Author Topic: Obamagration and how it effects legal residents and citizens in the U.S.  (Read 12175 times)

Offline Robertt S

• Georgia***Shandong
  • Administrator
  • Too Old for Instagram and Too Young for Life-Alert
Obama's move on immigration is an unconstitutional disaster for the unemployed
By Roy Beck

Published June 15, 2012

FoxNews.com

President Obama thwarted the will of Congress and shunned the 20 million under-employed and unemployed Americans by announcing he will grant work permits to 2 million to 3 million illegal immigrants.

This appears to be an unconstitutional fiat that not only usurps congressional authority to set immigration policy but directly contradicts what Congress has already decided. The president suggests that his new policy is designed to enact as much of the DREAM Act amnesty as possible because Congress hasn't acted on its own. But Congress indeed has acted -- three times in votes that rejected granting these illegal aliens the legal residency and work permits that the president now says he will deal out all by himself.

This is a knee-jerk response to pro-amnesty interest groups that have attacked Mr. Obama with an intense, well-funded public relations campaign urging him essentially to nullify congressional immigration laws because supporters of amnesty know that the elected representatives of the American people won't approve amnesties any more. Until today, the president had said that he couldn't just overturn immigration laws on his own. His capitulation may provide a short-term political payoff among some special interest groups but in the long term will feed the perception that he is much more interested in currying favor among narrow interest groups than addressing the needs of the massive ranks of the unemployed.

The unavoidable fact is that Mr. Obama's announced executive amnesty will increase the supply of legal workers to compete for jobs with the 20 million Americans who can't find a job or have been forced into part-time work. The president may think he can repeal the laws of Congress but he can't repeal the law of supply and demand.

And the increase in the labor supply will not be small. Most news reports at first suggested that around 800,000 illegal aliens would benefit from the president's offer of job permits. But that is a misinterpretation of estimates in 2010 about the effect of the DREAM Act amnesty that the lame duck Senate defeated. There were nearly 2 million illegal aliens who could qualify for the provisional part of the amnesty because they were in high school, in college or had already graduated from college. But only about 800,000 were expected to actually end up as college graduates and qualify for the permanent amnesty. Because the new Obama amnesty would not require college graduation, the 800,000 figure is no longer valid. All 2 million would qualify. In addition, the Obama amnesty would not require a person to even go to college which would add hundreds of thousands more illegal aliens to the beneficiary list.

When the president announced his new more lenient directive last summer for people who would have benefited from the DREAM amnesty, he was skating close to the legal line but probably not over it because Congress indeed has given presidents prosecutorial discretion in whether to go through the effort to deport an illegal immigrant. It also has given presidents the ability to provide temporary work permits to illegal aliens in special circumstances.

But President Obama has moved into frightening new territory with his new announcement because he has taken discretion away from his law enforcement agents and now appears to require them to grant this presence amnesty and jobs amnesty in massive numbers never intended or anticipated by Congress. And it is the jobs promise that is the most insulting and insensitive to the most vulnerable members of our national community.

The most vulnerable Americans are disproportionately black and Hispanic Americans, two voting blocs the president is counting on for his re-election. Yet, these two groups with exceptionally high unemployment among young adults are the ones who will have to compete most directly with the millions of illegal aliens that the president intends to add to the labor force.

What Mr. Obama – and all the Members of Congress proposing their own versions of a DREAM amnesty -- miss is that young illegal aliens aren't the only ones having a hard time. The country is full of American victims of this economy. The latter should not be re-victimized by efforts to help the former.

The Republican leadership in Congress may bear considerable responsibility for Mr. Obama's latest power grab. It has stood by terrified to tackle immigration priorities the last two years.. Speaker John Boehner and his team are currently center stage in blocking a mandatory E-Verify bill that would provide employment for millions of Americans by moving illegal immigrants from the very construction, hospitality, manufacturing, service and transportation jobs sought by most unemployed U.S. citizens and legal immigrants. Republican leaders have allowed Pres. Obama to ignore and modify congressional immigration laws so consistently that it isn't surprising that he thinks he can get by with this huge new executive amnesty. Perhaps this latest pandering by the president will finally move them to action to stand up for the 20 million Americans who can't find a full-time job.

Roy Beck is the founder and president of NumbersUSA.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.c...k#ixzz1y1FVWE2y

Offline David E

• David and Ming
  • Board Moderator
  • My favourite photo
One small issue that interest me in this debate (we are having a similar debate in Aus at this time over the granting of permission to certain Mining Magnates to inport thousands of workers on 457 (temp. worker) visas).......................

Of the 2 or 3 million illegal aliens who will benefit by this amnesty, how many are actually sitting around doing nothing vs how many are actually working (albeit illegally) in the paid work-force.

