Author Topic: Translation Hardware/Software recommendations  (Read 6799 times)

Offline Oiler1

RE: Translation Hardware/Software recommendations
« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2010, 06:06:06 am »
Quote from: 'Voiceroveip' pid='28842' dateline='1264026444'

Quote from: 'zook144' pid='28839' dateline='1264025307'

Frank, Robert....Did you buy your Besta in China or elsewhere?  if I can't figure out this Ectaco, I may have to buy Sha one when I get to China. Probably cheaper there anyway.  I assumed you could write text on this Ectaco also, but that is something else I have not been able to do. Maybe I'll read the manual:icon_biggrin:   Just kidding...already have...sort of.
Don

Don, I bought it online in Singapore, it came in 5 days and the price was really good. This is where. The MT-7000 is at 399 Singapore dollars, the SGD exchange is around 1 SGD to 0.72USD, so around US$ 287.

Frank

PS there is a special offer for 372 SGD now ...

Does the cost include postage and duty?

Offline Voiceroveip

• Frank for you
« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2010, 10:14:09 am »
Quote from: 'Oiler1' pid='30064' dateline='1265108766'

No, but I paid less than 200€ in total (simulate a basket for the shipping, it was cheap),  duty did not happen in France as they ship per EMS, and I don't pay sales tax as it gets billed to my company which is exempt, not that anyone claimed anything anyway, but that could vary depending on where you are. (Oh no, saying that will cost me another round of drinks I guess :icon_cheesygrin:)

You could ask them to put a lower face value on the parcel and mark it as gift if you worry about that.

Frank
« Last Edit: February 02, 2010, 10:14:46 am by Voiceroveip »
Go deep or don't go

Offline Oiler1

« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2010, 01:35:34 pm »
Quote from: 'Voiceroveip' pid='30072' dateline='1265123649'

Quote from: 'Oiler1' pid='30064' dateline='1265108766'

No, but I paid less than 200€ in total (simulate a basket for the shipping, it was cheap),  duty did not happen in France as they ship per EMS, and I don't pay sales tax as it gets billed to my company which is exempt, not that anyone claimed anything anyway, but that could vary depending on where you are. (Oh no, saying that will cost me another round of drinks I guess :icon_cheesygrin:)

You could ask them to put a lower face value on the parcel and mark it as gift if you worry about that.

Frank

Is it dual voltage 110-220V? Also the electrical plug is for Singapore so do you have to buy an additional adapter plug for your country?

Offline Voiceroveip

• Frank for you
« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2010, 01:50:50 pm »
It came with a dual voltage plug for Europe, it looks like they will send what fits your location. It charges off USB anyway, I never use the adapter ...
Go deep or don't go

Offline Oiler1

« Reply #34 on: February 02, 2010, 02:05:05 pm »
I don't have a laptop so I have to use the adaptor. Looks like I have to buy a HK and China adaptor. It is a bit more expensive in Canada by about $30-50 depending if I get charged duty so I think I will buy in Canada as my time is short . I get a 1 yr warranty in Canada anyway.

Offline Voiceroveip

• Frank for you
« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2010, 07:14:21 pm »
Don't hassle with adapters all hotels I've seen have wall sockets that accept Chinese/US/Euro plugs ... and if you find a place that doesn't, an adapter will cost next to nothing. For 30$ difference I wouldn't hassle over it, I bought it there because it can't be found in Europe ...
Go deep or don't go

Offline Bee964

• Found someone!
  • Dave & YanLing
« Reply #36 on: February 05, 2010, 10:30:36 am »
So I get this EMF from my lady and there is a sentence in chinese in it. Does anybody have software suggestions or a proceedure to translate it? :huh:
Life is like a jar of Jalapenos-- What you eat today will burn your ass tomorrow!.

