Author Topic: Translation Hardware/Software recommendations  (Read 6801 times)

Offline Irishman

• Muireadach and Sunny
    • http://www.chinaromance.net
Translation Hardware/Software recommendations
« on: April 22, 2009, 09:06:23 pm »
I've been reading around various sites on the web and I think the cheapest biggest bang for my buck will be to get a Dell Axim 51V (around 80 euro on Ebay) + Pleco 2 software to load on to it ($100 for "Pro" bundle) for a total outlay of about ?180 euro.
This gives me written input - typed plus character recognition (write the character on the touchscreen using finger or stylus), spoken output as well as written , as well as various Chinese learning tools such as flash cards etc which a regular translator device wouldn't. The equivalent in a dedicated translator seems to run $350 upwards.
Of course I get the all the other stuff that comes with the Axim PDA too, not that I'll use them much probably. I wonder if Skype can be put on these things? - could call home for cheap using it maybe, have to look into that.

I'm wondering if anyone else here had tried Pleco and have any thoughts on it?, or indeed has recommendations for other translators, Besta seems to be a popular brand.

This is a topic that crops up fairly frequently on the chnlove official forum, I think it would be good to have one here as a reference on the useful links forum if we get a few suggestions and product reviews by owners here. I'll update with pics etc once I get my stuff set-up with the Axim.

If anyone has a translation device maybe they could give a brief description along the lines of :-

Manufacturer =
    • Model -[/*:m]
    • Cost -[/*:m]
    • Pros -[/*:m]
    • Cons -[/*:m][/list:u]

Thanks,

Ronan.
    Become the change you want today, or all your tomorrows will be like yesterday.

Offline Ed W

Re: Translation Hardware/Software recommendations
    « Reply #1 on: April 23, 2009, 02:09:58 am »
    http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/21269 ... V650_.html

Here's the one Xindi and I have been using. It does a lot more than we've been using it for but it seems to work really well.
    Alright earthlings, what form do you want me to take?....How about a taco, ....that craps icecream?  My trip to china

Offline JimB

• http://www.jandyenterprises.com
    « Reply #2 on: April 29, 2009, 01:31:12 pm »
    I got the Besta for her.  She uses it constantly. I got it there at an upscale store and it cost 1900 Yuan.  It also has character recognition translates both ways and it does more but we only use it for the translator.  She only has good things to say about it.  They had more expensive ones but that works great.
    Maxx's 24 hour rule, learn it, live it.

Vince G

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2009, 03:15:02 pm »
    I took the recommendation from most here and told my lady about the Besta. She said there is a Labor day coming up (lowered price sale)so she'll go shopping for it then. Girl after my own heart.  :)  Buy the good stuff cheap.

Offline JimB

• http://www.jandyenterprises.com
    « Reply #4 on: April 29, 2009, 05:04:16 pm »
    For translation software for my computer, I use LEC.  It does a pretty good lob.  One thing about it I really like is it translates into chinese then translates that back into English so you can see what you are telling them.  So you can change the words or move them around until you get it right.  Saves a lot of misunderstandings.  Different sites carry it. I searched a little bit and got it about $20 cheaper than from LEC. It has been so long ago I dont remember where I got it from.  Us old guys have terrible memories until it comes to money . lol

Just FYI.Office Depot is now doing passport Photos.  They tell me all the stores are doing them.  And Vince, I applied and am told I will get a 12 month multiple entry passport.  And not because I am getting married.  I have 1.  A valid passport, with more than a 15 month time remaining  2. I have been to China within the last five years and 3. My other China Visa is in my passport. with a stamp and no other stamps than the Offiicial Chinese one.

My guy at VistaRite says there should be no problem.
    Maxx's 24 hour rule, learn it, live it.

Offline kenny

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2009, 11:28:48 am »
    I looked at the besta website and there are many models. Which one do you guys think is the best for the money?

Offline Philip

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2009, 01:04:27 pm »
    Kenny,
    I've got the Besta CD 869, which is one of the latest models and it does most things you would want, speaks the translation, has a pen to write on the screen and has possibilities to download stuff using a USB connection. Some earlier versions do this too. Mine was about $300 from Ebay.

