Author Topic: My search  (Read 62028 times)

Offline Willy The Londoner

• Beyond The Dream in China
  • Board Moderator
  • Hair today - gone tomorrow!!
Re: My search
« Reply #225 on: November 26, 2013, 09:16:36 am »

Now her daughter has an account and we wire transfer money for her daughter every other month.
I prefer to send money 6 times a year, rather than 12 times a year because of the fees involved.

Mike

As Mike said, this is the simplest way.  I have to do the transfer from my London bank to here every month because if I wanted to send over $7500 at any one time I would need to be at my bank in London in person to do that so I keep it just below that figure. But unless you are going in for that kind of amount then every two months will be more cost effective.

Just remember there is a limit of $50,000 us dollars that can be exchanged through through an account at the Chinese bank in any one year.

Willy
Willy The Lpndoner

Now in my 12th year living here,

Offline JustJim

« Reply #226 on: November 26, 2013, 09:29:25 am »
Thanks for the advice guys.

Mei is pretty modern and has her own money.  She has not asked me for anything...hold on , that is not true.  She asked me if I could buy calcium supplements for her daughter.   

I know we joke about the women - I am pretty sure fivetrout is tongue in cheek about his gal - but my gal has a job, has an apartment, is not materialistic and is really in this relationship because of the aforementioned difficulty in finding a loving relationship that a Chinese woman of her age and with two girls faces over there.  Hey, those men want what they want !  That leaves a very fine woman available for me to come along and to fall in love with.

Mike, I will talk to her about a joint account - if only for the "show" of it.  And when I go back again I might transfer money that I will need.  I think this will be my most expensive trip of them all.  Rings, wedding dinner, honeymoon - it is all adding up - but I know I am not spending all that much.  We have a simple lifestyle in common.

I am looking forward to spending almost the whole month with her.  And I am trying to let go of worrying about my place here in the US.  I have rentals that I am responsible for.  I am sure they will be fine without me and I have put one of my tenants in charge of making sure everything runs smoothly.  This is just me worrying.  I have never been away for so long.

I am sure that I will write more when I am there.  Last time I felt that I missed conversing in English - and this was my outlet.  I think I have all the paperwork I will need - single certificate, divorce papers, ID, passport, birth certificate, Chinese visa.   I cannot think of anything else.

Maxx - you are probably right.  But I am going through Robertt and as long as I am taking the lead I think that she is fine with me sorting out all the details and the like.  She has attitude, but she does defer to me when she feels that she can trust me to get the job done.  I think we will take that trip to the consulate - if just to see where it is - but Robertt warned me about all the "businesses" willing to take my money for empty promises of helping us to get a visa.  Her sister in law went through the process and Mei can talk with Robertt's wife, or maybe some other wives here to sort out the good from the bad.

Ok Willy, I will try not to send more than $50,000.   ;D ;D

Anyways I am very excited, and I can't thank you all enough.  I would be nowhere if I had to do this all myself.

Bye bye
Jim

Offline RobertBfrom aust

• Sujuan [Yo ] is my tai tai
  • Robert and Sujuan [Yo ] at home .
    • bopads.info
« Reply #227 on: November 26, 2013, 10:01:45 am »
Jim , just a thought , any money that you wish to exchange make sure it is NEW and not even folded , banks do not look favourably on worn or dog-eared notes , my other half or should I say boss ha ha has an Australian separate bank debit card and we just transfer money into that when she  goes back to Shenyang she just heads up to a local ATM and grabs out what she requires , oh and we have told our bank that withdrawals from this account will only be done from China and have had no problems , regards Sujuan and Robert .
Now it is early to bed and late to rise .
My QQ is   1994376895
For electronics and books etc , check out , www.bopads.info

• Board Moderator
« Reply #228 on: November 26, 2013, 08:02:32 pm »
I have lost faith in ATMs  and have not used one more than a year now.  One at a Bank of China closed down 3/4  way through a transaction and told me to use another ATM. There was not another available So we did our shopping and went back later and then took out 2500 rmb. Without a problem - that was until I checked my account online two days later and found two payments for 2500 had been taken the same day.

So I contacted my bank they cancelled the second payment out and all was well again for four months until one day I saw the 2500rmb had been deducted again.  I again spoke to my bank and was informed that the B of C had done a check and everything balanced up ok so the money had been paid twice that day and I had no way of proving different

No point in arguing any more as it was only 2500 rmb and I consoled myself to believe that some really old widow had gone to the machine when it restarted to get out her last 100 rmb and found a bonus awaiting her!   Well unlikely but it satisfied my mind but also made me pledge never to use an ATM again!