Vince G

« Reply #37 on: February 05, 2010, 10:51:18 am »
Google Translate

Offline Bee964

• Found someone!
  • Dave & YanLing
« Reply #38 on: February 05, 2010, 01:13:29 pm »
Yea, I tried that. I have never been able to copy and paste. I guess that I need a computer course before I go any further. Found a trial software that is interesting though, just put your cursor on the word, hold down the control key and right click for translation of the word or phrase. It will do the entire document too. But this translation was confusing to me. I know that it may be close to what she is saying though. I noticed that some of the characters were a little differentfrom what was written. I will continue with the google translate. I liked the google translate for the web pages.
Ok, I figured out the google translate. Now, if I could only remember how to tile two open tabs.....
Thanks everybody for any and all help. Some forums don't have patience for newbies.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2010, 01:24:16 pm by Bee964 »
Life is like a jar of Jalapenos-- What you eat today will burn your ass tomorrow!.

ttwjr32

« Reply #39 on: February 05, 2010, 07:15:12 pm »
one of the benefits of this forum is everyone is helpful and patient
because we have all been there at one time or other. you can find a vast
majority of topics here that are helpful and you can also find the humorous
ones like the  for the laugh that David keeps us in laughter with. and every once in
a while a few members get into a heated conversation which keeps it interesting here
enjoy your stay here and may your journey be a successful one Bee 964.  by the way
what does bee964 stand for??

Offline Bee964

• Found someone!
  • Dave & YanLing
« Reply #40 on: February 06, 2010, 05:28:05 am »
Ahhhh someone asked. Well I have had some problems with my memory. Where I worked, automobile manufacturing, they wanted us to go paperless and log every entry into the mainframe. I don't have a problem with this at all. The problem was they wanted you to use your ID, of which they gave me 2 of for some reason, and a password. The password had to change every month and you could not use the same letters, numbers sequence,... in 2 years. So to help me remember I used my car. I had used my pets names, my kids name, even the 7 words. You had to write down the user ID and password to remember most times. Not too secure. The car is a numbered car, #964 of 1000. I am canadian. Of the 1000 they only built 75 canadian ones. The last year they only built 425. They built those cars for three years. Only 75 the first year, 75 the second year, and about 37 the third year. With only 187 of them over three years it may very well be a thing of value. I have to put it away soon. I love driving it. Every notable place I take it, I take a picture of it. Anyways, to make a long story short, I just started using my car and its number for everything. Yes, my e-mail, superbee964@hotmail.com. or gmail.com. When I retired I asked them, since I have 2 corporate ID numbers, do I get 2 pension cheques every month? They just laughed. :icon_cheesygrin: As a side note, the car gets about 26 MPG. Just drove to florida at christmas. From detroit to sarasota to st. augustine to sarasota to detroit, $251 in gas. If I havn't cleared the trip odometer I will tell the you kilometers in total. I have only taken it for an oil change and back to the dealer to fix a leak and check the car over. I drive an old pick up truck in the winter.

Hows your chinese classes going? I had signed up for them here but because the class only had a couple students they cancelled the class. I have been experimenting with google translate but I have noticed the characters are a little different sometimes.

Dave C

ttwjr32

« Reply #41 on: February 06, 2010, 06:22:03 am »
super bee  i remember the older ones very well as i almost got killed in one
many many years ago hot rodding around racing:huh: a lot biger back hen and fast
was a good car until the pole got in front of it.  the chinese classes are on hold until
after the new year  the progress is slow but will get better, as i said before i am learing
shorter phrases so i can eventually put sentences together. learning 1 word at a time
wasnt working that well as far as talking normal sentences so we will see were i am in
the end of the year.  as far as memory thats another story  hahaha but i do wake up each
morning thankful for what i have and were i am at:icon_biggrin:

Offline Bee964

• Found someone!
  • Dave & YanLing
« Reply #42 on: February 06, 2010, 06:42:30 am »
I wish I was in your position. I would love a change of scenery and attitudes. I would easily give up the car for that. the programs I told you about, the living language one tries to teach you by starting off with individual words and progresses to sentences. There are 4 discs. I am almost done the second disc. They are into conversations by then. I found it great for learning the pronounciation of the words. I could never get the little accents on a word for pronounciation, most anyways. I would put a disc in the radio of a vehicle and listen to it as I repaired it. I did have one unit try to keep one of my discs though. I had to replace the radio and take the other one apart to get my disc out. I had since made copies of the originals and keep them in a safe place. The guys I worked with thought I was nuts for trying to learn. There were a couple that have eastern wives. They had been through this process. Thats what got me started on this route.

I gotta stop these long winded posts. And stay on topic.

Dave C