Author Topic: Translation Hardware/Software recommendations  (Read 6800 times)

Offline Jimmy

• Soon the Family will be Complete.
  • She Was A Wonderful Wife
    • Jim N Libo
RE: Translation Hardware/Software recommendations
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2009, 01:09:57 pm »
I got the Ectaco Partner 900. a little more than I wanted to spend. But it has everything. Even voice recognition. You say a phase into it and it says it back to you in Chinese. I looked at these things for weeks I can not even think of a feature this thing does not have. It even has a few I did'nt know the technology was available for yet. The iTravel is also very nice but this unit is better at helping learn a language.
I got this one from Newegg for $349 they sell for $399 on the company site and come with an accy kit that I bought all the same stuff at walmart for $25
« Last Edit: December 19, 2009, 01:12:37 pm by Jimmy »
Jimmy Henson

brett

« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2009, 04:03:47 pm »
I've just found the pinyin Windows input thing my lady installed on my notebook. I have no idea what it's called in English, but it's much better than the rubbish thing that comes with Windows. I now know quite a few characters so it's a really cool gizmo.

I just rememebered, my lady's translator was a Meijin. It is pretty good for the price.

I might get that Besta from Amazon.com in the new year, maybe they'll have a sale.

Offline Cam

« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2009, 09:41:00 am »
I bought a Noah ND700, does everything needed like type or touch screen with pen, also takes a 2gig micro sd card for playing music or movies, seems to work pretty well and has all sorts of Chinese to English learning on it, it also talks, only problem is it's instructions are all in Chinese, once someone shows you how to use it it's great but buggered if I can work it out half the time, but the girls who have used it seem to be able to handle it no problems, I picked it up in China a few months ago and the standard price seems to be 998rmb.
It will charge off the wall or off your computer & lasts for ages. it will also fit in your back pocket no problem.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2009, 09:45:45 am by Cam »

Offline zook144

« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2009, 12:20:23 pm »
I've been browsing electronic translators and ran across the Ectaco Alpine iTRAVL English to Chinese Translator. A bit expensive, but seems all you have to do is speak into it and it translates. Anyone have any experience with this type of translator or thoughts on it.
Don
The Journey Is The Destination

Offline Jimmy

• Soon the Family will be Complete.
  • She Was A Wonderful Wife
    • Jim N Libo
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2009, 11:39:05 am »
Quote from: 'zook144' pid='26029' dateline='1261329623'

I've been browsing electronic translators and ran across the Ectaco Alpine iTRAVL English to Chinese Translator. A bit expensive, but seems all you have to do is speak into it and it translates. Anyone have any experience with this type of translator or thoughts on it.
Don

It's great for travel it has some CIA data or something. The one I got the Ectaco Partner 900 has all the same stuff except the CIA Data and I got it because it is better if you are going to use it to learn Chinese, or in my case leave it for my wife to learn English. Newegg had them all cheaper than the MFG site
Jimmy Henson

Offline Oiler1

« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2010, 05:07:11 pm »
I heard some bad things about Ectaco.

Offline zook144

« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2010, 11:16:03 pm »
I received my Ectaco ITravel translator a couple weeks ago. I must admit I am still trying to figure out how to use it. I have it pretty much
figured out translating everything into Chinese. But cannot seem to change over to Chinese to English. Especially on the text translation. It provides a keyboard to type your words from english to chinese, but I would think you could change the keyboard to Chinese, so the lady could type her phrase and change to English. I swear i got it changed over once, but for the life of me, cannot do it again.
Jimmy, if you read this. Do you have an answer for this? Or anybody have an answer?

Don

Offline Voiceroveip

• Frank for you
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2010, 08:52:05 am »
Hmmm, the Besta MT-7000 has a little button, press it and the interface language changes from English to Chinese and vice versa. The touch screen writing makes entering Chinese characters a breeze, although you do need to know how to write Chinese :icon_cheesygrin::icon_cheesygrin: Entering English language can be done on a virtual keyboard with a stylus, or through handwriting recognition, for me the virtual keyboard is faster.

It's a multimedia player as well, and it is able to read SD cards, even my SDHC with 8gb although it was not full, the manual states 2GB max capacity. It seems easier to use because I got the hang of it very fast and only looked at the manual later, and not in detail. It also provides a series of animated Chinese lessons as well as a standard phrase book sorted by situation, I learned a few bits from it. The only thing entirely in Chinese are the video games.

