Author Topic: NZ imigration my sad storry  (Read 4801 times)

Offline craig

NZ imigration my sad storry
« on: July 11, 2009, 09:48:41 pm »
I can post now yeah

Anyway my sad sorry I have known my partner for one year now
and visited her for one month in January and then we decided to apply for a visa for her to come there were some issues we need to sort out so did not apply to may and after waiting this week we were told NO

The reason that was give was that we do not belive that your partnership is stable and likely to endure and the main reasons are we do not belive you can communicate affectively as a couple and we don't think you have spent enough time together physically. They also considered my partner as just a vistor without me helping and said they do not belive that she has a enough social or economic reason to leave here ( even though  she has a young son and a house )

Because you may not know in NZ there is no visa for finance or married person. But there is visitors visa as partner that can last 2 years or work visa as partner which also can last two years. and there is residence  visa but for that you must have lived together for 12 months first.

For the partner ones you must have meet ( they do not say how long)
and be over 18 and to be the sponsoring partner have not sponsored someone else in the last 5 years and not have no convictions of abuse etc etc and you have to be agree to support partners living costs with bank records and pay slips etc etc .

So apart  form a lot of paper that was easy. Then there is a second part you must prove the relationship is stable and likely to endure.

So we sent photos and letters phone records chat records and copies of cards and things for birthdays Then then they called us and interviewed us and then I knew there was an issue she is like your partner speaks little English I m like true but we communicated fine just look at all the phone records and besides when we also speak Chinese ( though I speak like a 3 yld in Chinese ) so she fires of some high speed Chinese and I ask her to slow down in Chinese but she does not. Then she is like we get back to you.

Then an email saying here is a problem please answer before we make our decision so that is one good thing that they must tell you the problem and give you a chance to respond.  So I got my freinds and chinese teacher to write letters and my daughter and my partner did the same.

A week later they wrote a sorry letter again and and said we considered your answers but we do not feel that  and you have no right of appeal.

So I called the visa officer in Beijing and asked her to explain she is like fix the communications and it should not be a problem so I have asked in an email for her to write that down.

I hope so as if she does maybe we can try for a student visa to learn English to show we are fixing the problem

They did make some procedural mistakes and I have records of that and can complain about that but you get the feeling if you complain that it will only be harder next time .

Its a bloody bastered and I would be in China now but I look after my son and the current job I m in they will not let me take leave for 6 months because of the critical project im on

and i thought the US was hard
'

Offline maxx

RE: NZ imigration my sad storry
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2009, 01:33:03 am »
Craig the only thing I can suggest is have a immagration attorney look at your paperwork and your ladies paperwork.See if the attorney can't get tis pushed threw
« Last Edit: July 12, 2009, 02:00:22 am by maxx »

Offline Danny

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2009, 01:52:59 am »
Quote from: 'maxx' pid='8159' dateline='1247376783'

Craig the only thing I can suggest is have a immagration attorney look at your paperwork and your ladies paperwork.See if the attorney can't get tis pushed threw

I am really sorry about this. I really think you need to get some expert advice.

There is probably some other way through this.

There might be some kind of compromise. They might be prepared, for example, to give you a two year tourist visa, and then agree to review it after that time.

There might be no appeal of this particular decision, but if you ask them to make another, different decision, that gives them a chance to make a different decision.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2009, 02:00:39 am by maxx »

Offline craig

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2009, 03:51:52 am »
yes I m waiting for my friend to come back from the UK as he does that for UK people moving here he is back in a couple of weeks and see what he thinks

I emailed him and said there are a few options but some take longer than others

There is some government ombudsman  that you can complain to but that takes forever
and one other option is to talk to my Member of parliament to get them to get things moving

I also emailed the Visa officer to confirm if that one item communication was the only issue
as that is what the letter we got stated and I also asked her if it was only her decision
So  I  will have to wait a week of so  to get my friends advice

Offline Danny

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2009, 04:19:51 am »
Quote from: 'craig' pid='8167' dateline='1247385112'

yes I m waiting for my friend to come back from the UK as he does that for UK people moving here he is back in a couple of weeks and see what he thinks

I emailed him and said there are a few options but some take longer than others

There is some government ombudsman  that you can complain to but that takes forever
and one other option is to talk to my Member of parliament to get them to get things moving

I also emailed the Visa officer to confirm if that one item communication was the only issue
as that is what the letter we got stated and I also asked her if it was only her decision
So  I  will have to wait a week of so  to get my friends advice

I would only use the appeals as a last resort, when you have tried everything else and failed.

I would also try to talk to the people who are involved in your case in the immigration department.

No matter how upset you are, try to be friendly with them. Ask them whether they have any suggestions about the way forward.

If you need to vent, do it somewhere else than when you are talking to the bureaucrats. They are only applying the rules as they understand them. It's nothing personal to them.

If you don't have money to get paid immigration advice, contact a legal aid office. They might be able to suggest someone who is able to help.

What you need at the moment is information about the rules and information about what you have to meet immigration requirements.

Stay focused!

Scottish_Rob

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2009, 04:50:43 am »
Hey man really sorry to hear that............:s

Offline ahkiwi

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2009, 08:37:33 pm »
Thanks for sharing Craig

It something that I may be going through at some point (hopefully)

Please keep us updated as to the outcome
World Famous in New Zealand since ages ago.