Plus the cost of using the ATM to draw out 50,000 rmbs would come to about 1200 rmb. To get that amount tranfered by wire transfer (why do they still call it 'wire' transfer) cost just 200 rmb.

I  also had a previous ATM swallowed up my card and it took six days before it was available to collect it from another bank branch the other side of the city. So if you do intend to use ATM's always have at least two cards with you.

Willy
Willy The Lpndoner

Offline JustJim

« Reply #229 on: November 26, 2013, 08:47:43 pm »
it was only 2500 rmb ...

Sure...you're going over the $50, 000 limit....     what's a few hundred to you... ;D ;D

I would be mad about that one.  I thought all ATM's have cameras...

Offline JustJim

« Reply #230 on: December 02, 2013, 08:55:28 pm »
SO I made it here "no problem" - as everyone says.  I took Robertt S suggestion and just tucked money into my socks...  It was easier than going through the wire transfer thing at the time and at the bank the only problem I had was that they would not accept three of the $100 bills that I brought.  I know...I was told that they only accept "perfect" bills here.  Well, one of them was my fault as I accidentally tore it - just a little - when I was taking the money out of my socks.  The other two looked fine to me - oh well...

Everyday I learn something new about Mei and everyday she amazes me.  The money transfer brought out something new and amazing.  The last time I was here we had a bit of an issue with exchanging money so Mei took my $400 American and got out 2400 RMB from her bank for me.  This time we are discussing the money that we need for all our plans and Mei goes into her purse and she still has the $400 and she throws it into the pot!  I couldn't believe it...  She still had the money from two months ago.  I didn't know what to say.

Anyways, I am doing fine - Mei went into work for a couple of hours today and I went for my first explore on my own.  It was fun - but really I needed the exercise after the long flight and sleeping way too much the last couple of nights.

I really need to practice my Cantonese.  I have two shipments from Pimsleur and that adds up to 32 lessons.  I have only made it through 8.  I will be here until after Christmas so I hope I can learn a lot more.  It is not just being able to converse with Mei...I want to able to talk with her friends and her family.  I can't expect 30 other people to learn English just to accommodate me.

We are going to go to her home town official office on Friday.  In the meantime I pointed out to Mei that the back of the card they give you to fill out says that I am supposed to register with the local police because I not staying at a hotel.  Mei said that she did not think that I need to.  I was wondering what everyone else thinks about this?

Offline Robertt S

• Georgia***Shandong
  • Administrator
  • Too Old for Instagram and Too Young for Life-Alert
« Reply #231 on: December 02, 2013, 09:15:17 pm »
SO I made it here "no problem" - as everyone says.  I took Robertt S suggestion and just tucked money into my socks...  It was easier than going through the wire transfer thing at the time and at the bank the only problem I had was that they would not accept three of the $100 bills that I brought.  I know...I was told that they only accept "perfect" bills here.  Well, one of them was my fault as I accidentally tore it - just a little - when I was taking the money out of my socks.  The other two looked fine to me - oh well...

Everyday I learn something new about Mei and everyday she amazes me.  The money transfer brought out something new and amazing.  The last time I was here we had a bit of an issue with exchanging money so Mei took my $400 American and got out 2400 RMB from her bank for me.  This time we are discussing the money that we need for all our plans and Mei goes into her purse and she still has the $400 and she throws it into the pot!  I couldn't believe it...  She still had the money from two months ago.  I didn't know what to say.

Anyways, I am doing fine - Mei went into work for a couple of hours today and I went for my first explore on my own.  It was fun - but really I needed the exercise after the long flight and sleeping way too much the last couple of nights.

I really need to practice my Cantonese.  I have two shipments from Pimsleur and that adds up to 32 lessons.  I have only made it through 8.  I will be here until after Christmas so I hope I can learn a lot more.  It is not just being able to converse with Mei...I want to able to talk with her friends and her family.  I can't expect 30 other people to learn English just to accommodate me.

We are going to go to her home town official office on Friday.  In the meantime I pointed out to Mei that the back of the card they give you to fill out says that I am supposed to register with the local police because I not staying at a hotel.  Mei said that she did not think that I need to.  I was wondering what everyone else thinks about this?

Jim,
 Just in case you decide to use the electronic processing I was telling you about. You will need this form, so print a couple out and have your wife complete them while you are there. http://www.travel.state.gov/pdf/pk3_supplements/GUZ-PK3-MULT-0006-1303.pdf

Leave lines 1 and 2 blank, she can sign but do not date at this time. She needs to complete one for herself and one for her daughter also.