Offline kenny

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2009, 01:20:58 pm »
    Thanks Alex I will check these out on Ebay.
    Kenny

Offline UK Mark

RE: Translation Hardware/Software recommendations
    « Reply #8 on: May 17, 2009, 06:31:51 pm »
    Ronan - did you ever get the Dell and Pleco 2 ? .. if so what are your thoughts on it
    Dreams can come true

Offline cdstg

• Craig
    « Reply #9 on: May 18, 2009, 02:16:47 am »
    I have the Pleco 2 on my Treo phone its great but not as good as my  girls translator
    for translating but for learning its good

It works better for going from chinese to english than english to chinese

I also found I like the tuttle dictionary better than the oxford one that the base version comes with
    Its a great tool if you are learning chinese though and know a little bit.

Having on the phone is also great as for skype if you phone can do wifi then yes you can install skype and use that on it as well and of course its also a phone to

Offline RobertBfrom aust

• Sujuan [Yo ] is my tai tai
    • Robert and Sujuan [Yo ] at home .
      • bopads.info
    « Reply #10 on: May 18, 2009, 03:27:08 am »
    Samemeldrum1 , I have used the Besta MD8290 again purchased in China , they are made in Taiwan , can only say great , just a pity in stores there only Chinese directions , but I note on www.Powerdictionary.com they also have the English directions available , and a price of 299 plus postage which is not to bad , regards Robert .
    They also have more expensive models now including wi fi , just to confuse .
    Now it is early to bed and late to rise .
    My QQ is   1994376895
    For electronics and books etc , check out , www.bopads.info

Offline Peter

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2009, 10:39:12 am »
    We also bought a Besta in April but my Lady was not happy with it... She had an old one from    
    Shenzhen Koridy Electronic Technology Co., Ltd called V650. She said that the old one was more accurate
    in the translation... It have all the things that you have in the Besta that we bought and it seems to be a lot more cheaper that the Besta too..
    The only problem is that the menus is all in Chinese..
    « Last Edit: May 18, 2009, 10:39:34 am by Peter »
    Better to be married to a wife from Changsha then have 7000 women in Chnlove

Offline Oiler1

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2009, 07:20:13 pm »
    Buy a Besta in the USA or Canada and you will have menus and instruction books in English. These modesl are geared for the English speaker learning Chinese and not the other way around though they can be used for that purpose too.

Offline Voiceroveip

• Frank for you
    « Reply #13 on: December 07, 2009, 02:54:08 pm »
    I have the Besta MT-7000

Fully touch screen, did me great in China. Chinese can write directly on screen, we use a virtual keyboard, you flick languages and menus in an instant, really easy to use (I never touched the manual which does come in both English and Chinese), battery lasts easily a full day and it charges off USB so even off your laptop should you be in need of power.

It also dispenses some Chinese lessons with video animations, has a standard phrases list and can say anything you write. Sound is OK although mp3 compression is noticable, but still usable.

It seems to be solid, I dropped it from 5 feet height on a granite floor, no damage, and the touch screen shows no trace of scratches from the intensive writing on it.

I can only recommend it. Just a bit big to carry in a jeans pocket although it's slim and lightish, it's really the only flaw I can find, well and finger prints love this thing.

There is one for sale here for USD 300, but I did get it for less from Singapore, the link is somewhere in another thread
    Go deep or don't go

brett

« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2009, 03:45:19 pm »
    That reminds me, I must buy a Besta 7000 at some point. If it helps with learning Chinese it would be useful.

My lady had quite a nice translator, I can't remember the brand (meijin or something?). It was all in Chinese, but it appeared to be a rip off Windows Mobile type thing with all kinds of of translator software installed. It's translations were pretty much identical to what Google comes up with.

I have some Windows mobile software. I got a nice dictionary/travel phrasebook shareware thing. The dictionary was really useful for showing my lady the names of things. I've also installed something that allows you to type pinyin and see chinese characters. I'm not sure if I'll buy the full version as it's a bit buggy.