It's been used extensively on 2 trips, what's nice is that Chinese who don't know it can use it instantaneously to write to you, it dropped from 3-4 feet on a very hard floor and still works, the battery seems to last several days if you don't use it all the time, the screen's display quality and backlight are excellent, it seems to be very scratch resistant and it charges off USB ports so no need for a charger in the bag. Charge time to full is over 3 hours, I usually plug it in when going to sleep.

In short, I can only recommend it, and I am not affiliated with Besta. The only downside is people will want to keep it because it's so nice ...

Frank
« Last Edit: January 20, 2010, 08:52:32 am by Voiceroveip »
Go deep or don't go

Offline RobertBfrom aust

• Sujuan [Yo ] is my tai tai
  • Robert and Sujuan [Yo ] at home .
    • bopads.info
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2010, 09:17:20 am »
Could not agree with you more Frank , our Besta brought out the besta in my fiancee , he he , regards Robert .
Now it is early to bed and late to rise .
My QQ is   1994376895
For electronics and books etc , check out , www.bopads.info

brett

« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2010, 10:06:11 am »
I'd quite like one of these although I got 60% in my Mandarin test so maybe I won't need one for my next trip lol.

I like the look of the CD-637P - I think it is the same as the 7000 (but for an extra $100 you get a keyboard).

Does anyone know if you can get translator software for Windows XP/Windows Mobile? It would be useful to have something available offline for when Google's translator becomes unavailable (quite a frequenty occurrence when I was there!). I have a Windows Mobile phrasebook and dictionary, but an offline translator would be cool as well.

Thanks!

Offline Voiceroveip

• Frank for you
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2010, 03:35:50 pm »
That's pretty expensive for a keyboard ... considering it will be tiny as well. I found the touch screen entry very convenient, although if ou write a novel then :angel: I would be worried by the size of the unit as the MT-7000 is already not small without a keyboard. To give you an idea, it's a good bit bigger than an iPhone.

I attached some pics, note the keys on my keyboard are standard size, just the layout is compact.
The Besta keyboard would be a wide as the distance between Q and U including those letters on a QWERTY keyboard, quite small.

[attachment=1357][attachment=1358]
« Last Edit: January 20, 2010, 04:54:19 pm by Voiceroveip »
Go deep or don't go

Offline zook144

« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2010, 05:08:27 pm »
Frank, Robert....Did you buy your Besta in China or elsewhere?  if I can't figure out this Ectaco, I may have to buy Sha one when I get to China. Probably cheaper there anyway.  I assumed you could write text on this Ectaco also, but that is something else I have not been able to do. Maybe I'll read the manual:icon_biggrin:   Just kidding...already have...sort of.
Don

Offline Voiceroveip

• Frank for you
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2010, 05:27:24 pm »
Quote from: 'zook144' pid='28839' dateline='1264025307'

Frank, Robert....Did you buy your Besta in China or elsewhere?  if I can't figure out this Ectaco, I may have to buy Sha one when I get to China. Probably cheaper there anyway.  I assumed you could write text on this Ectaco also, but that is something else I have not been able to do. Maybe I'll read the manual:icon_biggrin:   Just kidding...already have...sort of.
Don

Don, I bought it online in Singapore, it came in 5 days and the price was really good. This is where. The MT-7000 is at 399 Singapore dollars, the SGD exchange is around 1 SGD to 0.72USD, so around US$ 287.

Frank

PS there is a special offer for 372 SGD now ...
« Last Edit: January 20, 2010, 05:31:48 pm by Voiceroveip »
Go deep or don't go

Offline RobertBfrom aust

• Sujuan [Yo ] is my tai tai
  • Robert and Sujuan [Yo ] at home .
    • bopads.info
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2010, 02:21:36 am »
Don , I fluked my top of the line model on Ebay , was only 3 months old when i bought it cost me about 300.00 US$ and is magic , Ying could not speak much English at all , now it is hard to shut her up , not that I want to , I love the mix of accents , we use a Besta 637p , regards Ying and Robert .
Now it is early to bed and late to rise .
My QQ is   1994376895
For electronics and books etc , check out , www.bopads.info

ttwjr32

« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2010, 09:45:35 am »
its hard to shut my wife up also
 i love it when she gets excited tslking and goes from english to chinese to english
 makes for quite a funny conversation. someone once told me  wow you go thru a
 lot in these relationships. they dont understand that i think we both go thru a lot
 in these relationships and i think its even harder for the lady who leaves china after living there
 all her life. quite a sacrifice to be with us on her part