Could it be that this "legitimised" workforce will carry on just as before with minimum impact on the existing employment levels ???
Conversely, if they are all just sitting around doing nothing, with no support or welfare...then how do they live/ eat at the moment ???

Scare mongering is all very well when coming from opposing interest groups...but what are thye facts.

The issue in Aus is not so clear cut, because we virtually have no unemployment and Business is actually facing a severe shortage of workers. Forget all you read about the Mining Industry seducing workers away with huge wages, this Industry employs less than 4 % of the workforce...it is the bog-standard Industry sectors in retail and services that are suffering the shortages...and these cannot be filled with temporary migrants who cant speak decent English...

Catch 22

Offline Willy The Londoner

• Beyond The Dream in China
  • Board Moderator
  • Hair today - gone tomorrow!!
I think it is just a trick to get all the illegals to come forward.  They are not being promised citizenship and they will be re assessed in two years time. 

Willy
Willy The Lpndoner

Now in my 12th year living here,

Offline Robertt S

• Georgia***Shandong
  • Administrator
I think it is just a trick to get all the illegals to come forward.  They are not being promised citizenship and they will be re assessed in two years time. 

Willy

Willy,  I think it is a trick too! I think this is his way of buying the Hispanic vote here for the upcoming election.

Offline shaun

Robert you hit the nail right on the head.  He had to do something because he was losing the hispanic vote.  I have been reading about it in the newspapers. 

When La Raza begin talking about the lack of new immigration laws and their disappointment with Obama's talk you know the hispanic people are listening.

May 2010 Mr. Obama promised the hispanic people in a speech in El Paso, Texas that he knew that our immigration process was broke and that he would put together a think tank to find a way to make it better and productive.  He hasn't done anything which is exactly what I expected him to do.  Now he needs to find a new empty promise. i.e. amnesty to 30 years old and under.

Vince G

Propaganda alive and well in the media. As in religion, I am not political nor democratic or republican so don't start editing this post.

Here are the facts. This started with a girl in school right here in Miami that much like Obama's speech, the girl came to this country at a young age (2-3?) with her parents. I think recent (last year) her parents were deported? She is top of her class (valedictorian) and was a few months from graduating when she was told she was being deported. In trying to get help so she could graduate it lead all the way to the President in which she recently did graduate last week.

He seeing this is a problem that keeps getting pushed aside along with other proposals only for the reason to make him look bad, he took it upon himself to get something done for the others like that girl. It is not for every immigrate and it's not a free pass. It's just gives these kids leeway to finish their education. 
« Last Edit: June 18, 2012, 07:39:21 am by Vince G »

Offline Willy The Londoner

• Beyond The Dream in China
  • Board Moderator
  • Hair today - gone tomorrow!!

Willy

Willy,  I think it is a trick too! I think this is his way of buying the Hispanic vote here for the upcoming election.

I wrote and told him to let in Chinese Wives as well then he could rely on at least one or two more votes from here.

Willy
Willy The Lpndoner

Now in my 12th year living here,

Offline shaun

I wrote him the same letter.  I think he thought I was lying...  I was.  >:(

But then again he thinks America needs to be a 3rd world nation that our superiority has been bad for the world.

I fear that very sad times are ahead of us in America if something does not change.  (Please note I am not trying to get political.  If I we to expand on this statement it would be political.)
« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 08:45:50 am by shaun »

Vince G

Just making a point here with people jumping on the knock the President bandwagon.

New Asian immigrants to US now surpass Hispanics

http://news.yahoo.com/asian-immigrants-us-now-surpass-hispanics-041526805.html

WASHINGTON (AP) — For the first time, the influx of Asians moving to the U.S. has surpassed that of Hispanics, reflecting a slowdown in illegal immigration while American employers increase their demand for high-skilled workers.

An expansive study by the Pew Research Center details what it describes as "the rise of Asian-Americans," a highly diverse and fast-growing group making up nearly 6 percent of the U.S. population. Mostly foreign-born and naturalized citizens, their numbers have been boosted by increases in visas granted to specialized workers and to wealthy investors as the U.S. economy becomes driven less by manufacturing and more by technology.

"Too often the policy debates on immigration fixate on just one part — illegal immigration," said Karthick Ramakrishnan, a political science professor at the University of California-Riverside and a fellow at the Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars. "U.S. immigration is more diverse and broader than that, with policy that needs to focus also on high-skilled workers." "With net migration from Mexico now at zero, the role of Asian-Americans has become more important," he said.

About 430,000 Asians, or 36 percent of all new immigrants, arrived in the U.S. in 2010, according to the latest census data. That's compared to about 370,000, or 31 percent, who were Hispanic.