Ali (???)
QQ: 860848209

Offline Ed W

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2009, 09:11:22 pm »
Quote from: 'maxx' pid='8159' dateline='1247376783'

Craig, although a immigration lawyer would be beneficial I think if she were to hunker down and put a great deal of effort into learning your native language she probably would satisfy the concerns of immigration.

sorry i missed this and responding so late but better late than never eh?

best of luck to you.
Alright earthlings, what form do you want me to take?....How about a taco, ....that craps icecream?  My trip to china

feisnik

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2009, 11:42:54 pm »
In America, it is always best to have visited many times. Visiting 1 time can make it very hard to get the visa for her. We also have to show proof of correspondence, (i.e. emails, phone records, etc.) the trips, etc.

Offline Willy The Londoner

• Beyond The Dream in China
  • Board Moderator
  • Hair today - gone tomorrow!!
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2009, 12:36:39 am »
The uK is the same as Feisnik says for the USA.  I have had previous experience with getting visas for UK.  They want lots of information. Photos taken over a long period of time.  Details of phone calls.  Copies of correspondence between the two of you and usually they will give entry for two years as spouse of ....... with no right od public funding or assistance.

Then if there is an age gap you are both likely to be called to Sheffield for interviews before granting a leave to remain visa.

There they will ask all sorts of questions to ascertain if you have been living together for the previous two years.  Questions concverning the bederoom - no not what your thinking - but where is the bedroom clock, what colour is the bedroom walls ands how many wardsrobwes, chest of drawers etc.  And the favourite is 'What day are the dustbins emptied.

When all these hurdles are cleared, then after three years,  they can apply for citizenship where amongst other things is a language test.

Willy
Willy The Lpndoner

Now in my 12th year living here,

Arnold

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2009, 12:56:22 am »
I have a question, which this subject brought about ?
This trouble with each countries immagration department , what would a Man do ? To go through all this trouble , besides for a wonderful Wife ? Maybe for a Million Dollar's ? What else ,. if there is anything else ?

Arnold

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2009, 11:17:28 am »
Bless that Family ! Bless their Heart's !
May Simeon soon have a little Sister. I can imagine ( never thought of this ) "that" paperwork got to be even paintaking , time consumming and even more Heart-breaking if it was not to work out .
Makes what we go through  , waiting for our Wife's to be with us ... look not so bad .

Scottish_Rob

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2009, 03:50:41 pm »
it is not just a language problem, it is because they have Downs Syndrome, and and special needs....

Please pray that Liz, and Dan can go to China and get there little girl very soon!

Mike I'm with you on this mate....:icon_biggrin:

Offline David K

• Yan Wang xxxx
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2009, 07:01:52 pm »
Hi Craig

Sorry to hear of your tribulations

I'm in a similar situation. I've applied to sponsor my lady for a 2 month visitors permit, so she can see NZ and make an informed decision about her future. However NZ Immigration in HongKong have declined the application once and are attempting to try to decline the second re-application. The reason given is that they have concerns that she might attempt to overstay at the end of the two month visit. This is entirely ridiculous; that with no money, no grasp of colloquial NZ speech (yes english words, but full of slang and difficult to understand) and no connection with the chinese community, she would suddenly head for the hills.
The attitude of the Immigration staff is appalling - that you are guilty until you can prove yourself innocent. It has caused offense in CHina, which is a touch larger country than NZ and an important trade partner, and I am bound to say that some of the native chinese staff seem to delight in humiliating the applicant, although they hide behind the rhetoric of 'immigration policy'.  
My lady was told she had to prove she had a bank balance of RNB50,000 for 6 months as a prerequisite for visiting this county. She was also told she had to prove a family connection. Then, even is spite of submitting numbers of family photos, she was told she did not have a family connection with China.

At that stage, I decided to engage the family lawyer; my lady is a wilting lily around authority figures; he is a firece lion. There was immediatley a change in attitude and even more a retreat into civil servant obstructionism. However, NZ, as a democracy, puts its Immigration Policy manual on line, and one of the things underpinning it is that all decisions must be fully documented and in line with fairness and natural justice. So that is the tack we are taking. Interestingly, our Prime Minister is mounting a campaign to encourage visitors to the country, while his fine civil servants in NZI are doing their best to discourage them. And we pay their salaries :-(

More as it unfolds :-)
David K in Auckland
Nothing Real can be threatened; nothing unreal exists

David5o

« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2009, 08:34:36 pm »
DAVID K.

It's an unfortunate fact that all the embassy's in China , and indeed around the world, have this element of local staff, that seem to be hell bent on making life as hard as possible for a fellow countryman to gain an entry visa of that country.

I find it degrading myself, when i have to visit a British embassy while working overseas. You always seem to be arguing the toss with someone that isn't even British, ..you can't do this or that regarding your passport. What an absolute bloody cheek that is..... I always demand to see the chief passport or immigration officer now, as soon as anything starts getting difficult.

I've found that there are normally only one or two nationals of the embassy's country, in any of the citizen service departments, ....the rest are local nationals!!
Few of us realise, that these embassy's are not there to help there citizens, there, there for business users, we are just a pain in there side, that they have to cater for....  

David.....