Best of Luck, Robert
« Last Edit: December 02, 2013, 09:23:37 pm by robertt S »

• Board Moderator
« Reply #232 on: December 02, 2013, 09:21:30 pm »
Depends how long byou bare going to be here.  In both Zhuhai and when I moved to Zhongshan I got visited by the police in my apartments. But I had been longer than 6 weeks in both places by then. 

They just seemed to know where I was to come calling?

Willy
Willy The Lpndoner

Offline Robertt S

• Georgia***Shandong
  • Administrator
  • Too Old for Instagram and Too Young for Life-Alert
« Reply #233 on: December 02, 2013, 09:25:34 pm »
Depends how long byou bare going to be here.  In both Zhuhai and when I moved to Zhongshan I got visited by the police in my apartments. But I had been longer than 6 weeks in both places by then. 

Willy

Willy, most likely you were ratted-out by jealous suitors!    ;D

Offline maxx

« Reply #234 on: December 02, 2013, 11:37:01 pm »
Jim yes you need to register with the police.

Offline fivetrout

« Reply #235 on: December 03, 2013, 12:51:26 am »
I registered when staying at our place in Weihai. Hong gave the officer wedding candy and a pack of cigarettes.

• Board Moderator
« Reply #236 on: December 03, 2013, 04:59:30 am »

Willy

On both occasions they were not really over officious about it. I just said ' Mingtian wo qu'  on each occasion and they were happy.

I did just that and went the following day.  I have been going for so long now that I have build up a sort of relationship with the officer who always deals with me.   I have the personal cell phone number so that I can call so I do not have a wasted journey in case she is out on a shout.

Willy
Willy The Lpndoner

Offline Martin

• Board Moderator
« Reply #237 on: December 03, 2013, 09:16:32 pm »
I don't know why it is even a question. It's the law, and should be adhered to. Why take a chance that you may not be welcome back into the country?

• Board Moderator
« Reply #238 on: December 04, 2013, 12:08:57 am »
I don't know why it is even a question. It's the law, and should be adhered to. Why take a chance that you may not be welcome back into the country?

Yes get banned once and it is at least a ten year wait before you can enter the country again.

Willy
Willy The Lpndoner

Offline JustJim

« Reply #239 on: December 04, 2013, 03:07:16 am »
"No problem"...

All I had to do was to show Mei that you guys said that I was supposed to do it and a phone call later we were on our way...

The police station also wanted a photograph separate from my passport, and it was decided that our wedding photos would be sufficient.

So it is all taken care of, thanks in part to the respect that Mei has for all of your opinions...  She knows all about this site and how much you guys have helped me.

Afterwards we went to tea with a cousin, although Mei calls cousins "brother" or "sister."  She teased me yet again about not eating chicken feet, and today that extended to quail heads, which I got pictures of her eating to gross out my daughter later.  Unfortunately I cannot think of an American equivalent that I eat that she would be reluctant to eat.

We were at a market yesterday and I got pictures of hornets soaking in  liquor and then as I turned around, there they were, little baby rodents of some sort in the bottom of a jar of liquid.  Nothing really phases me at this point, but that was a bit too much.  Still, the camera was ready and those pictures might even gross out my son!!

Mei is going to work a couple of hours a day in the morning, and a few more in the afternoon to cover for someone who had to have a surgery.  This is fine with me.  It gives me some free time to do something that I want without having to explain it.  In the morning I have been going for a walk in this park that is more vertical than it is horizontal, and it is a good workout.  Then I explore the streets and markets for an hour or so and I might buy something that interests me.  Today I was on a search for these ginger candies that I bought the last time I was here.  I spotted the place again when we were out driving around yesterday and today I found it by foot.

If anyone has been to Foshan and knows good places to eat I would love to know about them.  For my part all I can do is warn anyone reading this thread not to eat at a place called Solo Cup.  It is supposed to be styled like a western coffee house, but the service was terrible, and the food portions were miniscule.  Any coffee place that takes 20 minutes to bring you a cup of coffee can't be that good.  Then our two meals were brought 20 minutes apart also.  If they had been crowded I would have understood.  Thinking back now I realize that should have been my first clue. 

Mei doesn't understand the western custom of tipping, and boy was I frustrated at 1)   not being able to speak the language well enough to complain, and 2) not being able to make a statement by not tipping.  My mother owns a restaurant so I know good service.  I also know that if the service is really bad you should not skip the tip entirely - they might assume you forgot - you leave a penny so that the know how you felt about the service.

Writing this little blurb will be the only satisfaction that I get, I guess.

Well, thanks again everyone for your help.  I really appreciate it.   Jim
« Last Edit: December 04, 2013, 03:21:46 am by JustJim »