The Pew analysis, released Tuesday, said the tipping point for Asian immigrants likely occurred during 2009 as illegal immigrants crossing the border from Mexico sharply declined due to increased immigration enforcement and a dwindling supply of low-wage work in the weak U.S. economy. Many Mexicans already in the U.S. have also been heading back to their country, putting recent net migration at a standstill.

As recently as 2007, about 390,000 of new immigrants to the U.S. were Asian, compared to 540,000 who were Hispanic.

The shift to increased Asian immigration, particularly of people from India, China and South Korea, coincides with changes in U.S. immigration policy dating to the 1990s that began to favor wealthy and educated workers.

Offline Robertt S

• Georgia***Shandong
  • Administrator
Just making a point here with people jumping on the knock the President bandwagon.

New Asian immigrants to US now surpass Hispanics

http://news.yahoo.com/asian-immigrants-us-now-surpass-hispanics-041526805.html

WASHINGTON (AP) — For the first time, the influx of Asians moving to the U.S. has surpassed that of Hispanics, reflecting a slowdown in illegal immigration while American employers increase their demand for high-skilled workers.

An expansive study by the Pew Research Center details what it describes as "the rise of Asian-Americans," a highly diverse and fast-growing group making up nearly 6 percent of the U.S. population. Mostly foreign-born and naturalized citizens, their numbers have been boosted by increases in visas granted to specialized workers and to wealthy investors as the U.S. economy becomes driven less by manufacturing and more by technology.

"Too often the policy debates on immigration fixate on just one part — illegal immigration," said Karthick Ramakrishnan, a political science professor at the University of California-Riverside and a fellow at the Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars. "U.S. immigration is more diverse and broader than that, with policy that needs to focus also on high-skilled workers." "With net migration from Mexico now at zero, the role of Asian-Americans has become more important," he said.

About 430,000 Asians, or 36 percent of all new immigrants, arrived in the U.S. in 2010, according to the latest census data. That's compared to about 370,000, or 31 percent, who were Hispanic.

The Pew analysis, released Tuesday, said the tipping point for Asian immigrants likely occurred during 2009 as illegal immigrants crossing the border from Mexico sharply declined due to increased immigration enforcement and a dwindling supply of low-wage work in the weak U.S. economy. Many Mexicans already in the U.S. have also been heading back to their country, putting recent net migration at a standstill.

As recently as 2007, about 390,000 of new immigrants to the U.S. were Asian, compared to 540,000 who were Hispanic.

The shift to increased Asian immigration, particularly of people from India, China and South Korea, coincides with changes in U.S. immigration policy dating to the 1990s that began to favor wealthy and educated workers.

That is comparing apples to oranges, they are trying to use the legal immigration numbers of Asians to convince people that illegal immigration numbers of Hispanics is shrinking.

Offline maxx

I don't know who wrote the article Vince posted.Or what part of the United States they live in.But this person has got his facts all wrong.If nothing else.The illegal immigrants from Mexico has tripled in the last few years.It has gotton so bad in New Mexico.That the Mexicans from Mexico out number the Native Americans by at least 2 to 1 now.

If you doubt my post.We can go set on the border and watch.The illegals coming across the border.These Mexicans have no fear of border patrol or the fences.That we have installed along the border.As far as low paying jobs.That is a bunch of bull sh*t.I know some illegal immigrants that make better money then most of us on this forum.And have better benefits.

Offline David E

• David and Ming
  • Board Moderator
  • My favourite photo
Maxx

You can always bet your last dollar that anything funded/published with any reference to the Pew Group is so full of half-truths, misleading information and just plain lies !!!

This lot are DANGEROUS and have a very clear agenda that is totally anti-social and anti- mainstream.

They have just conned our idiot Prime Minister to close down 80 % of our fisheries areas to commercial and recreational fishing....on the basis that it will assist sustainability.

Meanwhile, umpteen fishermen are without a license, us normal folks cant chuck a line in the Ocean to catch our dinner, yet the Foreign long-liners have been granted licenses to operate off our coastline...

Scary stuff

Vince G

The link is there if anyone wants to see the full article. It says AP so it's from the Associated Press.

Offline maxx

David it sounds like your prime minister and are president went to the same school.Or read the same books.Support foreign interest.And to hell with There own citizens.Thees schmucks are so power hungry and greedy.That they can't see what they are doing to there own people.What ever happend to taking care of are own people first.

Offline David E

• David and Ming
  • Board Moderator
  • My favourite photo
er...Maxx, we are talking Politicians here......last thing on their minds are us poor shmucks who put them there...they are too busy with self-aggrandisement and the Perks and Trappings of Office.....they have totally lost touch with reality. Meanwhile, we have no choice but to live it !!!

Come the revolution...lampost job I think !!!!!!