today - gone tomorrow!!
« Reply #34 on: August 14, 2012, 07:12:36 pm »
Not wanting to put a spanner in the works but maybe Anna will no longer be of school age by the time her application gets granted!!!!

A Wok is the most important thing. When my wife goes to the with me we have a problem finding her food that she is used to.  Western Chinese food is not to her taste.     That is why we only stay for 10 days a time otherwise her 95 lbs would shrink to nothing.!!!

They have small electric plates to cook on here here so electric is no problem but a wok is essential if you want her to feel at home. 

Willy

Willy The Lpndoner

Now in my 12th year living here,

Offline David K

• Yan Wang xxxx
« Reply #35 on: August 14, 2012, 11:05:43 pm »
Hi Steve
[1] Each Visitor visa application, or application for a visa extention is considered a completely new application, together repeat paperwork and a repeat fee  :(
The reason given is that circumstances may change between applications...  Check the INZ Website

[2] To be considered for residence on the basis of a relationship, you actually have to be living together for 12 months or more in an exclusive and stable
relationship likely to endure - although there is the possibility of a temporary visa on the basis of your relationship -
see http://www.immigration.govt.nz/NR/rdonlyres/04C0685F-1088-4ECE-B5A7-D6E1183B983F/0/INZ119930July2012.pdf

[3] I gained residency for my wifes son as a dependent student 18-24yo. About 6 months after we applied, they removed this category of applicant-
and there are now more complex requirements, which you will have to balance in with requirement [2]  - see http://www.dol.govt.nz/immigration/knowledgebase/item/1176

Happy planning and Good luck :-)